• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Zzoram

Zophar said:
Dude, human mode is so fucking cake. By the time you need to actually go back and get the achievements you missed on human mode, you're a supergod and you can clear pretty much every stage with your eyes closed. It's a great opportunity to farm up some items, orbs and proud souls too.

Human is slightly to easy, but DH is slightly too hard for me.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
I finished DMC 1 2 and 3, i beginned with Human mode but im not ashamed, im a guy who likes to unlock EVERYTHING in a game, altho im sure i cant beat hell or hell mode :lol

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
I am going to be a little late on getting this game, /money dont get paid till this Friday but hell I will be getting it. PStriple on this game forsure from what I have hears I am going to be pleased since I love DMC3 hell I even loved the difficulty from it! :D

I3rand0 said:
Do orbs gained in Secret Missions count for your rank at the end of a regular mission? I've been trying to S Rank Mission 2 and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. S time, A Style, and A orbs, still cant get it.

You know that area in Mission 2 with the red orb glob that you smack at -- it's a red orb bank, further past that -- by the dumbster is a tower -- at the very top of the tower, there are two ledges. The lower one has hidden red orbs, and the one above that does as well.

that'll help you get an S for red orb count on M2.

Narag

C- Warrior said:
You know that area in Mission 2 with the red orb glob that you smack at -- it's a red orb bank, further past that -- by the dumbster is a tower -- at the very top of the tower, there are two ledges. The lower one has hidden red orbs, and the one above that does as well.

that'll help you get an S for red orb count on M2.

Yeah, I couldn't get the S for that level unti I figured that out.

_leech_ said:
The forest, yea. I don't know, we'll see.

The reason for that is because there's been a good few hours without a boss fight.

The next 4 missions has 4 bosses which are all fun and intense.

Xater

After playing through the game two tiems now I tried the "Automatic mode" just for fun. My god this sucks, you can petty much get an S-SSS ranking in every fight it's just way too easy. Now here is my question how do we know the top ranked players didn't play in automatic? Or are they not included, because thatÄs seriously just like cheating.

Xater said:
After playing through the game two tiems now I tried the "Automatic mode" just for fun. My god this sucks, you can petty much get an S-SSS ranking in every fight it's just way too easy. Now here is my question how do we know the top ranked players didn't play in automatic? Or are they not included, because thatÄs seriously just like cheating.

Doesn't 'automatic' just automatically hold R1 for you?

Xater

Valkyr Junkie said:
Doesn't 'automatic' just automatically hold R1 for you?

No you pretty much just press attakc and you do combos and insta rev without doing anything yourself. You don't even have to lock on to someone to grab him with the devilbringer.

Xater said:
No you pretty much just press attakc and you do combos and insta rev without doing anything yourself. You don't even have to lock on to someone to grab him with the devilbringer.

Wow. In that case I'm sure you probably can't enable it on the higher difficulties. I thought it was originally mentioned as a Human mode only option, but I noticed that DH will let you use it also. It might also give you a huge mission complete penalty.

There is no PS3 gaf leaderboard? Cause I would love to compare with some of the better guys here. I am in the 200's in some of the missions worldwide.

Xater

Valkyr Junkie said:
Wow. In that case I'm sure you probably can't enable it on the higher difficulties. I thought it was originally mentioned as a Human mode only option, but I noticed that DH will let you use it also. It might also give you a huge mission complete penalty.

I tried it out on Son of Sparda and there was no penalty at the end of the mission. That's why I am asking it actually would explain all those high rankings online if those are also counted. :lol

Dave1988

MiamiWesker said:
There is no PS3 gaf leaderboard? Cause I would love to compare with some of the better guys here. I am in the 200's in some of the missions worldwide.

The Leaderboards are dominted by the Japanese :(

Zzoram said:
I tried it on Credo on Human and I couldn't even do it there, no way I'd try it on DMD :lol

Meh. Practice makes perfect.

The Perfect IRevs will be a pain, though.

Kyoufu

MiamiWesker said:

I would like one too. I suggested something to Dahbomb but he kinda shrugged it off. I'd play the game more if I wasn't so sick :(

Xater said:
I tried it out on Son of Sparda and there was no penalty at the end of the mission. That's why I am asking it actually would explain all those high rankings online if those are also counted. :lol

You can't achieve crazy scores like that with Automatic...Its like playing an FPS with auto-aim and not getting as many headshots. Same shit, different game.

Zzoram

Xater said:

lame, did you get S rank for the SoS missions you beat with automatic?

maskrider

Valkyr Junkie said:

Automatic is available for every difficulty. With Automatic, some of the missions/boss fights are just not right since you don't want to do more than you wanted, e.g. mission 11, 20.

With automatic, it might pro-long your fight than follow the actions that you wanted.

Xater

Kyoufu said:
You can't achieve crazy scores like that with Automatic...Its like playing an FPS with auto-aim and not getting as many headshots. Same shit, different game.

Good to know. I really feared Capcom didn't about that aspect of the game.

@ Zzoram: I think I did get an S ranking but I am not sure I didn#t even save the game it was so lame.

Sectus

Xater said:
Well, I can at least notice that the player who made that insane playthrough of mission 2 didn't use Automatic. For several reasons:
-You lose a lot of control over what combos are done. You can try to "override" the game's choices by doing a specific combo (which involves holding the analog stick in a direction), but normal ground attack combos is something you don't have control over. His strings of combos seemed like he had planned beforehand and I doubt they'd work if Nero randomly did combos the player didn't plan to do.
-His insta-rev was INSANELY good. While playing as automatic, perhaps 30% of the attacks gets insta-rev and even less are perfect insta-revs. So all of those insta-revs were his own, and if Automatic was on it would probably put him off the timing as the game would do combos he wasn't planning for.
-He charged the pistol while attacking. While in Automatic the pistols are only charged automatically when you're idle.

Xater

I also encountered a bug today. As I played thorugh Mission 3 and encountered the ice demons for the first time they actually shoved me down where the boss from the next mission would be. At first I thought "Sweet maybe I can use this to my advantage!" but I could not. I wasn't able to get back because of the barrier and I could not continue on because all the rooms were empty. :lol

Zzoram

What are the essential things to buy first with Proud Souls? I feel like I might not be unlocking moves in the right order.

Darkpen

Banned
MiamiWesker said:
I made a thread, but I'm on the PS3's browser, so go look yourself :lol

Xater

Zzoram said:
What are the essential things to buy first with Proud Souls? I feel like I might not be unlocking moves in the right order.

Depends on your palystile I guess. I didn#t upgrade the weapon at all with nero and first went for the sword combos, evasion moves and devil bringer.

Sectus

I'll post my observations about Automatic again since there seems to be a bit confusion about it and I've noticed a few new things:

When playing as Nero:
-Pistol will be automatically charged up when standing idle or running around
-Clicking once with a pistol means 3 shots
-Melee attacks will be automatically turned into different combos (including launches and juggles)
-Devil bringer will snatch or grab depending on range
-The exceed gauge will automatically insta-rev randomly as you do attacks (works about 30% of the time, few of those being perfect insta-revs)

When playing as Dante:
-Ranged weapon will automatically charge when standing idle or running around
-Clicking once with the pistols means multiple shots.
-Melee attacks will automatically turn into different combos
-Pandora will automatically change into a form REALLY quick (faster than what a human player will be able to do)

The 2 unfair advantages with Automatic is definitely that you can easily charge ranged weapons and quickly use the Pandora (although you have no control over which form is used). Besides that it basically turns a bad player into an average one and might help people get a higher rank on missions. But really good players will play worse with Automatic because they lose too much control. I personally wish there were a score penalty when using Automatic but besides that I don't think it's a stupid addition. Just an extra thing bad players can rely on if they can't play the game properly.

Edit: And most importantly, I'm glad it's *optional*. If this was like Assassin's Creed then Automatic would be forced and there would be no other difficulties than Human Mode. I'm really glad that Capcom decided to leave these options up to the player.

gbovo

This pretty much sums up both characters attitudes and outlook towards the whole game

Nero: Kyrie!!
Kyrie!!!
KYRIIIIEEEEEEE!!!!

Dante: lololol!!
LOLOLOL!!!
LOLOLAAAAWL!!!

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
gbovo said:
This pretty much sums up both characters attitudes and outlook towards the whole game

Kyrie!!!
KYRIIIIEEEEEEE!!!!

LOLOLOL!!!
LOLOLAAAAWL!!!
Dude that only makes me want to play the game more, love that cheesy shit!

Xater

gbovo said:

Kyrie!!!
KYRIIIIEEEEEEE!!!!

LOLOLOL!!!
LOLOLAAAAWL!!!

I actually love how everything is just a big joke to Dante. :lol

Xater

Elbrain said:
:lol

That is why I like his character alot :lol

I don#t want to spoil anything because I don't know how far along you are but there is one sequence that is particularly awesome with Dante. ;)

Future

After watching some of these advanced vids, I fuckin HATE that orbs are connected to the ranking system. Wouldnt be so bad if most of the orbs were in fun or logical places, but many require bullshit platforming or force you to attack invisible shit for them to appear. Great fighter that can insta rev every strike while charging your gun? Too bad! Gotta go through extra crap to get good ranks

Zzoram

Future said:
After watching some of these advanced vids, I fuckin HATE that orbs are connected to the ranking system. Wouldnt be so bad if most of the orbs were in fun or logical places, but many require bullshit platforming or force you to attack invisible shit for them to appear. Great fighter that can insta rev every strike while charging your gun? Too bad! Gotta go through extra crap to get good ranks

Do you need S in everything to get S for the mission? If SSA works, then you can get like 80% of the orbs.

DSN2K

Dante can LOL at this whole situation because he's taken on alot worse and won so he can basically chill in this game. :D :lol

LordK

Zzoram said:
Do you need S in everything to get S for the mission? If SSA works, then you can get like 80% of the orbs.

I think I've gotten SAA before and got an S. Depends on how "high or low" the S/A is. But yeah... having to break open benches each time and what not to get an S in the orbs stuff is kinda annoying.

Narag

copybeaver said:
I think I've gotten SAA before and got an S. Depends on how "high or low" the S/A is. But yeah... having to break open benches each time and what not to get an S in the orbs stuff is kinda annoying.

No Item and No Damage can help your rank out. I'm fairly certain I had a SAB but had both so was given an S rank.

DSN2K

Im in love with Nero devil trigger, crazy shit he does when he grabs foes, :D wish I could play the game entirely in that form.

Sectus said:
I'll post my observations about Automatic again since there seems to be a bit confusion about it and I've noticed a few new things:

When playing as Nero:
-Pistol will be automatically charged up when standing idle or running around
-Clicking once with a pistol means 3 shots
-Melee attacks will be automatically turned into different combos (including launches and juggles)
-Devil bringer will snatch or grab depending on range
-The exceed gauge will automatically insta-rev randomly as you do attacks (works about 30% of the time, few of those being perfect insta-revs)

When playing as Dante:
-Ranged weapon will automatically charge when standing idle or running around
-Clicking once with the pistols means multiple shots.
-Melee attacks will automatically turn into different combos
-Pandora will automatically change into a form REALLY quick (faster than what a human player will be able to do)

The 2 unfair advantages with Automatic is definitely that you can easily charge ranged weapons and quickly use the Pandora (although you have no control over which form is used). Besides that it basically turns a bad player into an average one and might help people get a higher rank on missions. But really good players will play worse with Automatic because they lose too much control. I personally wish there were a score penalty when using Automatic but besides that I don't think it's a stupid addition. Just an extra thing bad players can rely on if they can't play the game properly.

Edit: And most importantly, I'm glad it's *optional*. If this was like Assassin's Creed then Automatic would be forced and there would be no other difficulties than Human Mode. I'm really glad that Capcom decided to leave these options up to the player.

Assassin's Creed has an automatic-esque easy mode?

DSN2K said:
Im in love with Nero devil trigger, crazy shit he does when he grabs foes, :D wish I could play the game entirely in that form.

You can.

Question -- does the game ever actually tell players what automatic does?

Tutorial on or off.

Surprisingly, I haven't noticed message boards flooded with questions like "what does auto do" - thinking that the game makes a point somewhere in the tutorial screen barage during mission 2 as to what it does.

Sectus

Zzoram said:
I've even been able to get an overall S rank with SAA scores. And I'm fairly certain you don't need 100% orbs to get S rank from it, probably around 90% is necessary.

I3rand0

In Mission 3, after you kill the frosts, you can go back up the mountain and before you reach the top again, theres a edge where the devil arm starts to blink. Is it possible to get to the top of there with Nero and whats up there?

Top Bottom