• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

IJoel

Draft said:
Each style dictates what the O or A button does.

Swordmaster: extra melee attack
Gunslinger: extra shooting attack
Trickster: dodge
Royal Guard: block

And then later on you get a fifth form, but don't worry about that yet.

The simplest form, or at least the one that's probably easiest to understand, is Swordmaster. Just work the extra attacks into your normal combos.

I see, though you probably meant the B button. I realized part of that when I was experimenting with the modes. What difference does it make leveling each of them?

MCD

Draft said:
Each style dictates what the O or A button does.

Swordmaster: extra melee attack
Gunslinger: extra shooting attack
Trickster: dodge
Royal Guard: block

And then later on you get a fifth form, but don't worry about that yet.

The simplest form, or at least the one that's probably easiest to understand, is Swordmaster. Just work the extra attacks into your normal combos.
IMO Trickster is the best to newcomers and hardcore alike, speaking from my DMC3 experience.

still at mission 7.

Draft

IJoel said:
I see, though you probably meant the B button. I realized part of that when I was experimenting with the modes. What difference does it make leveling each of them?
You're right, I did mean the B button.

Upgrading the styles adds more moves to the style, or enhances existing ones.

Trickster, for example:

Level 1: dodge on the ground
Level 2: multiple dodges on the ground, air dodge
Level 3: can warp towards enemies when locked on

etc.

edit: Agree that Trickster was best for noobs in DMC3 but I think dodging is a lot easier in DMC4 so I think Swordmaster is easier to get a handle of.

Draft said:
edit: Agree that Trickster was best for noobs in DMC3 but I think dodging is a lot easier in DMC4 so I think Swordmaster is easier to get a handle of.
Especially if you've gotten used to Nero’s air juggle.

deepbrown

Ok Dante seriously gets badass as he gets all his weapons! And he seems to be far more useful when there's lots of enemies than Nero, who's more a grab one kill one, grab next kill next. But I don't really get Lucifer....help here?

f@luS

More than a member.
did anyone changed the "gun attack" button?
i cant see, without changing how can i charge my gun, jump/move/sword attack and release it whenever i want.i have to let go of [] when i push O for exemple !

Draft

Yes, I changed it to L1/LB. Shit is still awkward to use though. I dunno, it's like my right hand is OK holding R1/RB and tapping R2/RT for weapon changes, and my left hand is fine with pulling L2/LT for instarevs, but when I try to instarev WHILE holding L1/LB to charge a shot, forget it. My instarevs go to shit.

dralla

They should have an option to charge your gun using the Sixaxis. You would need to tilt the controller to the right and it would charge, than press Square to fire it.

ezekial45

Banned
McDragon said:
IMO Trickster is the best to newcomers and hardcore alike, speaking from my DMC3 experience.

still at mission 7.

They downgraded Trickster in this game. You can't triple dash or wall run anymore.

Kweh

What are you supposed to do in the boss fight in that circular room with all the flying swords and the electricity charges?

Kweh said:
What are you supposed to do in the boss fight in that circular room with all the flying swords and the electricity charges?

take the sword-monsters and throw them against the window with the villain.

deepbrown said:
Ok Dante seriously gets badass as he gets all his weapons! And he seems to be far more useful when there's lots of enemies than Nero, who's more a grab one kill one, grab next kill next. But I don't really get Lucifer....help here?

Lucifer is a lovely little weapon that works kind of like phantom swords. If you hit the enemy with a melee combo Dante will stick swords into him, after a time they will explode but you can also make them explode by hitting back+attack while locked on. If you upgrade Lucifer you get the ability to spawn 4 swords in front of you, you can spawn about 3 rows of that but on the 3rd row the excess swords start exploding. While that ability isnt that usefull on its on, if you switch to Blademaster you can start re arranging the swords, you can position them in a sphere around you or you can shoot them Like Phantom swords. Except they only start tracking at style lvl 4 of blademaster.

solid2snake said:
take the sword-monsters and throw them against the window with the villain.
Yup, lock on and snatch, then use Buster and then hit lock on again to target the window.

Can someone give me general pointers on how to use Trickster and Royal Guard? I've never used anything other than Swordmaster and occasionally Gunslinger.

Bebpo

Banned
ezekial45 said:
They downgraded Trickster in this game. You can't triple dash or wall run anymore.

Yeah, Trickster was my main game in DMC3 but I really don't use it at all in DMC4. You get so used to dodging everything with Nero you do the same with Dante.

I mainly use Swordmaster and Gunslinger for certain enemies/combos.

Bog said:
More like, "Back to the store you go, you POS."

You've gotta be retarded.

Play the game on HUMAN AUTO - ON , there, you won't have to worry about items disappearing because the game will be so fuck easy you won't need them in the first place.

...you also shouldn't even buy healing items either, you should be purchasing blue orbs instead.

Kyoufu

You guys will think I'm crazy but I wall dashed twice as Dante using Trickster during the Berial mission. One time during the ice area vs the dogs and the other was against scarecrows in the city. I seriously think I'm going crazy because its not supposed to be in the game....

And fuck the Trickster haters. Dodging every attack in the game with the teleport is the most satisfying feeling.

Pachinko said:
ack, so they still don't let you keep your health items if you die ? that's retarded. I mean why would you bother continuing if you aren't good enough to beat that boss without the health item?

Um...the very fuckin' essence of Devil May Cry? You fought the boss once, used an item -- now it's round 2 and you no longer have that item. But now you've gotten better, you know the attack routines and patterns, the animations, the sounds, the realization that Nero can send back half the shit bosses throw at you via devil arm etc. On SoS mode, if I died at a boss, used an item -- the next turnabout I usually kick it's ass without using any items.

Anyway, don't worry about the game being too hard. The game will handicap the bosses and enemies if you die on them. Further and further until you can beat them.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Oh hell yeah. Finally got every blue orb and finished all difficulty levels once... of course, except Hell and Hell :) I find myself done with DMC4 now... I'll have some fun with Bloody Temple first though.

EDIT: I give DMC4 the strongest 8 I've ever given a game. It's that awesome.

Yeah I am definitely in need of some Royal Guard pointers.
I never used it in DMC3 so the secret mission where you have to do five of them is kicking my ass up and down.

IJoel said:
I am terrible at this game. Just when I was starting to get all warmed up to Nero, they do the ol' switcharoo and made me feel I was playing with 2 left hands. :(

What's this? 4 Different fighting modes? What's the difference? How would I know which to pick? The game needs a sort of training ground for such modes. I leveled up sword master, because it sounded more in-tune with my play style, but maybe there's a better option for me.

I would imagine most people start the game with the tutorial ON right? Doesn't it tell you the basics there for Dante?

dralla

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Yeah I am definitely in need of some Royal Guard pointers.
I never used it in DMC3 so the secret mission where you have to do five of them is kicking my ass up and down.

Kill one of them, than just memorize the attacks of the one. He only has 3 attacks, I thought the yellow laser was the easiest to RG because of the noise it makes right before it fires it. Time the RG to the sound

I'm on Mission 15 right now on Devil Hunter. Man the game is just great thus far, a little frustrating with some puzzles and backtracking, but for the most part I love it. Nero has been great, and setting up combos with exceed is a shit ton of fun. Just got Dante and haven't played a lot of DMC3...and oh boy, now THIS is why everyone keeps whining about real time weapon switching in the Ninja Gaiden topics :lol. I wouldn't change my position on that, as I think NG is better without it, but boy oh boy do I love Dante. Nero was great, but man this is just another league imo. While playing with Nero I feel like I have control over just every aspect and everything is very cool and precise. As soon as I got to Dante though, I'm like "What the fuck is this shit?!".

I'm just amazed with the seemingly unlimited amount of options I have available to me with Dante. And mixed with varying up style and strategy against some of the better henchmen opponents is pure sex. Never before have I ever been so completely overwhelmed by a moveset in a game before. Admittitedly I've rented the game, and now I regret it because I find myself wanting to compete with people on my list and trying to make decent spots on the leaderboards and beating the game over and over again :(. I think I'll be sad when I get back to Nero, although he's awesome as well.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
ezekial45 said:
Triple dash is certainly missed but DMC4 has too many open areas for wall running to be useful. It was hardly useful in DMC3.

dralla said:
Kill one of them, than just memorize the attacks of the one. He only has 3 attacks, I thought the yellow laser was the easiest to RG because of the noise it makes right before it fires it. Time the RG to the sound

Makes sense. Thanks.

LordK

dralla said:

Yep. Luckily for me after I killed the first one, it only used that yellow laser thingy. The other moves I can't royal guard against because I suck balls at royal guard and using Dante in general.

SpokkX

does the 360 version also have slowdown in some battles?

The ps3 version slows down a bit in several battles in the jungle level and also in some other levels when there are many enemies. It is not THAT bad but it is noticable

LordK

I think I'm going crazy. The theme used for the secret missions sounds just like a loop of the intro to Robo's theme from Chrono Trigger.

Also, I had a question. My friend completed mission 6 and I can see his ranking for it. But I can't see anyting for his missions 2->5. This is for the PS3. Do they only rank so many people?

Zabka

SpokkX said:

The ps3 version slows down a bit in several battles in the jungle level and also in some other levels when there are many enemies. It is not THAT bad but it is noticable
Haven't seen any framedrops yet, but there's noticeable tearing in the busier sections of the jungle.

Danielsan

SpokkX said:

I only noticed slowdown once and that was in the jungle section with the bridge whilst playing as Dante and shooting Mephistos in the face with the shotgun. Wasn't that bad and like I said it was only during that particular segment. (360 version)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
HOLY SHIT. It's great fun having unlimited with DT in Bloody Palace xD!

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
SpokkX said:

From my experience so far, none at all.

comrade

I'm playing on Son of Sparda mode right and I S'd a bunch of missions with Nero. Now I've made the switch to Dante and I've been getting destroyed by almost every type of enemy besides the Scarecrows.:lol

I just am not enjoying playing as Dante after playing exclusively as Nero for about two days in Bloody Palace.

Yoshichan

I forgot to mention... for those who really can't finish DmD and really wants to have infinite DT should check GameFAQs any day now :) I uploaded my save right now, it'll probably take 1-2 days to show up though.

SpokkX

Zabka said:
Haven't seen any framedrops yet, but there's noticeable tearing in the busier sections of the jungle.

the ps3 version doesnt "drop" frames. instead the game slows down.. like slow motion, especially if there is a transparent object close the the screen this happens in the ps3 version

Imm0rt4l

SpokkX said:

yea I have the 360 version and it slows down in the jungles, mainly when I'm fighting multiple lizards close together.

DustinC

Now that I'm in Dante's missions, what's the best way to take on the cloaked flying guys? Is there a way to get them to drop the cloaks like I could with Nero's DB?

Top Bottom