• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Mrbob

C- Warrior said:
Now this time, try to listen to me.

Since you beat the game on human (I don't know why, considering you're extensive experience with action games and devil may cry...) start your new game on Son of Sparda. Not Devil Hunter.

Devil Hunter will likely be easier than Human since you'll have your beefed up characters as you go through it.

I can't.

It doesn't unlock Bloody Palace or Son of Sparda until I beat it on Devil Hunter. So now I'm running through on Devil Hunter.

As for DMC, well, I've finished DMC3 SE once, but it isn't like I played it extensively. I'll probably end up playing DMC4 more. I like using Nero for battles.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
I've been doing alot of reading and it seems that the game is loved pretty much everywhere,

Except on the IGN boards where you'd think people are talking about DMC2. That's just strange.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This is really weird. My subtitles just disappeared and I can't figure out how to turn them back on.

They suddenly vanished at the end of mission 10 and even when I replay old scenes in the theatre mode they will not show up anymore. I tried turning the Subtitles option on and off in the options screen, but no matter what I do I can't seem to get my subtitles back. This is really annoying.

Has anyone else experienced such a problem?

Darkpen

Banned
VeritasVierge said:
What does Gloria have against underwear?

Otherwise, the game's an improvement over 3 so far.
what does she NOT have against underwear, amirite guyz? :D

ALL HAIL GLORIA :lol :lol

Mrbob said:
I can't.

It doesn't unlock Bloody Palace or Son of Sparda until I beat it on Devil Hunter. So now I'm running through on Devil Hunter.

As for DMC, well, I've finished DMC3 SE once, but it isn't like I played it extensively. I'll probably end up playing DMC4 more. I like using Nero for battles.

Oh that sucks.

Human mode is stupidly easy as is -- and because people will have a beefed up character devil hunter no longer posses a thread either.

Damn shame since all those who clear human will have to invest at least 2 playthroughs until they get something worthwhile in terms of opposition.

Anyway, you should climb the friend-leaderboards quick considering you know what to do.

MechaX

Pedobear said:
I've been doing alot of reading and it seems that the game is loved pretty much everywhere,

Except on the IGN boards where you'd think people are talking about DMC2. That's just strange.

You'll find that the IGN board's irrational dislike of DMC4 begins and ends at Vergil.

Pedobear said:

Ugh. The DMC IGN board is fuckin retarded.

They remind me of all the RE fans that hated on RE4 for doing the right things in terms of appealing to a wide audience.

Thats what DMC4 does.

They want their Vergil, or Dante 100%, and because they can't get it it's pissing them off.

Zzoram

Man, DH is not as easy as you guys claim :lol

I just died 10 times in a row at the Mission 8 boss
Credo
. I think I'm going to just play through the game on Human to beef up my guy before I try DH again.

TheCardPlayer

C- Warrior said:
They remind me of all the RE fans that hated on RE4 for doing the right things in terms of appealing to a wide audience.
RE4 is my favorite game ever. I think it's perfect so even someone with rational reasons of hating wouldn't make sense for me. :lol

TheCardPlayer

Zzoram said:
Man, DH is not as easy as you guys claim :lol

I just died 10 times in a row at the Mission 8 boss
Credo
. I think I'm going to just play through the game on Human to beef up my guy before I try DH again.
Use the buster. I killed him with just that.

TheCardPlayer

Zzoram said:
I don't understand? How does that work? I tried it a few times but he blocked me or something so I stopped trying it.
Just walk toward him, try to use Buster. It won't work. Jump over his combo and Buster him from the back. He'll hug the sides of the arena and summon some spears but you can do that over and over until he's toast.

C- Warrior said:
The one good thing about the Proud Soul system is that you can free up your red orbs.

What are you spending them on?

Get some blue/purple orbs.

Like a dummy I buy the healths. I should of been buying blue and purple orbs.

I'll go back and play the previous missions now that I've beaten Dante and upgrade Nero.

Zzoram said:
I don't understand? How does that work? I tried it a few times but he blocked me or something so I stopped trying it.

Do this:
Charge your ex to three lamps
As he walks towards you, hit him with your devil bringer. He will then try to ram you. Doge by jumping over him.
With his back to you, you can send him up in the air with a shuffle then hit him twice in mid air, then end it with a buster.

Repeat this until his shield goes away. From there you can initiate DT and bring fire and brimestone down on his ass.
Repeat until he's dead

Narag

Zzoram said:
If everything goes up in cost exponentially, does that mean we should save all our consumable items for the highest difficulty?

They all have max caps. Devil Star S caps out at 5k. Its really up to you whether or not to use the items.

Zzoram

Narag said:
They all have max caps. Devil Star S caps out at 5k. Its really up to you whether or not to use the items.

Oh ok, good. I could've probably beat mission 8 on DH with items, but I decided against it. I might as well just play through Human and improve my timing/combos first.

Just got the game and am starting to sink my teeth into it. Quick question:

Can I save in the middle of a mission and start from the last checkpoint? I hate being forced to complete missions before I can save.

Bebpo

Banned
Narag said:

Yeah. Vital Star L-size has caps out at 20k! Woohoo!

Now that I've bought everything blue/purple I'm stockpiling L-size stars for if I want to eventually finish DMD. Not for the bosses, but more because in DMD you can die EVERY ROOM and I'd rather use a star then have to go back 15 mins and redo all those fights I barely survived over again.

Zzoram

striKeVillain! said:
Just got the game and am starting to sink my teeth into it. Quick question:

Can I save in the middle of a mission and start from the last checkpoint? I hate being forced to complete missions before I can save.

From my experience you have to do full missions at a time. Saving mid-mission only saves any items/Red Orbs you've collected during the level.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Super_Chicken said:
Can you guys elaborate on the PS3 accomplishments? How to get them, view them, can they be linked with home... etc.

Thanks! Pics are good too :D

To check accomplishments, from the Mission Menu go to: Library -> My History.

You gain them in the same way as acheivements on 360. You get them only at the END of missions.

Just beat the game, a love the game just not sure how much compared to the other two DMC games. The action is top notch, level design is a step up from 3 but the backtracking issues and repeated bosses hurt it a lot. Gameplay wise, its as good as any action game, even DMC3, you get two different playable characters and each could hold their own, how many games can do that. I don't understand reviews that give this game under a 9, I would like to see what action games they are playing that are so much better than this one, cause for me this list is very tiny.

Final boss was a disappointment though. It sucked that
it was just a rematch with an old boss. Yes I know Vergil is basically a rematch too but his final battle was very different and he is way better all around
. That last thing they make you do is stupid, not sure why they put that there.

Can anyone here that said the story was a mess please explain whats so wrong with it. Once again gaf overreacts to a story (REUC being the other recent example) for no reason.

Bloody palace is so awesome, I have gotten to stage 20 with both Dante and Nero. At first I did much better with Nero until I reached the electricity guy and he destoryed me. The second time I did great with Dante but was too damaged to fight Berial. I am going to have a lot of fun with this mode.

Started SoS mode and gotten S rank in the first two levels so far, so far its pretty easy.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Shit... haven't had the time to post anything since I got DMC4. Really, I can't even express how much I like it, now right now at least. Anyway, I couldn't play much the first two days but I finished four times today. Devil Hunter, then Human, then SoS and finally Heaven or Hell (took me less than 1 ½ hours :lol )

Ah well, good night :)

Darkpen said:
can't take a joke, huh

but yeah, no, pantiless gloria = wtf = that's awesome, capcom :lol

I got the joke. You just weren't funny.

I just end up laughing at her character when she shows up since her design is so ridiculous. I almost wondered if this was an Itagaki game for a sec. Something I was expecting for Dante after his corny one liners in 3.

wow, I just was just doing the
Credo
boss battle and died when the enemies lifebar wasnt even there anymore. I literally crawled over to my screen to make sure it wasnt even a pixel, it was totally empty, less than pixel and it bested me...that fucker.

Darkpen

Banned
VeritasVierge said:
I got the joke. You just weren't funny.

I just end up laughing at her character when she shows up since her design is so ridiculous. I almost wondered if this was an Itagaki game for a sec. Something I was expecting for Dante after his corny one liners in 3.
it wasn't even a ha-ha joke :|

whatever, man. Videogame girls: Serious Business.

RyuHayate

Just got to Dante's half of the game! :D

I would've been there sooner, but DMC4 seriously has the worst puzzles (coupled with a ridiculous amount of backtracking) of all the games in the series. My completion time per mission is doubled because I have no idea where the hell I'm going half the time.

Defuser

Darkpen said:
can someone tell me HOW one can possibly raise their style meter using grabs, without attacking?
Aegis shield ability is useful,

1)Grab enemy
2)Hold enemy
3)Victim takes damage,you don't
4)Taunt to raise meter after that
5)????
6)Profit!!!

AppleMIX

RyuHayate said:
Just got to Dante's half of the game! :D

I would've been there sooner, but DMC4 seriously has the worst puzzles (coupled with a ridiculous amount of backtracking) of all the games in the series. My completion time per mission is doubled because I have no idea where the hell I'm going half the time.

No kidding...

God that stuff is awful.

I got to
mission 13
as
Dante

Who in there right mind decides that in order to solve a puzzle, you need to go east, then west, then south, and south again. Why would I need to go east and then turn around to solve the puzzle. That is just damn annoying.

Lightning

Banned
Secret mission 12
is fucking pissing me off....

g35twinturbo said:
wtf!

The stuttering guy battle is fucking retarded, stupid ass design.
Yes, that whole mission sucks. The
Cutlass
creatures just before that are the worst enemy in DMC history and DMC games have had a few shitty ones.

KGKK

Banned
Lightning said:
Dante needing to get through the lazers untouched without the time device.

I gave up on that one. Will tackle it later on. Just beat the game. Overall 9/10 for me.
Story was a letdown as no explanation for who Nero really is and why only his arm has power, no Vergil(like wtf Capcom!!) and Dante is just as awesome as always.
Overall I liked it better than DMC1 but less than DMC3. I loved all the different weapons and moves in DMC3, the overtop young Dante cheeseness and of course, VERGIL!!!

Top Bottom