• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Xater

C- Warrior said:
You can.

Question -- does the game ever actually tell players what automatic does?

Tutorial on or off.

Surprisingly, I haven't noticed message boards flooded with questions like "what does auto do" - thinking that the game makes a point somewhere in the tutorial screen barage during mission 2 as to what it does.

If you start a game on automatic a screen pops up that tells oyu what it does.

Sectus

C- Warrior said:
Assassin's Creed has an automatic-esque easy mode?
Yes, that's basically the only mode in the game.

I don't know if you've played the game. But you can win all the fights in the by holding RT and occassionally pressing X. And all the freerunning/climbing is done automatically, you just have to hold the analog stick in the general direction where you wanna go.

Technologically, it's a very impressive game though. They just forgot to add gameplay.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Xater said:
I actually love how everything is just a big joke to Dante. :lol
Thats what makes him so hot:lol

OMG, Its the coming of the four horsemen, aliens invade, hell freezes over, The gods are raining down acid from the sky.

Dante " Looks like this party is just getting started":lol

Xater said:
If you start a game on automatic a screen pops up that tells oyu what it does.

Oh that's cool. Hopefully regardless if you have tutorial on or off because I don't want to deal with the auto on or off questions.

Narag

shintoki said:
Thats what makes him so hot:lol

OMG, Its the coming of the four horsemen, aliens invade, hell freezes over, The gods are raining down acid from the sky.

Dante " Looks like this party is just getting started":lol

:lol

On a side note, some of the 360 leaderboards are starting to get more of an international presence in the higher ranks.

BboyDubC

I don't know why gamers call stuff like this cheesy. I LOVE the dialog in this game. Dante/Nero are so cool, their voices are AMAZING, and the acting is spot on. Best intro to a game I've seen yet, all the way through the initial fight with Dante. Truly entertaining, humorous, and meaningful. Dante getting blasted away by Nero into the pew, where he just falls over, sitting calmly onto his sword is just SO slick. It's that Anime slickness that used to be there like 6+ years ago before anime started to get generic and suck.

Nero > Dante

You know, Dante is fun in an old-school sense. But nothing about his gameplay marks out from what other action games do, or previous DMC games.

Sure, style switch allows for ease of function, and on higher difficulties it will be mandatory, but Nero's gameplay just offers things -other action games- don't.

When I run into a pack of enemies with Nero, I FEEL AS IF I CAN CONTROL THE ENVIRONMENT, dragging enemies to me, pulling myself towards them, no longer do I have to do what I have to do in every other action game, I don't have to run to them, I bring those bitches to me...also, using my weapons in conjuction with the devil arm. Do I perform buster on this white knight? If I do -- I'll be left open for an attack. etc etc It adds a dimension other games lack.

He also adds this sort of dimension and puzzle to the bosses, when, how and where do I use the buster attack?

So, Dante is fun -- but a last gen fun. A sort of throw off to say that, we've done all we can with Dante. An ass-load of moves, tons of styles, weapons, levels, upgrades, instant this, instant that, but it seems Dante has capped off.

DMC5, Nero all the way.

Xater

C- Warrior said:
Oh that's cool. Hopefully regardless if you have tutorial on or off because I don't want to deal with the auto on or off questions.

I would guess it does otherwise it would be pretty stupid.

PS: "Dante killing demons for the LULZ" should be one of those black background pictures. :lol

@BboyDubC: I love it too. If it was totally serious I think it wouldn't work. Being this over the top makes the series imo.

Bebpo

Banned
C- Warrior said:
Nero > Dante

You know, Dante is fun in an old-school sense. But nothing about his gameplay marks out from what other action games do, or previous DMC games.

Sure, style switch allows for ease of function, and on higher difficulties it will be mandatory, but Nero's gameplay just offers things -other action games- don't.

When I run into a pack of enemies with Nero, I FEEL AS IF I CAN CONTROL THE ENVIRONMENT, dragging enemies to me, pulling myself towards them, no longer do I have to do what I have to do in every other action game, I don't have to run to them, I bring those bitches to me...also, using my weapons in conjuction with the devil arm. Do I perform buster on this white knight? If I do -- I'll be left open for an attack. etc etc It adds a dimension other games lack.

He also adds this sort of dimension and puzzle to the bosses, when, how and where do I use the buster attack?

So, Dante is fun -- but a last gen fun. A sort of throw off to say that, we've done all we can with Dante. An ass-load of moves, tons of styles, weapons, levels, upgrades, instant this, instant that, but it seems Dante has capped off.

DMC5, Nero all the way.

I agree that in DMC4 Nero > Dante from a gameplay perspective. I think that's why you're seeing all these Nero vids and not Dante ones.

But in any other game? Who knows. Nero is better here because the entire game is made for him. Dante really does seem like he was just thrown in for fans and not originally planned to be playable.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Dante is only, IMO, totally alive in the levels where you can't play as Nero...the street in Fortuna where they just throw a ton of shit at you and say GO CRAZY is awesome with Dante.

BboyDubC

This is my first DMC (wanted to play it for years, but never had a PS2). Although, sometimes I feel like wanting to run along the walls or something ala Ninja Gaiden (lol, that game spoiled me with it's freedom), the magical coherence of the devil arm and on the fly, creatable, room-clearing-without-ever-being-touched-because-you-are-so-good-at-chaining-them combos is unbelievable. The devil arm is just so cool. Not only because high-roller > couple slashes > couple gunshots > slash > devil arm attack will kill a lot of enemies, for a straight, not touching the ground combo, but it ALSO pushes you back further into the air to pull a new enemy and continue your combo. The possibilities with it are something I have never seen in any other action game... streaking into a crowd of enemies to blow them away, then using devil bringer to bring one back to you and combo him to death... wow. Hey Itagaki! There ain't NOTHING wrong with a good ole' combo game in my book!

Xater

Bebpo said:
I agree that in DMC4 Nero > Dante from a gameplay perspective. I think that's why you're seeing all these Nero vids and not Dante ones.

But in any other game? Who knows. Nero is better here because the entire game is made for him. Dante really does seem like he was just thrown in for fans and not originally planned to be playable.

I am sure he is palyable so people don't complain like with MGS2.

I love both characer and don't really care tha tmuch which one I will play in the coming sequel.
Although I really want to know what the deal is with Nero's origin.
Well the engine is there and the first game done for this generation so hopefully it won't take too long. :D

Kittonwy

Banned
This is probably old but Future Shop haz the DMC4 PS3 40GB bundle for $429 CDN great value rawr.
gladtomeetya.gif

Mamesj

Banned
C- Warrior said:
Nero > Dante

DMC5, Nero all the way.

Nero has the arm and rev, that's all. He's a shitload of fun to use, but limited. I still like Dante's more technical style better.

Capcom should make up some BS that gives Dante the arm and a revving sword in the next game (or give Nero all of Dante's stuff...I couldn't care less either way.) Because Nero has a huge downside in his lack of weapons and styles.

but to get the whole package in one guy would be amazing.

Kittonwy

Banned
C- Warrior said:
Nero > Dante

DMC5, Nero all the way.

They could have simply dumped one of the styles (maybe Gunslinger) and given Dante a devil arm and ditch Nero altogether.
Indifferent2.gif

Bebpo

Banned
I think if they want to use Nero again, what they need to do is GIVE HIM WEAPONS. I mean he has an empty R2 button. They could easily give him a ton of devil arms with real-time changing on R2. Could even use d-pad for switching between guns (or even better just give him different bullet types set to each direction).

Plus give him more normal abilities, more DT abilities, and more stuff for the red queen besides just streaks and high rollers (which were both basically just clones of dante's moves). Way more devil buster moves (probably the biggest flaw with Nero's gameplay in DMC4. He has snatch & shield and grabbing people...that's it. He should have gotten new MOVES for the arm after each boss or something. The arm could've visually changed after each boss as it absorbs something new in).

There's definitely enough potential for another game-worth of Nero in terms of gameplay upgrades.

Victrix

*beard*
Those japanese DMC4 videos are absolutely insane - anyone have links to more? It's a joy to watch someone tear the game up without abusing any (obvious) lame exploits. He just moved incredibly fast, and ripped up every foe he encountered with considerable style.

BboyDubC said:
This is my first DMC (wanted to play it for years, but never had a PS2). Although, sometimes I feel like wanting to run along the walls or something ala Ninja Gaiden (lol, that game spoiled me with it's freedom), the magical coherence of the devil arm and on the fly, creatable, room-clearing-without-ever-being-touched-because-you-are-so-good-at-chaining-them combos is unbelievable. The devil arm is just so cool. Not only because high-roller > couple slashes > couple gunshots > slash > devil arm attack will kill a lot of enemies, for a straight, not touching the ground combo, but it ALSO pushes you back further into the air to pull a new enemy and continue your combo. The possibilities with it are something I have never seen in any other action game... streaking into a crowd of enemies to blow them away, then using devil bringer to bring one back to you and combo him to death... wow. Hey Itagaki! There ain't NOTHING wrong with a good ole' combo game in my book!

Good thing you're enjoying. But just wait till you get further on ahead, or better yet -- play the game on son of sparda mode :lol

Tokubetsu said:
Dear capcom,
The enemy type "blitz" is sucks.

blitz is awesome.

he's a shadow on 'roids...

Nero with a level 3 charged shot will knock the electricty out, then use buster and go apeshit on shit on ass

Draft

Bebpo said:
I think if they want to use Nero again, what they need to do is GIVE HIM WEAPONS. I mean he has an empty R2 button. They could easily give him a ton of devil arms with real-time changing on R2. Could even use d-pad for switching between guns (or even better just give him different bullet types set to each direction).

Plus give him more normal abilities, more DT abilities, and more stuff for the red queen besides just streaks and high rollers (which were both basically just clones of dante's moves). Way more devil buster moves (probably the biggest flaw with Nero's gameplay in DMC4. He has snatch & shield and grabbing people...that's it. He should have gotten new MOVES for the arm after each boss or something. The arm could've visually changed after each boss as it absorbs something new in).

There's definitely enough potential for another game-worth of Nero in terms of gameplay upgrades.
Absolutely. In fact, DMC4 would be a MUCH better game if there was no Dante, and they had simply given Dante's melee weapons to Nero instead.

Sorry Dante fans. He's still hilarious in cut scenes, though!

C- Warrior said:
Nero > Dante

DMC5, Nero all the way.

Nero has a throw move, its not that innovative. Yeah bringing enemies toward you is awesome but it makes things maybe too easy. Its no different than pulling off throws in GoW, in this game its just a lot more fluid.

I still think Dante has more depth than any action game character, the style switching ups the gameplay that much more now almost anything is possible. Plus his weapons are far more interesting than anything Nero has or does. The problem with this game is that a lot of the enemies were created with throwing in mind so it feels like Dante is at a disadvantage. But still Dante's gameplay is just better, more options, more freedom, more depth, there really isnt anything like it.

I agree with Bebpo that if they give Nero more weapons and have his arm upgradeable he is a good enough character to get his own game. I don't mind having both characters stick around really, I just rather have the focus on Dante and Nero be the side character, and *gasp* maybe have stages designed for each in mind... CAPCOM...

Y2Kev

Draft said:
Absolutely. In fact, DMC4 would be a MUCH better game if there was no Dante, and they had simply given Dante's melee weapons to Nero instead.

If Nero is going to be the new series lead, they need to coopt Dante's personality. Nero sucks. He's hardly ever funny. He needs to turn the cheese up to 11.

BTW I think the story is okay.

Draft

Y2Kev said:
If Nero is going to be the new series lead, they need to coopt Dante's personality. Nero sucks. He's hardly ever funny. He needs to turn the cheese up to 11.

BTW I think the story is okay.
He basically IS Dante, except pussy whipped by Keereeyay. When he's talking shit to Berial or the frog or the plant lady, that is Dante.

Conversely, Dante in this game is just turned up to 11. He's almost a parody of himself at this point. I loled like everyone else at the opera cut scene or when he blew up Berial's gate, but Dante in the old games wasn't anywhere near as ridiculous.

Zabka

Dante didn't really click for me until I upgraded Swordmaster completely. The dash combo is a great way to close distance with enemies without knocking them back out of range.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
MiamiWesker said:
Nero has a throw move, its not that innovative. Yeah bringing enemies toward you is awesome but it makes things maybe too easy. Its no different than pulling off throws in GoW, in this game its just a lot more fluid.

I still think Dante has more depth than any action game character, the style switching ups the gameplay that much more now almost anything is possible. Plus his weapons are far more interesting than anything Nero has or does. The problem with this game is that a lot of the enemies were created with throwing in mind so it feels like Dante is at a disadvantage. But still Dante's gameplay is just better, more options, more freedom, more depth, there really isnt anything like it.

I agree with Bebpo that if they give Nero more weapons and have his arm upgradeable he is a good enough character to get his own game. I don't mind having both characters stick around really, I just rather have the focus on Dante and Nero be the side character, and *gasp* maybe have stages designed for each in mind... CAPCOM...

Agreed.

Dave1988

Draft said:
He basically IS Dante, except pussy whipped by Keereeyay. When he's talking shit to Berial or the frog or the plant lady, that is Dante.

Conversely, Dante in this game is just turned up to 11. He's almost a parody of himself at this point. I loled like everyone else at the opera cut scene or when he blew up Berial's gate, but Dante in the old games wasn't anywhere near as ridiculous.

It goes with the story. In previous titles Dante actually cared about what's happening around him? Here? Pffft, gimme a break. Let the newbie handle it.

Or in other words, he just doesn't give a fuck.

Prince8

Banned
So I made the mistake to begin this game on Human difficulty. I was no DMC expert, so I thought it would be ok, but there's really no challenge to be found on this difficulty. I'm at mission 7 now, so I want to finish it, but damn it's kinda spoiling the fun.

Y2Kev

Draft said:

He doesn't have any of the flair of Dante. He's not sitting on Berial's tail--he angrily walks past him with some kind of indignant rudeness . He doesn't own the plant bitch by kicking her babies back into her face like melons.

He's a good start of a badass, but he's not dramatic. Dante is over the top, flamboyant, hilarious, cheesy, awesome, etc. Dante rocks.

I'd argue he was as ridiculous. The opening of DMC3 (and mission 2? opening where he sneezes and the entire shop collapses) are equally nutty. You have to go back to DMC1 for seriously serious Dante. DMC2 for super suckshitass Dante.

comrade

C- Warrior said:
blitz is awesome.

he's a shadow on 'roids...

Nero with a level 3 charged shot will knock the electricty out, then use buster and go apeshit on shit on ass
Wow well thats good to know after I've been getting destroyed by the one in Bloody Palace. That fuckers going down.

Draft

Prince8 said:
So I made the mistake to begin this game on Human difficulty. I was no DMC expert, so I thought it would be ok, but there's really no challenge to be found on this difficulty. I'm at mission 7 now, so I want to finish it, but damn it's kinda spoiling the fun.
You're less than halfway through. Barely more than 1/3rd of the way. Just start over.
It goes with the story. In previous titles Dante actually cared about what's happening around him? Here? Pffft, gimme a break. Let the newbie handle it.

I'm not complaining. I think it's really the only way for the character to go. He can only be defiantly sassy for so long. Eventually stomping the shit out of every giant lava spider, scary electric witch, evil twin brother and demon god that comes your way is going to go to your head.

LowParry

donkey show said:
What does it mean when my mini-map cursor starts making noise and glowing blue? Is there anything in particular I have to do?

It's either a side mission or hidden place of red orbs.

Y2Kev

Draft said:
You're less than halfway through. Barely more than 1/3rd of the way. Just start over.I'm not complaining. I think it's really the only way for the character to go. He can only be defiantly sassy for so long. Eventually stomping the shit out of every giant lava spider, scary electric witch, evil twin brother and demon god that comes your way is going to go to your head.

The entire premise only works for me when it is so lighthearted. The
Nero crying for Kyrie
cutscene is not where this series is supposed to be. And it wasn't too poorly acted, I guess. Except for Kyrie-- who is voicing her? A dude trying to be a woman?

But I can't take any of this shit seriously. Especially when the action is accompanied by the "excruciatingly good" Numetal.

Dave1988 said:

Its cause in this game its just another mission he gets called for. The way I look at it, he has missions like this every week, its his job. There is zero emotional attachment to this mission outside of a sword. The other DMC games delt with his family so he was emotionally invested. I love him in this game cause its like watching him at just another day at the office. Its the MGS2 effect, playing as Nero makes Dante that much more awesome.

dralla said:
finally! got all the blue orb fragments, some of the secret missions are so god damn frustrating

Can they all be found with Nero and his secret finding thingy or are a few hidden in areas only Dante can go (which is very small area).

Draft

Y2Kev said:
The entire premise only works for me when it is so lighthearted. The
Nero crying for Kyrie
cutscene is not where this series is supposed to be. And it wasn't too poorly acted, I guess. Except for Kyrie-- who is voicing her? A dude trying to be a woman?

But I can't take any of this shit seriously. Especially when the action is accompanied by the "excruciatingly good" Numetal.
It's truly terrible. I agree.

I guess what I am saying is that Nero, outside of any scene involving keereeyay, has the smug douche bag quality of DMC1 Dante. Also, lest we forget, Dante himself did not escape terrible love story esque wretchedness in his debut. I won't link the video. You know where to find it.

Y2Kev

Capcom also did the right thing in making Dante really overpowered, IMO. It makes you really appreciate how ridiculously powerful he is supposed to be. You have to work really hard to build certain combos with Nero, whereas Dante can do crazy shit just by mashing on sword master sometimes :lol

Draft said:

I guess what I am saying is that Nero, outside of any scene involving keereeyay, has the smug douche bag quality of DMC1 Dante. Also, lest we forget, Dante himself did not escape terrible love story esque wretchedness in his debut. I won't link the video. You know where to find it.

LIiiIIIIiiIIGHT

I will say that the juxtaposition of action with opera(tic music) is really a classic and works particularly well in this game. The introduction is so awesome. It is framed magnificently. The shot of Nero's silhouette against the wall with the scarecrow blade is brilliant.

CcrooK said:
I really like the entire intro to DMC4. It was something done in my eyes, fresh and new in a sense with an action game. The whole opera segment I enjoyed. The music I liked a lot as well. And with Dante's appearance soon after, I found myself laughing because it was just too damn awesome.

we typed this at like the exact same time. :lol

LowParry

I really like the entire intro to DMC4. It was something done in my eyes, fresh and new in a sense with an action game. The whole opera segment I enjoyed. The music I liked a lot as well. And with Dante's appearance soon after, I found myself laughing because it was just too damn awesome.

dralla said:
Dante has all the hard ones. SM 9 is hell

I did that, I meant more as in areas Nero cannot access at all. I am missing two secret missions and a bunch of orb pieces, I know where some are but for the most part I have no clue where to look.

Dave1988

Draft said:

But I will ;p

LIIIIIIIIGGGGGHHHHHHHTTTTT!!

Seriously, this was the only moment in the entire series where I cringed.

Draft said:

Wait, Nero doesnt get any new weapons? That's really dissapointing. I'm getting kinda sick of Nero's sword combos at this point.

Top Bottom