• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

I'll echo what others have said, going from Nero back to Dante is tough. I can't get my rank higher than Atomic. But I do enjoy having my trickster style back.

C- Warrior said:
If you want to start a new - fresh game on a difficulty setting without your 'beefed' up character, you select new game, auto off etc. etc. and obviously choose to rewrite over a new save file so your old one doesn't get over=ridden. Playing DMD mode with a fresh level 1 character is naturally - near impossible.

I'd also imagine it allows multiple players under one gamertag to play dmc4.
I guess I'm just the kind of guy who can't bring himself to castrate Dante's hard-earned moveset for added challenge.

burgerdog

fistfulofmetal said:
I'll echo what others have said, going from Nero back to Dante is tough. I can't get my rank higher than Atomic. But I do enjoy having my trickster style back.

OT, do you change your avatar hourly? lol She's not THAT cute.

Ganondorfo

That battle against
agnus is pissing me off, i know I should throw his enemies at him, but he always is regenerating health with his quote "time to die"

burgerdog said:
OT, do you change your avatar hourly? lol She's not THAT cute.

My avatar changes automatically upon refresh.

Ganondorfo said:
That battle against
agnus is pissing me off, i know I should throw his enemies at him, but he always is regenerating health with his quote "time to die"

DT cancels the life sucking grab he does. You can also just hit him just before he's about to grab you. The middle of the room move can be canceled by just hitting him a lot.

Ganondorfo said:
That battle against

Yeah, perform a DT cancel. It'll interrupt any 'enemy hold-suck life' attack in the game.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
fistfulofmetal said:
Exact opposite for me. Doing SSS combos with Dante is easy. With Nero I struggle to go past S.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Well..I haven't been having good luck at playing this lol. Keep getting distracted by Kingdom under fire. I got up to the boss on level 8 twice...quit both times:lol But I beat 6 and 7 hehe. I loved the
plant boss...so far its been my favorite to fight against. It felt more exciting.
Have to say though...I hating flying enemies. They really ruin the pace and just are more annoying then anything else. But I love fighting the angel armour dudes.

I do have to say though...They really need nero to get new weapons and make the Devil brigger a bit more useful. Like having a move where it can fling guy over your shoulder, or rip its weapon out and throw it back at it...or something. I definitely though out of everything. They should have made it do some cool things with your gun:lol Outside of the dissapointing use of skills with devil bringer and lack of new weapons. I enjoy it ^_^

RiZ III

Just finished the game. Awesome...

I can't believe all those cut-scenes were in real-time!! ::mind blown:: I wasn't sure if they were or not until I realized I could actually move the camera.

Capcom with their MTF engine win this generation. And to think their engine was done by 3 guys(5 more came later) _0_

Bebpo

Banned
Ganondorfo said:
That battle against

That fights pretty easy once you learn that just hitting him cancels most of his moves and he'll mainly just do the one slash followed by the other.

shintoki said:
Well..I haven't been having good luck at playing this lol. Keep getting distracted by Kingdom under fire. I got up to the boss on level 8 twice...quit both times:lol But I beat 6 and 7 hehe. I loved the
plant boss...so far its been my favorite to fight against. It felt more exciting.
Have to say though...I hating flying enemies. They really ruin the pace and just are more annoying then anything else. But I love fighting the angel armour dudes.

I do have to say though...They really need nero to get new weapons and make the Devil brigger a bit more useful. Like having a move where it can fling guy over your shoulder, or rip its weapon out and throw it back at it...or something. I definitely though out of everything. They should have made it do some cool things with your gun:lol Outside of the dissapointing use of skills with devil bringer and lack of new weapons. I enjoy it ^_^

I love the Mephistos, as well as that fuckin-bad ass looking enhanced version with the hat on.

I however, fuckin-hate those stupid ass knights. They should just give you one at a time, but make it much harder. Like they do with Blitz.

Bebpo

Banned
C- Warrior said:
I love the Mephistos, as well as that fuckin-bad ass looking enhanced version with the hat on.

I however, fuckin-hate those stupid ass knights. They should just give you one at a time, but make it much harder. Like they do with Blitz.

Multiple Knights are the most fun enemies to fight. They're really aggressive and they have big weakpoints.

Mephistos are boring. Buster/grab/buster/grab then beat up helpless ones. Zzzzz

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Bebpo said:
Multiple Knights are the most fun enemies to fight. They're really aggressive and they have big weakpoints.

Yea the knights are the best addition to DMC's rouge gallery in DMC4. Blitz as well, he can be annoying when he is near death but still pretty intense fight.

Mephistos are well just weak same as faust, why even bother.

Berial in Bloody Palace with Dante is kicking my ass, what the hell kind of difficulty is it on. I see someone else is with me on that one. :lol

Oh and thanks for the blue orb location guide I would have never found some of those.

hteng

Banned
Ganondorfo said:
That battle against

he has two moves that will suck your life

first one is a grab move. You'll see his hand glowing and then will charge at you, if you happened to be grabbed, quickly hit DT to break out of his grasp.

second one is the "Time to die" move, this is relatively easy to spot, quickly air rave/aerial combo him to knock him out.

He is pretty fucking cheap in DMD, he does the "Time to die" move almost right after he summons his pets (which makes it hard to target) and the move has a faster charge compare to other modes.

hteng

Banned
MiamiWesker said:
Berial in Bloody Palace with Dante is kicking my ass, what the hell kind of difficulty is it on. I see someone else is with me on that one. :lol

Oh and thanks for the blue orb location guide I would have never found some of those.

Its somewhere between SoS and DMD, his stamina is obviously from SoS, his AI is slightly more aggressive than SoS but still manageable.

C- Warrior said:
Dante has depth, but Nero has approachable depth for average players.

Also, I'm not talking about throwing enemies, I'm talking about the whole picture. The grappling, the pulling, the environment interaction, the ability to chain throws, using it as a shield etc., all these avenues I think Capcom found their golden ticket to explore and expand with in future DMC games.

Dante's days are over, his multi-weapon ass kicking just isn't awe-striking anymore. It's in-depth, it's tactically cool, it's fun - sure. But DMC1 had instant weapon changing. Going from your pistols to your sword, DMC3 and DMC4 (dante segment) simply expand that to supreme heights, but the concept was there since DMC1.

Nero and his game mechanics are different, and I think after seeing how DMC4 seem to be a success (if a hardcore game on PS3 can do well in Japan, Europe and NA are in the bag) -- I think Capcom is going to either stick with Nero, or superimpose Nero's devil arm mechanic onto Dante.

I'm calling it now.

Personally, they should just start a new franchise called Nero. And let Devil May Cry take a rest a little bit. I say this because no other action game offers the free-form ass kicking control that Dante did in DMC3 and DMC4, but it seems people don't appreciate it anymore because they expect a DMC game to have that. I think it's time to wait on DMC5, while expand Nero with his new series.

I feel like the style system in conjunction with weapon switching in DMC3 was one of the biggest improvements over a previous game in any sequel. The jump from DMC1 to DMC3 in my eyes was incredible, DMC3 had me blown away at how much I can do, I wanted to play the game over and over just to try out all styles. Nero is a big change but i don't feel its anything like going from DMC1 to DMC3. I am not in awe of Nero, I was in awe of Dante in DMC3, and I kind of still am (Pandora, I love you). DMC4 to me feels like a refinement of the entire series, easily the most polished gameplay wise.

But I agree with you on the average player, I think they are going to like Nero more.

Bebpo said:

I do love the knights, great enemy for both characters. Took me awile to get a good strategy with Dante but then I found a few. One is to use lucifer on the Knights just barrage them with spikes and insta death, its awesome to watch when you ignite the spikes.

burgerdog said:
It felt extremely easier in SoS for me, all because of snatch.
I meant in a fun to play/watch kind of way. I played it very acrobatically, and Dante/Nero's evasive and offensive animations just blend together perfectly.

I'm having a lot of trouble getting good at this game. I seem to be making it by with average scores each level, but it still hasn't clicked for me yet. Being pretty good at NG hasn't done me many favors with this game.

hteng

Banned
burgerdog said:
It felt extremely easier in SoS for me, all because of snatch.

Help with mission 3 fragment. http://bp3.blogger.com/_mmlC6YEZayU/R6lS3WszE4I/AAAAAAAAAUQ/DR_Z1sLrt3w/s400/dmc4_bo02_3.jpg

Everytime I do it I fall short.

jump inside, dont jump outside
if you still cant get to it, try doing a air spin (which gives you a bit air time) then air hike to the platform

Also, in that same area, there is another blue fragment, that one is even harder to get, there's a post in this thread that has guide to all orbs, read it up

I have to ask, why isn't there auto save in this game. I was on the boss fight in mission 10 when my 360 got a disc read error and now i have to load up the save at the beginning of mission 8. The pain in my hands certainly makes me cry.

Edit: On the bright side i get to fight
Credo
again.

Zzoram

Lostconfused said:
I have to ask, why isn't there auto save in this game. I was on the boss fight in mission 10 when my 360 got a disc read error and now i have to load up the save at the beginning of mission 8. The pain in my hands certainly makes me cry.

Edit: On the bright side i get to fight
Credo
again.

DRE? I'd be scared.

Zzoram said:
DRE? I'd be scared.

Nah, my first 360 got disc read errors for half a year before it finally kicked the bucket. This one has been giving me disc read errors a month after i got it. I just forgot to religiously save since its been a while that i played on it.

Ashhong

fucking shit. the knights are hard to kill. im on 10 i think after the security laser grid, and the knights just all charge me at once. it's crazy. and those ghosts things are annoying. am i right in assuming you have to do a regular "O" attack on them over and over until they become a skeleton?

also, i had trouble in secret room...6 i think, the one right after the laser grid. which one is a scarecrow and which ones the Chimera? i figured maybe i was supposed to protect the thing that appeared, but like 20 something creatures attack it, wtf?!

Zzoram

Lostconfused said:
Nah, my first 360 got disc read errors for half a year before it finally kicked the bucket. This one has been giving me disc read errors a month after i got it. I just forgot to religiously save since its been a while that i played on it.

I've had 1 RRoD, no DREs. I do however get tons of DREs with my Wii which I still haven't sent in for repairs yet. I really hope the 360 doesn't get DRE, since it's not covered under that 3 year warranty.

Zzoram

Ashhong said:
fucking shit. the knights are hard to kill. im on 10 i think after the security laser grid, and the knights just all charge me at once. it's crazy. and those ghosts things are annoying. am i right in assuming you have to do a regular "O" attack on them over and over until they become a skeleton?

also, i had trouble in secret room...6 i think, the one right after the laser grid. which one is a scarecrow and which ones the Chimera? i figured maybe i was supposed to protect the thing that appeared, but like 20 something creatures attack it, wtf?!

for the ghost things, i find that shooting them a lot with your gun also drops their cloak

Zzoram said:
I've had 1 RRoD, no DREs. I do however get tons of DREs with my Wii which I still haven't sent in for repairs yet. I really hope the 360 doesn't get DRE, since it's not covered under that 3 year warranty.

At that point in time you get it to red ring, since mine is a refurb of a rather old unit i should be able to pull that off and still get the 3 year warranty.
Ashhong said:

You can just snatch at them, they should loose the clock after you do it 3 times.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So I beat it.

Looking at the ending, I'd say DMC5 is going to be coop demon hunting with one player playing Nero and throwing demons up to Dante to own with sword master. :D

Devil May Cry is taking on a new employee.

And Kyrie is a dude.

lolol at the motivational speech at the end

Fuck awesome game, fuck awesome DMC. Definitely my favorite DMC. I really ended up liking Nero. Awesome art, awesome enemies, the combat system is as good as ever. Hilarious Dante. The jumping puzzles didn't bug me too much, but Capcom needs to overhaul the controls if they want to keep this up. :D

Awesome awesome game. 9/10

Can anyone cap a pic of Dante,
Trish, and Lady
in the ending for me?

Singho

Well just finished it on Devil Hunter about 2 hours ago. Just had a bite to eat and chilled out while I mulled over what I thought of the game, and I am in 2 minds. Best way to describe what I'm thinking is by breaking it into 2 parts. The good things for one may also be considered BAD by the other side, so it's dependant on this basically.

1) Those who've played Devil May Cry 3
2) Those that have not played DMC3

I was gonna post two different impression based on both the above, but I'll leave it for now. For those that have played the DMC3 to more then just a casual level, you will be dissapointed. For those that have not played it or didn't really give it much time, you will probably love DMC4 more then the above, but at the same time have some of the same complaints. (character moves and development not included obv in that opinion.)

I'm both happy and dissapointed in the game in almost equal parts. Instead of boring folk with a long ass post no one will want to read, here are my thoughts for now...in bullet point form.

The Good

* Great cutscenes and a decent story. Some really funny and cool moments that I will be watching every now and again for a laugh. Dante had 2 or 3 moments which made me "Nelson" HA HA laugh.

* Cool music, I like the "Never Surrender" and the Nero's battle theme alot.

* Some decent boss encounters and a few quirky characters. AGNUS FTW!...he's no Jester though. ;p

*Nero is good. Not as complicated as Dante or Vergil in DMC3, really easy to get to grips with and has a more then enough combos, moves and skank to experiment to keep people happy. I like Nero, the Devil Arm itself is just so fun to use against grunts and bosses. I got so used to it that I almost missed it when I got to controlling Dante. :p Still got a few extra bits to power up Nero with which will let me make better and varied combos (Enemy Step, you will be mine!).

*Leaderboards and Achievments: Making it even more addictive to go through levels and get a better score.

The BAD

*Absolute shameless re-use of bosses 3 TIMES. Twice with Nero (First time through and a boss rush) and once through with Dante. Fun to fight with both...but still.

*lack of audio cues for enemy attacks. If they are off screen, it's probably too late to react or dodge them if you didn't actually see them coming for you, and even thats not gauranteed if you do. Big thing this, messed up my combos and style bar so much because I didn't know I was gonna get attacked. Nothing like DMC3.
* Some crap dice rolling sections. Appearing once was enough really, but it appears twice! When Dante got to it though, he sliced the dice in half and carried on. I chuckled at that and thought I was in on a private joke with Capcom "Yeah, we know that part was shit really".

Then they go and add it towards the end of Mission 19, only this time they've tagged a boss fight to each floor you complete. If you land on the red markers (which you will!) and took a beating before you some how manage to get to face the boss, you are dead. It's not random, if you hit the dice while the amount of move spaces you want at the top...but you have to be quick and it's just too tedious. Especially if you fail to get the number you want a few times.

*Backtracking: I didn't mind this much, but what I did mind was having to go back through all the levels I did with Nero in reverse order with Dante. Nothing really memorable about how the levels changed or any different encounters. The baddies felt more fun to beat with Nero because of the use of his arm to grab and throw enemies. Dante is pure melee and gun attacks. The only thing that saved this was looking forward to what Dante would do or say in the next cutscene.

Wasn't shit to play, but lazy compared to DMC3 locales and areas wise.

Dante

*For people new to the series or played DMC3 briefly or just to see the story...he rocks.

*Everyone else who played DMC3 to more then a "casual" level (hate that word), Dante put simply is wrecked. I didn't want to believe reports that he was, but even me, someone who loved and played DMC3 but wasn't that hardcore into learning everything can see it. Still has a lot of things you can do with him but overall for every one good thing they've given him, they've taken away 5 or just messed it up.

Dante has access to all the Devil Arms...wait thats great! No it aint. :( Before even getting onto the Devil Arms, they way you select them has ruined the balance and thought you could put into combos and mixing things up in DMC3. Agni and Rudra and Cereberus in DMC3 were my fave to use as a combo.

Now to select between those two, you just tapped R2 to flip between them remember? Well, in DMC4 you have to scroll through every single weapon you collect so you can't simply change from one to another quickly. I didn't even think this would be a major issue untill I decided to use Lucifer (load of rubbish, more on this later) and Rebellion in a combo, because I wanted to. Launched with Rebellion, went to select Lucifer mid air...oh no I can't, it's 3 or 4 clicks away of the RT. Ah, too late enemy fallen down, cant tag that move onto him.

I don't want to bore people with a long post, but imo, overall the weapons Dante gets are not as satisying to use as those in DMC3. I just ended up sticking to Rebellion and switching between the styles. They look really cool and were good to use for a quick blast, but pointless if they are not even half the fun to use as the Arms in DMC3.

Pandora's box. Dissapointment total. (Still need to max it to lvl 3, but im not expecting much). Lucifer, poor man's Vergil blade summons. Only real fun I had with it was with Trickster. Target, dash, fill fools up in the air, drop down and spam forward and attack, set the explosion off.

After using Yamoto and Lucifer with Dante, **** it, I'm goin back to DMC3 soon to see if I can tame the beast that is Vergil.

I don't regret the purchase but I was expecting somthing better then DMC3. As it was the same team and the fight engine for Dante was meant to be more or less the same. ( Turns out to actually be less...) If you are a fan you STILL can't afford to miss this and if you are new, you can't have picked a better game to start the series with.

Despite all the bad things I've come across, I still enjoyed it, honest! :D Plenty to keep me occupied with getting S Ranks and trying out the harder difficulties and maxing out both characters. Just unlocked Bloody Palace which should be fun!

"Ha ha! It's got wings!"

Narag

Actually you should never hit red unless you just want to fight stuff. The dice game isn't random if you know what you're doing.

Pandora is damn hot when upgraded with a full disaster gauge and Gunslinger too!

Mamesj

Banned
oh my fuck...just spent an hour and a half in mission 6 in SOS. good thing you can just retry instead of continuing and getting penalties.

That's the last time I go through the dice game without looking up the trick first :lol I think I came out of it a better DMC player though (and I ranked around 310 on live, woot.)

Dizzle24

Just finished the game yesterday. Fucking awesome.

So did we conclude how Nero is related to Sparda?
Result of a one night stand with some random woman?
Because the whole "descendant of Sparda" thing is quite vague...so they hopefully clear it up in the next game.

Also, when Dante obtains
Yamato, I really thought the movement he makes when switching to Dark Slayer style was fucking awesome, since it was a nod to Vergil, with the whole "slicking his hair back" thing.

I can't wait to complete this again and again on each difficulty mode. :D

hteng

Banned
Ashhong said:

For the ghosts or mephistos, you can use devil bringer or snatch or normal shoots(not effective) or charge shoots to strip their cloaks. Level 3 charge shoot can strip them completely in one shoot.

As for secret mission 6, the scarecrow is the puppet in the middle. You'll need to defeat credo and get the ability to hold an enemy. Now as the mission starts, quickly grab the scarecrow in the middle, hold it and take it as far away as possible (to the right side). The chimeras will stop chasing if they loss sight of the scarecrow, then you can proceed to take them out one by one.

Top Bottom