• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

burgerdog

prodystopian said:
Am I missing something when I DB the knights? In the DMD mission 5 video it looks like Nero revs it longer than I remember doing when I play. Maybe it just seems shorter because I am thinking about my next move. Is there some combo you can do after hitting O for the buster on the knights?

I may be wrong, but I think if you keep pressing B or O after you've done buster on them you could extend the animation and do more damage to them.

Elhandro

striKeVillain! said:
Wow, the 2nd Dante battle is hard as hell. Anyone have any tips to beat him?

If you search Youtube, there is a pretty detailed video of how to fight him the second time, Helped me get past this part.

It involves grabbing him and when he is close using your arm throw (buster)

maskrider

Although I said I won't play higher than SoS, I started DMD and am at Mission 7. May be I got better a bit, I think DMD is not as hard as I think.

And BTW, Heaven or Hell is a joke, one hit kill (except those with shield/electric fence), you don't need to fight at all. Finished that difficulty in a very short session.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
At least I managed to beat HaH!

EpPGOHQkf.jpg

LEHZYpCfI.jpg

Dave1988

Well, finally got to control Dante... the game got a massive injection of AWESOME! :D
Too bad that you control him for so short.

Oh well, there's always Bloody Palace.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Dave1988 said:
Well, finally got to control Dante... the game got a massive injection of AWESOME! :D
Too bad that you control him for so short.

Oh well, there's always Bloody Palace.

After you re-adjust to his gameplay yes although you enjoy the other styles (my default one is Sword-master) much more if you level them up a bit and with the proud souls I had when switched to Dante I could not get a lot of stuff (not as much as I wanted to).

I have to say that I DID like the new gameplay elements Nero brought to the game and I was not feeling like "when oh when do I get to switch to Dante?", not at all. Still, playing against all the enemies you learned how to beat with Nero's unique abilities gets much tougher when you fight against them as Dante... you have to re-think all of your strategies :D.

Still, having both Nero and Dante is IMHO a great way to go for a couple more DMC games at least: Nero is very newbie friendly and plays a LOT differently from Dante in enough aspects to bring a needed breath of fresh air. Capcom is really rocking next-generation development.

maskrider

Oh and the pictures after clearing Heaven or Hell

Ha ha ha ! "Man, you need to get out more." is applicable to many people on forums (including here).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
maskrider said:
Oh and the pictures after clearing Heaven or Hell

Ha ha ha ! "Man, you need to get out more." is applicable to many people on forums (including here).

dmc4ps3-hoh-sent.jpg

dmc4ps3-hoh-clear.jpg

Kyrie's innocent and pure kidnapped lady image goes out of the window for real with the pictures you just posted :D.

prodystopian said:
1. Anyone else think it is MUCH easier to get an S on a mission here than 1 or 3?

I think it has to do with them taking out the amount of damage criteria. I always get hit when I play, that would almost always prevent me from getting an S rank, now I don't have to worry about that, thank god.

mrbagdt

Elhandro said:
If you search Youtube, there is a pretty detailed video of how to fight him the second time, Helped me get past this part.

It involves grabbing him and when he is close using your arm throw (buster)

this is how i beat dante too- i just spammed my gun as i walked up to him and then did a buster when i was close enough. it is really easy and cheesy, almost makes it not fun, but considering how hard of a boss he can be if you are not really good at the game, i think it is the only way to beat him. i must have tried the fight 6 or 7 times before i watched a video on youtube and finished it.

also, first post. go me!

Greg

Trying to beat the game before I have to take it back to the rental place...

another backtracking segment - yes!

eso76

More complaints about having to play the game twice...

I don't know guys, you shouldn't be too harsh.
it's a long game, like 20 hours long game.
You still get 10/12 hours of unique content, which is still decent compared to most games today.
It wouldn't bother you as much if you had two separate scenarios a la Resident Evil, that's the way you have to think of it.
Plus the game with Dante is very different, so it really doesn't matter too much.
What matters though, is poorly designed missions in part 2.

pj

Banned
eso76 said:
More complaints about having to play the game twice...

I don't know guys, you shouldn't be too harsh.
it's a long game, like 20 hours long game.
You still get 10/12 hours of unique content, which is still decent compared to most games today.
It wouldn't bother you as much if you had two separate scenarios a la Resident Evil, that's the way you have to think of it.
Plus the game with Dante is very different, so it really doesn't matter too much.
What matters though, is poorly designed missions in part 2.

It takes you 1 hour to beat each mission? You get a D time rank in most if it takes you half that. I'm certainly not rushing things, I explore what little there is to explore, and I'm at 13 hours and on mission 17. That includes replays of the first 7 missions. And, you're not really getting "10" hours of unique content, because many of nero's missions use one location twice.

That said, the recycling doesn't really bother me, aside from the fact that it's boring to see the same stuff again.

Ash_69

Argh, for fucks sake! I've died about 20 times on the same boss and up until now have finished off all others with relative ease. I'm talking about
Credo
. Some of the attacks are unavoidable for me, especially towards the end when he goes beserk. I'm sure
double jump
would of helped me but I havent the souls to buy it of whatever fucked up currency they use in this game.

Greg

C- Warrior said:
Stop obsessing over levels and just combo shit to death, goddamn.

Fuck, this is devil may cry not fuckin' Afrika.
Combine a shit camera with terrible placement of areas... pretty damn annoying.

Navigating through the areas/trying to find out where you need to go is harder than the combat itself.

maskrider,

a while back you posted a changed start screen after you had finished human mode and said you had no control over the screen changing or something like that. I haven't been able to find any info about that, mine hasn't changed after finishing it on Devil Hunter, does beating human unlock that "feature?"

Narag

Darkflight said:
maskrider,

a while back you posted a changed start screen after you had finished human mode and said you had no control over the screen changing or something like that. I haven't been able to find any info about that, mine hasn't changed after finishing it on Devil Hunter, does beating human unlock that "feature?"

For what its worth, it seems to cycle between all unlocked clear art so if you've only cleared one difficulty, you'll only get that screen.

Sidzed2

Oh Lord...

I just tried Bael on DMD and died at least ten times. I could NEVER stun him and buster his tongue. Every time I caused damage he would go into hiding and bring out the dangly ladies.

Finally beat him after using items (WEAK). I haven't fully upgraded my life bar? It's about 7/8 full. Do I need that extra bit to finish DMD, you think?

Dizzle24

Ash_69 said:
Argh, for fucks sake! I've died about 20 times on the same boss and up until now have finished off all others with relative ease. I'm talking about
Credo
. Some of the attacks are unavoidable for me, especially towards the end when he goes beserk. I'm sure
double jump
would of helped me but I havent the souls to buy it of whatever fucked up currency they use in this game.

You can Buster the spears he throws at you and throw them back at him.
Also, go back and do some missions to gather Proud Souls and upgrade your abilities.

Narag

Ash_69 said:
Credo
double jump

Return any moves you're not using to cover the cost for air hike . You'll be able to dodge his double sword wave attack

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Dizzle24 said:
You can Buster the spears he throws at you and throw them back at him.
Also, go back and do some missions to gather Proud Souls and upgrade your abilities.
Hell...Snatch even works. If you snatch them they produce a Green Orb too. Free life and its not that hard to snatch them. Hell...bustering isn't too hard either:lol I could hard snatch for **** since I was always a tad bit late, but that timing I have for snatch is the timing you need for Buster...works out well:lol

So I started contuining on again...Dante vs Draga or whatever its name is. Talk about the easiest boss fight ever. something like 45 seconds to down him with an S rank the mission....He didn't even hit me once. Shotgun does a killer amount of damage and almost every combo of Gilgamash took off a bar of life:lol Jealous capcom...your Secret Missions are harder then the game

Victrix

*beard*
I'm about half way through SoS, and I've decided I absolutely fucking hate enemy/camera relative dodging commands. Put it on the fucking analog stick ffs. I can't believe how many times I've eaten hits because I tried to roll and the camera/enemy placement was such that I didn't pick the current correct direction. Bah.

Time to remap keys, another session with Blue Rose on RT has left my hand a gnarled paw. What I do for the pursuit of that S rank in battle :(

So I just got up to
Dante
with Nero. I got tired of him whuppin' my ass so I gave up for the night. I haven't had any major problems with any other boss, other than
Credo
where the game pitied me and gave me a handicap :(

At one point I had him down to maybe 2-3 hits left and he got me right at the end :( If the stupid breakable objects with health orbs inside them would respawn when you use a continue I would have had him, but I had used all those up during previous tries and I'm trying to finish the game without using any items, so no green stars for me.

What the hell are you supposed to do when you Buster him and it goes into that sword clashing cutscene? I didn't look like he was taking any damage during it, though it did give me a little opening to attack after it finished.

Sidzed2

There's a lovely sleazy technique for Dante which involves standing on the pagoda-thing's roof, shooting at him, waiting for him to jump up and then bustering him in mid air.

it ain't noble, it ain't foolproof, but it can certainly help.

Not sure if it works on any difficulty above SoS, though!

Zzoram

Sidzed2 said:
There's a lovely sleazy technique for Dante which involves standing on the pagoda-thing's roof, shooting at him, waiting for him to jump up and then bustering him in mid air.

It sorta worked for me in DH, but it's not perfect.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Sidzed2 said:

It does work... that's how I beat him in Hell and Hell... any other strategy was impossible.

Feindflug

Ok I just completed the last secret mission and found every blue orb...already beat Human - I'm in the 12th mission on Devil Hunter and my playtime is 30hrs...I can't wait to try the harder difficulties.

BTW guys I didn't find the backtracking with Dante any annoying at all - sure I'd preffered new areas/levels but it was still fun, reviewers and haters are overreacting.

I love this game. :)

Well, did the boiling trick, and it seems to have helped a little. The anime DVD will now play on my DVD player, but only on my DVD player. From some inspection it seems like the layers may not have bonded well, because on the inner ring, there's actually a gap in the plastic; it's actually big enough that I can get my nail in there. I think in the end they're still pretty FUBAR'd... maybe I can use an iron to melt the layers together... :\

Quick question about how much of the game I have left. I just
am back to playing as Nero
and really want to know if its worth going on, because this until this section this game was amazing.
WHY AM I FIGHTING BOSSES FOR THE THIRD TIME? WHY AM I STUCK DOING THIS FUCKING STUPID DICE GAME THAT FORCES ME TO FIGHT THIS FIGHTING ELECTRIC ENEMY WHICH IS FUCKING GARBAGE?
Screw you capcom, you make me think you guys figured it out, then you fuck it all up.
I was expecting to fight the bosses again, but when I started to as Dante I thought that Capcom figured out to have you fight bosses again without it being terrible, but then they go and fuck it all up by making you return to Nero after you are so used to the superior Dante and fight all the bosses again, and if that wasnt bad enough you have to do the damn dice game...what the hell.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Linkzg said:
and really want to know if its worth going on, because this until this section this game was amazing.
WHY AM I FIGHTING BOSSES FOR THE THIRD TIME? WHY AM I STUCK DOING THIS FUCKING STUPID DICE GAME THAT FORCES ME TO FIGHT THIS FIGHTING ELECTRIC ENEMY WHICH IS FUCKING GARBAGE?
Screw you capcom, you make me think you guys figured it out, then you fuck it all up.
I was expecting to fight the bosses again, but when I started to as Dante I thought that Capcom figured out to have you fight bosses again without it being terrible, but then they go and fuck it all up by making you return to Nero after you are so used to the superior Dante and fight all the bosses again, and if that wasnt bad enough you have to do the damn dice game...what the hell.

I hated it too :/ Capcom just hates us, that's why. But I blame poor level design personally.

Linkzg said:

You're near the end. The dice game is easy when you learn it spins in one specific order, just use the buster when the number you want is on top. I for one enjoyed the boss gauntlet given I was powered up and knew how to take them out.

Darkpen

Banned
Mefisutoferesu said:
Well, did the boiling trick, and it seems to have helped a little. The anime DVD will now play on my DVD player, but only on my DVD player. From some inspection it seems like the layers may not have bonded well, because on the inner ring, there's actually a gap in the plastic; it's actually big enough that I can get my nail in there. I think in the end they're still pretty FUBAR'd... maybe I can use an iron to melt the layers together... :\
how's the bonus DVD?

pj

Banned
SoS is pretty fun so far. I like that they're mixing up the enemy groups with stuff that doesn't normally appear way later. I need to learn how to dodge, because dudes actually attack now.

btw, is there something that explains the timing of the instant rev? I can get it sometimes, but it almost feels random. Also, how much extra damage do the attacks do? If it's not that much, maybe I shouldn't even bother learning..

Junpei Heat

Reno said:
Geez, over 7500 posts and people still don't know how to beat the dice game. :X

Tell us how :/

pj325is said:
btw, is there something that explains the timing of the instant rev? I can get it sometimes, but it almost feels random. Also, how much extra damage do the attacks do? If it's not that much, maybe I shouldn't even bother learning..

You have to rev right after you attack. Pay attention to Nero's sword,as soon as it touches the ground or the enemy,press it.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Junpei Heat said:
You mean the one on level 19? When the number you want comes up...you hit it with the devil arm buster. It will land on that number everytime then.

Like the pattern for me was 6-3-5-4-2-1. So you wait till the number comes up before it...then right when it switchs...buster arm it. I only had to fight the bosses and got red orbs inbetween movign to them lol

And Blitz's...I don't understand how people say they are bad.

Also **** The last Boss...It took me about 30+ tries to buster arm his left hook >_<

pj

Banned
Junpei Heat said:

the number on top when you hit it is the number it lands on, it does the numbers in the same order, so just learn when the one you want shows up and hit it

Top Bottom