• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Nemesis_

C- Warrior said:
The boss fights are still fun, even though it's a 2nd go. Can't wait to play them on SoS when the bosses actually get to show off many more attacks.
This is probably something I enjoy in the series - on harder difficulties you don't get the whole "OH YEAH THE ENEMIES DO MORE DAMAGE AND YOU DO LESS" mechanic, but rather you get "OMFG SINCE WHEN COULD THAT ENEMY DO THAT" mechanic.

God of War was severely disappointing for me in that aspect - there was nothing new in harder difficulties except for the fact the enemies did more damage and took less.

Gotta love DMC fucking up your pre-conceptions when entering a harder mode. :lol

Dahbomb

It's been one and a half week since DMC4 was released and STILL there is no EPIC combo video. I have the game and it seems just as combo ready as DMC3, more so even but what's up with the delay?

I think DMC3 raised the bar so high with combo videos that most people are just waiting for others to unleash a combo video before they start their own. I know that once someone debuts with it, the boards will explode. :lol

I still remember the Hell Sloth is dead DMC3 combo video and that was like 3 years ago. That shit was EPIC!!!!

The Masterpiece for those who are new to DMC.

Kweh

Any newbie guide to this 'Revving' business? I want to be able to pull it off, but don't understand fully how its done :>

Simply tap the rev. button the moment of impact from your sword.

Kind of like that guntrigger stuff in final fantasy 8.

Also, statue boss statement:

Was it just me, or am I the only who needed like half an hour to figure out how to destroy the crystal on it's back

C- Warrior said:
Simply tap the rev. button the moment of impact from your sword.

What I found easier was this. When you attack, there is a sweeping orange/red streak that emanates from your sword for a brief moment. It is during this time that you can rev.

On a side-note: Why the hell can't I map the exceed button to LB on the 360 controller? This is the only control that I want to customize, yet it is the only one that I can't change.

Victrix

*beard*
Kestastrophe said:
On a side-note: Why the hell can't I map the exceed button to LB on the 360 controller? This is the only control that I want to customize, yet it is the only one that I can't change.

I went back to play DMC3 a bit just to confirm a suspicion, and it didn't take long to make me realize I completely fucking hate playing DMC4 on a 360 pad :p

Should the inevitable DMC4:SE roll out, I suspect I'll head to the PS3 once they finally get their ass in gear and release a model with rumble. Even though the PS3 triggers are retarded, the pad as a whole is still miles better for this type of game.

On the 360 pad, the triggers, the bumpers, the hand position, the shape of the analog stick, the thickness of the buttons, all of it makes me go ugh. I noticed yesterday that I was pushing up on the dpad by PRESSING UP ON THE BOTTOM OF THE PAD. It's like a thick block of retardation.

I swear it sounds like some sort of mad IBM keyboard user when I'm comboing with revs.

And yes, to exacerbate the issue, you can't remap the damn rev command :/ Analog rev my ass, instant only plz.

And that's my pointless controller rant for the day :p

Salazar

Toonami 99 said:
How the hell was that guy locking on, charging his shots, meleeing, and hitting the revs.
Thats insane all at once.

Yes. I'm ok with being made to feel inadequate by the occasional internet video, but I don't normally expect youtubed gameplay to break my ego.

Defuser

I can't say this enough but the Blue Rose's charged shot is the third best thing of Nero's gameplay, I practically can't play without it,saved my ass a few times on SoS.

Why is it awesome sauce?

1)Because it's powerful.
2)Keeps enemies away from you.
3) You can spam another charged shot immediately after a charged shot has been shot(spam shot fest!!!)
3)Level 2 & 3 is awesome.
4)Combos with it is very sickening.

Gowans

thankgod for that!!!!

mission 7 over, managed to fluke my first SS & SSS ranks by some weird combo on the boss.

HAND CRAMP! :D

jett

D-Member
what the FUCK. I just thought I'd check out the videos he has, and dear fucking god, he's insane. He's pulling shit I don't even know about, that I can't even fathom.

DMD Mission 2 part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilFwP2g8Vu4

DMD Mission 2 part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDoaP8sybbo

So...you don't need to do S-style combos to kill enemies in DMD? And how did that guy already get nearly 1 million red orbs? WTF? The game just came out. Crazy fuckers. :lol

Also, Nero is FUCKING AWESOME and the new hotness.

Dave1988

jett said:
So...you don't need to do S-style combos to kill enemies in DMD?

Also, Nero is FUCKING AWESOME and the new hotness.

It's funny that the enemies explode if you taunt them while having a S or higher rank :lol

Defuser

Gowans007 said:
god the mission 8? boss is like a brick wall.

Any tips guys?
Credo eh?

Try to get behind him or when he finish his attacks and use High roller => Aerial Rave,streak,DT attacks. When he throwing javelins,just dodge it while charging up your Blue Rose or get near him as he's vulnerable when throwing. When he starts doing his attacks,try to air hike/jump as he tends to have a aggro attack at the end of his attacks.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy

Gowans

Defuser said:
Credo eh?

Try to get behind him or when he finish his attacks and use High roller => Aerial Rave,streak,DT attacks. When he throwing javelins,just dodge it while charging up your Blue Rose or get near him as he's vulnerable when throwing. When he starts doing his attacks,try to air hike/jump as he tends to have a aggro attack at the end of his attacks.

thanks man got him, plus I used my items for the first time, makes a difference ;)

I3rand0

Do orbs gained in Secret Missions count for your rank at the end of a regular mission? I've been trying to S Rank Mission 2 and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. S time, A Style, and A orbs, still cant get it.

Kyoufu

I3rand0 said:
Do orbs gained in Secret Missions count for your rank at the end of a regular mission? I've been trying to S Rank Mission 2 and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. S time, A Style, and A orbs, still cant get it.

If you get S time and S style that will suffice for an S rank (I got 90% orbs too).

I was surprised at the S because Berial hit me once and I didn't get all the orbs....

burgerdog

If you beat stage 20 in bloody palace do you get a checkpoint? Also how the hell could you guys even tell that she doesn't have panties? I noticed in some cinemas that it looked like she didn't, but I figured that she must lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I actually think going from Nero -> Dante is one of the most amazing character switches ever.

Nero is like a safe, comfortable play. If you don't rev, you can be in total control at all times even if you are only average. The devil bringer can take care of positioning for you, and buster always can offer a bit of security in 1v1 battles.

Dante is like going commando. You are out there, man. Tons of freedom though.

I actually experimented with switching between gunslinger and sword master last night just to see what I could work on and then I threw in a gilgamesh combo at the end.

omg dmc4 bow

Firewire

Banned
Finally tonight I'll be able to get back to DMC4!

Anything & everything has been preventing me from getting play time. Damn snow storms, girlfriend tirades, and even my car breaking down. I can't believe I'm only on mission 3.
Tonight its just me, the big screen, pizza, beer & weeping demons at the end of my sword.

Sanjuro

I haven't gotten far in the game. One of those deals where I have beaten the first 5 missions multiple times for some odd reason. On the plus side its good to finally have a game which feels much better on the PS3 than on the 360 for once to boost my game library up to one game. I've played the game for about the same amount of time on both. Visually I cannot tell them apart but I do enjoy the quicker load time going through the doors.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Darkpen said:
what the FUCK. I just thought I'd check out the videos he has, and dear fucking god, he's insane. He's pulling shit I don't even know about, that I can't even fathom.

DMD Mission 2 part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilFwP2g8Vu4

DMD Mission 2 part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDoaP8sybbo

What... what did I just witness here? Total fucking mastery is my guess. I have so many questions... I wish there was a play-by-play for both videos detailing what was going on, but I'll ask a hopefully more easy question:

How in the blue fuck did he kill Berial so fast?!

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Dave1988 said:
It's funny that the enemies explode if you taunt them while having a S or higher rank :lol

Actually they don't. If you charge Nero's shot up to level 3, he'll shoot them, and then an explosion goes off a good 3 - 4 seconds later.

Fuck this Sanctus boss battle is annoying. I had him down to his last sliver of health before he pulled out that crazy sword attack.

Dahbomb

HOLY CRAP I JUST BEAT CREDO WITH THE DEVIL TRIGGERED BUSTER!!!!!

Nero pummels him on the floor then tosses him up and comes down on him with a Vergil samurai stab to the chest! EPIC STUFF!!!!

Oh and you can toss his lance right back at him with the Devil Bringer but it can be a bit tricky to do as you need precise timing (his lance comes pretty fast).

Edit: I just saw the Credo boss fight in DMD mode video!!!!

He gets Phantom Sword like abilities plus it appears that you can break his shield guard with a LV3 Demon Charged shot. This will be very helpful when I get to DMD mode.

burgerdog

Here's an odd thing, what's Bael's weakness? I've beaten him multiple times, but I just can't figure it out. I just chip away until he dies and have only gotten buster on him once, not even sure how ;/

Dahbomb

burgerdog said:
Here's an odd thing, what's Bael's weakness? I've beaten him multiple times, but I just can't figure it out. I just chip away until he dies and have only gotten buster on him once, not even sure how ;/
His weakness is pure skill, just like it is with all DMC bosses. Oh and Devil Triggering while Bustering helps. :D

ezekial45

Banned
Has anyone found an easy way to kill Blitz? I know you have to use gunfire, but that takes SOOO long. He usually self-destructs by then.

EDIT: BTW, has anyone managed to pull off the instant kill move on the group of armored knights? I think it has to be done when they're charging that energy blast attack.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/26664.html

At 1:16

Narag

ezekial45 said:
Has anyone found an easy way to kill Blitz? I know you have to use gunfire, but that takes SOOO long. He usually self-destructs by then.

With Dante the shield drops pretty fast with shotgun damage. I don't have the shotgun charged shot purchased so I assume it goes down even faster which lets you murder it or at least get it close enough to death.

With Nero, I just cry.

ezekial45 said:
EDIT: BTW, has anyone managed to pull off the instant kill move on the group of armored knights? I think it has to be done when they're charging that energy blast attack.

Charged shot rebounds the energy ball and gives you an instant SSS.

Dahbomb said:
HOLY CRAP I JUST BEAT CREDO WITH THE DEVIL TRIGGERED BUSTER!!!!!

Nero pummels him on the floor then tosses him up and comes down on him with a Vergil samurai stab to the chest! EPIC STUFF!!!!

Oh and you can toss his lance right back at him with the Devil Bringer but it can be a bit tricky to do as you need precise timing (his lance comes pretty fast).

Edit: I just saw the Credo boss fight in DMD mode video!!!!

He gets Phantom Sword like abilities plus it appears that you can break his shield guard with a LV3 Demon Charged shot. This will be very helpful when I get to DMD mode.

Is there a video of the lance grab? i was trying to do it but i cant get the timing down. Do you buster it or grim grip it then buster like the swords vs the amazing stutterer?

Dahbomb

Narag said:
With Dante the shield drops pretty fast with shotgun damage. I don't have the shotgun charged shot purchased so I assume it goes down even faster which lets you murder it or at least get it close enough to death.

With Nero, I just cry.
Upgrade Nero's charged shot to Lv.3 until it turns red. When it turns red that's when you can perform the shot and it breaks guard. Using that on Blitz is very useful. After that you can perform Buster which initiate an hand to hand combo with it being launched in the air.

Dahbomb

pancakesandsex said:
Is there a video of the lance grab? i was trying to do it but i cant get the timing down. Do you buster it or grim grip it then buster like the swords vs the amazing stutterer?
Credo on DMD mode

The player intercepts and tosses the lance back at him. The timing is pretty difficult but doable.

Narag

Dahbomb said:
Upgrade Nero's charged shot to Lv.3 until it turns red. When it turns red that's when you can perform the shot and it breaks guard. Using that on Blitz is very useful. After that you can perform Buster which initiate an hand to hand combo with it being launched in the air.

Thanks so much. Some of the blitz fights become really cramped later on and I ended up limping through those. This should help a ton.

hteng

Banned
lol i just beat bloody palace, its pretty epic, especially stage 99, you have to fight an endless horde of knights, pretty fucking annoying. Then 100 you fight agnus, 101 you fight
dante
. From my experience it seems the bloody palace's bosses are from SoS. Here's my record, i don't how the fuck do the Japanese get 470k+ points, i'm already happy that i beat the stage lol.

DSC00227.jpg

Tips:
I used nero to beat it

Learn to use Charge shoot level 3, this move is a life saver and you will treasure it, i don't care how you use it but make it possible that you could charge it while attacking (make it to a trigger button).
Level 3 Charge shoot can knock back just about anything, after a while it will explode on the target, if the target just so happens to be in the middle of a group, it will own everything in it's blast radius, interrupting enemy attacks. It can go through anything, even those cloak demons, bosses, the explosion takes a good chunk of damage, use it frequently when you are retreating from a boss attack.

For the most part i just do simple 3 hit combos, jump up do a helm breaker, rev it, the use a EX streak to knock out anything that comes near then proceed to pick enemies one by one. the charge shoot is there to knock back any unwanted enemies (especially from behind, fucking frosts). You don't need any fancy combos unless you are going for the online rankings, the key here is to survive as long as possible.

PS: There are no rewards for beating bloody palace lol, you get to unlock achievements King of the palace, lame

ezekial45

Banned
Narag said:

With Nero, I just cry.

Charged shot rebounds the energy ball and gives you an instant SSS.

Thanks. Also, i've heard people stop moving and firing when he's around. Since he attacks based on sound, if he doesn't "hear" anything he'll let his guard down. Has anyone else tried this?

Mrbob

I think the Nero combat system is finally starting to click with me. I have to admit I was more just mashing combos together incoherrently in the past. I knew the combos but wasn't chaining them well. Mission 7 in Devil Hunter was the first time I could really remember what I wanted to do and when I wanted to do it. S ranked the mission with 52000 points. Ahead of Defuser at 44000 and Bebpo at 40000! ;)

Firewire

Banned

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Darkpen said:
sitting on "the catch"?

what difficulty did you beat it on? For
devil hunter, it says "so you aren't just some casual gamer" or something to that extent, at which I lol'd

o_O wait, what? What's RG, and is there somethng I don't know about the gunslinger style move for pandora? How do I shoot multiple missiles at once, like in the cutscene (or can you only shoot one or two at a time?)

Oh my bad i meant
to say sitting on the couch. i was a bitch and beat it on human. am playing devil hunter now. but it has dante and nero sitting on a couch and says something prequel its a long sentence at the bottom of the screen for a second.

maskrider

Not a Jellyfish said:
Oh my bad i meant
to say sitting on the couch. i was a bitch and beat it on human. am playing devil hunter now. but it has dante and nero sitting on a couch and says something prequel its a long sentence at the bottom of the screen for a second.

I posted pictures of them before.

On Human
"Prequel doesn't mean you can be a newbie."

On Devil Hunter
"Guess you aren't some casual gamer."

Dave1988

maskrider said:
I posted pictures of them before.

On Human
"Prequel doesn't mean you can be a newbie."

On Devil Hunter
"Guess you aren't some casual gamer."

It's kinda cheap that they're using the completion quotes from DMC3 instead of new ones.

Top Bottom