• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Curufinwe

Calavera520 said:
PROTIP: Don't read press reviews. if you need help making a decision, listen to discussion of the game on podcasts this week or keep looking here for impressions from gaf.

Protip: There are plenty of press reviews worth reading, and plenty of forum impressions worth skipping.

Sotha Sil

Really intrigued about this:

EDGE said:
Many games cravenly avoid politics for fear of offence; Human Revolution is explicit about it, but this isn’t to say its ideas are delivered as an unending sermon.

Shurs

I love how now that the game got scores that match the expectations of the people anxiously awaiting the game, review/reviewers aren't so bad.

zlatko

Banned
Those scores are actually insane. There is no polarizing views----everyone is in unison that this game is a GOTY contender, and something not to miss out on.

Glad to see it lived up to that hype ass E3 trailer all those years back. :D

From Joystiq,

Human Revolution has too much integrity and subtlety to put a giant DANGER arrow over a hostile area. If you see gun-toting guards marching about, you should know to approach with a lower profile. Beyond some isolated, plot-specific locations, there are no demarcated levels and no sections that go "Shush!" when it's time for stealth.
Man, this game is exactly what the gaming industry needs right now.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm going to be so pissed if Gamestop doesn't have my preorder tomorrow. They almost always have games on time but sometimes for games that aren't the biggest hyped they won't have it until a day or two after release.

I might have to knock some magazine racks over

DaBuddaDa

Derrick01 said:
I'm going to be so pissed if Gamestop doesn't have my preorder tomorrow. They almost always have games on time but sometimes for games that aren't the biggest hyped they won't have it until a day or two after release.

I might have to knock some magazine racks over
This is by far the biggest retail new release of the week, I'd be shocked if they didn't have it.

Interfectum

The_Darkest_Red said:
From Joystiq,

Man, this game is exactly what the gaming industry needs right now.

holy fuck

i can't believe they actually pulled it off and they gave a big 'fuck you' to the dumbing down trend that plagues this industry.

Also from Joystiq,
And let's remind ourselves that it is not being judged in a vacuum -- newcomer Eidos Montréal flippantly barges onto the scene and hushes the crowd of streamlined, focus-tested roller coaster games. Human Revolution is an imperfect, complex and ambitious reminder of what a game can be it's unafraid.
It's like this game was made for GAF.

I'm completely willing to let the load times slide. I won't be treating this as a run and gun game at all. I'm going to try and value Jensen's life and play it with due caution. It's rare that games do that kind of thing.. considering the game is simulating complex states it is probably quite unavoidable. I'd welcome a patch that improves the load times but I'm not sure it would force me to play the way I intend to.

Lakitu

st5fu
Forgot to check my e-mail today.

Just checked it now and saw this in my inbox:

Your order has left the building and will be with you soon! Your credit/debit card will now be charged in accordance with your instructions and if you are a Reward Member your points will be added to your card.

:D

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
beavis-butthead-1.gif

Derrick01

Banned
DaBuddaDa said:
This is by far the biggest retail new release of the week, I'd be shocked if they didn't have it.

One time Gamestop did that to me was for Resident Evil 4 on PS2. I forget the reason why but they didn't have it on release and I had to wait half a week. I think that was the last time it happened though, I don't expect to run into that situation with this game.

Echoplx

Reznor said:
Eh, technically it isn't, so I guess you're right. I would imagine there'd be some kind of TOS fine print about it, but maybe not.

Huh? In what way is spoofing your IP piracy?

Obviously that in itself may be considered illegal but it has nothing to do with piracy.

JohngPR

Any one have a running tally of all the review scores so far with links?

I'm glad to hear that this game is getting great reviews. After playing through Deus Ex 1 in the span of a few days, I'm really looking forward to this!

Interfectum

You are a persistently bemused buffoon. Most games won't convey that opinion so indelicately, instead hiding it between the lines of text that ceaselessly tell you where to go, what to do and exactly how to do it. Deus Ex: Human Revolution isn't exempt from the clumsy tutorial crowd, but once it gets through the jarring video pop-ups, it quickly stops treating you like an imbecilic waypoint-marker addict. This game thinks you're an adult and expects you to handle your shit.

lordofthefiles_homer-drool.gif

Lucius86

Banned
A Human Becoming said:
8.7 is a little deceiving considering how negative the Gametrailers review was. Whatever though, I'm still excited.

Yeah, they kept on making criticisms on the game, to the point I think it was going to get a 6-7. But then all of a sudden it gave a glowing conclusion and a 8.7?? Confused by that review to say the least.

BeeDog

Damn, the game looks so fun in the GT review, but what the fuck is up with the framerate? Tons of drops in what I suppose is the 360 version.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Loving that the game is getting great reviews, not because I care the game is already preloaded to my hard-drive, but hopefully this game will get the attention/sales it deserves.

Gustav

Banned
Lucius86 said:
Yeah, they kept on making criticisms on the game, to the point I think it was going to get a 6-7. But then all of a sudden it gave a glowing conclusion and a 8.7?? Confused by that review to say the least.

Classic case of "the sum is greater than its parts", I guess.

Lucius86 said:

GT reviews can be fucked up like that...

"This game sucks ass, 9.0/10!!!"

"This game has very few flaws, 6.4/10!!!"

Grisby

DaBuddaDa said:
Same studio, same building, different team iirc.

Well I know its Edios but I didn't know what the credentials of the team were. I figure what, Eidos had HR, the new Tomb Raider, and Thief in the works?

Derrick01

Banned
I liked this part from the joystiq review

"It didn't have so much as disdainful remark when I used Jensen's super strength to block all the doorways with vending machines, thereby surviving a waiting-for-the-elevator standoff without firing a single bullet."

This is what games should be. Encourage creativity and forward thinking.

Top Bottom