• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Narag

Rottweiler said:
Sorry to disappoint you but that shot doesn't look like that on my TV. Looks clear just like the PS3 version.

Also:
Linked CVG article said:
We did a bit of video trickery to get both versions running side-by-side as closely as possible, so you can take your magnifying glass to the screen in an effort to spot a difference. You won't be able to though. Not unless you're Superman.

Why is people trippin? the 360 versions looks the same and i honestly can't find a problem with the 360 controls. *scratches head*

Dahbomb

HOLY FUCKING CRAP!!!!! :lol

GUYS .... DO A TAUNT DURING A SPRINT!!!!! :lol

IT'S THE NERO MUTHA FUCKING DROP KICK!!!! :lol

Taunt = Select on the PS3 version.

RyuHayate

Dahbomb said:
I agree that 10 minutes is too short.

It's short because I keep running out of time trying to experiment with move properties and combos. Whatever....

I do the same thing! In Exterminator, the Devil Bringer doesn't allow to you bring enemies to your position until the tutorial screen pops up to show you how to do it. I think that if I had it early on that the combat meter would've maintained higher level (my first time around I couldn't get further than "Carnage" until I got it) and I would've breezed through it in under ten minutes.

I recommend playing the Executioner mode instead; it's much more enjoyable.

Steroyd

dralla said:
how do I slam Berial's face in the ground like the movies

You have weaken him till his fire goes out, jump up to his face and use your arm.

You can even fling him up when he's smackpwned. ^_^

-Mikey-

Without reading the rest of this thread I just wanted to know if the demo is now out for the PS3 or if it was pushed back to next week.

Dahbomb

-Mikey- said:
Without reading the rest of this thread I just wanted to know if the demo is now out for the PS3 or if it was pushed back to next week.
JPN PSN.

Guys seriously try out the Nero drop kick = While sprinting press Taunt.

Ceb

Nero's demon arm is a great addition to the series. Feels very familiar otherwise - not that there's anything wrong with that. The visual style feels more like DMC than "DMC2" and DMC3, which is good. Love the ambient track on the title screen.

dralla

ah shit, I was using the arm to pull myself to him, so it wouldn't let me use it again. You have to jump manually, than use the arm

Idioteque

It's really fun and looks great. I just wish the demo wasn't timed. It has however done it's job at increasing my anticipation for the game.

I'm gonna download the PS3 version now to see how well it plays with the PS3 controller.

mileS

WOW great demo!

I was VERY impressed by the graphics, even after all the hype and watching the high res trailers. I'm just curious to see how differently Dante plays because this is my first DMC game so everything is new to me.

Dahbomb

BboyDubC said:
How do you intentionally sprint, or do you have to wait for it to "kick in"?
You have to wait for it to kick in.

You can actually combo OFF of the drop kick.... THIS IS DMC! :lol

BboyDubC

Honestly, I don't think Capcom makes great demos. It was a poor presumption to suggest that if people released good demos, their games would sell. Capcom makes great PRODUCT. Because of that, their demos are just great, and they end up selling a crapton. Kudos to capcom for pushing next gen. The visuals are the most surprising thing to me. Some of the best lighting I've seen since gears of war.

Yoboman

Fuuuuuuck Berial is kicking my ass. This is DMC alright. Damn the demo for not including the continue function though

Dahbomb

BboyDubC said:
Honestly, I don't think Capcom makes great demos. It was a poor presumption to suggest that if people released good demos, their games would sell. Capcom makes great PRODUCT. Because of that, their demos are just great, and they end up selling a crapton. Kudos to capcom for pushing next gen. The visuals are the most surprising thing to me. Some of the best lighting I've seen since gears of war.
Lost Planet says hi. Great demo, underwhelming product though I am still in the "Lost Planet is still a decently good game" crowd.

Just gave the PS3 demo a shot. Played it with my DS3. As soon as you hit the start button there is this nice vroom rumble just to let you know it is there.

The game looks better than I expected. I guess it looks better in motion or something. That fight against Berial was amazing. Some of the best and intense graphics I have ever seen.

The animation for the main character Nero was a bit dissapointing though. It feels like character animation wise the game is only a small step up from the PS2 games. It feels too stiff and wooden. I guess it's just that the first game was just so amazing animation wise. In the sequel they just tried to keep the same rhythm and didn't redesign it for this next gen.

The button mashing is intense. I am afraid I will get carpal tunnel. I am not as young as I used to be...

so i played thru the 360 and ps3 versions.. 360 vga, ps3 hdmi.

i really couldn't tell the difference.

i didn't have issues with either controller.

no rumble felt weird though...

god damn, i have to go to work in 2 hours and didn't get any sleep, might have to take a 1 hour nap!

BboyDubC

Dahbomb said:
Lost Planet says hi. Great demo, underwhelming product though I am still in the "Lost Planet is still a decently good game" crowd.

I'm part of the crowd that thinks Lost Planet is still in the top 3 games to have been released this gen. The product far surpassed the demo's quality to me. So much more good stuff in the final game. I don't care what anyone says. Multiplayer was also the best multiplayer I've played yet. Not just run around shooter, but complete with mechs, ziplining around, and other greatness. GAF and critics be damned, it's my opinion.

The Faceless Master said:
this is one of the greatest demos in the history of demos...

how is capcom so damn good at demos?

lost planet, dead rising, lost planet #2, now this!

It's actually a odd demo, a fuckin-timer?

No trailer, no mention of how Dante (who makes Nero's combat look like a little bitches) is playable in at least half the game...

If the core mechanic wasn't as good as it was this would typically be a pretty poorly put together demo in terms of actually selling the game.

Not to mention there are like a billion attacks Capcom doesn't tell people how to do -- but I guess figuring it out is half the fun.

BboyDubC

C- Warrior said:

No trailer, no mention of how Dante (who makes Nero's combat look like a little bitches) is playable in at least half the game...

If the core mechanic wasn't as good as it was this would typically be a pretty poorly put together demo in terms of actually selling the game.

Not to mention there are like a billion attacks Capcom doesn't tell people how to do -- but I guess figuring it out is half the fun.

Unfortunately you only have 10 minutes and a sparse few enemies to figure it out on.

C- Warrior said:
Indeed. Although it's not a problem really -- an annoyance to get used to if you especially accustomed to DMC1 - 3 on PS2, sure.

When holding the right bumper, don't use your fingertip, but shift your hand upward so you depress the right bumper with more of the base of the finger.

As someone who had to deal with putting G on RB for VF5 and consequently tape up my wrist, this is worth repeating. (I have my arcade stick now, though.)

dralla said:
ah shit, I was using the arm to pull myself to him, so it wouldn't let me use it again. You have to jump manually, than use the arm

R1+O = snatch

O (by itself) = slam and toss the little bitch around

Get used to doing this:

(in air) snatch an enemy off ground, then press O, then quickly snatch another (while you're still in the air) via R1+O, then slam another one (again, O by itself)

KEY:
R1 = Right Bumper
O = B
Y = /\ = triangle

Steroyd

-Mikey- said:

The Euro and ONLY the Euro demo has been pushed back to next week... typical. >_>

BboyDubC said:
Unfortunately you only have 10 minutes and a sparse few enemies to figure it out on.

The typical reaction is play the time limit mode (since it's defaulted on that) learn the basic mechanics, then switch to the boss fight mode. DIE...then DIE...then DIE again. Switch back to the time limit mode, get better. Then go back and kill the boss.

RyuHayate

C- Warrior said:

You're better off playing Executioner, dude. I have no desire to go back to Exterminator after having the opportunity to figure the combos without being stressed out because of the time limit. Plus, you get to bring enemies to you with the DB from the get go.

dejay

Banned
I'm impressed with the demo, even if some of the visuals looked a little dated. The water in the fountain looked naff and the cliffs surrounding the docks looked a little odd. Still, for an action game with a smooth as butter frame rate and no tearing insignificant details like that can be ignored. As mentioned the lighting is godly.

Oh, and people complaining about the right bumper - get over it. You're meant to be gamers with hands and fingers like double jointed spiders. Very smart, adaptable, gymnastic spiders.

Lince

Banned
just played through the PS3 demo, the boss fight was awesome... only complaints would be: too easy (duh, it's a demo and they want the game to sell) and some minor slowdown in cut-scenes, appart from that the game looks and runs very nice for a 60 fps game.

now downloading the 360 demo...

RyuHayate said:
You're better off playing Executioner, dude. I have no desire to go back to Exterminator after having the opportunity to figure the combos without being stressed out because of the time limit. Plus, you get to bring enemies to with the DB from the get go.

Indeed.

But Capcom obviously intended new - users to fuck with Extermination, learn the ropes on the easier enemies. Then switch to Executioner and never turn back.

LOL At Nero's taunt.

"May I have this dance..."

You can infinitely rev up as well.

Slash, (just-rev) Slash, (just-rev), Slash, (just-rev).

it's hard, and the frame openings decrease each time you do it.

during the cutscenes, press and hold right trigger / R2

Defuser said:
For some reason I'm not quite used to the revving while attacking.

360 version:

Slash = Y

Slash ~~ tap Left Trigger

Remember Final Fantasy 8? It's like that. gunblade-ish.

during the middle of the sword strike animation, tap Left Trigger to just-rev.

PS3 version:

Slash = /\

Slash ~~ tap L2

Dot50Cal

Banned
Is anyone elses 360 conrtoller messing up while walking? I keep getting reset to walking instead of running. Game bug or is my 360 controller analog dying?

Yasser

C- Warrior said:
that may be but i've not seen anyone go "i'm not buying this after playing the demo". then again, capcom is kinda preaching to the choir as far as this thread is concerned :p

Narag

Dot50Cal said:
Is anyone elses 360 conrtoller messing up while walking? I keep getting reset to walking instead of running. Game bug or is my 360 controller analog dying?

You're not accidentally hitting the rev button while running, are you?

Top Bottom