• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Deadbeat

Banned
Did they fix the
sandoval
bug yet or is that still there?

edit: I should probably spoiler it even if it is vague unless you played already.

I need some advice on how I should play through the game. Should I just take one path through the level and stick with it? That's what I want to do, but I'm afraid I'm going to miss something important and regret it later on.

I'm only on the first level, but I've tried exploring every nook and cranny and I feel like I'm ruining the game for myself :(

Thoughts?

I need some advice on how I should play through the game. Should I just take one path through the level and stick with it? That's what I want to do, but I'm afraid I'm going to miss something important and regret it later on.

I'm only on the first level, but I've tried exploring every nook and cranny and I feel like I'm ruining the game for myself :(

Thoughts?
I'd say just do whatever you're enjoying more.

I've been going around through all the different paths as well, but that's just because I'm obsessed with getting all the XP possible. I don't think you're likely going to miss much in terms of content, since it does a good job of making sure you still progress to the same points. I've enjoyed trying to knock out every enemy and hack every device, but sometimes it just isn't worth the effort.

In terms of the city hub stuff, though, definitely go explore all over! You never know what you might find!

Taffer

I'm nearing a point where there's not much left for me to upgrade in my augments
...but I've been trying to avoid the stuff that sounds like it could end up getting a kill (like the turret hacking).

Buying the turret-hacking ability also allows you to switch them off if you're worried about unwanted kills, it also opens up extra paths through corridors/guards previously covered by the turret. If you're exploring everywhere & hacking everything you're going to end up with most of the augs anyway so I'd recommend buying it.

New patch for PC..

The patch includes:

- Some players accounted a problem where the Tai Young Medical shuttle in Hengsha would not arrive. This has been resolved.
• Existing save-games can be loaded and continued from normally, the shuttle will now arrive.
- We have provided a workaround for stability and performance issues on AMD FX CPUs with specific firmware versions.
- We have made further changes to reduce stuttering in the game.
• Improvements to background streaming of resources. (on DX11 only)
• Workarounds have been added for issues that can happen with Windows asynchronous file IO.
• We have improved parallelism with the graphics driver on dual-core machines. (should also benefit machines with more cores)
- SSAO has been improved to look less noisy.
- Various minor issues with 3DVision have been resolved.
Good to hear there's a new patch. How do i know if the game is updated to this latest patch?

Also first run through and decided to play in Hard Difficulty. I was surprised that there are no pointers and the map is empty, just features the room layouts. Is this the same in lower difficulties? This is great because im forced to explore the environments more carefully. Other missing feature that i like is that there's no item highlighting which looked too exaggerated in some of the games previews.

I hope it is alright to get consecutive messages since the thread is a bit abandoned.

It says the game's version is 1.4.651 is that the latest patch.

I would think so. My game had a different build version the other day, but it's the same as yours now, post-patch.

Well, this is now one of the select few titles I can say has actually kept me playing more than two hours at any given time. I think I pretty much lost my entire day to playing this yesterday, hahaha.
I think I'm nearing the very end of the game because I'm now at a place called
Omega Ranch and looking for DOCTOR REED WHAT?! She's alive?! I hope. Though, I'm more partial to Malik, but, hey, whatever Adam.

If it wasn't for trying to get the Foxiest of Hounds and Pacifist achievements, I'd pretty much be decimating everything in my path. I feel way overpowered since I've been grabbing as much XP as possible. Granted, none of it is really invested in killing stuff, but I can sneak so good Snake wouldn't know what was up.

The boss fight against
the lady aug was really frustrating and funny. I tried like seven times in a row to chase her down, zap her, and do a takedown, but I remembered there was no way to actually not kill bosses. The next time, I zapped her with my stun gun, pulled out my pistol, and popped her in the head with my entire clip and the fight was over (I'm on easiest difficulty). Made me laugh.
Did she ever speak a single line in the entire game? I don't remember her speaking in any cutscene or in any fight. I mean, I guess that was her thing, with the whole, "I'm Eliza and she won't let me speak" thing, but I dunno.

Time to finish this thing!

Beat the game and saw every ending!

I have to say, I was pretty disappointed with how they handled the very ending of the game.
Well, in the setup, at least. I thought that the decisions were all very tough to make, but the presentation of the choices was so removed from anything else in the game that it was bizarre to see it so cut and dry as it was. I picked the fourth option as my choice, since I thought there was something poetic to the man who they put so many resources and effort into saving being the one to erase all evidence of these things.

I had a miserable time on the last level because of my own stupidity.
I thought I would find Taggart and Sarif as I naturally progressed in the level, but when I reached the final lift to the bottom of the Panchea installation, I realized I must have missed the paths on the way there. I ended up making my way back through the crowds I had avoided to seek the two of them out and return to the lift. Ugh, it was so stressful not alerting anyone or harming anyone.

It paid off, though. Foxiest of Hounds and Pacifist are MINE.
All in all, a really superb game. I had an excellent time exploring the worlds, being stealthy, and just soaking up the atmosphere. I would love to see this model gain some popularity in the next gen. Also made me want to replay Alpha Protocol, haha.

I felt that Alpha Protocol had a more appropriate play length to it, and it felt like it provided a more optimal experience than Deus Ex. However, Deus Ex had much more raw content and more to discover in its world, and it just felt like a more realized vision of what the team originally set out to achieve. Love both though. : )

Troll

Banned
Beat the game and saw every ending!

I have to say, I was pretty disappointed with how they handled the very ending of the game.
Well, in the setup, at least. I thought that the decisions were all very tough to make, but the presentation of the choices was so removed from anything else in the game that it was bizarre to see it so cut and dry as it was. I picked the fourth option as my choice, since I thought there was something poetic to the man who they put so many resources and effort into saving being the one to erase all evidence of these things.

I had a miserable time on the last level because of my own stupidity.
I thought I would find Taggart and Sarif as I naturally progressed in the level, but when I reached the final lift to the bottom of the Panchea installation, I realized I must have missed the paths on the way there. I ended up making my way back through the crowds I had avoided to seek the two of them out and return to the lift. Ugh, it was so stressful not alerting anyone or harming anyone.

It paid off, though. Foxiest of Hounds and Pacifist are MINE.
All in all, a really superb game. I had an excellent time exploring the worlds, being stealthy, and just soaking up the atmosphere. I would love to see this model gain some popularity in the next gen. Also made me want to replay Alpha Protocol, haha.

I felt that Alpha Protocol had a more appropriate play length to it, and it felt like it provided a more optimal experience than Deus Ex. However, Deus Ex had much more raw content and more to discover in its world, and it just felt like a more realized vision of what the team originally set out to achieve. Love both though. : )

Those two achievements made me feel really good. It's funny because the last half of the game I was freaking out about if I had accidentally killed someone or set off an alarm without noticing.
Now go play the DLC, it is a lot of fun. Probably one of my favorite games that I have got 100% achievements on. Super satisfying.

Those two achievements made me feel really good. It's funny because the last half of the game I was freaking out about if I had accidentally killed someone or set off an alarm without noticing.
Now go play the DLC, it is a lot of fun. Probably one of my favorite games that I have got 100% achievements on. Super satisfying.
Oh man, yeah, there were some awful situations where I didn't know if I had lost it or not. Hands down, the part that was the most sweat-inducing was
the crash landing in Hengsha. I had a save right before I flew there, and I kept reloading to it so I could do my cloaked running around with the stun gun and perfect my route. That freaking robot... It probably took me around 10 tries or so to do it without making a mistake or Malik dying, but I got it. I have like two or three saves I kept on standby along the way where I had it saved before something I questioned costing me the achievements might have been, hahaha.

I want to move on to playing something else, but I keep thinking, "I could just run through the game real fast and get the stuff I missed now. It wouldn't be that bad. But then I'd have to mess with not having any augs again..." I don't know, I'll consider it. I might enjoy coming back to it at a later day and have it feel fresh again.

Oh man, yeah, there were some awful situations where I didn't know if I had lost it or not. Hands down, the part that was the most sweat-inducing was
the crash landing in Hengsha. I had a save right before I flew there, and I kept reloading to it so I could do my cloaked running around with the stun gun and perfect my route. That freaking robot... It probably took me around 10 tries or so to do it without making a mistake or Malik dying, but I got it. I have like two or three saves I kept on standby along the way where I had it saved before something I questioned costing me the achievements might have been, hahaha.

That's why you go guns on your first playthrough. Makes that part much easier. Then
just let her die on your pacifist run.

Taffer

That's why you go guns on your first playthrough. Makes that part much easier. Then
just let her die on your pacifist run.

I ate so much chocolate on that part. I hear there's an extra cutscene if you run straight for the lift, I want to see all the cutscenes but I don't want to just flee that bit.

Kind of disappointed with the way O'mailey mission arc was managed. So it's only the cop's way or the highway to reach a satisfying conclusion. If i do exactly what O'mailey wants i got the failed objective warning, and that's understandable, but also O'mailey disappears.

Apologies if spelling the name incorrectly but i think is pretty clear who the rant refers to.

Question: Isn't the enhanced vision supposed to detect or highlight the weakened walls? I got the tip from the informant to look for a secret stash in the sewers, spend 2 hours looking in Detroit sewers for this spot, yet the vision augment didn't spotted anything.

Still found the place but by change. In the PC version the orange highlight for items is turned off by default but even like this the vision aug should mark this type o information.

It might have been the "bust through walls" augment that showed it for me... I can't remember.
The vision augment just allows you to see people through walls, when activated, if I recall correctly.

I don't remember highlights being turned off by default for me. Maybe it has to do with your relative proximity to the thing it highlights. I got stuck trying to figure out how to reach a higher floor at one point because one of the doors I could access didn't highlight until I got almost directly beside the door.

It might have been the "bust through walls" augment that showed it for me... I can't remember.
The vision augment just allows you to see people through walls, when activated, if I recall correctly.

I don't remember highlights being turned off by default for me. Maybe it has to do with your relative proximity to the thing it highlights. I got stuck trying to figure out how to reach a higher floor at one point because one of the doors I could access didn't highlight until I got almost directly beside the door.
It's really involving playing with the highlighting of, forces me to carefully search every piece of prop in the environment to collect items. There's a really high degree of detail in modeling and a vast amount of objects. It's really a shame that most objects aren't physics driven, like say for example in FEAR. Not much environment interaction, Jensen can take giant robots but he cant destroy a wine bottle :)

Maybe the informant confused me? Since he was talking about using a visual aug to spot the place at the sewers.

megalowho

Bought and played through The Missing Link DLC yesterday and really enjoyed getting roped back into that world. I spent way too long on the first segment, being underpowered and having to relearn everything all at once was brutal. Once I got my sea legs and some augs things got better, and by the end you're pretty much the badass you were before. Felt good to play through that game's progression in such a condensed fashion.

The story starts out slow but eventually you get some decent payoffs, with good characters and implications for where things go from here. The place you're stuck in feels a bit boring but it's flush with emails to read, doors to hack, boxes to lift, all that exploratory stuff. Had one sublime gameplay moment late:
saving both the prisoners and the doctor by finding and shoving two small boxes through a vent, using them to climb up two stories on a pipe (no jump upgrade), and shooting the gas tank.
Really cool environmental design overall.

Can't shake the feeling that it wasn't worth $15, but as far as being in the mood for some more Deux Ex it's a perfect chunk of content.

Bought and played through The Missing Link DLC yesterday and really enjoyed getting roped back into that world. I spent way too long on the first segment, being underpowered and having to relearn everything all at once was brutal. Once I got my sea legs and some augs things got better, and by the end you're pretty much the badass you were before. Felt good to play through that game's progression in such a condensed fashion.

The story starts out slow but eventually you get some decent payoffs, with good characters and implications for where things go from here. The place you're stuck in feels a bit boring but it's flush with emails to read, doors to hack, boxes to lift, all that exploratory stuff. Had one sublime gameplay moment late:
saving both the prisoners and the doctor by finding and shoving two small boxes through a vent, using them to climb up two stories on a pipe (no jump upgrade), and shooting the gas tank.
Really cool environmental design overall.

Can't shake the feeling that it wasn't worth $15, but as far as being in the mood for some more Deux Ex it's a perfect chunk of content.

You can save both?!?!? Well, I know what I'm going to try my next run.

Double D

I bought this game at launch and played for a few hours and never touched it again. I just started playing it again and I am completely effing lost. I didn't really have the greatest grasp on what was going on when I first started it, and now it's just worse.

Anyways, my latest save was about 10 minutes before this boss fight with Barrett. This has to be the worst way to try to get back into a game that I've ever experienced. Took down a few guys, snuck around, and bam, boss fight and this guy is slapping me around like nobody's business.

Please, help. I have no idea how to beat this dude, and youtube videos really aren't helping my any.

edit: I was about one try away from never playing this shit ever again and I beat the bastard.

Sajjaja

I bought this game at launch and played for a few hours and never touched it again. I just started playing it again and I am completely effing lost. I didn't really have the greatest grasp on what was going on when I first started it, and now it's just worse.

Anyways, my latest save was about 10 minutes before this boss fight with Barrett. This has to be the worst way to try to get back into a game that I've ever experienced. Took down a few guys, snuck around, and bam, boss fight and this guy is slapping me around like nobody's business.

Please, help. I have no idea how to beat this dude, and youtube videos really aren't helping my any.

edit: I was about one try away from never playing this shit ever again and I beat the bastard.

Yeah. That was one of the complaints with the game. The boss fights were too confrontational forcing you to gunplay.

Old DX 1 fan here, I'd say I'm 3/4 through the game (
just reached megan at omega ranch
)

I thought people were exaggerating at how bad the boss battles were.

They weren't, fucking awfull, not just in a "Conform your playstyle in an un-duesex way" but also in a "HOly shit these are just fucking dumb, and the best way to beat them is by exploiting glitches."

Boss 1 and 2 beat with rediculous nade spam to stun them
Boss 3: tried about 20 times
I took the chip
finally in one playthrough he decides to just stand in a corner and take pot shots at me. Cue nade spam and pop and shoot for 3 minutes till he dies.

Loved that bit
about the biocihp
I just wish the payoff of my shitty decision made for an interesting gameplay section instead of making a stupid bossfight stupider.

I think every one of them I just used a stun gun and my pistol that I kept upgrading throughout the game. Headshots took them down really fast.

Well, except that last boss battle where
I used the GIANT LAZER GUN I had been carrying since my second visit to Hengsha.

Deadbeat

Banned
The pistol is broken. The armor piercing attachment makes it one shot all enemies except for ogres. You get it so early too along with the silencer that its the main gun to use. But then again its not like the original game was that well balanced either.

But yes, the stun gun and pistol are the best together.
Old DX 1 fan here, I'd say I'm 3/4 through the game (
just reached megan at omega ranch
)
More like 9/10ths.
Boss 1 and 2 beat with rediculous nade spam to stun them
You just throw all the explosive barrels and gas canisters at boss 1 in the room. Never used a single munition. Rest of the bosses I used typhoon.

The pistol is broken. The armor piercing attachment makes it one shot all enemies except for ogres. You get it so early too along with the silencer that its the main gun to use. But then again its not like the original game was that well balanced either.

But yes, the stun gun and pistol are the best together.

More like 9/10ths.

You just throw all the explosive barrels and gas canisters at boss 1 in the room. Never used a single munition. Rest of the bosses I used typhoon.

You really have to get the headshots though, anything else it doesn't do shit too i find.

But yea, I stupidly gave up my pistol to
the dutch hacker
and dropped all my ammo. I re-upgraded later, but ammo for the 10 MM is really rare late in the game.

I remember my pistol being a total beast in DX1 too.

Double D

I can't hack this fucking media terminal in the Hive for the life of me. I've upgraded Fortify all the way but have nothing in Hacking Stealth. If I didn't spend 1000 credits during this mission I would probably just skip it.

Has anyone used the ENB mod?

I've got it running without changing any of important settings, just upping the quality of the effects.The resulting image doesn't look too good.Ive seen how this can look in the screenshot thread/and this thread, but mine looks nowhere as good.

So can any share their configs?

I cant stand how it looks in vanilla mode.

Thanks.

Has anyone used the ENB mod?

I've got it running without changing any of important settings, just upping the quality of the effects.The resulting image doesn't look too good.Ive seen how this can look in the screenshot thread/and this thread, but mine looks nowhere as good.

So can any share their configs?

I cant stand how it looks in vanilla mode.

Thanks.

I tried it, but the mouse lag made it unplayable for me.

Personally, I turned up the brightness a bit, and that actually seems to tone down the yellow filter a lot.

TheMan

just picked up this game after getting a gamestop giftcard for father's day. impressions...

1. cardboard boxes. everywhere.
2. i liked the robocop-esque origin of the MC
3. everything else reminds me of bladerunner. I also like this.
4. i don't understand why the developers felt the need to reinvent the wheel when it comes to cover-based mechanics...having to hold down the left trigger to hold cover is dumb.
5. any augs that I should avoid?

Turns out the ENB was working all along.The section I was at looked average which is why I thought maybe I needed some config settings to improve it.

Mouse lag isn't too bad, I am playing it using the Xbox 360 controller btw.
I couldn't stand the piss filter, ENB definitely helps improve the gaming experience.

5. any augs that I should avoid?
If you go exploring enough and get enough XP, you should be fine to experiment with a few things. I ended up with around 80% of the augs by the end of the game, and I had more than I ever wanted for my stealth/melee/pacifist playthrough.

Curufinwe

4. i don't understand why the developers felt the need to reinvent the wheel when it comes to cover-based mechanics...having to hold down the left trigger to hold cover is dumb.

I think it works perfectly.

I finished the game last night and I wish it gave you stats on how many people you killed, how many you knocked out, how many times you set off alarms, etc. I got the optional thing that makes the third boss really hard, but I was able to beat him using that one punch strategy. If that didn't work I think I would have had to return to a save from hours earlier.

Double D

I think I'm really close to the second boss and I'm dreading it already. I did, however, fully upgrade my typhoon after not having it at all for the first boss. The bad part is I only have one to use. Anyways I picked up the heavy Rifle that I found about a half hour ago, which I assumed was laying there with all kinds of ammo because it might just be helpful.

Also it's frustrating that the hack system is what it is at this point in the game. A level 2 hack requirement no longer means it will be fairly easy. I still fail a lot of these and just generally suck at hacking. Probably doesn't help that I have no idea what a nuke does and I have several in my inventory. I guess I need to upgrade my Hacking stealth all the way.

I can't hack this fucking media terminal in the Hive for the life of me. I've upgraded Fortify all the way but have nothing in Hacking Stealth. If I didn't spend 1000 credits during this mission I would probably just skip it.

Is it the hack, or getting caught by the guard? Or do you have any virusses to use?

Stealth vs. Fortify is fairly unbalanced, Full stealth = Hack everything with a few virusses
Fortify = Minor help to hacking, and not really needed if you have full stealth.

Double D

Is it the hack, or getting caught by the guard? Or do you have any virusses to use?

Stealth vs. Fortify is fairly unbalanced, Full stealth = Hack everything with a few virusses
Fortify = Minor help to hacking, and not really needed if you have full stealth.

It's the hacking itself. I walked over and killed the guard and no one seemed to care, so that wasn't the issue. I have no 'Stop' things, and I don't understand how Nukes work. Also, I just moved on. I couldn't hack it, so I said fuck it (which seems to be happening with more and more terminals as I progress through the game). I still have that save file though so if, for some reason, I can figure out how to do it, it would be nice to get that achievement for my efforts.

It's the hacking itself. I walked over and killed the guard and no one seemed to care, so that wasn't the issue. I have no 'Stop' things, and I don't understand how Nukes work. Also, I just moved on. I couldn't hack it, so I said fuck it (which seems to be happening with more and more terminals as I progress through the game). I still have that save file though so if, for some reason, I can figure out how to do it, it would be nice to get that achievement for my efforts.

Here's how to use the nuke things, point them at a node that you haven't hacked, use a nuke, you take over the node very quickly and there's no chance you'll be caught.

So if you have 4-5 nukes, just burn a path right to the finish and you'll be good.

Then invest in stealth, and hacking will be a be a breeze.

Double D

Here's how to use the nuke things, point them at a node that you haven't hacked, use a nuke, you take over the node very quickly and there's no chance you'll be caught.

So if you have 4-5 nukes, just burn a path right to the finish and you'll be good.

Then invest in stealth, and hacking will be a be a breeze.

Holy crap, thanks. Yeah I could have totally hacked that if I'd have known that this is how nukes work.

Curufinwe

I think I'm really close to the second boss and I'm dreading it already. I did, however, fully upgrade my typhoon after not having it at all for the first boss. The bad part is I only have one to use. Anyways I picked up the heavy Rifle that I found about a half hour ago, which I assumed was laying there with all kinds of ammo because it might just be helpful.

Also it's frustrating that the hack system is what it is at this point in the game. A level 2 hack requirement no longer means it will be fairly easy. I still fail a lot of these and just generally suck at hacking. Probably doesn't help that I have no idea what a nuke does and I have several in my inventory. I guess I need to upgrade my Hacking stealth all the way.

The second boss is pretty simple if you have typhoon. I only had it at level 1 and still managed to win the fight pretty easily. In fact, that was the the only boss I used typhoon for, but it did come in handy in other parts of the game
like saving Malik.
since I wasn't going for the Pacifist Achievement.

Upgrading Hacking Stealth is a very good idea.

Double D

HOLY MOTHERFUCKING SHIT. I use Typhoon for the second boss and life is great. Plowing through the game. Get to the third boss and
my fucking augments are all fucked up. Why in fuck's name did I go get my chip fixed or whatever? If it isn't already, this should be in the OP: HEY PEOPLE WHO HAVEN'T PLAYED THIS YET, DON'T GO GET YOUR CHIP FIXED AT THE LIMB CLINIC WHEN THAT DUDE TELLS YOU TO.
Fuck me. So how do I beat this asshole? Pretty sure my goddamn peashooter isn't going to nick his magical body up too bad.

The second boss is pretty simple if you have typhoon. I only had it at level 1 and still managed to win the fight pretty easily. In fact, that was the the only boss I used typhoon for, but it did come in handy in other parts of the game
like saving Malik.
since I wasn't going for the Pacifist Achievement.

Upgrading Hacking Stealth is a very good idea.

YOU CAN DO THAT?

Boss 3 really wasn't an issue for me.

Had a horrible time with the second, but the 3rd boss was defeated in a matter of seconds.

...I should really replay this now.

Double D

Boss 3 really wasn't an issue for me.

Had a horrible time with the second, but the 3rd boss was defeated in a matter of seconds.

...I should really replay this now.

Well throw some pro-tips at me, brother. I'd love to continue, but just can't stand these boss fights. I don't even have time to figure out a strategy. I just die instantly. Really considering going all the way back to an old save and not switching out my chip.

Well I would have loved to have been spoiled by it. Probably won't finish the game now because of it. Fuck these boss fights if I can't use Typhoon.

Not sure if they patched it out or not, but
position yourself where you can be on the other side of a wall from him. When he jumps over do a lethal or non-lethal take down on him.

Spoiler in vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elVCxc0hwBs

That video is from 9 months ago but youtube has some that were posted a month ago so I'm sure it still works.

Double D

Not sure if they patched it out or not, but
position yourself where you can be on the other side of a wall from him. When he jumps over do a lethal or non-lethal take down on him.

Spoiler in vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elVCxc0hwBs

That video is from 9 months ago but youtube has some that were posted a month ago so I'm sure it still works.

Fantastic. I assume that after the fight my
augs stop freaking out?

Top Bottom