• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided |OT| We Asked For This

Vic_Viper

Is there a trick to the (end-game spoilers)
final boss fight, or is it just a straight shoot until dead? I'm having a hard time because I didn't prepare for it. I do have extra praxis points and enough healing items to just stand there and shoot, but this is just so wrong overall. The whole last mission was lackluster for me.

For that all I did was
use my stun tesla once and then came up from behind him and did a non lethal take down. Simple as that!
. Exactly the same as the Harvaster mission lol

rtcn63

For that all I did was
use my stun tesla once and then came up from behind him and did a non lethal take down. Simple as that!
. Exactly the same as the Harvaster mission lol

Ah, I tried a takedown without hitting him with EMP stuff and he just countered me.
The whole mission wore me down last night, I was out of it.

The game is enjoyable overall. Did most/all of the side missions. And only one crash early on (PC). But I'm out of HDD space for games and wanted to uninstall it last night. :)

ehead

I finished my first playthrough on Normal difficulty. I went with a stealth run, no fatalities. I'm definitely sure I didn't get the best ending.
According to Picus reports, ARC is now considered a terrorist organization.

Game mechanics are definitely improved upon its predecessor. Story is more predictable, but the branching storylines/choices that actually matter is a welcome addition. I've already started New Game+ on Hard and I'll still be going stealth but I may try the tranq gun this time; aiming to grab all missions and the best ending this time.

Oh I actually had to force myself to use praxis points, that "9+" flashed for me throughout most of the game. Still had 5+ by the end. I just bought them because... well, doing a stealth run, there's nothing else to buy. All the improve weapons could be found and were for damage builds.

I agree, the game did itself a disservice by giving you access to practically all of your skills at once.
The experimental augs aren't all that interesting and borderline redundant barring the icarus dash and remote hack, so even once those become available without penalty, there's nothing really necessary by that point. You'll have all the basic augs, weapons, and ammo you need.

But I get it. Like many open-world games, it's balanced around doing pretty much just the story missions, where you'll likely end up with just enough points to get what you want. But still they could've done the trees better probably.

For sure. I think having either/or selections within each augment path would be a good solution, since that would give an element of choice regardless of how much praxis you're collecting throughout the game. In a way they started down that road with the experimental augs but obviously that goes nowhere.

I'm imagining something like remote hack having a branching path where you have to choose between being able to hack environmental unlocks or security cameras/bots. Or specialize the cloak between invisibility to organic targets or thermal masking so cameras and turrets/bots can't see you. Things of that nature.

rtcn63

I'm honestly surprised that the Icarus Dash didn't have an unlock to extend its range. The basic battery had like six unlocks or something. I've died a few times using it (I'm guessing Icarus Landing helps here). Always check for the hand bros.

Dunan

Quick question: when will the game cut off side quests? I want to keep the story moving but have a lot of side quests open. Just got back to Prague from Útulek and it's night time; I imagine the next time I leave Prague will mean a new day and a break with any open quests, as with Human Revolution.

purg3

slept with Malkin
At what point can you buy praxis points? I have a ton of cash just sitting doing nothing. Is there a vendor for them? I just finished Golem city.

Window

At what point can you buy praxis points? I have a ton of cash just sitting doing nothing. Is there a vendor for them? I just finished Golem city.

The vendor in your apartment sells two praxis points initially and then one per each phase of the city.

rtcn63

I don't think you can miss out either. I was able to buy the first two praxis kits during a later phase, then he restocked for one and one IIRC.

Quick question: when will the game cut off side quests? I want to keep the story moving but have a lot of side quests open. Just got back to Prague from Útulek and it's night time; I imagine the next time I leave Prague will mean a new day and a break with any open quests, as with Human Revolution.

The game tells you right before you start a crucial story mission (once night time happens) that doing it will cancel all ongoing side missions. You get the option to finish them, of course. It did for me I think twice.

Furyous

How are you guys getting cash to buy praxis points? This game is stingy with the credits. Can we replay missions to grind credits?

shiba5

Is there a trick to the (end-game spoilers)
final boss fight, or is it just a straight shoot until dead? I'm having a hard time because I didn't prepare for it. I do have extra praxis points and enough healing items to just stand there and shoot, but this is just so wrong overall. The whole last mission was lackluster for me.

If you find his kill switch in a room near Miller, you don't have to fight him at all. Use an EMP/takedown if you're going for pacifist.

Diancecht

How are you guys getting cash to buy praxis points? This game is stingy with the credits. Can we replay missions to grind credits?

Stingy? Half way throught the game I had 30K credits just laying around. You need to break into people's houses and loot guns from enemies. You will make so much money, you might want to think about investing that cash.

shiba5

Stingy? Half way throught the game I had 30K credits just laying around. You need to break into people's houses and loot guns from enemies. You will make so much money, you might want to think about investing that cash.

I like to break into the back room of the gun runners and sell their weapons back to them.

How similar is Deus Ex to Dishonored? I really need more stealth games in my life.

That was probably my favourite new aug after icarus dash. You can knock out guards from a distance and also one shot kill drones (with the focus), with the benefit of not having to worry about ammo like the tesla.

Is it silent? The couple times I toyed with it it seemed noisy, so I just stuck with tesla. I hadn't tried the drone thing, the nanoblades also one hit kill them without having to charge up so that's been my go-to solution for them.

Dunan

The game tells you right before you start a crucial story mission (once night time happens) that doing it will cancel all ongoing side missions. You get the option to finish them, of course. It did for me I think twice.

Good to know; thanks! HR also did you this courtesy when the stage shifted to Hengsha, and several more times after that.

I like to break into the back room of the gun runners and sell their weapons back to them.

How similar is Deus Ex to Dishonored? I really need more stealth games in my life.

Dishonored doesn't have nearly as many of the RPG elements (think dialogue, side quests, non-hostile areas, etc.). But if you really enjoy the infiltration aspects of Deus Ex, like going into the bank and tackling it with whatever powers you want, stealth or combat, guns or augments, you'll have a blast with Dishonored.

shiba5

Dishonored doesn't have nearly as many of the RPG elements (think dialogue, side quests, non-hostile areas, etc.). But if you really enjoy the infiltration aspects of Deus Ex, like going into the bank and tackling it with whatever powers you want, stealth or combat, guns or augments, you'll have a blast with Dishonored.

I think the bank just might be one of my favorite game areas ever so I will give it a try.
If the new DLC is the Palisade Bank on steroids I will be in heaven.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death

Selling guns is probably the best way but time comsuming. When you pick up a gun that you have in your inventory it turns into ammo. So for some quick cash after you clear an area, you can pick up a gun (1 of each type) sell it, then go back and repeat.

SJRB

Gold Member
How is it!? Any word yet if Square is going to do a new Play Arts Jensen figure? I really wanted to get the first one but it just doesn't look as good as some of their most recent stuff.

It's exactly what you'd expect from an artbook, which can be good or bad I guess.

It covers both Human Revolution and Mankind Divided. I was hoping for more a in-depth look at the hubs and memorable areas, but the book glances over each hub pretty fast unfortunately. A lot of the artwork was released in some way or form already, so there's not much [if any] thad made me go "wow, that's cool".

It does spend a lot of pages on the creation of Jensen, which is really interesting. And also every relevant character from both games gets their own page with a description. Also a lot of focus on weapons.

So if you're interested in general artwork of both games, it's definately worth a pickup. If you're looking for more in-depth design approach on the game's architecture and interior design or whatever, you're going to be disappointed.

I have a recommendation for people starting the game: don't comb every corner of Prague right when you start. I did that, and now I'm a bit sick of the city a bit more than halfway through the game. I would say explore the areas at a more relaxed pace, as sidequests and main missions take you there. At this point I'm just running back and forth through areas that I've already combed every pixel of, and it's getting kind of boring.

EDIT: Also, goddamn AMD logo trying to make me go deaf everytime I start the game...

So what path would you recommend for unlocking augs. I just want to play the story for the first time with the least amount of stress possible.

What would you guys recommend?

Window

So what path would you recommend for unlocking augs. I just want to play the story for the first time with the least amount of stress possible.

What would you guys recommend?

Cloaking (for minimal stress, you can just run past enemies) + hacking (for maximum story). High jump and Icarus dash for mobility.

Sanctuary

So what is the appeal of focusing more on a combat/killing route in this game? I just don't see it. Most of the scenarios are set up to where there's very little need at all to directly contront anyone ever, and even if you decide to, why kill when a tranquilizer or stun gun is just as effective? Is it just to see what it's like to have a room full of enemies swarming you? In a game that still seems more focused on stealth (while offering way more combat options...), I can't justify guns blazing.

High jump and Icarus dash for mobility.

Is there something I am missing about the Icarus Dash? Other than the second upgrade, where it can knock down, I haven't found a single use for it. I'd also say hacking 5 > inventory > lifting > inventory would be a priority. I'm also not really finding higher ranks of Cloak to be worth the praxis points, since no matter what rank you use, energy still drains like water during movement.

shiba5

I upgraded my battery and cloaking, grabbed the heavy lifting and high jump augs and was able to slip by everything in the game. It was even easy on the highest difficulty level.

SJRB

Gold Member
Heavy lifting and high jump are pretty essential for moving around, I'd definately recommend getting those as one of the first.

Then in MD somehow the entirety of the business and political elite who had gotten these mental and social augs apparently fall victim to and allow their powerful corporations and governments to push the narrative that all augs are dangerous and should be quarantined while only naturals can be trusted. Although MD in general kind of ignores that elite class of augmented individuals established in the corporate side story from HR.

I think that's supposed to speak more to the power of the Illuminati in shaping the narrative and public opinion than in people like David Sarif trying to be reasonable.

And that's not to mention that apparently *everything* is considered an "aug" including medically necessary, minute stuff like a liver replacement or a cochlear implant for doing nothing more than improving balance, but if someone has one of those "augmentations" they're classified the same as someone whose arms are capable of punching through tank armor. I absolutely love both of these games as they're two of my favorite games from the past decade, and I understand they're portraying things dramatically to help convey their message, but even as a major fan I feel some of it came off as a bit forced.

The problem there is that Eidos Montreal chose to have all augmentation require the use of biochips implanted in the brain. Unlike reality, anyone with a cochlear implant in the Deus Ex universe could be a threat.

Question: I'm starting up my game now. Is this like the last Deus Ex where they reward you more for non-lethal? If so, I'll be slightly pissy....non-lethal is boring as hell, and I played the last one that way all the way through.

Window

Is there something I am missing about the Icarus Dash? Other than the second upgrade, where it can knock down, I haven't found a single use for it. I'd also say hacking 5 > inventory > lifting > inventory would be a priority. I'm also not really finding higher ranks of Cloak to be worth the praxis points, since no matter what rank you use, energy still drains like water during movement.

Forgot about heavy lifting! That too. As for Icarus Dash, it just makes life a bit easier as I managed to dash mid air while in a jump to get to places where it would have otherwise required greater time to get to. Upgrading cloaking really allows you to use it a lot more frequently which helps when you're moving from one safe spot to another very often.

So what is the appeal of focusing more on a combat/killing route in this game? I just don't see it. Most of the scenarios are set up to where there's very little need at all to directly contront anyone ever, and even if you decide to, why kill when a tranquilizer or stun gun is just as effective? Is it just to see what it's like to have a room full of enemies swarming you? In a game that still seems more focused on stealth (while offering way more combat options...), I can't justify guns blazing.

Lethal in this game is lacking in general. The Nanoblade can't be aimed from cover, lethal takedowns aren't silent, pistol headshots aren't an instant kill because everybody has helmets, there's never enough assault rifle ammo (first game had the same problem, even though promo material always seems to show it as THE weapon to use in both games), and Adam only feels resilient as most basic enemies until you've put 3+ points into defensive abilities.

Icarus Dash lets you reach locations that you can't with high jump. It's pretty useful for shortcuts.

I do feel like there are some balance issues on the stealth side of things, it's way too much of a breeze. Cloak makes you entirely invisible to everything, human, laser, security camera, etc. Tesla and stun gun are some of the easiest ways to take out enemies in the game since they're an instant takedown no matter where they hit, and one of them even locks on. There's too little drawback to going stealth when its quieter easier and faster to take people down that way.

Also I remember feeling this way with HR too but I still feel like they are way too liberal with vents as a way to just completely bypass everything. For all the talk about the amazing bank level design I ended up just trivializing the whole thing by spending the whole time in the vents. I think there needs to be more hazards and locks etc. in venting systems, or just have them appear more sparingly or something, idk.

Window

Also I remember feeling this way with HR too but I still feel like they are way too liberal with vents as a way to just completely bypass everything. For all the talk about the amazing bank level design I ended up just trivializing the whole thing by spending the whole time in the vents. I think there needs to be more hazards and locks etc. in venting systems, or just have them appear more sparingly or something, idk.
I wouldn't want them to reduce the vent systems but something like the bolded is absolutely needed. Also tie those obstacles to some other upgrade skill trees. I usually tend to find vents, explore them and then back out and find an actual path through the level because otherwise I feel like I'm missing out on large parts of the game.

Sanctuary

Forgot about heavy lifting! That too. As for Icarus Dash, it just makes life a bit easier as I managed to dash mid air while in a jump to get to places where it would have otherwise required greater time to get to. Upgrading cloaking really allows you to use it a lot more frequently which helps when you're moving from one safe spot to another very often.

Upgrading cloaking doesn't allow you to use it more frequently. Upgrading your recharge rate and recharge delay do that. Rank 1 and rank 3 cloaking will still drain your energy like nothing unless you're sitting still. If you're sitting still, you'll most likely have a box to hide behind anyway, and if you need it just to avoid a patrol, rank 1 still gets the job done.

I do feel like there are some balance issues on the stealth side of things, it's way too much of a breeze. Cloak makes you entirely invisible to everything, human, laser, security camera, etc. Tesla and stun gun are some of the easiest ways to take out enemies in the game since they're an instant takedown no matter where they hit, and one of them even locks on. There's too little drawback to going stealth when its quieter easier and faster to take people down that way.

Cloaking is worse in this game compared to Human Revolution. By a lot. You had a full seven seconds of cloaking for a single battery in the first game, while moving.

IIRC, the original Deus Ex had much less tranquilizer ammo, and the "Stun gun" had even less range than the one in HR, so it made sense in that game to sometimes kill someone if you didn't want to sneak around the entire time. It never made sense in HR, and it doesn't make sense in this game.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death

Tell me about it. It's sad to know that in the future, vents will become our nations downfall.

Window

Upgrading cloaking doesn't allow you to use it more frequently. Upgrading your recharge rate and recharge delay do that. Rank 1 and rank 3 cloaking will still drain your energy like nothing unless you're sitting still. If you're sitting still, you'll most likely have a box to hide behind anyway, and if you need it just to avoid a patrol, rank 1 still gets the job done.

You're right that it doesn't reduce the consumption rate but upgrading cloaking reduces the amount by which your battery recharge threshold drops by with each use. This allows you to use it more frequently per battery cell. Battery recharge rate and delay are a different issue which affect how quickly you can use an ability again and not how often. I use cloaking when moving between cover points obviously, not when behind cover.

Is it just me, or does going all in on hacking early make this game kind of a cake-walk on normal difficulty?
The game is a cake walk in general unless you set yourself goals like taking out each and every enemy in an area non-lethally or something along those lines (I sometimes do this because it makes exploration + reading emails easier).

Sadist

Haha, and with all the posts above me this is even funnier.

It's true though. I'm reaching the end (apparently I've done all the side quests... it's twelve quests right?) and I'm looking for the final clues. At this point I've rarely engaged enemies and gotten so many Smooth Operator/Ghost bonuses it's not even funny. If you upgrade your hacking skills and the stealth aug it's smooth sailing.

I wouldn't want them to reduce the vent systems but something like the bolded is absolutely needed. Also tie those obstacles to some other upgrade skill trees. I usually tend to find vents, explore them and then back out and find an actual path through the level because otherwise I feel like I'm missing out on large parts of the game.

Definitely. I also think part of the problem is the skill tree system now in general, where you can easily unlock so many upgrades so quickly. Poison gas, cracked walls, and keypads don't really feel like obstacles when you have so many praxis to spare and no limits to how many augs you activate.

Cloaking is worse in this game compared to Human Revolution. By a lot. You had a full seven seconds of cloaking for a single battery in the first game, while moving.

IIRC, the original Deus Ex had much less tranquilizer ammo, and the "Stun gun" had even less range than the one in HR, so it made sense in that game to sometimes kill someone if you didn't want to sneak around the entire time. It never made sense in HR, and it doesn't make sense in this game.

Ya, DX1 tranqs also took annoyingly long to knock out people. I mentioned it before but IW had two separate cloaking mods, one which only hid you from people, the other from bots/cameras. I think a system like that would help make your life easier without trivializing every encounter.

Tell me about it. It's sad to know that in the future, vents will become our nations downfall.

I do remember reading a pretty hilarious email in HR I think, asking why there were so many enormous vents everywhere haha.

Edit: all this being said the game is a blast and overall I'm really impressed with the level design. I can't imagine how difficult it must be to design a mission space with so many different gameplay styles in mind.

Beat the game. Don't know how long I spent, but must have been 40-50+ hours. Did every side mission fully (all optional parts as well), all points of interest, accumulated over like 100k+ credits, had 90% augs unlocked. Played lethal-stealth. Explored every nook and cranny and hoarded everything. Explored all the paths in each mission.

Ending was lame with how it ended "abruptly". You HOPED there would be more, but there wasn't, just a mid credits scene teasing at the sequel.

My major gripes:
1. Biocell/Battery usage is TEDIOUS. Everything FUN consumes battery even with the upgraded augs. Should have just strapped the system and put a cooldown TIMER on abilities instead of this battery crap and popping biocells constantly.
2. Majority of augs are useless and don't do much. They really need to diversify and put more meaningful augs.
3. Main story is not coherent. Too many confusing plot threads. Some side quests are good though, but the writing needs improving.

I'll rate it 7/10. I didn't post any pros, but believe me I had a lot of fun. I barely can finish games, but I powered through this game since it was FUN. Definitely enjoyed my playthrough, however I don't think I can NG+ this game.

Also I'll be skipping breach from it being a microtransaction hell hole.

I hope MD 2 is bigger.

Timeaisis

Isn't SM11 supposed to pop when I get back to
Prague under curfew
? It hasn't for me yet. I got A POI for sm12, though.

I think there needs to be more hazards and locks etc. in venting systems, or just have them appear more sparingly or something, idk.

My suspicion is that they were intending to do that with those breakable vent 'walls' that you occasionally find in the vents and have to punch through. I'm wondering if they initially intended those to either make a lot of noise or risk setting off an alarm or security device somehow but changed their minds later in development. As it stands now those flimsy walls you find and smash through while creeping around the ductwork seemingly serve no purpose.

I generally liked all the vent paths and would often backtrack and explore them even when I had reached my destination if I stumbled across one that I hadn't previously discovered. Although there were some hilarious ones that made no structural sense. I recall one system of venting that connected the back rooms of two shops across the street from either other in entirely separate buildings, and then there were those vents that directly connected the bathrooms of all the neighboring apartments in one of the apartment complexes. It was fun to explore but I was also amused that those poor people would have all their neighbors' noise and smells passed directly through the vents into their pads. It would be especially bad for the neighbor of the one party animal guy whose place looked like a pig sty.

nOoblet16

My suspicion is that they were intending to do that with those breakable vent 'walls' that you occasionally find in the vents and have to punch through. I'm wondering if they initially intended those to either make a lot of noise or risk setting off an alarm or security device somehow but changed their minds later in development. As it stands now those flimsy walls you find and smash through while creeping around the ductwork seemingly serve no purpose.

I generally liked all the vent paths and would often backtrack and explore them even when I had reached my destination if I stumbled across one that I hadn't previously discovered. Although there were some hilarious ones that made no structural sense. I recall one system of venting that connected the back rooms of two shops across the street from either other in entirely separate buildings, and then there were those vents that directly connected the bathrooms of all the neighboring apartments in one of the apartment complexes. It was fun to explore but I was also amused that those poor people would have all their neighbors' noise and smells passed directly through the vents into their pads. It would be especially bad for the neighbor of the one party animal guy whose place looked like a pig sty.
I might be wrong but I think you can't break those walls in the vents if you don't have the aug that enables you to destroy thick objects like walls, reinforced vents etc.

SJRB

Gold Member
About to leave Prague for the second time [going to the
GARM facility
] and the game warns me that any unfinished sidemissions will be canceled. However, my log is clean.

Does it warn you by default or does this mean I missed something somewhere?

Edit: checked a faq - apparantly I missed two points of interest.

Top Bottom