• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Just completed Dante's first mission. So far I'm disliking Dante. I've gotten used to the devil arm and Nero's somewhat distinct attacks (how cool is that slash, pause, slash, slash, slash attack where he just slams that sword so hard?). Dante feels sluggish and less aggressive. Style swapping isn't as great as I thought it would be either. I guess the alternate weapons and added abilities will spice things up later, but right now, I actually wouldn't mind a sequel featuring Nero exclusively. His devil arm is a great addition and a fine combat tool.

Dahbomb

WHAT THE FLYING FUCK AT ALL THESE PUZZLES!!!!!!!1111

This is exactly why I DO NOT PLAY STUPID ZELDA/JRPG GAMES!!!! I just want to use the COMBAT ENGINE and not solve puzzles or go through some platforming tidbits to get to the next fight!

Thank god for Bloody Palace though. I am going to look at FAQs for this game for the puzzles. Stupid, stupid shit...

The game is excellent by the way... :lol

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
MiamiWesker said:
Just beat the game, a love the game just not sure how much compared to the other two DMC games. The action is top notch, level design is a step up from 3 but the backtracking issues and repeated bosses hurt it a lot. Gameplay wise, its as good as any action game, even DMC3, you get two different playable characters and each could hold their own, how many games can do that. I don't understand reviews that give this game under a 9, I would like to see what action games they are playing that are so much better than this one, cause for me this list is very tiny.

I think you just answered your own question. Backtracking, repeat bosses and cruddy puzzles. No one in reviews disputes the action, but the other stuff brings it down. Storyline, music, etc being subjective of course.

Darkpen

Banned
slade said:
OMG, that's awesome. I always loved these little exploits like in DMC3 with the elevator and you could wall run up to get rid of the enemies.
huh? the elevator with a secret mission behind it? What are you talking about?

alba

Little is the new Big
just finished it and i freaking loved it (love the boobs physics too, haha :D)
anyways, gotta get all the blue orbs now and finish DH mode and SoS! gogo

Toonami 99 said:
dude your trying too hard, heres what you do
1.select Pandora's box
2.jump high
3.transform the box to that flying gun
4.completely pass all the lazers
5.profit
link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myOtFdm7Ymk

hahah, awesome shit

Darkpen

Banned
Dahbomb said:
WHAT THE FLYING FUCK AT ALL THESE PUZZLES!!!!!!!1111

This is exactly why I DO NOT PLAY STUPID ZELDA/JRPG GAMES!!!! I just want to use the COMBAT ENGINE and not solve puzzles or go through some platforming tidbits to get to the next fight!

Thank god for Bloody Palace though. I am going to look at FAQs for this game for the puzzles. Stupid, stupid shit...

The game is excellent by the way... :lol
Considering that most of the guides on gamefaqs are limited, I found myself using this (especially when I gave up and decided to go to gamefaqs to begin with XD)

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6185546/index.html

And just for the record, Zelda puzzles are really intuitive and usually easy to figure out.

Zzoram

In many youtube videos, you can see a stylish points counter below the grade bar. I usually don't see this, is it an option I have to turn on?

slade

Darkpen said:
huh? the elevator with a secret mission behind it? What are you talking about?

I was talking about DMC3. There were similar exploits for that game's secret missions. Specifically, the one with the elevator.

KGKK

Banned
Vyse The Legend said:
There are none, only Super Dante and Nero, which look exactly the same as the normal model.

That sucks. Looks like I will be buying the SE edition if released. I hope they release it at least and not put the stuff as DLC only since I don't have a CC and the PSN network cards seem like they will never be out.

Bebpo

Banned
Darkpen said:
what the FUCK. I just thought I'd check out the videos he has, and dear fucking god, he's insane. He's pulling shit I don't even know about, that I can't even fathom.

DMD Mission 2 part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilFwP2g8Vu4

DMD Mission 2 part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDoaP8sybbo

Berial fight = HOLY SHIT. I want to be this man.

Also, it's cool seeing an actual use for Nero's DT super attacks. I thought they were both useless because of their charge time.

Dahbomb

Bebpo said:
Berial fight = HOLY SHIT. I want to be this man.

Also, it's cool seeing an actual use for Nero's DT super attacks. I thought they were both useless because of their charge time.
This is DMC, nothing is generally useless in the game. If it's in the game, there is a reason for its inclusion. Aside from maybe the dropkick move, I think that's just vanilla.

Zzoram said:
In many youtube videos, you can see a stylish points counter below the grade bar. I usually don't see this, is it an option I have to turn on?
Yes, I think you have to select yes when you are asked if you want to upload the run online as part of the leaderboard system.

dear lord that guy is SICK!
I have to ask whats the best way to charge the gun while meleeing? I have default controls so the thumb commands the gun and sword.

Bebpo

Banned
Dahbomb said:
This is DMC, nothing is generally useless in the game. If it's in the game, there is a reason for its inclusion. Aside from maybe the dropkick move, I think that's just vanilla.

True, but the charge time on the 2 Yamato moves you can buy for Nero is ridiculous. You can't pull them out unless there's no way the enemy will attack you for like 5 seconds. I see in that video there's a use for the slash in long range attacks, but I still don't see anytime when the other attack that's just a single close up sword slash after a 5 sec charge can work. Especially on DMD.

Darkpen

Banned
Toonami 99 said:
I have to ask whats the best way to charge the gun while meleeing? I have default controls so the thumb commands the gun and sword.
I swear, either these people have customized their control inputs, or they're using automatic.

I did NOT know you could use Aegis grab AND do the forward R1 slash o_O

Dahbomb

Toonami 99 said:
Change gun to L1, Devil Trigger to []. You can charge while meleeing. I did the same for Vergil in DMC3Se and his Summoned Swords. You don't even need to fire the gun in rapid successions, it's best when used in charged form.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Just Beat the game

First off...FUCK I did'nt know was suppose to protect
Kyrie at the end credits

and Nero does'nt
use Yamoto in gameplay
? thats BS, its all over the cuts scenes. Even Dante's use of it is half ass.

In fact, nero and Dante kinda feels a bit under developed gameplay wise. I feel like Dante is playing in Nero's game and Nero is interupted by Dante's presence.

I think Capcom should've made DMC4 TWO separate campaigns for each. Though i ejoyed Dante quite a bit, it felt like a stranger in the levels, plus he's getting weapons really fast but no real sense of upgrating em, where the fuck they came from storywise. And WTF the Order DID"NT MAKE ANY OTHER WEAPONS with rev?? c'mon now. And the puzzle and backtracking...annoying.

anyways, possibly the best art in the series right here, ABSOLUTLY love the boss Fights, specially Dante, Credo, Berial, Agnus. But I HHHHHHATED Sanctus(that old guy). Great cut scenes, speciallly the fight choreography. The Combat system is Solid, fun classic DMC, No complains there. the Difficulty is fairly tough, not DMC3 but more of a DMC1.

so as it stands for me: DMC3>DMC>DMC4>DMC2

Darkpen

Banned
~Devil Trigger~ said:
Just Beat the game

First off...FUCK I did'nt know was suppose to protect
Kyrie at the end credits

and Nero does'nt
use Yamoto in gameplay
? thats BS, its all over the cuts scenes. Even Dante's use of it is half ass.

In fact, nero and Dante kinda feels a bit under developed gameplay wise. I feel like Dante is playing in Nero's game and Nero is interupted by Dante's presence.

I think Capcom should've made DMC4 TWO separate campaigns for each. Though i ejoyed Dante quite a bit, it felt like a stranger in the levels, plus he's getting weapons really fast but no real sense of upgrating em, where the fuck they came from storywise. And WTF the Order DID"NT MAKE ANY OTHER WEAPONS with rev?? c'mon now. And the puzzle and backtracking...annoying.

anyways, possibly the best art in the series right here, ABSOLUTLY love the boss Fights, specially Dante, Credo, Berial, Agnus. But I HHHHHHATED Sanctus(that old guy). Great cut scenes, speciallly the fight choreography. The Combat system is Solid, fun classic DMC, No complains there. the Difficulty is fairly tough, not DMC3 but more of a DMC1.

so as it stands for me: DMC3>DMC>DMC4>DMC2
In the official game canon, the order feels that the sword is the only honorable weapon to use against demons, and Nero is the only exception to that rule, allowing him to use his custom-made blue rose.

Nemesis_

I feel like Ive finished the game and the Dante sections are just like playing as Ada Wong in RE4's Separate Ways. The bosses and environments are somewhat the same, and it feels like the threw him in.

That being said, I love Dante more than Nero still - Pandora and Lucifer are great weapons that are just a blast to use =P

Darkpen

Banned
C- Warrior said:
What the fuck?!?!

I am so glad I'm playing the 360 version so I don't have to compete with fuckers like that. GOD-DAMN.
you have NO idea. The PS3 version's international leaderboards are literally TOPPED with nothing but japanese flags.

Everywhere. Red circles.

Usually, there's at least one or two other people in the top-ten, but good god, its Japanese everywhere. Its not funny.

Nemesis556 said:
I feel like Ive finished the game and the Dante sections are just like playing as Ada Wong in RE4's Separate Ways. The bosses and environments are somewhat the same, and it feels like the threw him in.

That being said, I love Dante more than Nero still - Pandora and Lucifer are great weapons that are just a blast to use =P

The boss fights are still fun, even though it's a 2nd go. Can't wait to play them on SoS when the bosses actually get to show off many more attacks.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Here's a question: how exactly DOES automatic mode effect the gameplay?

All it seems to say is taht it makes combos easier, but how?

Lightning

Banned
Darkpen said:
you have NO idea. The PS3 version's international leaderboards are literally TOPPED with nothing but japanese flags.

Everywhere. Red circles.

Usually, there's at least one or two other people in the top-ten, but good god, its Japanese everywhere. Its not funny.
Actually it is funny. The Japan bashing that they are abandoning hardcore gaming yet in the leaderboards they are kicking our ass. :lol

omg rite said:
Here's a question: how exactly DOES automatic mode effect the gameplay?

All it seems to say is taht it makes combos easier, but how?

If you have experience with DMC or any other relatively significant action game, just stick to automatic off.

You have more control.

LordK

Darkpen said:

Everywhere. Red circles.

I see their scores. Then I look at mine. I cry. :(

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Tokubetsu said:
Last time i looked at the overall leader boards on 360, Japan was still kicking everyone's ass.

You should see the PS3 leaderboards...

I'm playing this on 360. I found the RB to be awkward for lock-on and had to change it to RT, keeping my index finger on RB is so uncomfortable. When I hold the 360 controller, my index fingers naturally go onto the triggers.

Defuser

DIrtyWeasel said:
I'm playing this on 360. I found the RB to be awkward for lock-on and had to change it to RT, keeping my index finger on RB is so uncomfortable. When I hold the 360 controller, my index fingers naturally go onto the triggers.
which is why majority are picking up the ps3 version because the controller is perfect for DMC.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Defuser said:
which is why majority are picking up the ps3 version...

Uh.. The majority? Don't think so.

Anyway, I have it on 360 myself and I love it. Yeah, the RT is awkward, but all you have to do is set it to RB and the game controls perfectly.

Other than the default lock on, it controls just as well to the PS2 games.

VaLiancY

I envy those with the SIXAXIS and DualShock 3. I took a trip down memory lane and played DMC1. I wept and cried on the floor with my PS2 controller in my hands. Wondering why didn't I buy a PS3 for this game when I had the money for to buy a guitar. I'm not trying to open a can of worms but its just me when I talk about problems with the control. I dislike the triggers with a passion and the face buttons compared to the DS3.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
omg rite said:
Uh.. The majority? Don't think so.

Anyway, I have it on 360 myself and I love it. Yeah, the RT is awkward, but all you have to do is set it to RB and the game controls perfectly.

Other than the default lock on, it controls just as well to the PS2 games.

My game had RB as the default for lock-on. A friend of mine switched it to the trigger, but I prefer the bumper personally. I really don't see PS3 users (or 360 users for that matter) can claim that their console of choice's controller was "made for DMC", but I guess that's just more fanboy hyperbole. I've played the demo of the game on the PS3 and I didn't notice the controls to be any better or worse. I actually prefer the sticks on the Xbox 360 controller better, but it all comes down to personal preference.

Lince

Banned
I'm beginning to hate the little bits of slowdown the PS3 version has during combat (when you hit rev. attacks and such), it's sort of distracting, gorgeous game though.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Zefah said:
My game had RB as the default for lock-on. A friend of mine switched it to the trigger, but I prefer the bumper personally. I really don't see PS3 users (or 360 users for that matter) can claim that their console of choice's controller was "made for DMC", but I guess that's just more fanboy hyperbole. I've played the demo of the game on the PS3 and I didn't notice the controls to be any better or worse. I actually prefer the sticks on the Xbox 360 controller better, but it all comes down to personal preference.

That was actually me being a dumbass at 5 AM. I meant to say RB as the default, like all of them. lol

Dahbomb

what the FUCK. I just thought I'd check out the videos he has, and dear fucking god, he's insane. He's pulling shit I don't even know about, that I can't even fathom.

DMD Mission 2 part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilFwP2g8Vu4

DMD Mission 2 part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDoaP8sybbo
:lol :lol :lol

This guy beats Berial in less than 30 SECONDS on DMD, which Bebpo supposedly couldn't beat in 30 tries.

I say again.... 30 FUCKING SECONDS! :lol

The skill is top material but it can still go higher. He didn't use much rebounds and his Perfect IR game was lacking. But it was a marvel to watch.

And does anyone know how the DT system works in DMC4 for enemies? I think they removed the stupid "you kill 2 enemies, everyone else DTs" from DMC3. They have gone with the DMC1 style of DTing... timer based.

Gowans

theres a part early on in Misson 7 that is PURE BULLSHIT

I must have dropped, faught and got back up 20 times now, eventually died started again same BOLLOCKS TO THIS!!!!

GAHHH!

off to chill and make some pankcakes, than maybe Ill contiune

/spits out dummy

Top Bottom