• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided |OT| We Asked For This

mbpm1

1) Tranq headshots can cause death. At least they did in HR

2) Non-lethal takedown animation can cause death if the character clips through geometry during animation

3) Asleep characters can accidentally be killed by physics when dragged. If they're difficult to drag because a body part is stuck somehow, pulling them can cause so much force that they fling into environmental objects and die. Also be careful about throwing them of course

5) Asleep characters can be killed by nearby explosions (cameras, grenades, etc.) or environmental hazards (electricity, gas, falling environmental objects like boxes, etc.)

It's extremely imperative to double-check each character you neutralise to make sure they survived the takedown/tranq shot and any subsequent body manipulation. Try your best to drag characters to safe shelter. For example, remove a character from the middle of the street and put them inside a safe storage shed (with heavy objects removed from the shed), then shut the door.

Being a pacifist is such a pain. Glad they did it that way.

heringer

Your entire point is based on assumption that majority of augs are about replacing limbs...when that's not really true. Replacing limbs and body parts weren't the only form of augmentations and even then the world had changed to a point where some people did not mind willingly having them replaced. But majority of them would still just be using augs to increase their mental and sensory capabilities. Then you have the disabled people, both physically and mentally who choose to undergo augmentations as well and that changed their life because suddenly after augs they were better than everyone else at doing things that they could never hope to do.

You are also wrong about manual labour not existing because if you paid attention to dialogues you'd have known that manual labour was not extinct since people willingly underwent physical augmentation to be able to work better and keep their jobs.

Augmentation is not expensive in the world of Deus Ex, Tai Yong manufactured cheap Chinese stuff that was affordable to even the low class. You are assuming that all augs were high tech like Sarif when they weren't. The illuminati's monopoly on Neuropozyne is what drove them to poverty.

If you are still not convinced then watch some of the Sarif Industries live action videos they released for Human Revolution which was suppose to be an in universe advertisement. And if you still don't buy it then there's nothing the game can do to convince you.

But I'll just say you are underestimating people in how far they'd go to get an advantage/better their lives...especially if the means to achieve that is affordable, legal and socially acceptable (which they were before the incident).

I kind of agree with him. I stumbled at this premise too. The aparthaid part is somewhat believable to me, but the fact people would butcher their bodies in favor of enhanced limbs is extremely far fetched.

Yes, not every aug is replacing limbs, but I think it's heavily implied by the game that a significant amount of people are indeed replacing their limbs. Not only judging by the name of the main clinics directed at them, but also reading the world itself. Just look at how almost every augmented NPC has mechanical limbs.

Now think at how incredibly aggressive the transformation is. Not only your need MONTHS to readapt, you need to take fucking drugs to cope with it. Not to mention you completely lose the sensation of touch, tacticle feedback, etc. It's a horrible situation that would only apply to people severely impaired. Perfectly healthy people putting themselves in that situation is just not a very believable scenario.

That being said, it's a game and dumb stories don't bother me anyway.

mbpm1

Perfectly healthy people putting themselves in that situation is just not a very believable scenario.

Some people are also being pressured into it by corporations in order to do their jobs better or be replaced, as suggested by the Harvester sidequest.

Orcastar

Now think at how incredibly aggressive the transformation is. Not only your need MONTHS to readapt, you need to take fucking drugs to cope with it. Not to mention you completely lose the sensation of touch, tacticle feedback, etc. It's a horrible situation that would only apply to people severely impaired. Perfectly healthy people putting themselves in that situation is just not a very believable scenario.

Where in-game does it say this? Or are you just assuming that the augs in Deus Ex are not advanced enough to provide the sensation of touch and tactile feedback and whatnot?

nOoblet16

. Just look at how almost every augmented NPC has mechanical limbs.
I saw lots who just had some stuff on their head implying a mental augmentation. Plus like I said there are a lot of disabled people in this world, you don't see any disabled person in Deus Ex..and ofc like you said it's a game.

This has never been confirmed on the other hand I'm pretty sure there have been instances where it's been mentioned that Jensen can feel and that the mechanical limbs work very similar to real ones.

In fact the technology to have prosthetic limbs capable of sense exists today even in our real world.

X6gUMayl.jpg

http://www.livescience.com/43125-man-gets-first-bionic-hand-that-feels.html

kami_sama

I saw lots who just had some stuff on their head implying a mental augmentation. Plus like I said there are a lot of disabled people in this world, you don't see any disabled person in Deus Ex..and ofc like you said it's a game.

This has never been confirmed on the other hand I'm pretty sure there have been instances where it's been mentioned that Jensen can feel and that the mechanical limbs work very similar to real ones.

There's right now mechanical limbs that have tactile feedback. It would be shit if it didn't.

I really wish the Stun Gun had an upgrade that made the stun quicker and quieter.

It's a little irritating that blowing bio energy on an extravagantly choreographed takedown causes less noise/notice than stun gunning a dude. Especially since the range is basically the same.

Orcastar

Johnny Gun, a character in the The Harvester sidequest says that. Also there's a HR cutscene showing Adam having trouble holding a glass without breaking it.

So you're generalising based on one guy with cheap augs?

In that cutscene Adam is still recovering (he's even bandaged) and getting used to his augmentations. He has trouble holding the glass because he doesn't know his own strength, not because he lacks a sense of touch.

nOoblet16

Johnny Gun, a character in the The Harvester sidequest says that. Also there's a HR cutscene showing Adam having trouble holding a glass without breaking it.
That just might be them getting used to it.

I'm pretty sure the thing with Johnny Gun was that his fingers didn't have finger prints (due to him being a mercenary and his augs provided by a PMC), and it was implied that that's out of the ordinary otherwise why would Jensen need to dig in to find out that his mechanical hand doesn't have finger prints? If it was normal for mechanical hands to not have them then he wouldn't need to dig in the first place.

heringer

You guys are splitting hairs here. The point is that the transformation is extremely aggressive. Adam himself keeps saying that it's not all benefits. He says in the dialogue with Johnny that alloy limbs are better for some things, but not everything, and Johnny himself is extremely resentful because he lost a part of his humanity in how he interacts with the world. "I can walk through fire, but sand won't stick between my toes".

Orcastar

You guys are splitting hairs here. The point is that the transformation is extremely aggressive. Adam himself keeps saying that it's not all benefits. He says in the dialogue with Johnny that alloy limbs are better for some things, but not everything, and Johnny himself is extremely resentful because he lost a part of his humanity in how he interacts with the world. "I can walk through fire, but sand won't stick between my toes".

Yes, and? The whole point of human augmentation is to make people faster, stronger, smarter, to transcend the limitations of the biological human body. You think there wouldn't be a few million people on the planet who'd jump at the chance? Especially when it's proven to work and be safe, with only minor drawbacks like taking a harmless drug dose once a week? And let's not forget that the vast majority of humanity is still "pure" in Mankind Divided's world (I think I remember hearing in-game that the number of augmented people in the entire world is only like 7 million or something). Prague just happens the be a hotbed of augmented oppression.

I apologize if this has already been spoken about at length but I absolutely love the small touch of having a specific Subway car for Augs.

As far as I can tell, the game never actually tells you this. The first time you take the Subway, it leads you to the last kiosk to use and I had just assumed that was the only one that actually worked. At some point, about midway through my playthrough, I decided to try another one and was a bit surprised it worked.

I was even more surprised when I was hassled by a cop at my destination for using the "naturals only" car instead of the car reserved for Augs.

As far as I can tell, nothing really happens if you keep using the wrong car but I really enjoyed the small bit of world building they added in with this. Sometimes if I am overly annoyed at the Prague cops due to a mission or something, I will purposely use the "wrong" train just to sort of stick it to the man. At other times, like after some main events, I would use the "right" car so as not to start any extra trouble.

Just sort of dig the extra touch with it.

heringer

Yes, and? The whole point of human augmentation is to make people faster, stronger, smarter, to transcend the limitations of the biological human body. You think there wouldn't be a few million people on the planet who'd jump at the chance? Especially when it's proven to work and be safe, with only minor drawbacks like taking a harmless drug dose once a week? And let's not forget that the vast majority of humanity is still "pure" in Mankind Divided's world (I think I remember hearing in-game that the number of augmented people in the entire world is only like 7 million or something). Prague just happens the be a hotbed of augmented oppression.

Minor drawbacks? I mean, really? When even the MC (which is the only person who doesn't even need to take drugs) motto is "I didn't ask for this"? When he makes a point by saying it's better for some things, but not everything? I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree here.

Now, if you can show me anywhere in the game that there's only 7 millions augmented people in the world... then sure, it's a more believable scenario (but still far fetched to me) I guess. I'm not sure that's the case though.

lmimmfn

Gotcha, makes sense. It is weird how that side mission just chills in your missions list when there's nothing you can do to continue it until he calls you back. There's a couple like that, so just make sure to confirm whether or not there are any unchecked objectives. :)
Haha will do in future, I'm prepared, thanks man

Zakalwe

Banned
Loving this now I'm into the flow. It's exactly what I wanted, a sleeker HR with more content. I loves the DC with "fixed" boss encounters, I've not read much about MD but I'm looking forward to seeing how they handle those here.

The loading times aren't very friendly though.

The original Deus Ex is one of my favourite games of all time. I even enjoyed Invisible War although I do understand that it's one of the more disappointing sequels ever released.

Really liked Human Revolution as well - and I played it in the original form with the shitty boss battles.

What's the consensus on this game now that the hype has subsided a bit? Worth the full price purchase or wait?

Orcastar

Minor drawbacks? I mean, really? When even the MC (which is the only person who doesn't even need to take drugs) motto is "I didn't ask for this"? When he makes a point by saying it's better for some things, but not everything? I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree here.

Now, if you can show me anywhere in the game that there's only 7 millions augmented people in the world... then sure, it's a more believable scenario (but still far fetched to me) I guess. I'm not sure that's the case though.

One of the issues of Samizdat found in-game states that "There are 7.1 million augmented survivors since the tragic incident". That's out of a total world population of 8.5 billion (based on current population forecasts). So yeah, I don't find it far-fetched at all that that many people would consider the drawbacks of augmentation minor enough relative to the benefits that they'd go along with it. And the whole "I didn't ask for this" thing has more to do with the fact that Jensen was augmented without his consent (and far more extensively than was necessary to save his life, as revealed in the previous game).

Window

I don't remember where or when but I also remember the game specifically mentioning the existence of seven million augs in the world. Perhaps when discussing the foolishness of creating Rabiah as a haven for augs when there exist 7 million of them in the world while the city can only house about 700 thousand?

The original Deus Ex is one of my favourite games of all time. I even enjoyed Invisible War although I do understand that it's one of the more disappointing sequels ever released.

Really liked Human Revolution as well - and I played it in the original form with the shitty boss battles.

What's the consensus on this game now that the hype has subsided a bit? Worth the full price purchase or wait?

The story is a bit disappointing compared to the original and Human Revolution but exploring Prague is a blast.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF

Personally I feel like it's an improvement on Human Revolution in almost all aspects, though it's worse in a few ways, such as the consolized PC controls. It's not as good at in terms of writing and presenting moral ambiguity though. MD's issues are pretty clear cut.

If you liked HR, you'll love MD.

heringer

One of the issues of Samizdat found in-game states that "There are 7.1 million augmented survivors since the tragic incident". That's out of a total world population of 8.5 billion (based on current population forecasts). So yeah, I don't find it far-fetched at all that that many people would consider the drawbacks of augmentation minor enough relative to the benefits that they'd go along with it. And the whole "I didn't ask for this" thing has more to do with the fact that Jensen was augmented without his consent (and far more extensively than was necessary to save his life, as revealed in the previous game).

I guess 7 million out of 8~9 billion (maybe more in the game world) isn't so far fatched, yeah. I was under the impression it was a bigger percentage of people. Kind of weird that such a "small" number was capable of killing 50 million people though.

Fbh

So far I'm liking this game just as much as I did Human Revolution. Really missed this type of game design.

This is the type of "open world" I'm ok with. Rather than big in size keep it small but make it actually worthwile to explore. So many things to see and do here, and actually looking at the world and finding new places to access feels rewarding for once. It often feels like a 3D metroidvania but less restrictive, instead of having one clear ability you need to progress there are different paths to reach your objective.

I just beat one of the early side missions
the one about getting dirt on the news channel by breaking into the data bank
and the location you have to go to is crazy. Spent like an hour and half in there and I feel there is still a lot to find in there, specially once I get to hack higher lv stuff

mbpm1

You think everyone has self-knowledge/awareness to not make that decision? Or the opportunity to if they really need the money and bank it all on a bodily investment?

I guess 7 million out of 8~9 billion (maybe more in the game world) isn't so far fatched, yeah. I was under the impression it was a bigger percentage of people. Kind of weird that such a "small" number was capable of killing 50 million people though.

Well, 7 million worldwide is a big thing when they all turn into berserkers.

When you've got a crowd of proto-zombies in not only your city, but six cities next to you going mad with augmented strength and some of which include mercenaries in battle armor like Belltower against unprepared normal folk it's believable enough.

JawzPause

Just completed it
wtf was that ending
Probably going to replay it as i didn't really feel like i thoroughly played the game

Regginator

Better than DXHR in all aspects except for main story and probably the amount of hubs/explorable countries (even though Prague is amazing, it's still just one city). Looks, plays and sounds amazing. Level design is great.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So what control method are people using? I started on HR as it may feel more familiar, but thinking of trying the new MD default as it is intended. Only very early in still, but curious...

SJRB

Gold Member
So what control method are people using? I started on HR as it may feel more familiar, but thinking of trying the new MD default as it is intended. Only very early in still, but curious...

The default control scheme. It took me a bit to get used to, but it works really well.

Kalor

I just finished it and that was a more abrupt ending than I was expecting. Though despite that I don't feel unsatified from it. The main arc was resolved and it left some interesting points for the sequel. I'm looking forward to playing through it again on new game plus and seeing how different some situations can get.

Ending stuff:
So that newspaper is now Silhoutte in the original game. When K mentions going to Paris I never made the connection to Silhoutte until it was mentioned in Eliza's newscast. That newscast was really long, mostly since I did all the side quests but it's a weird way to end it. They could have played it over the credits and had the cutscene end with Alex and Jensen talking.

I don't remember where or when but I also remember the game specifically mentioning the existence of seven million augs in the world. Perhaps when discussing the foolishness of creating Rabiah as a haven for augs when there exist 7 million of them in the world while the city can only house about 700 thousand?

One hundred thousand, actually.

It's not really a problem if the rest of the world is like Prague/the Czech Republic. If most augmented are forced to live in places like the Útulek Complex, then they wouldn't be able to attain transit papers anyway.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
wut

where is this
It's in a crate in the antique shop, whatever that was called. I spotted it, too. IIRC, there was also a Portal cube there.

I thought they said something about there being ~70m augmented at the time of the incident, but two years down the road only 7 million remained.

Also, pretty sure I read in an eBook somewhere that the world population had topped 10 billion, although maybe that was a peak and it had since declined due to various problems.

Spent a good half-hour to 45 minutes earlier snooping around TF29 like I was Nina Myers snooping around CTU circa-24 Season 1. Heh.

That and going around Prague has me impressed with Eidos Montreal. There is some utterly fantastic and immersive world-building in this game. Kudos to them.

Literally just left Prague to go to the Swiss Alps, but stopping myself there for the night.

kliklik

Banned
So far I'm liking this game just as much as I did Human Revolution. Really missed this type of game design.

This is the type of "open world" I'm ok with. Rather than big in size keep it small but make it actually worthwile to explore. So many things to see and do here, and actually looking at the world and finding new places to access feels rewarding for once. It often feels like a 3D metroidvania but less restrictive, instead of having one clear ability you need to progress there are different paths to reach your objective.

This hub-world type design is so much better than vast, open but empty worlds like Skyrim and Fallout 4. Too often, games go for superlatives ("5x the size of the last map!", "20 billion guns!") rather than making quality, bespoke content. The result is that these games' buildings/weapons/quests tend to feel samey and cookie-cutter, which kills the motivation for exploration.

I really enjoy the little stories you find out about people's lives that you can follow across multiple computers, pocket secretaries, and ambient civilian conversations, like the mechanical engineer who got fired from Palisade Bank, or the woman and child who faked their deaths to get away from an abusive husband, or finding out about people who have been hiding their unregistered augmentations...

And god, speaking of Palisade Bank, the number of hidden safes, hidden buttons, secret compartments, and clever connections between areas really reward exploration. It's insanely satisfying to find these things.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
SM02 (cult of personality) is so satisfying on NG+. Hack level 5 door > stun gun to the face > done. Fuck off, Richard.

suaveric

I just finished the Golem City mission. I noticed I still had some story items that I picked up. They were
versa life containers, I think I got them in a locked shed
. Did I miss a side mission in Golem? Can I get back if I want?

I just finished the Golem City mission. I noticed I still had some story items that I picked up. They were
versa life containers, I think I got them in a locked shed
. Did I miss a side mission in Golem? Can I get back if I want?

A shopkeeper asks for two of the containers in exchange for his help to get you to ARC territory. It's just one of a few options...

Game took 44 hours on my first pacifist run. Definitely missed some alternate stuff too but happy with it overall. Gonna do a NG+ run where I kill everybody next I think.

stn

What's the track that plays the first time you exit Jensen's apartment? It sounds like a
UNATCO remix
. Thanks.

Top Bottom