• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

VaLiancY

I really wish I had a SIXAXIS or DS3. This bumper and trigger shit is killing me. But other then that, very fucking pretty and the charge up is excellent mechanic though I want my switching styles on the fly more.

Rev:

Left Trigger (press repeatedly)

While reved up:

Right B + Foward + Y

Right B + Back + Y

Just - REV (instant rev up)

Y (tap Left Trigger at the right time) ......

Try just-revving, it's hard, kind of like the jsut-frames in tekken, but it allows you to instantly rev up with one press after a sword strike

also,

you can charge up blue rose (press and hold X )

Gowans

OK so very first time with a DMC game and I was expecting more, but heres my initial impressions from the demo which im sure will change with more time as DMC gets so much love.

The graphics are great close up n the cut scenes but out side of that they are clean and crisp but nothing to write home about. (Lack of environmental effects etc.) Animations seem nice and smooth tho.

The camera seems clanky, confined and stiff I thought it would be freer and loose.
I wasnt expecting the old school locked doors and room mechanic at all, what a blast from the past super old school. & ended up just using the map in some places to get from A to B.

The enemys were super generic for a hack & slasher and the combat seemed pretty basic, arm grab/throw, slash sword and shoot. Sure that must open up more had fun keeping an enemy in the air with my gun tho.

The music hahah!

The time limit is bullshit, why? and the bumper will be the trigger for me when I pick this up as it was fun and havnt played good hack and slash game since Conan, and Im expecting good things from the story, will need a catch up before I play.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
HOLY SHIIIIIIIT! It's up! JP DEMO PSN!!!! PSN!

Defuser

Gowans007 said:
The enemys were super generic for a hack & slasher and the combat seemed pretty basic, arm grab/throw, slash sword and shoot. Sure that must open up more had fun keeping an enemy in the air with my gun tho.
Hack & Slasher? That's where you're wrong my friend. Just type dmc3 truestyle on youtube to see how the DMC veterans do in style!!!

btw 9%

tizer111

Can someone post whether the Japanese PSN store version has an English language option please before I go start downloading it.

Otherwise it's a 7pm Euro PSN store download for me...

Awesome. Fucking awesome. The fire boss fucked me up at first but I think Ive got it now. Nero is a badass, I love grabbing bitches then slamming them to the ground right before I land and slash bitches back to the stone age.

Hate the gun though, it doesn't feel right not having two.

Gowans

Ok so just played the snow level, starting to get a little more used to it and liking it more, like the fact it could have been a little more open and the cheese of the pre boss cut scene made me smile tho the boss did me in, close tho.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
DOwnloading 360 version now. THis will be my first DMC game since I never owned a PS2*

*Sold it after 4 weeks around the time the MGS2 demo was out.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
TIDUZ! IT'S UP ffs! Where's my hype?!

J-Rzez

Can't wait to give it a whirl. Didn't know that they took advantage of the PS3's sound capabilities! 5.1LPCM DMC here I come!

Gowans007 said:
Ok so just played the snow level, starting to get a little more used to it and liking it more, like the fact it could have been a little more open and the cheese of the pre boss cut scene made me smile tho the boss did me in, close tho.

Thats what dmc games are about arnt they the cheese hehe.

Viewt

The right bumper doesn't really bother me, but maybe that's because I didn't play DMC 1-3, so maybe I'm not acclimated to a certain feel? Either way, yeah, it felt a bit easy, but it'll probably get bumped up for the retail version.

In any case, it was fun. I'm definitely gonna pick it up next month.

Just DLed. Pretty sick. Graphics are supurb. Some great detail that doesn't come at the expense of speed. That Scorpion mechanic is nice. "Get over here!" I think I wanted to shout a few times. :D That Right bumper is a travesty though.
Not really. It works great. Just had to jump in with all the other bitchers though. Don't want to feel left out.

Gowans

City Stage a easy walkthrough with time limit - no fun (very stop & start)
Snow Stage some tough guys then a bitch hard boss - fun

tried again, no I no about the green health crystals but no where close, one more time then work :D

LowParry

dralla said:
so after playing both, looks better on
, controls better on
PS3

I dunno. My full HDMI setting may say otherwise on the PS3. Like I said. I'm sure we'll be seeing comparison vids at some point.

Pug

Maybe he's playing through full HDMI on his xbox?

CcrooK said:
I dunno. My full HDMI setting may say otherwise on the PS3. Like I said. I'm sure we'll be seeing comparison vids at some point.

VaLiancY

OH That fucking downward slash fucking gets me all the time. Back to the other mode where I can beat up on others with fret of death.

Gowans

Can anyone put together a quick and dirty guide on how to get more out of the combat for someone new to the series?

Its all seeming a little random to me (got an A in combat, no idea how, why, what?)

FFChris

Any way to change the controller setup? Although I'm sure it's not as big a deal as everyone is making it out to be.

Snah

Banned
Played both versions. Looks slightly better on the PS3 in terms of clarity and image quality, but that's probably because my PS3 is hooked up via HDMI and my 360 is hooked up via component.

Playing on the SIXAXIS is a dream, though, while the 360 version is a bit cumbersome due to the right bumper :(

Also, I like the feel of the SIXAXIS buttons over the 360 buttons. Easier to mash. Better for action games like this.

Overall, image quality is good, runs at 60 fps with no slowdown, but there's nothing genuinely mindblowing about the graphics. They're good, but they do have a hint of last-gen, so coming off a graphical orgasm like Uncharted may make DMC4 look a bit dated. Though, again, perfect image quality, no jaggies, no screen tearing, etc.

MCD

FFChris said:
Any way to change the controller setup? Although I'm sure it's not as big a deal as everyone is making it out to be.
According to C-warrior, final version will allow you to customize the buttons.

Wow. Visually amazing. Once I got the hang of the controls it was a shitload of fun. The only real problem is the camera occasionally. Other than that, absolute Day One.

FFChris

McDragon said:
According to C-warrior, final version will allow you to customize the buttons.

Lucky I'll be missing the demo and playing the final version then.

Another question: Do they still have the battle music from previous videos, and is it still the same track every time?

Dahbomb

Gowans007 said:
Can anyone put together a quick and dirty guide on how to get more out of the combat for someone new to the series?

Its all seeming a little random to me (got an A in combat, no idea how, why, what?)
So have like 3 different sword strings to do while on the ground.

You can do: /\ tap 2 times
/\, /\, pause, tap /\ until completion
/\, pause, tap /\ until completion

I recommend starting off with the 2nd combo string, then going into High Roller. That's the move which is R1+Left Analog stick Back+/\. When you do it like that, the enemy is thrown in the air. When you HOLD DOWN /\ you rise up with the enemy.

When you rise up with the enemy, that's when you have MORE options. The thing to do then is to shoot while in the air (3-4 shots) and quickly slash 3 times. The last slash will cause the enemy to go down to the floor.

As soon as he hits the floor, perform Snatch to bring him back up. Do 2 aerial slashes, finish up off with Buster (O) which will cause the enemy to smack back on the ground. While in the air follow up with a Helm Breaker (Forward+R1+/\) which will cause a vertical slice to occur and cause you to come to floor as well. The enemy will fly away, perform Snatch again to bring him back, then follow up with any other move you want.

This is BASE LEVEL combos in the game, not even including something like a jump cancel. The Exceed mechanic requires just frame timings to actually use properly in combos. As soon as I get home I will write up some better stuff you can do as soon as infer some information with the pros.

Doc Evils

dralla said:
so after playing both, looks better on
, controls better on
PS3

Oh really?

dmc4if6.jpg

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=179953

If you have both consoles, get the PS3 version.

Dahbomb said:
So have like 3 different sword strings to do while on the ground.

You can do: /\ tap 2 times
/\, /\, pause, tap /\ until completion
/\, pause, tap /\ until completion

I recommend starting off with the 2nd combo string, then going into High Roller. That's the move which is R1+Left Analog stick Back+/\. When you do it like that, the enemy is thrown in the air. When you HOLD DOWN /\ you rise up with the enemy.

When you rise up with the enemy, that's when you have MORE options. The thing to do then is to shoot while in the air (3-4 shots) and quickly slash 3 times. The last slash will cause the enemy to go down to the floor.

As soon as he hits the floor, perform Snatch to bring him back up. Do 2 aerial slashes, finish up off with Buster (O) which will cause the enemy to smack back on the ground. While in the air follow up with a Helm Breaker (Forward+R1+/\) which will cause a vertical slice to occur and cause you to come to floor as well. The enemy will fly away, perform Snatch again to bring him back, then follow up with any other move you want.

This is BASE LEVEL combos in the game, not even including something like a jump cancel. The Exceed mechanic requires just frame timings to actually use properly in combos.

What is /\?

twofold

I never honestly thought I'd say this, but I actually preferred the 360 controller to the sixaxis. I'm in shock here. While the 360 RB drove me absolutely crazy in games like Mass Effect where I had to hold it down, it seems to just work in DMC4.

Image quality wise, there's so little in it that folks that buy the game on either console will be impressed.

Question; anyone know how the load times in the demo compare to the final 360 version? I know that it uses a cache on the hard drive to speed up load times. It'd just be nice to know what they're like in the final game compared to the demo.

Top Bottom