• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I wonder if it would be too much for Capcom to remake DMC3 using DMC4 graphics and implement the style system on the D-pad for Dante. DMC4 is awesome but DMC3 with DMC4 graphics would be a ton better. Well I can hope.

MiamiWesker said:
You guys on the 360 probably have such easier leader boards, the PS3 leader boards is filled with insane Japanese scores.

Well look at all of those awesome videos on youtube, it is no surprise.

Singho

360 version is dominated by Japanese players too Miamiwesker.

neojubei said:
I wonder if it would be too much for Capcom to remake DMC3 using DMC4 graphics and implement the style system on the D-pad for Dante. DMC4 is awesome but DMC3 with DMC4 graphics would be a ton better. Well I can hope.

DLC Vergil & Dante DMC3 please Capcom. Bending over as I type.

Anyway, had a quick go on Bloody Palace with Dante, Lucifer in Sword Master is a lot more interesting. I take back the poor man's Vergil blades comment for now.

Agreed with the above poster about Yamoto. I love that sound effect. *BoooUUoM*

Zzoram said:
Any tips for
The lvl 9 Agnus fight?

This is a pretty cool fight.
Best thing to do is wear him down a little with those flying sword things. Snatch them, then buster them back into Agnus's face. Get close to him by snatching and get your hits in the air or on the ground if you can.

He has a move where he slashes twice which is easy to avoid, but the best tip I can give you without going into too much detail, is when he summons things from the glowing ring behind him, snatch and activate your Devil Trigger and attack him in mid air. This will destroy whats coming out of the the portal and hit him at the same time. You should get the white crystals which will fill your DT up again in no time, so don't worry.

The only thing you have to worry about from the portal is fireballs, so if you see just blank holes in the portal, run back and just double jump out the way.

When he starts whimpering, hit him a few times and then activate DT hit him a bit again and then go into the throw. DMC4 with Nero is more less finding out when and where you can get a stagger animation with Nero and then get a throw in.

Repeat that, you should be fine. When those shark tihngs come though, take things easy. Stand back and shoot them or let them go away, and when Agnus spins with them just get as far away as possible and keep jumping and rolling. Repeat the above to kill him.

When he says "You are going to die" you can knock him out of that desperation move, just stay on his ass and DT his ass down.

Narag

MiamiWesker said:
You guys on the 360 probably have such easier leader boards, the PS3 leader boards is filled with insane Japanese scores.

Post some of the top and we can compare! act m peer on XBL is all over the board and had completed Hell or Hell too according to his achievements.

sprocket

Banned
ok beat it on devil trigger going back through on human to collect pride ... one thng i have notice in stage 2.

after you get by the the big red orb crystal you can jump up to the roofs to get a blue orb.. the next little area with a water tower has my arm glowing but i cant find anything there.

Narag

sprocket said:
ok beat it on devil trigger going back through on human to collect pride ... one thng i have notice in stage 2.

after you get by the the big red orb crystal you can jump up to the roofs to get a blue orb.. the next little area with a water tower has my arm glowing but i cant find anything there.

Jump into the tower then on the roof of the tower for what you're looking for.

a Master Ninja said:
Is Gloria
wearing panties
?

All signs point to no.

Did anyone get the secret ending?

That was badass.

PS: how long did it take for you guys to realize you were supposed to counter the left arm on the end boss.

Narag

C- Warrior said:

That was badass.

PS: how long did it take for you guys to realize you were supposed to counter the left arm on the end boss.

Yup and like a good 10 minutes :(

Narag said:
Yup and like a good 10 minutes :(

It's actually quite interesting -- the secret ending is better than the actual ending.

I hope most people end up seeing it -- since it's pretty badass.

I don't know, you guys think it was relatively obvious as to what to do during the credits? I only knew what to do because I skimmed over a spoiler about it yesterday.

Ashhong

hteng said:
For the ghosts or mephistos, you can use devil bringer or snatch or normal shoots(not effective) or charge shoots to strip their cloaks. Level 3 charge shoot can strip them completely in one shoot.

As for secret mission 6, the scarecrow is the puppet in the middle. You'll need to defeat credo and get the ability to hold an enemy. Now as the mission starts, quickly grab the scarecrow in the middle, hold it and take it as far away as possible (to the right side). The chimeras will stop chasing if they loss sight of the scarecrow, then you can proceed to take them out one by one.

oooh damn, i forgot i had that hold move. i was thinking in the mission, man, if only i had that hold move that i read about. now i need to go back. thanks

and its weird that you guys are recommending regular shots and devil bringer for those ghosts. when i do those, it just looks like they have 0 effect. doing the uppercut standard O move actually looks like it hurt them.

I want to do a little comparison between all DMC games, here are my rankings:

Gameplay / Mechanics:

DMC4 > DMC3 > DMC1

The inclusion of two different characters that play very differently gives the edge to 4. Plus Dante is basically the same as in DMC3 but with style switching so its a bit improved.

Overall combat:

DMC3 > DMC4 > DMC1

I know its kind of like the gameplay category but even though I think DMC4 offers more refined mechancs DMC3 does a better job of using the combat. DMC3 is design purely to explore the incredible depth of the action.

Weapons:

DMC3 > DMC4 > DMC1

DMC4 cannot match DMC3 awesome arsenal of weapons, no matter how you liked to play there was something for you.

Lesser enemies:

DMC1 > DMC4 > DMC3

I still think DMC1 had the best collection of regular enemies in the series, all unique and each had a bunch of moves. Is there any regular enemy harder than a shadow, nope. DMC4 had DMC1 style enemies so it gets the nod over 3 which mostly had boring enemies to beat up on.

Bosses:

DMC3 > DMC1 > DMC4

DMC3 easily has the best and most boss fights in the series, that is an easy choice. I choose DMC1 second cause it had some great bosses and even though you fight some repeatedly they are different the following times, can't say the same for DMC4. Also DMC1 final boss is better than DMC4.

Level design:

DMC1 > DMC4 > DMC3

DMC1 I think still has the best game world, it was well thought out, some backtracking but not a crazy amount. DMC4 takes you through a bunch of areas too but then it takes you back through them all again. Still beats DMC3 which I found dull in terms of locations.

"Puzzles":

DMC4 > DMC1 > DMC3

DMC4 does the best of all of them in creating something to do other than fight. Its got mazes, platforming sections, block moving, its not great but its something.

Innovation:

DMC1 > DMC3 > DMC4

When DMC came out there was nothing like it. Most of the 3D action games of today owe it to DMC for showing them how to make an action game work in 3D. DMC3 took the DMC gameplay to new heights with the style system. DMC4 is more of a refinement of both DMC and DMC3.

Storyline:

DMC3 > DMC4 > DMC1

DMC3 has the best story cause of Dante and Vergil. DMC4 and DMC1 are on the same level but I put DMC4 ahead cause its a bit more fleshed out and Dante is awesome in it.

Best Dante personality:

DMC4 > DMC1 > DMC3

I like Dante most in DMC4, he is more confident than ever and is just a total badass. DMC1 he was also kickass but had that terrible line at the end. In DMC3 he was a punk, didn't care for his character much.

Overall Game:

DMC3 > DMC4 > DMC1

I still think DMC3 is the best in the series, the action is unmatched with so many ways to play the game. DMC4 is a great mix of what DMC3 was lacking in terms of level design with what worked in DMC1 but the backtracking and not giving Dante anything unqiue hurt it overall.

C- Warrior said:
It's actually quite interesting -- the secret ending is better than the actual ending.

I hope most people end up seeing it -- since it's pretty badass.

I don't know, you guys think it was relatively obvious as to what to do during the credits? I only knew what to do because I skimmed over a spoiler about it yesterday.

There is a what? How? Huh?

Narag

The first ending was pretty nice as it served to bookend the story of the game, the other was great and was geared entirely for the fanbase, I'd think, as they'd be expected to know what to do. I had an idea what to do since DMC3 had a similiar credits roll. Were 1 & 2 that way too?

And should I feel dirty for liking the anime? :lol Its not that good but honestly neither story in the 2 DMC games I've played (3 & 4) would be all that interesting without the player's role of moving the story along.

Narag said:
The first ending was pretty nice as it served to bookend the story of the game, the other was great and was geared entirely for the fanbase, I'd think, as they'd be expected to know what to do. I had an idea what to do since DMC3 had a similiar credits roll. Were 1 & 2 that way too?

And should I feel dirty for liking the anime? :lol Its not that good but honestly neither story in the 2 DMC games I've played (3 & 4) would be all that interesting without the player's role of moving the story along.

Oh you mean that
Dante with Trish and Lady was a secret ending? I got that on my first try, I though you guys were talking about something else. How do you get it, I just got it.

EDIT: Nevermind you answered my question.

KGKK

Banned
Secret.....ending????!!!! Nooo, I didn't even realize you were suppose to protect the damn goody-two chick. I figured it was like DMC3's ending and was trying to kick as much ass as I can. Anybody got a link to the secret ending?

JoeFenix

This game is so fucking good, Nero's exceed system is addicting!

Ranked 17 worldwide in Devil Hunter overall on XBL. I like it just as much as dmc 3!

Evryone should experience this game, so good! :D

Darkpen

Banned
Narag said:
no, its not a bad thing for liking the anime. I actually watched the entirety of the anime series two days before DMC4 came out, and I have to say I liked it for what it was worth. You hear so many people say its terrible, like a movie franchise game or something, and its really not that bad. I mean, yeah, its not brilliant, but still enjoyable.

If anything though, I don't like the English dub at all; not only is Dante the ONLY returning voice actor, but it sounds like he's trying too hard, or not hard enough. If anything, the anime's Dante is the DMC1 & 2 Dante, not the funkier 3 & 4 Dante, and the Japanese VA shows as much.

Anyways, though, cool bit of trivia: Morrison's JP VA is Akio Ohtsuka, aka Solid Snake, lol

Darkpen

Banned
C- Warrior said:

That was badass.

I had to go to gamespot's guide >_>;;

KGKK

Banned
Darkpen said:
no, its not a bad thing for liking the anime. I actually watched the entirety of the anime series two days before DMC4 came out, and I have to say I liked it for what it was worth. You hear so many people say its terrible, like a movie franchise game or something, and its really not that bad. I mean, yeah, its not brilliant, but still enjoyable.

If anything though, I don't like the English dub at all; not only is Dante the ONLY returning voice actor, but it sounds like he's trying too hard, or not hard enough. If anything, the anime's Dante is the DMC1 & 2 Dante, not the funkier 3 & 4 Dante, and the Japanese VA shows as much.

Anyways, though, cool bit of trivia: Morrison's JP VA is Akio Ohtsuka, aka Solid Snake, lol

Arooo? In the anime he is not the over the top, full of cheese, LOL LOL!! everything is too easy for me Dante? Well guess I ain't watching then.

It's hard tearing myself away from this. Eye fatigue finally did it. I'll probably end up spending more time with this than DMC3SE, which I played for like 40 hours.

I'm working a combo video for this game, but I'm not sure how I'll capture the video. Has anyone made a good video like Hell Sloth yet?

Damn. I'm having a tough time on the final boss. Every time I break the shield, He flees like a bitch and I can't stun him. I did it after the first shield break.... but that's it. Any tips?

Wow, Gilgamesh has got to be one of the best weapons in a videogame. ever.

Oh and WTF @ Dante being wrecked :lol. It felt irritating to change from Nero to Him (since you spend so much time trying to IR and using the Devil Bringer, but with some practice the gameplay is at its best.

I'm right now at mission 16. Could have completed the game before but I'm replaying a lot of the earlier missions for orbs and as a way to try out all the skills I buy.

Oh and so quick comment about gloria:
knowing that she is Trish makes me wish Capcom had made her a playable character. Changing from one personality to the other to mix gunning with melee attacks sounds good to me

hteng

Banned
MoonsaultSlayer said:
Damn. I'm having a tough time on the final boss. Every time I break the shield, He flees like a bitch and I can't stun him. I did it after the first shield break.... but that's it. Any tips?

which mode are you in? He should be the same as he was in stage 11. The place isn't big so you can just run under him fairly easy. If he says "repent!" then he'll use the shockwaves, that'll be your chance to jump up and combo him. At some point after breaking his barriers he'll come from below, just jump up and helm breaker him, do a combo and you'll stun him.

MoonsaultSlayer said:

just run towards him, don't use snatch. you can see what move he's doing based on how he charges up so if he shoots fireballs, move, otherwise jump at him and hit him again.

Lince

Banned
just beat miss.7 and 8, oh man Uncharted really spoiled the forest area in DMC4, looks awful with shadow popping everywhere and slowdown ahoy, I don't know if that's the same in the 360 version though.

Danielsan

Could someone give me some pointers on how to do secret mission 3? I know you have to buster grab your enemies and use them as a shield but the scarecrows end up dying rather quickly and the frosts escape from Nero's grasp after a couple of seconds.

Has anyone posted a video of a elite player in control of Dante yet? I loved watching the old DMC3 combo videos, I'd love to see the DMC4 equivalent.

Lince said:
just beat miss.7 and 8, oh man Uncharted really spoiled the forest area in DMC4, looks awful with shadow popping everywhere and slowdown ahoy, I don't know if that's the same in the 360 version though.

On the 360, there is minor tearing in pretty much the same spots you get slowdown in the PS3. But tearing aside framerate is MUCH smoother all the way throughout. I've been reading that the PS3 version is supposed to be better in this area, I'm glad I stuck to my guns and got the 360 version. Capcom really need to get their act together on the PS3. The slowdowns and graphical hitches on a machine as powerful as the PS3 is unacceptable.

If there are people here still deciding on which version to get, I think the 360 version is the one to get. There's none of that stupid LCD like motion blur you get on the PS3, GFX are sharper and smoother and loading times are practically identical. And what happened to the lossless PCM audio option on the PS3 Capcom? You lied to us!

Sure the DS3 is a better controller than the 360 pad in regular play, but switch to a lighter (preferably old and used), wired 360 controller and play using a high level style play where you map the gun button to RB (so you can charge while attacking) and the differences are moot. I'd even go so far to say that my 360 wired pad triggers are arguably superior than the DS3. :) Revving is easier and charging gun attacks while locking on is easier, due to the shape of the pad. My hands were cramping when I used the regular 360 controller, but not with the wired. There you go. I had to get it off my chest.

The 360 version of DMC4 is technically the superior version. 1UP got it wrong, my friends got it wrong, a lot of folks in this thread got it wrong. I for once got it right. And yes I'm pretty chuffed. :lol

MoonsaultSlayer said:

Don't be afraid to use a holy water.

Kyoufu

Just got Dante, and immediately tried Instant-Revving lol. Its funny how more challenging some enemies are now that I can't buster them. Can't wait to unlock all the Devil Arms. Dante is awesomesauce.

Does anybody know how to get Dark Slayer or is it totally random? I got it once while I was in S style and twice during the fights with Agnus and Sanctus, both while having no style.

It's pretty awesome. Makes combos look so pretty.

burgerdog

akachan ningen said:
Does anybody know how to get Dark Slayer or is it totally random? I got it once while I was in S style and twice during the fights with Agnus and Sanctus, both while having no style.

It's pretty awesome. Makes combos look so pretty.

You're told how to do it when you fight the
savior statue
. Anyway, just press the D-pad again in the direction of your current style.

RyuHayate

Beat the game last night! Great stuff.

The Sanctus was a bitch to put down, though. I had no idea I was so supposed to go to town on him after he was finished with his berserk thrusts. It took me the longest time to figure out that I had to hit him while he was forming his bubble shield again.

As for the ending,
I thought it was pretty cool despite the fact that we never find out exactly how Nero is a descendant of Sparda and how he got the DB in the first place. That was pretty disappointing.

Bloody Palace here I come! :D

deepbrown

memecomplex said:
On the 360, there is minor tearing in pretty much the same spots you get slowdown in the PS3. But tearing aside framerate is MUCH smoother all the way throughout. I've been reading that the PS3 version is supposed to be better in this area, I'm glad I stuck to my guns and got the 360 version. Capcom really need to get their act together on the PS3. The slowdowns and graphical hitches on a machine as powerful as the PS3 is unacceptable.

If there are people here still deciding on which version to get, I think the 360 version is the one to get. There's none of that stupid LCD like motion blur you get on the PS3, GFX are sharper and smoother and loading times are practically identical. And what happened to the lossless PCM audio option on the PS3 Capcom? You lied to us!

Sure the DS3 is a better controller than the 360 pad in regular play, but switch to a lighter (preferably old and used), wired 360 controller and play using a high level style play where you map the gun button to RB (so you can charge while attacking) and the differences are moot. I'd even go so far to say that my 360 wired pad triggers are arguably superior than the DS3. :) Revving is easier and charging gun attacks while locking on is easier, due to the shape of the pad. My hands were cramping when I used the regular 360 controller, but not with the wired. There you go. I had to get it off my chest.

The 360 version of DMC4 is technically the superior version. 1UP got it wrong, my friends got it wrong, a lot of folks in this thread got it wrong. I for once got it right. And yes I'm pretty chuffed. :lol

Huh? What are you talking about?

Alright Final Boss, Can't touch the guy, I need help.

I've destroyed most of his crystals, now he makes some other attacks like 3 balls of fire and one mega attack, but whatever I throw at him like projectiles seem to stop right by the invisible barrier...

Help me out here. I ain't got anymore holy water too.

Thanks.

The Bookerman said:
Alright Final Boss, Can't touch the guy, I need help.

I've destroyed most of his crystals, now he makes some other attacks like 3 balls of fire and one mega attack, but whatever I throw at him like projectiles seem to stop right by the invisible barrier...

Help me out here. I ain't got anymore holy water too.

Thanks.

He only has one crystal left. Use the cannons or lasers on one of the platforms to knock him on his ass, then jump towards him and smash his chest with your sword. Remember to DT.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
C- Warrior said:
Dante's days are over, his multi-weapon ass kicking just isn't awe-striking anymore. It's in-depth, it's tactically cool, it's fun - sure. But DMC1 had instant weapon changing. Going from your pistols to your sword, DMC3 and DMC4 (dante segment) simply expand that to supreme heights, but the concept was there since DMC1.

o_O

Top Bottom