• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

[Nintex]

Each time I start the game I get the message:
"Colors will not display correctly"
I'm using a Snakebyte VGA cable for the Xbox 360 so perhaps that is the problem.

I don't see any difference between screenshots in mags and the image I get on screen. I think it's just some random message that appears when you use a VGA cable or something.

Aurora

[Nintex] said:
I'm using a Snakebyte VGA cable for the Xbox 360 so perhaps that is the problem.

I don't see any difference between screenshots in mags and the image I get on screen. I think it's just some random message that appears when you use a VGA cable or something.
I get the same message using a VGA cable so you're probably right.

deepbrown

[Nintex] said:

It shows it to everyone...it's just telling you to calibrate your TV for the game (ie. use the brightness tester in options.)

Dahbomb

Yeah I am not going to fucking touch this "Nero > Dante" game play debate at all. Both sides have their merits but it's going to lead into a huge mess if I enter into the fray. Seriously...

Oh and FINALLY got to Dante.... Dante OWNS!!!! I haven't acquired new weapons but I am using the time to wrap my head around the OTF style switches. It's taking some time but I will get used to it. I am on like Mission#14.
Dante's days are over, his multi-weapon ass kicking just isn't awe-striking anymore. It's in-depth, it's tactically cool, it's fun - sure. But DMC1 had instant weapon changing. Going from your pistols to your sword, DMC3 and DMC4 (dante segment) simply expand that to supreme heights, but the concept was there since DMC1.
This has to be a joke post right? :lol

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Dahbomb said:
This has to be a joke post right? :lol

I'm not touching the gun to sword bit, but, he's right about the concept being there. You could switch from Alastor to Ifrit, whenever you wanted. The only exception was that Dante was left open for a brief period of time during the "style switch". My memory is a bit hazy, but, I think Dante could get the shit knocked out of him by any random enemy, and it would knock out the change. The animation for it was kind of lengthy. Of course, whenever you switched weapons, you changed the DT as well.

As for the guns...I didn't think that you could. lol

edit: Its around 1:30 in this vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEU-PAyo8_k

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Oh, there are checkpoints in this game?

I just used a bit too much items on a boss cause I thought I had to play the entire level again if I didn't beat him :/

Dahbomb

Oldschoolgamer said:
I'm not touching the gun to sword bit, but, he's right about the concept being there. You could switch from Alastor to Ifrit, whenever you wanted. The only exception was that Dante was left open for a brief period of time during the "style switch". My memory is a bit hazy, but, I think Dante could get the shit knocked out of him by any random enemy, and it would knock out the change. The animation for it was kind of lengthy. Of course, whenever you switched weapons, you changed the DT as well.

As for the guns...I didn't think that you could. lol
I already knew about it, you do it with R3.

However it's not on the fly. You can't do it in mid-air or mid-combo, and you are left open like you said. The mechanic that was in DMC3 completely dismisses the old mechanic as being archaic. The old DMC1 switch is as relevant as NG2's weapon switching...

And you can't switch between Ifrit and Alastor while in DT.

The concept of weapon switching is irrelevant, it's the delivery of it. That's like saying "the concept of grappling was in DMC3 as well" because it was, one of Kalina Ann's move was that it threw a grappling hook at the enemy and brought it back to you. That doesn't mean it was a very good mechanic UNLIKE Snatch which is god-like in DMC4. It's the full realization of a mechanic that counts not who had it first.

DMC4's combat for Dante makes DMC3's combat irrelevant. I can't imagine playing DMC3 because I can't deal with having to change Styles at specific points in the mission. In fact, in DMC4 all of your combat options are available to you without the need of a pause/equip screen. Yes DMC3 Dante had Crazy Combos and some additional weapons but the mechanics placed in DMC4 make the combat more realized than ever. It's just a shame that Dante got the treatment that he did in DMC4, he should've been the star. Oh well... you can't have it all.

Oldschoolgamer

Dahbomb said:
I already knew about it, you do it with R3.

However it's not on the fly. You can't do it in mid-air or mid-combo, and you are left open like you said. The mechanic that was in DMC3 completely dismisses the old mechanic as being archaic. The old DMC1 switch is as relevant as NG2's weapon switching...

And you can't switch between Ifrit and Alastor while in DT.

I didn't say you could switch between them in DT. Also, even if it is a touch Archaic, it balanced out Dante a bit, and didn't make him so damn overpowered. Even in its basic form, it is what it was. If you ask me, Dante in DMC1 is the most balanced version of him, in all of the games. Then too, I'm just basing this on videos and stuff of DMC4. I've yet to touch it. But, after 2 & 3, thats exactly how I feel.

The concept of weapon switching is irrelevant, it's the delivery of it. That's like saying "the concept of grappling was in DMC3 as well" because it was, one of Kalina Ann's move was that it threw a grappling hook at the enemy and brought it back to you. That doesn't mean it was a very good mechanic UNLIKE Snatch which is god-like in DMC4. It's the full realization of a mechanic that counts not who had it first.

Well, I would say it was realized then, even in its most basic concept form. The only change was to make it on the fly, and offer no penalty for it. Dante totally outclasses enemies now, and its evident in DMC3 & 4. It looks cool as shit, and offers a plethora of options, but, the sacrifice is that Dante is "Jesus with a gun".

You are right though. Concepts are concepts. Doesn't really matter who had them first, but, whom made them better. If we just used concepts, then, I could trace a lot of stuff straight back to Onimusha. heh.

DMC4's combat for Dante makes DMC3's combat irrelevant. I can't imagine playing DMC3 because I can't deal with having to change Styles at specific points in the mission. In fact, in DMC4 all of your combat options are available to you without the need of a pause/equip screen. Yes DMC3 Dante had Crazy Combos and some additional weapons but the mechanics placed in DMC4 make the combat more realized than ever. It's just a shame that Dante got the treatment that he did in DMC4, he should've been the star. Oh well... you can't have it all.

Eh. I'm damn glad he wasn't the star of the game. In every single video/walkthrough/combo vid/stream of it being played, he destroys every enemy in the game, because his options are limitless. He's perfect. Of course, if they made the enemy types with a bit more creativity, and like the ones in DMC1 (for god's sake...do this...), then it would balance it out. I've yet to see where they are going to though....

Dahbomb

I haven't seen any DMD vids of Dante in DMC4, I have only seen of Nero. Right now I am seeing Nero as the character who is more overpowered in DMC4. His shots coming out of Blue Rose at lv.3 causes massive crowd damage and guard breaks. His DT just rapes bosses and enemies a like. And once the player gets a hold of Exceed, it's just a world of hurt for the enemies even if they are DT'd.

I think they both have the options that they need to compete on the highest difficulty level. And in the hands of a good player, DMC1 Dante was "jesus with a grenade gun" as well. Aside from the Shadows, most enemies in DMC1 could easily be dispatched by a limited number of strategic moves. In DMC3 and DMC4, you need to dish out the pain hard and fast so Dante has the options he needs to do just that.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Dante better be in some form (hopefully main character) in 5 or no buy.

its worth it only for the cutscenes alone, way more badass than Nero's. I like Nero but hes not even close to Dante in terms of crazyness.

was this already posted?

Gamesutra/Maxconsole said:
Capcom's Devil May Cry 4 seems to have got off to a flyer across regions worldwide. The Xbox 360 seems to have performed slightly better across the world as it secured the number one spot in Japan and number two spots in UK and North America. The PS3 achieved the same, but it was not in the UK's top five.

Wow, i really did expect it to sell better on PS3.

Dahbomb

I want in DMC5 for Nero to be possessed by Vergil, bust out the Yamato + Summoned Swords and use in conjunction with Red Queen and all of Nero's mechanics. Now that would be awesome and would make me instantly hyped for DMC5.

Also I would love if Nero's second arm got DB'd at well. Imagine grabbing two enemies, performing Buster at the same time and resulting in a Buster (like smacking two Scarecrows against each other for double damage to both!).

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The Xbox 360 seems to have performed slightly better across the world as it secured the number one spot in Japan

Wait what

Sandman42

Tiduz said:
Dante better be in some form (hopefully main character) in 5 or no buy.

its worth it only for the cutscenes alone, way more badass than Nero's. I like Nero but hes not even close to Dante in terms of crazyness.

Here is a solution for Capcom: make Devil May Cry 5 entirely playable with either Dante or Nero. Let's say they are together for the entire game and team up for some co-op action. Online Co-op Dante + Nero? Yes.

[Nintex]

deepbrown said:
It shows it to everyone...it's just telling you to calibrate your TV for the game (ie. use the brightness tester in options.)
Even when my brightness is at zero I still see the bars under the line. :lol

dalin80

Banned
iam very meh on it so far.

checkpoints a age apart, control scheme is a bit backwards to me and i think my gun is broke it seems to fire pillows at the enemy rather then do any actual damage.

i got disruptor for the psx at the same time and have played that more.

Oldschoolgamer

Dahbomb said:
I haven't seen any DMD vids of Dante in DMC4, I have only seen of Nero. Right now I am seeing Nero as the character who is more overpowered in DMC4. His shots coming out of Blue Rose at lv.3 causes massive crowd damage and guard breaks. His DT just rapes bosses and enemies a like. And once the player gets a hold of Exceed, it's just a world of hurt for the enemies even if they are DT'd.

No doubt. His lvl 3 mega buster is awesome and causes explosions and shit. Bosses getting destroyed in DMD, just because of his DT is a touch ridiculous. :lol

I think they both have the options that they need to compete on the highest difficulty level. And in the hands of a good player, DMC1 Dante was "jesus with a grenade gun" as well. Aside from the Shadows, most enemies in DMC1 could easily be dispatched by a limited number of strategic moves. In DMC3 and DMC4, you need to dish out the pain hard and fast so Dante has the options he needs to do just that.

Well, grenade canceling was only one mechanic, and the entire game wasn't based around "see how much flashy shit you can do". And, for the most part, the majority of the enemies had a means of disabling dante from all distances: either through movement or long ranged attacks, and that included the puppets. The ones in 2, 3, and 4...don't. You had to dish out the pain, hard and fast in DMC1, but, the enemies dished it out equally.

This is the same tired argument of time passed though, of which one was better. They should give DMC 5 a level down system. :O

tha_con

Banned
memecomplex said:
On the 360, there is minor tearing in pretty much the same spots you get slowdown in the PS3. But tearing aside framerate is MUCH smoother all the way throughout. I've been reading that the PS3 version is supposed to be better in this area, I'm glad I stuck to my guns and got the 360 version. Capcom really need to get their act together on the PS3. The slowdowns and graphical hitches on a machine as powerful as the PS3 is unacceptable.

If there are people here still deciding on which version to get, I think the 360 version is the one to get. There's none of that stupid LCD like motion blur you get on the PS3, GFX are sharper and smoother and loading times are practically identical. And what happened to the lossless PCM audio option on the PS3 Capcom? You lied to us!

Sure the DS3 is a better controller than the 360 pad in regular play, but switch to a lighter (preferably old and used), wired 360 controller and play using a high level style play where you map the gun button to RB (so you can charge while attacking) and the differences are moot. I'd even go so far to say that my 360 wired pad triggers are arguably superior than the DS3. :) Revving is easier and charging gun attacks while locking on is easier, due to the shape of the pad. My hands were cramping when I used the regular 360 controller, but not with the wired. There you go. I had to get it off my chest.

The 360 version of DMC4 is technically the superior version. 1UP got it wrong, my friends got it wrong, a lot of folks in this thread got it wrong. I for once got it right. And yes I'm pretty chuffed. :lol

Riiiight. You toot that imaginary trumpet, by golly, you've earned it.

Draft

The X360 controller isn't near the handicap some people make it out to be. Takes a little getting used to, but once you do, it's gravy. The last game I beat before jumping into DMC4 was DMC3 on PS2, and I do not feel like the X360 controller is holding me back compared to the DS2.

But anyway, who cares.

What is the best way to handle the electric demons with Nero? I was just cruising through SoS laying waste to all in my path, and then I got shutdown by the first electric guy.

Draft said:
The X360 controller isn't near the handicap some people make it out to be. Takes a little getting used to, but once you do, it's gravy. The last game I beat before jumping into DMC4 was DMC3 on PS2, and I do not feel like the X360 controller is holding me back compared to the DS2.

But anyway, who cares.

What is the best way to handle the electric demons with Nero? I was just cruising through SoS laying waste to all in my path, and then I got shutdown by the first electric guy.

Charge shots until its electricity goes away. Then DT and combo into buster. When it turns red just run and jump and keep shooting.

Yeah, I like how they first show up in mission 4 on SoS and never go away.

Dave1988

Draft said:

But anyway, who cares.

Charge Shot lvl. 3. It's your best friend.

Draft

Charge shot is so dominant but my hands just won't cooperate. Revving while holding left bumper is just... phew. Need to... I dunno, do some push ups or something. Strengthen up.

Defuser

Draft said:
Blitz is actually blind therefore if you don't make a sound, it can't detect you and won't attack(but dodge if it does the beam sweeping). Charged your Blue Rose to lvl 3 and shoot. Repeat it till the electric goes away,unleash your DT and waste like there's no tomorrow.

MCD

Draft said:
Charge shot is so dominant but my hands just won't cooperate. Revving while holding left bumper is just... phew. Need to... I dunno, do some push ups or something. Strengthen up.
change lock-on to the Right trigger and melee button to X (Gun to Y), NG style :p

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Damn. I'm having a tough time on the final boss. Every time I break the shield, He flees like a bitch and I can't stun him. I did it after the first shield break.... but that's it. Any tips?
At that point I used Blue Rose. He'll normally block all the shots while staying in place so when you get near him, you'll be able to hit him.

Defuser

Lostconfused said:
Oh my i just got lucifer. Its like Virgil's phantom swords except with so much more style.
"First I whip it out ,I thrust it in...."

Btw what scene is that " It has Wings!!" ? I never heard that line although I went through all the cutscenes.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Draft said:

But anyway, who cares.

Meh...people need to make a heaven and hell difference about something to get others to buy it on thier system. At first I always kept hitting the Y button thinking it was X:lol But after a bit though...It all came together and really no difference. Hell. I love the clicking sound the trigger makes to rev. It helps me keep my reving in pace. lol. In the long run...either version is win:lol

Anyways...Boss fight on 8
I love Credo:lol Such an awesome boss fight. The first 8bars of his health is easy. I only lost about 2-3bars learning his attacks and then produced not to get hit...till he berserks at 2 bars. So much fun that is. Thats what I've been waiting for. Having to dodge attack after attack quickly. I love it:lol Now I'm stoked again for the fights hehe

Danielsan

Defuser said:
"First I thrust it in...."

Btw what scene is that " It has Wings!!" ? I never heard that line although I went through all the cutscenes.
It's when Silver Giga (The savior) first appears.

I'm now going through Human mode. Got to get some more proud souls before I tackle SoS and Bloody Palace. I'm also going through all the secret missions this time around, aswell as collecting all the tricky blue orbs. Human mode is a cakewalk especially after having beaten Devil Hunter already.

I've got to say the game growing on me. Innitially I was a bit dissapointed but having played through mission 1-8 repeatedly I'm actually starting to love it more and more. I've played through the first 3 missions on SoS and it's a lot better. The enemies are a lot more aggressive and the types of enemies you encounter are vastly different from DH. I did not expect to get my ass kicked by a fucking Blitz in mission 4 :lol I need to upgrade Blue Rose to level 3 before I'll give that another try.

llTll

Banned
man... how long does it take to install the friggin game?

i have finished reading thro the whole story and now its repeating back and yet its only 33% done..

how many mins it take to install thing thing?

llTll said:
man... how long does it take to install the friggin game?

i have finished reading thro the whole story and now its repeating back and yet its only 33% done..

how many mins it take to install thing thing?
On my 60 gig it took exactly 20 minutes and 35 seconds.

Mrbob

Haha well I finally beat Dante on Devil Hunter mode. What a crazy fight. Here I thought I was doing well because I was kicking his ass for most of the fight, but when he got down to one bar of health he just started raining down on me it was crazy. It probably took me about 3 min to get him down to one bar of health, and then another 5 to "finish" him. Geez.

MechaX

shintoki said:
Anyways...Boss fight on 8
I love Credo:lol Such an awesome boss fight. The first 8bars of his health is easy. I only lost about 2-3bars learning his attacks and then produced not to get hit...till he berserks at 2 bars. So much fun that is. Thats what I've been waiting for. Having to dodge attack after attack quickly. I love it:lol Now I'm stoked again for the fights hehe

If you want to, take a sneak peak of the Mission 8 boss on DMD Mode.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RqeFwm2RZrc

It actually looks like a ridiculously crazy boss fight that I'd actually have fun with.

Mamesj

Banned
llTll said:
i am on my 60gig US ps3 as well. now its 58%.

its just... god .. .. i wana play

okay, every time a PC game takes a few minutes to install, I'm going to come on gaf and complain like I can't find something to do to kill the time :p

Alright, i'm at mission 11 and it has picked up. Boss battles are getting really good. Can't say i'm a fan of the level design at this point, and I still think the combat is a bit on the repetitive side, but i'm close to playing as Dante, right?

Mrbob

_leech_ said:
Alright, i'm at mission 11 and it has picked up. Boss battles are getting really good. Can't say i'm a fan of the level design at this point, and I still think the combat is a bit on the repetitive side, but i'm close to playing as Dante, right?

Very.

_leech_ said:

The only way I can think of the combat becoming repetitive is if the player makes repetitive. Nero has enough combos and skills to make the combat interesting through out the whole game.

Greg

I fail at video games recently.

Couldn't get into Burnout Paradise.
Forgot that DMC4 was released.

... what's happening?

ggp759

Banned
Loving the game very much just got to the forest on Devil Hunter difficulty. As this is my first DMC can someone clarify this for me please: Can I go back and replay mission 2 because i missed the secret mission at that stage but what is going to happen with my saves? The only thing that saving does is save your skills and the most recent mission you unlocked? Will i be able to go back and continue with my current mission(forest)? Thanks guys.

ggp759 said:
Loving the game very much just got to the forest on Devil Hunter difficulty. As this is my first DMC can someone clarify this for me please: I can go back and replay mission 2 because i missed the secret mission at that stage but what is going to happen with my saves? The only thing that saving does is save your skills and the most recent mission you unlocked? Will i be able to back and continue with my current mission(forest)? Thanks guys.
You can go back and do missions as many times as you want, in fact, the game encourages it since you'll get more orbs and souls.

Zzoram

ggp759 said:
Loving the game very much just got to the forest on Devil Hunter difficulty. As this is my first DMC can someone clarify this for me please: Can I go back and replay mission 2 because i missed the secret mission at that stage but what is going to happen with my saves? The only thing that saving does is save your skills and the most recent mission you unlocked? Will i be able to go back and continue with my current mission(forest)? Thanks guys.

If you finished a level and saved, it'll be unlocked. Save slots track characters, and what they've unlocked (moves, items, difficulties, missions within a difficulty). You can redo anything for a better score/to get stuff you missed.

Fuck. I just loaded saved game (mission 7) and turns out it will load it from start of the mission. What's the point of giving save option then?

I'm playing with controls - lock-on on RT and melee on X. This control combination is much much better than default on 360.

Danielsan

MirageDwarf said:
Fuck. I just loaded saved game (mission 7) and turns out it will load it from start of the mission. What's the point of giving save option then?

I'm playing with controls - lock-on on RT and melee on X. This control combination is much much better than default on 360.
The point of the saving mid mission is that it saves your items (red orbs, proud souls, blue orbs and secret missions).

Tiduz

Eurogaime
MirageDwarf said:

orbs

edit: Beaten, with a better reply :lol

Top Bottom