• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

If you've played the original Deus Ex, you'd know you definitely can.

I did, but on this one, everytime I hit one specific location it blew up. I figured at that point it was just scripted.

Fantastic. I assume that after the fight my augs stop freaking out?

Bad news, you can't do that if
your augs are turned off, also after you kill him you'll get your augs back

What weapons do you have on you? If you have an AR with the flechette upgrade you can spam him from behind cover.

if you don't, look around the room, the statues bases have weapons, in one there's a really powerfull laser rifle. If you are underarmed, grab it, it can shoot through walls.

Double D

I did, but on this one, everytime I hit one specific location it blew up. I figured at that point it was just scripted.

Bad news, you can't do that if
your augs are turned off, also after you kill him you'll get your augs back

What weapons do you have on you? If you have an AR with the flechette upgrade you can spam him from behind cover.

if you don't, look around the room, the statues bases have weapons, in one there's a really powerfull laser rifle. If you are underarmed, grab it, it can shoot through walls.

God damnit that fucking sucks. Well, I actually have a laser rifle in my inventory. I tried to use it a couple times against him but he'd just instakill me.

I'm going to start my second playthrough of this game soon. Is the DLC worth it? It's a shame they haven't released anything else. Doesn't seem to bode well for a sequel.

Double D

I'm going to start my second playthrough of this game soon. Is the DLC worth it? It's a shame they haven't released anything else. Doesn't seem to bode well for a sequel.

I really should have played this on PC. I bought this at launch for 360, barely played it, and returned to it a few days ago. Should have taken that as an opportunity to play it on my newly-rebuilt PC. I probably could have hacked my way out of this debacle I'm in if that were the case.

Tess3ract

Banned
As someone who's beaten the game I don't think it's that big of a deal. It's not really mentioned except once and the only real purpose is to do a switcheroo that makes a boss harder. I'm glad to have been spoiled on that before I got to that point in the game.

Double D

It spoils nothing. If people haven't played this game yet, they deserve to know this in advance. If I could, I would seriously put it as the first line in the OP. It's maddening. And it serves as a tool to frustrate the player.

Yes it is a spoiler. I would be pissed if I hadn't finished the game yet and read that. Don't intentionally spoil it just because you got frustrated over it.

Yes it is a spoiler. I would be pissed if I hadn't finished the game yet and read that. Don't intentionally spoil it just because you got frustrated over it.
This. Don't assume ANYTHING when talking about spoilers. I for one would be very pissed if I read that and haven't beaten the game.
We have the spoiler tags people, use them.

CatPee

It spoils nothing. If people haven't played this game yet, they deserve to know this in advance. If I could, I would seriously put it as the first line in the OP. It's maddening. And it serves as a tool to frustrate the player.

You do realize that at that point in the game, it makes it painfully obvious that something's up, right? Even so, that's a massive fucking spoiler and you should fuckity motherfucking tag it, fuckhead.

Protip: grenades.

Double D

I expect you guys to form a support group for me when I get home and try my hand at this guy later on. I can't remember a game that I've enjoyed so much but has also made me want to quit immediately during certain portions.

Double D

Can't beat him. Threw every grenade I had at him and used every bullet I had. My closest save before the 'incident' is right before I leave Sarif
with Malik and ultimately get the chopper shot out of the sky. I'm going to try and save her this time.
Only problem is I currently have no sniper rifle, which I'm pretty sure would make this next thing pretty easy.

Can I acquire a Sniper Rifle at this point? Is there an armory at the Sarif Building?

edit: Nevermind about the sniper rifle. I just
threw a grenade at the helicopter to help put her out of her misery quicker

Double D

Does the side mission with
Meng Yao
change anything later on if I do it or not? I'd rather skip since I've already done it.

Double D, if you still have your save against
namir try blindfiring the laser. It has the advantage of being perfectly accurate even if blindfired. He can't hit you if blind firing.
Otherwise good luck getting back to him in a timely fashion.

As much as I'm enjoying the game, some sections are just way too long (and drag on). Question: I'm currently at (location spoiler)
Detroit during the riots
, any idea how far I am into the game ?
Depending on how much time you like to spend investigating your surroundings,
you're probably around 3/5. The last few areas are quicker than the first three in the game, so the second half will likely go much quicker.

Double D

Finished it. Can't say I've ever completed a game in the same sitting that I had to backtrack about 2.5 hours to start off. That last boss battle was confusing but overall much better than the rest. Was that one also outsourced or was it just the others?

Most of this game was excellent. Specific parts were grueling.

I've already beaten this on PS3 but with the series on sale on Steam I think I can get Deus Ex: HR + The Missing Link for less than the DLC alone on Steam. Do I need to have a save file or anything for HR to play Missing Link or can I just jump in? Do augs or choices or anything carry over from the main game?

I've already beaten this on PS3 but with the series on sale on Steam I think I can get Deus Ex: HR + The Missing Link for less than the DLC alone on Steam. Do I need to have a save file or anything for HR to play Missing Link or can I just jump in? Do augs or choices or anything carry over from the main game?

Completely separate from the main game. Disappointingly so.

Tess3ract

Banned
The pod thing actually goes into the missing link, that whole segment might as well have been ripped out of the game in order to do dlc.

Gonna have to disagree about the level design and gameplay though, they were top notch. The boss battles are shit, the music owns.

I never wanted the game to end.

eosos

Banned
Anyone else getting poor performance on this game? I have a gtx 480 and it keeps stuttering a ton. This shouldn't be happening.

Anyone else getting poor performance on this game? I have a gtx 480 and it keeps stuttering a ton. This shouldn't be happening.

Out in open areas? It's a bug. If you were to run an fps counter it would show normal high yet you would still have stutter.

There is a fan made fix for it but I cant remember the name of it or where to get it. There should be a link somewhere in this thread for it. You will have to run through the city once or twice to get all of the shaders cached and then it will be much smoother.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Are there any fun mods for this game? I want to go back through it, was wondering if there was anything notable / fun.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
First time player here, I'm really loving it so far. I especially love how unique all of the augments are and how few of them rely on "boost statistic X by Y%". Although the game does seem a bit sparse on sidequests.

Tess3ract

Banned
Are there any fun mods for this game? I want to go back through it, was wondering if there was anything notable / fun.
Theres a few mods that make the game fun, if that's what you mean.

Like an increased inventory mod, a debug mod (want xp or praxis points? all the guns? here you go!)

Lancehead

First time player here, I'm really loving it so far. I especially love how unique all of the augments are and how few of them rely on "boost statistic X by Y%". Although the game does seem a bit sparse on sidequests.

Well, the playtime shouldn't be a complaint though. It took me about 50hrs to finish first time.

goodfella

Yeah, try windowed mode. (No, really, try it. Actually. It works)

I spent a horrible amount of time changing all the settings, but I had insane stutter.

If you're getting the same, weird stutter that I was, windowed mode will work perfectly. And the window is boarderless which is nice.

eosos

Banned
Yeah, try windowed mode. (No, really, try it. Actually. It works)

I spent a horrible amount of time changing all the settings, but I had insane stutter.

If you're getting the same, weird stutter that I was, windowed mode will work perfectly. And the window is boarderless which is nice.

Works perfectly, thanks. Wish I didn't have to do this though.

Can't beat him. Threw every grenade I had at him and used every bullet I had. My closest save before the 'incident' is right before I leave Sarif
with Malik and ultimately get the chopper shot out of the sky. I'm going to try and save her this time.
Only problem is I currently have no sniper rifle, which I'm pretty sure would make this next thing pretty easy.

Can I acquire a Sniper Rifle at this point? Is there an armory at the Sarif Building?

edit: Nevermind about the sniper rifle. I just
threw a grenade at the helicopter to help put her out of her misery quicker

do u have the following 2-3 gas grenades,stun gun,emp grenades ?
Throw 1 gas grenade at those 2 heavy gunners.
1 emp at the mech.
after that take out the ground troops with stun gun.
I am assuming that u will be clocked whole time.
after u have done that u have got good time in ur hand,take out the sniper first then other.
did it on hard

soultron

Banned
Yo, this game (with the DLCs and DE: GOTY Edition and DE: IW) are $15 on Steam this weekend. Tell yer frans and shit. Errbody needs to play this game.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Just picked up 3 DLCs for ~$5. Two were <$1, the bigger expansion was $3.75.

Yeah, me too. Playing through the game for the third (and probably last) time with the extras. Never played Missing Link or the Tong sideqest so it'll be interesting. Playing on Deus Ex difficulty and doin' all the sidequests. At Detroit city hub right now (the second time around, with all the riots and stuff).

Loving the pistol and double-barrel shotgun. Upgraded the pistol in particular to holy hell. Headshots are extremely satisfying. Also, I tried to make the game more challenging and interesting by only augmenting Adam in a certain order.

- I cycle through each body part per praxis point (after I spend a praxis point on Back for example, I have spend my next one on Skin). If I've completed a body part, I just skip it obviously.
- Within each body part, I go from left to right on augmentation chart. The augmentation must be fully completed (green color) before I skip to the next one
- The only choice I have comes within the augmentation tree itself. For example, within Stealth Enhancer, I can choose if I want to get "Last Known Location Marker" or "Mark and Track 1.0" first.

I'm using that Smart Vision playthrough, never used it on my others. Really useful. On the other hand, I've had to waste like 3 Praxis on that "walk quietly" augmentation that I never use ever. Also, I still haven't upgraded Hacking Capture past 1 and it's sooo annoying. I'm pretty sure you NEED at least level 2 or 3 to do some sidequests, as I've had to use those unlocking tools.

Curufinwe

I finished my Give Me Deus Ex, no-kill playthru last night but didn't get the Pacifist Achievement. I would really love to know who in the game I managed to kill.

Maybe an indirect kill? hacked a robot to kill someone? I got my Pacifist on the first run. Super careful with numerous reloads when I wasn't sure if someone's knocked out or dead.
Tons of things could have happened. :/

I finished my Give Me Deus Ex, no-kill playthru last night but didn't get the Pacifist Achievement. I would really love to know who in the game I managed to kill.
How did you go about the final boss fight?

From my time playing, the things I avoided to get it involved
not doing the through-wall takedowns, never messing with turret loyalty, being careful of environment dangers (like electricty that could kill an unconscious character), and so forth.
The hardest part in the entire game was redoing the part where you crashland in hengsha and defend the ship. No clue if it counts, but a guy would get blown up nearly every time if I wasn't fast enough at stun-gunning him. Redid that segment around 20 times before I managed to knockout every person without anyone dying.

if you try for it again, keep an eye on all of the stats of people you takedown (the knocked out or dead symbols when you look at the bodies).

I think I was super lucky, since I managed to get Foxiest of Hounds and Pacifist on my first run.

BradleyUK

How you get Officer Chet Wagner to talk about the murder?

#Went upto him and he said go away!
#I punched him in the face but he's fellow pigs shot me!

Lancehead

How you get Officer Chet Wagner to talk about the murder?

#Went upto him and he said go away!
#I punched him in the face but he's fellow pigs shot me!

There are couple ways to get what you want.
Somewhere on the upper floors there's a computer with the required data. This means you don't have to deal with Wagner. Or you could hack into Wagner's own computer to get some incriminating data, and blackmail him.

BradleyUK

There are couple ways to get what you want.
Somewhere on the upper floors there's a computer with the required data. This means you don't have to deal with Wagner. Or you could hack into Wagner's own computer to get some incriminating data, and blackmail him.

Cheers big ears!

Just finished the game and the missing link DLC!
The way I did, I played right up until the part where the DLC starts, finished the DLC, and then continued with the game.

Imho, that is the way to do it with the whole reveal at the end of the game that is linked to the DLC - if you haven't placed the DLC by that point I can imagine some confusion.

Saref+Suicide ending are my favorites.

EDIT: Just saw the secret ending.
God, I wish I could have killed Reed.

Labadal

I played a little bit of The Missing Link and I am liking it so far. No upgrades/weapons and no kills is the plan. That's how I played of the main game.

pringles

Replaying this at the moment to do The Missing Link as well as pick up most of the achievs I missed the 1st go (such as pacifist, foxiest and some secret ones) and my appreciation for the game is even stronger this time around. So cool how situations can play out in so many different ways.
Definitely one of my top 3 games of the generation, even though the last mission sucks.

I need a sequel. Or a pre-prequel. Or more DLC.

Posthuman

Neo Member
I'm playing through this again for my third time. I told myself that I wouldn't bother with the whole "no kill" rule that guided my previous playthroughs, but I find myself playing that way by default, anyway. Pacifist runs are simply that much more challenging (And therefore, interesting).

It really is a wonderful game; not quite on-par with the original Deus Ex, but it's pretty hard to touch that. I'd love to see an enhanced remake of the original Deus Ex as a sequel, but that would be a very ambitious project.

Top Bottom