• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Draft

Jimmy Stav said:
Wait, Nero doesnt get any new weapons? That's really dissapointing. I'm getting kinda sick of Nero's sword combos at this point.
Nope, not a one. In fact, they kind of cocktease you by having one of his upgrades look a LOT like a new weapon, and then tah-dah, it's just your devil trigger.

deepbrown

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/column_index.php?story=8812
Xbox 360
North America: 1. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Activision), 2. Devil May Cry 4 (Capcom), 3. Rock Band Special Edition (EA Games), 4. Halo 3 (Microsoft), 5. Turok (Touchstone).

Japan: 1. Devil May Cry 4 (Capcom), 2. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Activision), 3. Battlestations: Midway (Spike), 4. Dead Rising / Gears of War -- Xbox 360 Platinum Double Pack (Capcom/Microsoft), 5. The IdolM@ster -- Xbox 360 Platinum Collection (Namco).

UK: 1. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Activision), 2. Devil May Cry 4 (Capcom), 3. Halo 3 (Microsoft), 4. Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock Bundle (Activision), 5. Burnout Paradise (EA Games).

PlayStation 3
North America: 1. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Activision), 2. Devil May Cry 4 (Capcom), 3. Devil May Cry 4 -- Collector's Edition (Capcom), 4. Assassin's Creed (Ubisoft), 5. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (SCEA).

Japan: 1. Devil May Cry 4 (Capcom), 2. Makai Senki Disgaea 3 -- First Print Limited Edition (Nippon Ichi), 3. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Activision), 4. Makai Senki Disgaea 3 (Nippon Ichi), 5. Resistance: Jinrui Botsuraku no Hi (SCEI).

UK: 1. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Activision), 2. Burnout Paradise (EA Games), 3. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (SCEE), 4. Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (Konami), 5. Resistance: Fall of Man (SCEE).

Know why that is. DMC4 is advertised in the UK as an Xbox 360 title....no PS3 in sight!

Raw64life

Beat Human Mode, and it is in fact a cakewalk. I only died once the whole time and even then I was revived immediately by a Gold Orb. I also didn't buy a single skill or item for either character except for Speed so I could sprint.

I considered just starting Devil hunter mode half way through, but decided to stick it out since your Proud Souls and Red Orbs carry over to other difficulty levels. The game is a lto of fun and I'll probably starts Devil Hunter mode tomorrow.

Dave1988

Prince8 said:
Damn... can't believe how bad most parts of DMC3 actually were... damn it was even quite a bad game, only the gameplay mechanics were worthwhile :lol Really happy they changed the setting and locations for DMC4.

f_hallokevm_874535d.jpg

Draft

I found all 3 of the demon bosses to be straight up bitch made. Berial killed me one time (in the demo), frog dude got wasted first time I met him with Nero and Dante, and Echidna I think maybe managed to kill me once as Nero, but I'm not sure.

The humanoid bosses gave me a lot more trouble.

AAK said:

Fixed.

Dante is fantastic. The style and personality are so refreshing, he's just a badass. DMC5 needs to be all Dante all the time. Also, Dante has cool sidekicks like Trish and Lady. They just need to find a way to give him the Devil Bringer. Maybe Nero can give it to Dante as a new Devil Arm.

Anyway, I'm playing through on DH now. I'm at mission 16. I'd probably be finished for now if it wasn't for the Secret Mission. A few of them are incredibly frustrating. Particularly
the one with the disappearing platforms and the Royal Blocking one.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Y2Kev said:

I know that line in the ending of the first DMC gets a lot of crap, but seriously, how is it any worse than lines in any other videogame?

Now for a question;

How the fuck am I supposed to "buster" five enemies in a row without touching the ground? I just started playing it and I'm amazed you can do it more than one time :)

Narag

ItsInMyVeins said:
I know that line in the ending of the first DMC gets a lot of crap, but seriously, how is it any worse than lines in any other videogame?

Now for a question;

How the fuck am I supposed to "buster" five enemies in a row without touching the ground? I just started playing it and I'm amazed you can do it more than one time :)

Jump, lock on + buster, buster, repeat last 2 steps 4 more times midair. You should have plenty of hangtime.

itsinmyveins

Narag said:
Jump, lock on + buster, buster, repeat last 2 steps 4 more times midair. You should have plenty of hangtime.

Hm, that's what I tried I think, just didn't work for me. I must be messing something up.

MiamiWesker said:
Nero has a throw move, its not that innovative. Yeah bringing enemies toward you is awesome but it makes things maybe too easy. Its no different than pulling off throws in GoW, in this game its just a lot more fluid.

I still think Dante has more depth than any action game character, the style switching ups the gameplay that much more now almost anything is possible. Plus his weapons are far more interesting than anything Nero has or does. The problem with this game is that a lot of the enemies were created with throwing in mind so it feels like Dante is at a disadvantage. But still Dante's gameplay is just better, more options, more freedom, more depth, there really isnt anything like it.

I agree with Bebpo that if they give Nero more weapons and have his arm upgradeable he is a good enough character to get his own game. I don't mind having both characters stick around really, I just rather have the focus on Dante and Nero be the side character, and *gasp* maybe have stages designed for each in mind... CAPCOM...

Dante has depth, but Nero has approachable depth for average players.

Also, I'm not talking about throwing enemies, I'm talking about the whole picture. The grappling, the pulling, the environment interaction, the ability to chain throws, using it as a shield etc., all these avenues I think Capcom found their golden ticket to explore and expand with in future DMC games.

Dante's days are over, his multi-weapon ass kicking just isn't awe-striking anymore. It's in-depth, it's tactically cool, it's fun - sure. But DMC1 had instant weapon changing. Going from your pistols to your sword, DMC3 and DMC4 (dante segment) simply expand that to supreme heights, but the concept was there since DMC1.

Nero and his game mechanics are different, and I think after seeing how DMC4 seem to be a success (if a hardcore game on PS3 can do well in Japan, Europe and NA are in the bag) -- I think Capcom is going to either stick with Nero, or superimpose Nero's devil arm mechanic onto Dante.

I'm calling it now.

Personally, they should just start a new franchise called Nero. And let Devil May Cry take a rest a little bit. I say this because no other action game offers the free-form ass kicking control that Dante did in DMC3 and DMC4, but it seems people don't appreciate it anymore because they expect a DMC game to have that. I think it's time to wait on DMC5, while expand Nero with his new series.

ItsInMyVeins said:
Hm, that's what I tried I think, just didn't work for me. I must be messing something up.
The Devil Bringer upgrades make it easier. Also, the buster needs to happen quite quickly after even a long-range DB latches on or you will lose too much altitude. I think the DB animation can mislead you into waiting too long.

rinker

Anyone got a link to the movie for
when you protect kyrie during the credits? I've been having trouble protecting her and its a hassle to get to that point.

ItsInMyVeins said:
slidewinder said:
The Devil Bringer upgrades make it easier. Also, the buster needs to happen quite quickly after even a long-range DB latches on or you will lose too much altitude. I think the DB animation can mislead you into waiting too long.
You also need to keep the enemies close together so that when one dies you can grab a new one.

Draft said:
I found all 3 of the demon bosses to be straight up bitch made. Berial killed me one time (in the demo), frog dude got wasted first time I met him with Nero and Dante, and Echidna I think maybe managed to kill me once as Nero, but I'm not sure.

The humanoid bosses gave me a lot more trouble.

Credo is super fuckin fun on DMD. That fucker breaks out shit you didn't think he can do.

What pisses me off -- is that you never fight him as Dante. Which is the one boss fought I would have -loved- to have repeated.

IMO:

Boss ranking:

Credo > Dante > Echidna > Agnus > Berial > Bael

strictly speaking out of the 'main' boss sets. Not including final bosses, sub-bosses or anything in between.

Dave1988 said:
It goes with the story. In previous titles Dante actually cared about what's happening around him? Here? Pffft, gimme a break. Let the newbie handle it.

Or in other words, he just doesn't give a fuck.

Yeah, you really get that impression when Trish and Dante are just poking fun at everything they see. Neither of them seem worried at all, almost as if Nero and Kyrie are two high school kids in some myspace drama.

Potentially noobish question here, but why are there multiple save slots in Devil May Cry games? I only used one in DMC3, I'm only using one now. What do you guys use them for?

a Master Ninja said:
Potentially noobish question here, but why are there multiple save slots in Devil May Cry games? I only used one in DMC3, I'm only using one now. What do you guys use them for?

If you want to start a new - fresh game on a difficulty setting without your 'beefed' up character, you select new game, auto off etc. etc. and obviously choose to rewrite over a new save file so your old one doesn't get over=ridden. Playing DMD mode with a fresh level 1 character is naturally - near impossible.

I'd also imagine it allows multiple players under one gamertag to play dmc4.

Narag

a Master Ninja said:

I just assumed it was for multiple people sharing a console or if you wanted to play as Vergil in DMC3SE.

And fuck Bloody Palace Berial. I have a worse time with him than I did on DMD.

Narag said:
I just assumed it was for multiple people sharing a console or if you wanted to play as Vergil in DMC3SE.

And fuck Bloody Palace Berial. I have a worse time with him than I did on DMD.

You suck...you suck. Seriously...
you suck.

;p

Narag

C- Warrior said:
You suck...you suck. Seriously...
you suck.

;p

I do!

I'm too impatient and just expect to roll over him. He feels like a Berial if there was a difficulty between SoS and DMD. He does the explosion sooo much. :p

itsinmyveins

I'm just being lazy now since I easily could just go and get the manual or start the game, but I'm in front of my computer now and can't be bothered with it so I might as well ask you guys; what does the automatic option change? The default is not having it turned on, right? Should I turn it on`?

I3rand0

MiamiWesker said:
I did that, I meant more as in areas Nero cannot access at all. I am missing two secret missions and a bunch of orb pieces, I know where some are but for the most part I have no clue where to look.

Try using a Triple EX High Roller with Nero. He can reach anywhere with that and Air Hike.

hteng

Banned
Tokubetsu said:
Dear capcom,
The enemy type "blitz" is sucks.

here's an easy way to kill it

as nero:
use charge shoots to strip his barrier, once it's stripped, quickly devil trigger, do a 3 hit combo, quickly grab him, do this 3 times, if you did it right after the last grab you will leave him with very little health, he will go into berserk mode immediately, while he is charging just shoot him with another charge shoot or two, he will die immediately giving you a SSS rank

its pretty difficult to kill it as dante, but the you best bet is gilgamesh while in DT

ItsInMyVeins said:
I'm just being lazy now since I easily could just go and get the manual or start the game, but I'm in front of my computer now and can't be bothered with it so I might as well ask you guys; what does the automatic option change? The default is not having it turned on, right? Should I turn it on`?

Stick with off.

If you chose on, a screen would have come up telling you what it does.

Anyway, having it on makes some of the special attack easier to perform, it'll also do some combos for you.

But ultimately, while sounding appealing, it takes some control out of your hands, which isn't a good thing other than for casual gamers.

Bebpo

Banned
I've been playing the bosses trying to incorporate this Nero L3 charge shot into my game and my fingers want to kill me.

I changed it to L1 like suggested since when holding square I can't do triangle attacks well, but on L1 it's really hard for me to rev on L2 reliably. Plus when there's a lot of enemies I'm having a hard time getting the one I want to let off the L3 charge shot on. Like
the angus boss fight with all his summons flying/running around. I kept targeting them when I wanted to fire it off at him

I will say that doing a DT buster on a boss and charging the shot during them and letting it off right after the buster finishes = INSANE DAMAGE. On SoS bosses, it probably does almost 40% of their life.

Bebpo

Banned
fistfulofmetal said:
Why did the remove the option to change who you are targeting? Pressing the thumbstick doesn't do it anymore :\

It still does it, but I find it pretty unreliable. I usually just unlock and try to lock again.

fistfulofmetal said:
Why did the remove the option to change who you are targeting? Pressing the thumbstick doesn't do it anymore :\

Yes it does. Did you change your targeting style in the menu?

It's the left thumbstick.

Anyway:

"check it out, it's got wings!"
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

funniest line in the fuckin game.

hteng

Banned
Bebpo said:
I've been playing the bosses trying to incorporate this Nero L3 charge shot into my game and my fingers want to kill me.

I changed it to L1 like suggested since when holding square I can't do triangle attacks well, but on L1 it's really hard for me to rev on L2 reliably. Plus when there's a lot of enemies I'm having a hard time getting the one I want to let off the L3 charge shot on. Like
the angus boss fight with all his summons flying/running around. I kept targeting them when I wanted to fire it off at him

I will say that doing a DT buster on a boss and charging the shot during them and letting it off right after the buster finishes = INSANE DAMAGE. On SoS bosses, it probably does almost 40% of their life.

even if you hit angus's pets, if they are near angus, the explosion will damage him too. I remember one time i sink a magic bullet into a flying sword but didn't kill it, i grabbed it and threw it at angus, after a while it exploded inside him lol, that was pretty bad ass. Anyway you are on the right track, you'll get use to it. I use my left index finger for holding charge shoots, my left middle finger for reving. if you are still uncomfortable you can try put it on R2 since there's nothing there.

burgerdog

I did the same thing a few hours ago, I changed LB to my gun. I had slight problems revving as well initially, but holy shit. Now that I'm used to it I'm doing some rather crazy combos with it. Enemies that were an annoyance before are just getting melted now. I used to think the gun was so weak and lame before. I love this game!

BojTrek

Banned
In Level 9 or 10 where you stop time and jump up those fucking spinning blades to reach a door up higher... seriously WHAT THE FUCK!

Narag

BojTrek said:
In Level 9 or 10 where you stop time and jump up those fucking spinning blades to reach a door up higher... seriously WHAT THE FUCK!

I -think- you can do a little streak hop off the edge to the door's platform. I did it once but never went back to doublecheck.

hteng

Banned
burgerdog said:
I did the same thing a few hours ago, I changed LB to my gun. I had slight problems revving as well initially, but holy shit. Now that I'm used to it I'm doing some rather crazy combos with it. Enemies that were annoyance before are just getting melted now. I used to think the gun was so weak and lame before. I love this game!

heh it was pretty weak before you learn charge shoot

Top Bottom