• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided |OT| We Asked For This

Beat the game. Don't know how long I spent, but must have been 40-50+ hours. Did every side mission fully (all optional parts as well), all points of interest, accumulated over like 100k+ credits, had 90% augs unlocked. Played lethal-stealth. Explored every nook and cranny and hoarded everything. Explored all the paths in each mission.

Ending was lame with how it ended "abruptly". You HOPED there would be more, but there wasn't, just a mid credits scene teasing at the sequel.

My major gripes:
1. Biocell/Battery usage is TEDIOUS. Everything FUN consumes battery even with the upgraded augs. Should have just strapped the system and put a cooldown TIMER on abilities instead of this battery crap and popping biocells constantly.
2. Majority of augs are useless and don't do much. They really need to diversify and put more meaningful augs.
3. Main story is not coherent. Too many confusing plot threads. Some side quests are good though, but the writing needs improving.

I'll rate it 7/10. I didn't post any pros, but believe me I had a lot of fun. I barely can finish games, but I powered through this game since it was FUN. Definitely enjoyed my playthrough, however I don't think I can NG+ this game.

Also I'll be skipping breach from it being a microtransaction hell hole.

I hope MD 2 is bigger.

Many of the same gripes here. I'll add that level design is archaic, traversal felt rigid and performance sucked ass on PS4.

I gave up on the game during the terrible filler section (mid-game spoiler)
where you go into the abstract hologram conference call machine thing
. God that was some bullshit.

I can't fathom how this is rated 80+ on metacritic. Art direction was good, but apart from that it felt like Invisible War did when that came out. Everything about this game just feels outdated.

Window

Many of the same gripes here. I'll add that level design is archaic, traversal felt rigid and performance sucked ass on PS4.

I gave up on the game during the terrible filler section (mid-game spoiler)
where you go into the abstract hologram conference call machine thing
. God that was some bullshit.

I can't fathom how this is rated 80+ on metacritic. Art direction was good, but apart from that it felt like Invisible War did when that came out. Everything about this game just feels outdated.

What.

Yeah?

I'm not talking about window dressing. Like I said, the art direction of its levels is mostly outstanding, especially the dark/night sections.

I'm talking about the parts you can actually traverse.

The original Deus Ex was way more ambitious in its level design. It felt more organic, too. Level design here felt mostly uninspired, falling back on the same stealth tropes again and again.

Traversal was also disappointing; for instance, the way they ripped off Dishonoured's Blink skill and yet completely fucked the implementation is embarrassing.

I might be wrong but I think you can't break those walls in the vents if you don't have the aug that enables you to destroy thick objects like walls, reinforced vents etc.

Ah that would make sense. I picked up the wall buster aug pretty early so if those little internal vent wall grates were tied to that I wouldn't have noticed, although breaking them didn't drain any battery the way breaking the normal external concrete and larger metal walls did.

Window

Yeah?

I'm not talking about window dressing. Like I said, the art direction of its levels is mostly outstanding, especially the dark/night sections.

I'm talking about the parts you can actually traverse.

The original Deus Ex was way more ambitious in its level design. It felt more organic, too. Level design here felt mostly uninspired, falling back on the same stealth tropes again and again.

Traversal was also disappointing; for instance, the way they ripped off Dishonoured's Blink skill and yet completely fucked the implementation is embarrassing.
Well I can't think of any game which lives up to the original in its ambition of level design but when you call the level design in this game archaic it does raise eyebrows. What exactly did you find archaic and what stealth tropes are you talking about?

I think the level design in this game is some of the best since the original. Palisade bank and the multitude of secrets and pathways to encounter them is proof of that. If there's anything MD is superior in over HR its level design. HR was very much a game about moving from point A to point B along a passageway with slightly different means of getting there. Not to mention most levels in terms of enemy and object placement made encounters dead obvious and boring. In MD not only is there more nuance on the latter (though still not enough) but the hub structure of levels allows you approach your objectives (and discover hidden ones) in a fashion which few games allow. Though admittedly not all levels follow this structure.

I found traversal to be completely competent. I don't ever recall having a problem with it. As for Icarus Dash, I don't think it was meant to serve as a blink substitute. For one, you can only dash laterally and never really across very far distances. It was meant as a little boost while in the middle of a jump to get to difficult to reach locations and as a means to dash quickly to cover and it fulfils that role fine.

Really liked the last mission.
Basically the only time where the main story goes in acceleration mode.

It took me 35-40 hours to complete the game, finishing all side-quests playing pacifist stealth on the highest difficulty. Gameplay and exploring the hub was really fun, the story and the characters however weren't all that interesting or fleshed out. Major bummer in a Deus Ex game.

It's also clear to me that somewhere during development a significant part of the story must have been cut because I feel like having completed the first act of a two- or three-act game. It's not that the game is too short but the story doesn't conclude in a satisfying manner.

Really liked the last mission.
Basically the only time where the main story goes in acceleration mode.

It took me 35-40 hours to complete the game, finishing all side-quests playing pacifist stealth on the highest difficulty. Gameplay and exploring the hub was really fun, the story and the characters however weren't all that interesting or fleshed out. Major bummer in a Deus Ex game.

It's also clear to me that somewhere during development a significant part of the story must have been cut because I feel like having completed the first act of a two- or three-act game. It's not that the game is too short but the story doesn't conclude in a satisfying manner.

story is definitely cut short. like, halfway through it even feels like i'm going some random side quests, nothing of the scope you'd expect from the main story. not to mention the ending, just when you thought it's the end of arc 2 and the third one begins, you'll get an insulting "YOU'VE UNLOCKED NEW GAME PLUS!!!"

such a shame for an otherwise pretty perfect sequel to dxhr. gameplay wise definitely better.

Well I can't think of any game which lives up to the original in its ambition of level design but when you call the level design in this game archaic it does raise eyebrows. What exactly did you find archaic and what stealth tropes are you talking about?

I think the level design in this game is some of the best since the original. Palisade bank and the multitude of secrets and pathways to encounter them is proof of that. If there's anything MD is superior in over HR its level design. HR was very much a game about moving from point A to point B along a passageway with slightly different means of getting there. Not to mention most levels in terms of enemy and object placement made encounters dead obvious and boring. In MD not only is there more nuance on the latter (though still not enough) but the hub structure of levels allows you approach your objectives (and discover hidden ones) in a fashion which few games allow. Though admittedly not all levels follow this structure.

I found traversal to be completely competent. I don't ever recall having a problem with it. As for Icarus Dash, I don't think it was meant to serve as a blink substitute. For one, you can only dash laterally and never really across very far distances. It was meant as a little boost while in the middle of a jump to get to difficult to reach locations and as a means to dash quickly to cover and it fulfils that role fine.
Thanks for the well-argued reply.

I get your point on it being improved from HR, but that's a 5-year-old game that didn't exactly turn heads for its revolutionary level design at the time. Even then, a lot of progress has been made in that time by other franchises and even before HR came out.

I think traversal is a big part of that, and Deus Ex has made little effort to catch up in that regard. Games like Dishonored, Assassin's Creed (yes, even that franchise), MGS V, Hitman, Splinter Cell (eg. Blacklist), Far Cry, Arkham..All of them feature creative and fluid ways to traverse the environment and expand your stealth options. Deus Ex, meanwhile, is mainly stuck using air vents as the go-to stealth option. Sometimes, sure, you can put a thing in a window-washing platform and it takes you up, or you can punch through a wall. These are recurring elements, never just a one-off burst of creativity or part of a sandbox for the player to stealth around in. Oh, there's the platform again. I guess there's a secret window up there or whatever. It always feels limited and it rarely feels organic playing it.

Palisade bank was okay, because it was more complex in its layout and felt more like an actual place than other locations. The standard gamut of stealth options you had (vents, walls, the lot) felt like they actually belonged in this place and their layout made sense.

The hub structure is where the game's limitations stand out to me. Again, the traversal options are so limited that it's telegraphed miles away what your options for approach are. The game would have benefited from more dead space and dead ends; the hub feels cramped and almost every street leads to an objective. Instead of the hub feeling open and giving the player a sense of freedom in its approach, every section is just a little level leading to an objective, and every one of those levels has a predictable, limited range of options. Instead of one big open stealth sandbox, it's a couple dozen smaller levels, each with two or three very obvious means of approach.

Apart from all this, the game is also very obviously lacking in its dialogue mechanics, the story, console performance, inventory/trading, the writing and terrible filler bits like the section I described earlier (going into the conference call machine matrix world or some shit), but that's all irrelevant if it plays great. It never really does. It comes close at times, but then it's disappointing again 2 minutes later.

Wrapping up, re: Icarus Dash, I get the feeling it was absolutely meant to be a Blink substitute, just half-heartedly implemented and as a result failed to be an interesting mechanic. I didn't really understand what its point was, other than to remind me of how well Dishonored implemented something similar. Maybe it can do awesome stuff; the game just didn't bother telling me about it.

Side griefs: pretty much everything is completely underpowered compared to the Stun Gun, even Takedowns. Also, if anything feels archaic, it's the damn Takedown cutscenes :(

Timeaisis

Mission 14 spoilers

So I'm at a point where I can kill
Otar and Radich
. I usually go nonlethal, but I mean
they're the head of the biggest crime family in Prague
. I almost would feel remiss not killing them. Does that mess anything up for my playthrough?

rtcn63

Finally finished the game. The last hour or two really left a bad taste in my mouth. From the inaccurate maps (I'd be staring at a wall and yet the map would show an entire hallway or door ahead of me) that made navigating areas with multiples floors a chore, to the inconsistent audio levels (during the ending cinematic, one group's dialogue matched the adjust in-game audio level while another was whisper quiet, giving me such a headache that I finally just skipped the video entirely- why subtitles don't apply boggles me). Oh and the unskippable credits sequence. Which is still going as I'm typing this (alt+tab). I even had time to take a shower.

Overall, a 7.5/10.

So I got the deluxe edition and I heard that all the consumable items are one time use or something like that. So if I use my 9 praxis kits from storage then that's it? They're gone?

Also for those that have this version, what's the difference between the elite weapons and the ones at the beginning of the game?

I just don't want to use something and regret it.

televator

Just beat it a few minutes ago. Game is good and solid for the most part. Writing was bad for the main arc (racism/concentration camps lol). Some individual quests were well written and delved niceley into the the paradoxes presented in cybernetic enhancements.

The new augments are mostly bogus. The main aug tree is still mostly the way to go, except for the remote hacking. Remote hacking can be handy dandy.

I loved the weapon options. EMP ammo spices things up for non lethal play.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Holy crap, side mission 05.

I came for the damming evidence, but stayed for the loot. I found 3 large safes at the bottom but dont have the cards for them and Im sure Ive been everywhere in the bank. Im guessing they are somewhere else.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Holy crap, side mission 05.

I came for the damming evidence, but stayed for the loot. I found 3 large safes at the bottom but dont have the cards for them and Im sure Ive been everywhere in the bank. Im guessing they are somewhere else.

You will be able to come back, and the access cards are obtained outside the bank. IIRC you get one during a main quest or a side quest. You get this gun from Tarvos security vault (you find the card to it in the basement of Sobchak Security in north Prague) :

v5WhFdj.jpg

Grisby

Finished. This was a good game.

I really liked Prague, but I feel that a single location might have hurt the game in the long run. I'll have to post my thoughts later.

The ending isn't quite Halo 2 levels, but it does feel like a, 'hey and now the real adventure begins!' type of deal. I didn't dig on the story as much as HR.

Got my foxiest of hounds and pacifist cheevos though, which is nice.

One thing I'm sure of is that I need to find out where I can buy the OST. Don't see it up on Itunes yet.

Think I've thoroughly checked out
Palisade Bank
as part of a side-mission. There's a little room above the CEO's office though that I couldn't find an entrance to. Do you have to get there via the
corporate elevator
which I havent got access to yet?

Mid game spoilers?

Decision to make:
Allison or bank?

Mission 14 spoilers

So I'm at a point where I can kill
Otar and Radich
. I usually go nonlethal, but I mean
they're the head of the biggest crime family in Prague
. I almost would feel remiss not killing them. Does that mess anything up for my playthrough?

Probably won't get the Pacifist trophy. Why not kill them next play through.

Timeaisis

Well, I finished it. Really dug the last few missions. Ending was alright. I was expecting worse from all the GAF criticism. I mean it left a lot hanging, but that's been like every game in this series.

I
killed Marchenko by turning the turrets/robots against him, distracting him enough to stun him, then went in for a takedown kill
. It was awesome.

Megasoum

Banned
So I guess Icarus Landing doesn't do the fancy animation anymore?

Not that I'm complaining since it was annoying everything you jumped anywhere in the first game but I'm pretty sure I fell distances high enough to kill me and always stayed in first person.

Not that I'm complaining since it was annoying everything you jumped anywhere in the first game but I'm pretty sure I fell distances high enough to kill me and always stayed in first person.

It does, but the game gives a lot of leeway. You can fall from higher without activating it. The first time it turned on for me was when I was hopping around the roof tops in the red light district.

Megasoum

Banned
Man, those PC crashes are a big bummer...

Looks like some kind of memory leak maybe? I generally crash after playing 2-3 hours.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF

It still does if you fall from higher heights. It looks like if you're not quite high enough (but still high enough to die normally), you'll just get a landing-on-hands animation. If you're a bit higher than that, you get the fancy animation.

I found that dropping down into sewers usually triggered the hands animation, while jumping into sewers triggered the full animation.

Nessus

Can anyone answer this question:

if you unintentionally make the State Police hostile (earlier on) so that they will shoot you on sight, is there any way to reset them or recover from that or are you screwed and need to go back to an earlier save file?

A friend of mine accidentally saved after making the security guards in the bank hostile (which then made the State Police outside hostile) and the autosaves are all after that point, and his next most recent manual save is hours earlier.

Is there any solution besides losing hours of progress?

Kaz42

Can anyone answer this question:

if you unintentionally make the State Police hostile (earlier on) so that they will shoot you on sight, is there any way to reset them or recover from that or are you screwed and need to go back to an earlier save file?

A friend of mine accidentally saved after making the security guards in the bank hostile (which then made the State Police outside hostile) and the autosaves are all after that point, and his next most recent manual save is hours earlier.

Is there any solution besides losing hours of progress?

I'm pretty sure you can just run away and hide and wait for the panic and search to end. After it ends cops are fine again, at least they were when I wreaked havoc on prague citizens before reloading a save.

malfcn

What is Chikanes Place? Should I leave? I still haven't even started TF29 but keep breaking into places (even with no augs).

It's too fun and tempting..

mbpm1

What is Chikanes Place? Should I leave? I still haven't even started TF29 but keep breaking into places (even with no augs).

It's too fun and tempting..

You should get your augs back from that mission so you can break into more places

Dyna

After Golem City all the vendors in Prague have been re-introducing themselves and saying the same dialogue they would when talking to them for the first time even though I have already talked to every one of them prior to Golem City. The Breach software dude in the Tech Noir store has now made the same remarks about my augs like three times, once when I first talked to him and twice after returning to Prague. Anyone else had this happen to them? I assume this is a bug. If doing main missions or triggering some events etc. actually resets the vendors' dialogue that is really stupid. It isn't that big of a deal as I mostly just skip the dialogue anyway if I'm selling some junk to them, but it is a bit immersion breaking that they act like they haven't seen me before even though I've visited most of them at least a couple of times already.

Djostikk

Beat the game. Got Pacifist trophy, but not Hound. So what can also mess up that trophy? I remember getting "searching" sometimes,but not alert, I didn't have alert tutorial window too. I am thinking now why I didn't get it.

Beat the game. Got Pacifist trophy, but not Hound. So what can also mess up that trophy? I remember getting "searching" sometimes,but not alert, I didn't have alert tutorial window too. I am thinking now why I didn't get it.

Failing a hack can ruin the achievement , even if an alarm wasn't raised.

Window

It's true that the game does not create a sandbox environment like the ones mentioned but perhaps Deus Ex isn't about that sort of level design (though I can see an argument for it considering Deus Ex is supposed to be about emergent gameplay and a sandbox structure is more accommodating of it). The stun gun is definitely overpowered (as it was in HR as well). The game still very clearly favours and directs players to a stealth play style.

usp84

Somehow I triggered an alarm and didn't get Foxiest of the Hounds trophy and I don't know where that happened.

I am just gonna ignore everything else in my next try and be invisible 90% of the time

Akai__

I just got to the
hologram Jim Miller data tower hacking sim

Holy. Fucking. Shit. Amazing.

Just curious. What do you find amazing about it? Because if it's
the virtual world and hacking puzzles, there is a whole gamemode that is about that. Or is it the story/plot?

Somehow I triggered an alarm and didn't get Foxiest of the Hounds trophy and I don't know where that happened.

I am just gonna ignore everything else in my next try and be invisible 90% of the time

That's what I did. Some tips (ENDGAME SPOILERS):

- Don't touch any guard at all, if you don't have to.
- Use Multitools (if you have them) to bypass any door that is relevant to story and to your stealth approach.
-
Leave the area where you meet Janus through the elevator shaft. Don't go through the sewers, as that is an scripted auto-alarm.
-
Always contact Alex instead of Miller.
-
Take out all 11 guards at the party in London and hide them.
-
Take out the 3 guards in the Catering area in London.
-
Go to Marchenko first and use the Button on the 2nd Floor under the desk which unlocks a hidden door (near the Security PC and Turret) to get to the delegates without ever seeing an enemy. Bypassing the whole area to get to the delegates on the normal way.
-
When fighting Marchenko, don't let him see you after the cutscene. Go to the 2nd floor on the right side and disable all of the Security. Watch out for Mines and Lasers in that area. You can get rid of Marchenko by using the Stun Gun + Silent Takedown.

I hope you get it, as the achievement is unfortunately glitched. Will sometimes trigger alarns in areas you have left already, without telling you. The only way to tell is a music clue, which only plays when an alarm is triggered appareantly. But even then, you won't be notified on your HUD.

I may have forgotten something, so use the internet to look up even more tips.

Djostikk

Just curious. What do you find amazing about it? Because if it's
the virtual world and hacking puzzles, there is a whole gamemode that is about that. Or is it the story/plot?

That's what I did. Some tips (ENDGAME SPOILERS):

- Don't touch any guard at all, if you don't have to.
- Use Multitools (if you have them) to bypass any door that is relevant to story and to your stealth approach.
-
Leave the area where you meet Janus through the elevator shaft. Don't go through the sewers, as that is an scripted auto-alarm.
-
Always contact Alex instead of Miller.
-
Take out all 11 guards at the party in London and hide them.
-
Take out the 3 guards in the Catering area in London.
-
Go to Marchenko first and use the Button on the 2nd Floor under the desk which unlocks a hidden door (near the Security PC and Turret) to get to the delegates without ever seeing an enemy. Bypassing the whole area to get to the delegates on the normal way.
-
When fighting Marchenko, don't let him see you after the cutscene. Go to the 2nd floor on the right side and disable all of the Security. Watch out for Mines and Lasers in that area. You can get rid of Marchenko by using the Stun Gun + Silent Takedown.

I hope you get it, as the achievement is unfortunately glitched. Will sometimes trigger alarns in areas you have left already, without telling you. The only way to tell is a music clue, which only plays when an alarm is triggered appareantly. But even then, you won't be notified on your HUD.

I may have forgotten something, so use the internet to look up even more tips.

Also don't use drill in GRAM.

I think you can easily defeat Marchenko with Kill Switch.

Top Bottom