• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
x-Lundz-x said:
Personally I think GT.com is the best overall site for reviews.

Being harsh should not automatically qualify as a better review though.

I agree, but people love the fact that they "use the whole 1-10 scale". I don't care if an outlet gives a game A+ if the review is riddled with negative things. Like a certain Gears of War review.

ironcreed

Banned
MrCompletely said:
95% of the people in this thread made their decision days, weeks, months, or even years ago, but it's always exciting watching the gamers everywhere get collectively excited about something, and many times that's driven by press reviews.

Well said. While reviews don't influence what I buy, I enjoy keeping tabs on them in hopes that the games which I have interest in end up being received well. Which is of course always nice to see.

bob page

Rock Paper Shotgun review:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/22/70336/
What you have here is a compellingly entertaining game, with some of the most rewarding stealth I’ve encountered. And most of all, you have choice. Choice about whether you mow down enemies with a machine gun, or tap them on the shoulders and punch them in the face. Choice about whether you sneak in via the roof, through the sewers, or march boldly in through the front door. Choice about whether you hack, smash or learn passwords through information retrieval. Choice about whether people live or die. So in those tiny moments when the game robs you of choice, it rather offends. But mostly it does not, and it’s a fantastic, elaborate, and so rarely today, long game.

I can't believe it's actually living up to the hype. I wanted to doubt myself so much.

RedSwirl

Darklord said:
This might be an obvious question but do you still get proper dialog in this? Like picking what you say or is it just cut scenes? I can't remember see any.

Yes you get proper dialogue.

Gvaz

Banned
x-Lundz-x said:
Personally I think GT.com is the best overall site for reviews.

I personally LOVE GameTrailers but the guy who reviews is fucking retarded about PC gaming.

The guy prefers a controller and thinks you need some fucking 5,000 gaming PC to run some moderate console port. wtf?

Reave

When 1up's tagline reads "Deus Ex: Human Revolution is The Best Stealth Action Game Since Metal Gear Solid," I'm impressed. That kind of compliment is beyond rare.

Derrick01

Banned
Wow I was honestly expecting 3 stars or less from Joystiq given how console oriented they are. They openly troll PC games and PC-type games, pretty much anything that's too hard or more complex than COD.

I'm actually a little surprised by all of these mainstream scores. Not bad.

Wallach

Fuck yeah. I have a feeling this game is going to top DE for me. It sounds like a lot of my issues with DE's particulars are not problematic in this game, and it looks like it even has more style.

I need to sell a kidney or something on the quick...

bob page

Ben's Ars review:
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/revie...h-you-ars-review-deus-ex-human-revolution.ars
Although the game world has plenty of room for more stories told by future titles, this story comes to a very definitive end. That's something rare in big-budget games today, especially when they take place in an established franchise. But a real conclusion just confirms why this game deserves so much praise: by the end of the game's impressively long run time, you're left satisfied by the story and the characters within it.

This is the Deus Ex game we've been waiting for.

From IGN's review:

This is especially impressive given Deus Ex: Human Revolution's length; meticulous players determined to find everything, to hack every terminal and pry out every secret, might spend as much as 40-45 hours on their initial playthrough.

0_0

x-Lundz-x

Gvaz said:
I personally LOVE GameTrailers but the guy who reviews is fucking retarded about PC gaming.

The guy prefers a controller and thinks you need some fucking 5,000 gaming PC to run some moderate console port. wtf?

Yeah I notice that too, but he reviews are so well done I don't usually mind lol.

Hype is off the charts now.

ironcreed

Banned
With these kinds of scores rolling in, I think it's safe to say we have a very strong GOTY contender here that is flexing it's muscle well ahead of the fall horde. In which case, it's release date is giving it quite the spotlight.

zlatko said:
They get the biggest reactions, and cause GAF and other places to squirm in their shorts. Some of their scores are seriously questionable when you take a long look at past scores for similar genres/franchises, etc. It sometimes feel like they take a dart and toss it at a board. The actual written material is done well, but it isn't always supported with the correct score for the amount of praise or lack thereof. I know correct is subjective, and that it's just a dudes opinion, but I can't think of any other publication that gets a bigger rise out of gamers than EDGE's scores.

This.

Their reviews, while often well written, just don't add up most of the time. One of the problems of incorporating a magazine 'voice' with multiple opinions, I guess.

Derrick01

Banned
DennisK4 said:
Seems all the "8.0 average metacritic" predictions were premature, eh?

You people of little faith.

You honestly thought these mainstream console places were going to give this 9s and 10s? I lost faith in these people years ago, but they're surprising me now. Better to be surprised than disappointed I guess.

RedSwirl

Reznor said:
1UP: A

"Deus Ex: Human Revolution is The Best Stealth Action Game Since Metal Gear Solid."

Wow.

Oooh.

What I played in the first mission of the preview build was definitely some very solid (no pun intended) stealth gameplay. You can definitely play it like MGS or Splinter Cell, but I don't know if it's up there with MGS3 and Chaos Theory. I can say that it definitely does stealth gameplay right.

Aaaaaaaaah noooo, they're complaining about the load times even on PC. The reason I could never play through Invisible War was in large part due to the horrible loading times after dying. I was hoping the preview build was just bad in that regard, but it seems the full game won't fare much better ;/

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
IGN - 9.0/10
Eurogamer: 9/10
1UP: A

"Deus Ex: Human Revolution is The Best Stealth Action Game Since Metal Gear Solid."

south_park_stan.jpg

Dennis

Banned
Derrick01 said:
You honestly thought these mainstream console places were going to give this 9s and 10s? I lost faith in these people years ago, but they're surprising me now. Better to be surprised than disappointed I guess.
Square Enix has lots of money!

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
TyrantGuardian said:
Aaaaaaaaah noooo, they're complaining about the load times even on PC. The reason I could never play through Invisible War was in large part due to the horrible loading times after dying. I was hoping the preview build was just bad in that regard, but it seems the full game won't fare much better ;/

SSD dawg, let's go let's go!

Tacitus_

The_Darkest_Red said:
From IGN's review:

0_0

If you want to scrub absolutely every surface to find all the secrets, I can see that happening. If you're just semi casually strolling through the ares, checking places near your objectives you'll miss a lot.

Gvaz

Banned
Pretty much what everyone in GAF said that this would be GOTY and even the (less important imo) review sites are mirroring people's exact responses.

<----GOTY all years

edit: Load time for me on the leak was like 30 seconds :|

x-Lundz-x said:
This means it's good then right? ;)
Read the review? ;)

A decision to help a victim of extortion means that we end up spending half a day experimenting with different non-lethal methods to neutralise pockets of security without alerting the entire Heng Sha police force, just so we can break into a few lockups without harassment and find funds for the side-mission. Our multi-stage solution involving the split-second juggling of tranquilliser darts, dual-takedowns and invisibility is obscenely cool, a heist sequence of such fluidity and audaciousness that it would look the part in a Chris Nolan film, although we suspect he might have got the action in the can in a smaller number of takes.
Excite. Really gotta avoid spoilers because Euro land gets fucked until Friday. FML

ironcreed

Banned
Gvaz said:
Pretty much what everyone in GAF said that this would be GOTY and even the (less important imo) review sites are mirroring people's exact responses.

<----GOTY all years

edit: Load time for me on the leak was like 30 seconds :|

Just going by these reviews, the impressions from the leak were absolutely spot-on. Word of mouth is priceless. Cannot wait to see for myself tomorrow.

Top Bottom