• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Zzoram

McDragon said:
i was having problem with nero first but after getting table hopper, i feel much "safer".

I don't think I'm using it correctly. Can someone explain or video demonstrate the uses of Table Hopper?

Mrbob

Zzoram said:
I don't think I'm using it correctly. Can someone explain or video demonstrate the uses of Table Hopper?

I'm starting to see it more as I get better. If you time a dodge properly you'll see nero slide around the enemy instead of a dodging roll. It lets you counterattack easily.

MCD

Mrbob said:
I'm starting to see it more as I get better. If you time a dodge properly you'll see nero slide around the enemy instead of a dodging roll. It lets you counterattack easily.
exactly, just do Lock-on + right/left direction + A before an attack.

tha_con said:
Riiiight. You toot that imaginary trumpet, by golly, you've earned it.

Have you done your own personal comparisons on both retail builds? I have and I call it like I see it. Don't take my word for it though, try it for yourself, or don't, it doesn't matter, I'm just here to share my findings.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Dahbomb said:
I want in DMC5 for Nero to be possessed by Vergil, bust out the Yamato + Summoned Swords and use in conjunction with Red Queen and all of Nero's mechanics. Now that would be awesome and would make me instantly hyped for DMC5.

Also I would love if Nero's second arm got DB'd at well. Imagine grabbing two enemies, performing Buster at the same time and resulting in a Buster (like smacking two Scarecrows against each other for double damage to both!).

that would be verry awesome, But i really would like him to get a REAL DT, i mean his own body changing to be honest. Give him Nelo Angelo DT thats not a "ghost" and ill be happy. And make two campaigns, one for Dante and one for Nero, just like DMC2 only now with more awesomesauce instead of fail.

Draft

One thing Nero clearly wins on is his Devil Trigger. Big fucking samurai ghost mirroring your attacks? Pfff >>>> turning into some red guyver thing.

Junpei Heat

WHAT THE FUCK

I was going through Mission 5 on SoS and I was doing the dice game.It moved to a red spot and they transported me to a FUCKING BOSS FIGHT! I had to fight Bael agian,what the fuck Capcom!?

WHAT THE FUCK

Mrbob

Junpei Heat said:
WHAT THE FUCK

I was going through Mission 5 on SoS and I was doing the dice game.It moved to a red spot and they transported me to a FUCKING BOSS FIGHT! I had to fight Bael agian,what the fuck Capcom!?

WHAT THE FUCK

You should relish these types of fights.

The bigger they are, the harder they fall.

Dahbomb said:
DMC4's combat for Dante makes DMC3's combat irrelevant. I can't imagine playing DMC3 because I can't deal with having to change Styles at specific points in the mission. In fact, in DMC4 all of your combat options are available to you without the need of a pause/equip screen. Yes DMC3 Dante had Crazy Combos and some additional weapons but the mechanics placed in DMC4 make the combat more realized than ever. It's just a shame that Dante got the treatment that he did in DMC4, he should've been the star. Oh well... you can't have it all.

Yep, its going to be hard playing DMC3 and having to choose a style and weapons before a mission. Having everything at your finger tips is amazing.

Danielsan

Junpei Heat said:
WHAT THE FUCK

WHAT THE FUCK
Hahahaha SoS sounds like it's full of win. Though to be honest I'm surprised people are even landing on red spots. It easy as hell to avoid them.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Junpei Heat said:
WHAT THE FUCK

WHAT THE FUCK
Lucky person you are:lol

Better then spending 20minutes in that game...going back 6 squares:lol
Rolled a 6...****
Rolled a 2...4....****
Rolled a 3...1...2...****
Went on like this for 20minutes.

I got an A rank though if I remember for Red orbs:lol

ezekial45

Banned
Is anyone else incredibly disappointed with the OST they released? Only a handful of songs are on there and they excluded most of them.

Has anyone happened to come across a rip of the game's music?

Danielsan

shintoki said:
Lucky person you are:lol

Better then spending 20minutes in that game...going back 6 squares:lol
Rolled a 6...****
Rolled a 2...4....****
Rolled a 3...1...2...****
Went on like this for 20minutes.

I got an A rank though if I remember for Red orbs:lol
What the hell? Some of you still don't know how to roll the numbers you want?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Danielsan said:
Oh no...I figured it out after a bit:lol
Like one shot with the gun, would be six...
One shot the next time would be six again...
It was based on how many times I hit the dice with the pistol.:lol

Danielsan said:
The point of the saving mid mission is that it saves your items (red orbs, proud souls, blue orbs and secret missions).
It should have saved my styles combo too. :( Luckily I had couple of good combos and was hoping for good rating.

And I saved it just before boss fight. :lol

One thing I hate is enemy spawning when you are figuring out where to go. It is not everywhere but just when I run in circles to figure out where should I go next, every room and area will have enemies. I'm not even trying to fight them.

ezekial45 said:
Is anyone else incredibly disappointed with the OST they released? Only a handful of songs are on there and they excluded most of them.

Has anyone happened to come across a rip of the game's music?

The full OST is being released at the end of February, I believe.

Bog

Junior Ace
I'm new to the series, so I've got a pretty basic DMC question here.

If you're, say, against a boss and use an item, then die and hit continue so you can restart right at the boss again... your health item's gone since you used it? What the fuck's up with that?

BojTrek

Banned
Level 12: 10 minutes to get Dante out of that fucking castle... god I stink...

Not only do I suck at controlling him, since I was just getting good with Nero, but 10 fucking minutes... FUCK!

I played it once last night and went to bed... I will try one more time tonight before bed...

Bog said:
I'm new to the series, so I've got a pretty basic DMC question here.

If you're, say, against a boss and use an item, then die and hit continue so you can restart right at the boss again... your health item's gone since you used it? What the fuck's up with that?

Welcome to DMC.

Danielsan

BojTrek said:
Level 12: 10 minutes to get Dante out of that fucking castle... god I stink...

Not only do I suck at controlling him, since I was just getting good with Nero, but 10 fucking minutes... FUCK!

I played it once last night and went to bed... I will try one more time tonight before bed...
10 minutes is more than enough time. Don't worry about the timer.

Just fought Credo for the first time, what a cool fight, until he goes beserk with low health, his health was so low I couldn't see it before he went beserk, took me 3 small healths and a medium to get that one last hit in, still a cool fight, I peeked at youtube for his DT buster move, man I'm gonna have to try and save my DT better for that next time

Tutomos

After played throught it once I know why it couldn't get a 9 or 8. Pacing is weird, and the enviorment is the same. Kobayashi is the producer for the best paced game ever RE4, but what happened to DMC4.

Dave1988 said:
You can't be fucking serious.

What, can't take a beating?

Well i guess this game isn't for everyone.

Speaking of which, "i guess you aren't some casual gamer" gave me a chuckle.
Tutomos said:
After played throught it once I know why it couldn't get a 9 or 8. Pacing is weird, and the enviorment is the same. Kobayashi is the producer for the best paced game ever RE4, but what happened to DMC4.
No.

Junpei Heat

Mrbob said:
You should relish these types of fights.

The bigger they are, the harder they fall.

I suppose,I did get S Rank on the mission.

Danielsan said:

How do choose which number you want the die to fall on? This would help a ton on Mission 19.

MCD

Coin Return said:
Can I hold lock on before I do left/right + A? or do I have to hit all 3 at once?
yes you can.

table hopper is the same default dodge move + extra slide animation after successfully evading an attack in time.

Pachinko

ack, so they still don't let you keep your health items if you die ? that's retarded. I mean why would you bother continuing if you aren't good enough to beat that boss without the health item? I recall in dmc3 it took my 2 or 3 tries to even figure out how to fight a boss and well as this was the standard north american edition I'd figure out the pattern only after using all my yellow orbs and green orbs and only get the boss half dead before dying myself.

Okay so my next question, if you continue in dmc4, given that it says you still used the healing item during the fight does the bosses health atleast stay what it was when you died or does it make you start over from scratch? If it's the latter I'm skipping the game.

Junpei Heat said:
How do choose which number you want the die to fall on? This would help a ton on Mission 19.

You dont, the numbers just change in a specific pattern that never changes, whatever the face up die is thats the one it will come up. Because the numbers change so quickly you usually hit the die on the number before the one you need.
Pachinko said:
Okay so my next question, if you continue in dmc4, given that it says you still used the healing item during the fight does the bosses health atleast stay what it was when you died or does it make you start over from scratch? If it's the latter I'm skipping the game.
If you dont beat the boss after a couple of tries, they get weaker.

edit: Really, devil hunter mode is not that hard, heck its probably easier then DMC3 SE.

Bebpo

Banned
Pachinko said:
ack, so they still don't let you keep your health items if you die ? that's retarded. I mean why would you bother continuing if you aren't good enough to beat that boss without the health item? I recall in dmc3 it took my 2 or 3 tries to even figure out how to fight a boss and well as this was the standard north american edition I'd figure out the pattern only after using all my yellow orbs and green orbs and only get the boss half dead before dying myself.

DON'T USE ITEMS.

SERIOUSLY.

THE KEY TO DMC EVEN IF YOU ARE NOT VERY GOOD IS TO NOT USE ITEMS UNTIL YOU HAVE THE PATTERN DOWN.

For those having trouble: Items really should only be used when you are 99% certain you will win without items but you get killed and need an item just to finish the boss off of make it to the next checkpoint.

DO NOT JUST SPAM ITEMS. YOU WILL STILL DIE AND LOSE THEM.

Artie

Dave1988 said:
You can't be fucking serious.

What, can't take a beating?

Granted, while that one complaint isn't very justified, the game is really broken at points.

I want to have beaten the bosses threes, after my third play-through. Not my first.

Pachinko

Ah, okay well that doesn't seem super terrible. There's a certain skill wall with the devil may cry series for me. I did beat the first one on normal in spite of the game recommending me to switch to easy within 2 stages , it took my nearly a year because every time I played the game my right hand would cramp up from insisting on shooting everything until dead once they got airborne. Also the battle with gryffon in that game I used ebony and ivory the entire battle, basically I was my own worst enemy with how I played the game. The second one as we all know was basically a pathetic cakewalk that only approached difficulty in the 11th hour against the final bosses. The 3rd one though, the fight I speak of where I basically gave up was the first battle with virgil and again since it was the US version the easy mode that I actually DID pick was actually normal difficulty :(. There's just something obviously different with the playing style in dmc VS ninja gaiden where you know, both are considered difficult games but ninja gaiden I never found hard in the same way as devil may cry, possibly because I'm playing 1 of them correctly and one of them very wrong.

Ah well, I wouldn't mind grabbing some new games but I'm edging towards no more heroes.

---
Hopefully this isn't lost in the thread but does DMC4 stage structure essentially just have a set of 6 levels that you play through twice with nero and once with dante followed by a couple of final leveles , 1 for each character? is that why you have to fight every boss 3 times? I mean I recall the original devil may cry you had to fight the spider twice, gryffon twice and nightmare what 3 times? , even the dark lord mundus himself was a 3 stage boss battle although that's a final boss so it's pretty standard.

raYne

Bebpo said:
DON'T USE ITEMS.
That's exactly what I did at the beginning of the boss fights. If I couldn't figure out the patterns quick, I'd just fight to the death and continue instead of wasting an item. By the end, I had the exact amount I had from back in mission 3. :lol

Pachinko said:
Hopefully this isn't lost in the thread but does DMC4 stage structure essentially just have a set of 6 levels that you play through twice with nero and once with dante followed by a couple of final leveles , 1 for each character? is that why you have to fight every boss 3 times? I mean I recall the original devil may cry you had to fight the spider twice, gryffon twice and nightmare what 3 times? , even the dark lord mundus himself was a 3 stage boss battle although that's a final boss so it's pretty standard.

You fight the bosses once with Nero, once with Dante and then once more with Nero. Except for
Credo
, you only fight him once. The stages are set up as that Dante backtracks from Nero's end to beginning.

Edit: But the levels and enemies are altered for Dante.
Edit: Nero fights all bosses twice with that one exception, Dante fights the Bosses once with that one exception. Gah i am trying to avoid giving away spoilers, but anyways fighting every boss 3 times is a bit of an exaggeration.

Ok one more, heck there are some enemies in the game that are just as good as a boss well you might as well call them a mini boss. Blitz for example, every time i ran into that thing i died at least once even if i had a full health bar.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Lostconfused said:
You fight the bosses once with Nero, once with Dante and then once more with Nero. Except for
Credo
, you only fight him once. The stages are set up as that Dante backtracks from Nero's end to beginning.

Edit: But the levels and enemies are altered for Dante.
Edit: Nero fights all bosses twice with that one exception, Dante fights the Bosses once with that one exception. Gah i am trying to avoid giving away spoilers, but anyways fighting every boss 3 times is a bit of an exaggeration.
Two exceptions for Dante since he doesn't fight
Sanctus

JoeFenix

Holy shit bloody palace is awesome!

Just got up to floor 80 and died, ended up being ranked 115 and the top Canadian by a mile! :D

When they mix a blitz with those fishes and the swords it starts getting nasty....anyone here beat it yet? What's the last floor like?

JoeFenix said:
Holy shit bloody palace is awesome!

Just got up to floor 80 and died, ended up being ranked 115 and the top Canadian by a mile! :D

When they mix a blitz with those fishes and the swords it starts getting nasty....anyone here beat it yet? What's the last floor like?

Its supposed to be Dante at his most powerful, so probably DT. I should take that Canadian comment as a challenge, but i am not that good.

JoeFenix

Lostconfused said:
Its supposed to be Dante at his most powerful, so probably DT. I should take that Canadian comment as a challenge, but i am not that good.

Just stick with it, you'll get good in time. What's your gamertag? That's assuming you play on the 360 version...

Anyone in this thread who wants some healthy competition on xbl just add me to your friends list. My GT is JoeFenix.

Let's rock babes! :lol

JoeFenix said:
Just stick with it, you'll get good in time. What's your gamertag? That's assuming you play on the 360 version...

Anyone in this thread who wants some healthy competition on xbl just add me to your friends list. My GT is JoeFenix.

Let's rock babes! :lol

Same as my nick here, "Lostconfued". Yeah after seeing that i want DMC5 or at least playable Lady/Trish.

IJoel

I am terrible at this game. Just when I was starting to get all warmed up to Nero, they do the ol' switcharoo and made me feel I was playing with 2 left hands. :(

What's this? 4 Different fighting modes? What's the difference? How would I know which to pick? The game needs a sort of training ground for such modes. I leveled up sword master, because it sounded more in-tune with my play style, but maybe there's a better option for me.

llTll

Banned
can someone for the love god give me the song at the into video of DMC4 ? god damn its so amazing

"the second part of the intro. not the techno one""

Draft

IJoel said:
I am terrible at this game. Just when I was starting to get all warmed up to Nero, they do the ol' switcharoo and made me feel I was playing with 2 left hands. :(

What's this? 4 Different fighting modes? What's the difference? How would I know which to pick? The game needs a sort of training ground for such modes. I leveled up sword master, because it sounded more in-tune with my play style, but maybe there's a better option for me.
Each style dictates what the O or A button does.

Swordmaster: extra melee attack
Gunslinger: extra shooting attack
Trickster: dodge
Royal Guard: block

And then later on you get a fifth form, but don't worry about that yet.

The simplest form, or at least the one that's probably easiest to understand, is Swordmaster. Just work the extra attacks into your normal combos.

Top Bottom