• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Floor 88.

2 things died.

Nero, after somehow being caught by a Blitzes death grab explosion.

And my Shockaxis, after a tiny bout of gamer rage.

*grumbles*

hteng

Banned
SnakeXs said:
Floor 88.

2 things died.

Nero, after somehow being caught by a Blitzes death grab explosion.

And my Shockaxis, after a tiny bout of gamer rage.

*grumbles*

you can DT out of of the kamikaze attack provided if you have enough DT gauge to activate but then again while you are being zapped you'll still receive damage and DT gauge, you need alot of life bar to withstand the whole attack though.

hteng

Banned
X26 said:
jesus, I'm never going to be able to do it. What do you face in the later stages, packs of blitz's?

there's one stage with 2 Blitzes, some stages will have one blitz and a bunch of other monsters (hell hounds, cutlass, gladius, mephistoes.etc)

jrricky

Banned
First ever playthrough of a DMC game and I absolutely loved it. It felt a little short though because I never seem to finish games that I start to play (on consoles).

Great Action, Badass characters, but the story was a little bland. Story isnt my forte though, so it doesnt matter.

MechaX

hteng said:
there's one stage with 2 Blitzes, some stages will have one blitz and a bunch of other monsters (hell hounds, cutlass, gladius, mephistoes.etc)

Additionally, those monsters usually start off against the Blitz. However, you'll see that...

1. The other enemies will pretty much turn on you quite fast
2. The enemies will pretty much have worse luck than Nero/Dante would do fighting a Blitz
3. Time Limit.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
my way of cheating the dice game is to wait for the number i want to appear on top, then count six rolls, and then buster -- seems a little easier than the other method

Mugen

Banned
Does anybody realize that a lot people are unhappy that DMC4 has so few unlockable extras? No extra costumes which is completely uncharacteristic of the DMC series. People were also dismayed to learn that Dante has so few weapons. The reason may actually have to do with the fact that DMC4 went multiplatform. This is what DMC4 director Hideaki Itsuno said in an interview with 1up.

1UP: That said, Dante earns so many cool new things, like the Gilgamesh, that we now want our own personal suit of armor that looks like that. When did you decide that enough was enough, and to stop adding new powers and attacks? What was the limit?

HI: With Dante, we kept playing with his repertoire until quite late in the development process. I'd say the two big limits were the amount of memory we could use for his attacks and all their associated animations and data, as well as the release date of course. We had more ideas that we could fit into the game [Editor's note: Wow.], but I'm really satisfied by the volume and mix of stylish weapons and attacks that Dante has. We weren't able to put absolutely everything that we thought up into the game, for instance we wanted combos to split down different paths based on button press timing, but Dante and the player certainly have more than enough things to do in the first and even the second play through of the game.

Perhaps DVD9 did not provide enough space to fit all the animation data for extra weapons, or texture data for new costumes, etc. DMC4 was downgraded because of Xbox360.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Mugen said:
Does anybody realize that a lot people are unhappy that DMC4 has so few unlockable extras? No extra costumes which is completely uncharacteristic of the DMC series. People were also dismayed to learn that Dante has so few weapons. The reason may actually have to do with the fact that DMC4 went multiplatform. This is what DMC4 director Hideaki Itsuno said in an interview with 1up.

Perhaps DVD9 did not provide enough space to fit all the animation data for extra weapons, or texture data for new costumes, etc. DMC4 was downgraded because of Xbox360.

Perhaps it was the reason for the backtracking through the same few levels too... Ah well, what can you do. IIRC in one interview the producer mentioned that he wanted to do so much more but Capcom basically said no.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
X26 said:
jesus, I'm never going to be able to do it. What do you face in the later stages, packs of blitz's?
Level 99 is a seemingly endless wave of Angelo Bianco. It's quite intense. :D

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Mugen said:

as far as weapons go, they're pretty clearly referring to ram rather than disc space -- keep in mind that dante's got all his stuff equipped all the time. and i doubt dmc4 fills a dvd9 anyway. pir8s could probably confirm

drohne said:
as far as weapons go, they're pretty clearly referring to ram rather than disc space -- keep in mind that dante's got all his stuff equipped all the time. and i doubt dmc4 fills a dvd9 anyway. pir8s could probably confirm

Not to mention if space was really an issue there's always the DLC option.

drohne said:
I think you could make an alternate Dante costume with three different weapons (agni/rudra, nevan, cerberus) to cycle through. Given the way we have to cycle through weapons, I don't WANT to have to move through more than three at once. Oh, but Sparda somewhere would be nice.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
akachan ningen said:
I made a combo movie, mostly for people who are new to DMC because I don't think they're getting anything from the DMD S-rank videos. Sorry about the shitty quality too, i don't have any other way of capturing video.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/178983.html

Nice. Learn to Jump Cancel, and you're golden. I like the starting bit you did with Dante, and one of the end combos with nero.

Lol @ the lyrics.

Dahbomb

Some people are having trouble with figuring out the best way to upgrade Dante since there are like 3 things you need to be concentrating on (Styles, Weapons, Abilities).

My recommendation is to go with Abilities first but only the essential ones (Air Hike, Enemy Hop and Speed). After that go with the Weapons move list and then if you have spare stuff go for the Style upgrades. Concentrate first on Swordmaster and Gunslinger (GS in DMC4 is far more powerful thanks to Pandorra) and if you have the courage go with Royal Guard. Trickster is sort of gimped unless you use DT a lot, then it becomes good (allows you to do double Air Hike, double Star Dash, double Air Trick etc.).

Weapons moves are probably the most essential after some of the abilities because they will end up helping you a lot in the long run. Air Hike as always is very essential.

Edit: For Jump Cancelling you need to buy the Enemy Hop ability. When you figure out how to do it, then you can figure out how to do Jump cancels when you use attacks in conjunction with enemy hop (air attack, enemy hop, air attack etc.). That is Jump Cancelling.

chaoticprout said:
Where's the list of bloody palace levels? Thanks.
Aside from the bosses and certain sub-boss enemy encounters, the levels are randomly generated. There are 101 levels with every 20 missions including the last one (101) is a major boss fight (Berial at 20, Bael at 40, Echidna at 60, Agnus at 80, Credo at 100, Dante at 101). Something like that I think, I haven't beaten BP yet but I do think it follows this pattern.

Narag

The 5 hit Rising Dragon with the DT trick is ridiculous. :lol

chaoticprout said:
Where's the list of bloody palace levels? Thanks.

Narag said:
I don't know if this had been posted yet but here goes.
List of all enemies for each floor on Bloody Palace

Courtesy xbox360achievements.org's forum.

Highlights include:
Blitz x2, Chimera Seed x3
Faust x3
and the aforementioned floor 99:
Alto Angelo x2, Bianco Angelo x44

Dahbomb

Well I guess I was wrong about the random nature of BP but I was right about the boss encounters at least. I haven't had the time to put BP to the test yet so I can't correctly comment.

Also another thing... Dante can beat most enemies really easily thanks to Pandorra. The GS move where Dante tosses the Box on the floor and there is a flash that stuns enemies (Omen I think)... works WONDERS against Mephistos, Fausts and Blitz as far as removing their cloaks/electricity is concerned. The Revenge move (Laser beam one I think) is also really good if you want to keep your distance.

Nero's long ranged options are fairly limited unless you want to use his charging DT moves which have a high risk aspect to them (long charge) but if you pull it off you can remove a Blitz's instantly. Other than that you have to rely on L3 charges and DT Summoned Swords.

hteng

Banned
you encounter a boss fight every 20 levels, every 10 level, there will be a ridiculously difficult fight, as hinted by Larc en Ciel's music, for instance, Level 10 has a bunch of scarecrows, level 20 is a boss fight, Level 30 put you up against tons of assaults, frosts and 1 blitz..etc.

whenever you hear the larc en ciel song, be prepare for a long and tough fight

Victrix

*beard*
Am I crazy, or did Gloria's one combat scene remind anyone else of Lucia from DMC2? A strange homage if they did it intentionally.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Drewsy said:
HOW DO YOU JUMP CANCEL?

Noone ever shows how to do it, they just show off.

I haven't played this yet, but...I think you have to buy the move in this one? After that, its quite simple. Say you jump towards an enemy, and touch their head. Right there, you have the ability to jump again. Thats kinda all there is to it. As long as you are touching some part of the enemy, you can jop off of them again. The rest is up to timing.

So, say you are doing a killer bee. The second Dante touches the enemy, he has the ability to jump again. So its like, Killer bee -> jump -> killer Bee -> jump-> Killer Bee -> jump, etc. The reason it looks so flashy in the videos, is because a lot of time people follow up with another attack, instead of gaining the distance from it. Its not that hard once you get the timing right.

Victrix said:
Am I crazy, or did Gloria's one combat scene remind anyone else of Lucia from DMC2? A strange homage if they did it intentionally.

Thats exactly what I thought when I first saw it.

f@luS

More than a member.
im mission 19. At first i wasnt excited playing with dante again. Grabbing with nero was so cool....then i got the other weapons ( pandora <3) . Then up somes great skills. Still i was like "i want to play nero back ...a bit".
Now that im level 19, i feel nero is sluggish, slow and not very entertaining. AT least not as much as dante was !

dante <3 <3

maskrider

Finally finished all secret missions, still have to fine one blue orb fragment to complete my health bar, still don't know which one I am missing, ha ha!

Rektash

Just got the game. Had great fun in level 1 and 2, nice combo action, good level design.

Level 3 is horrible - worst level design I encountered in quite some time, i am literally stuck every 5-10 minutes in this level - no fun at all. No one tells me what the fuck to do with this puzzle, just running around aimlesslyand killing mobs. Dozens of Objects I can t destroy and no hint how to progress. Way to go Capcom.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
slade said:
I'm amazed that people actually get stuck at places in this game. It's pretty straightforward.
Agreed.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Odd question, but for the 1mil red orbs achievement, Do I need to have a 1mil in my possession or a million overall? Like can I spend them now...>_>:lol

Yasser

shintoki said:
Odd question, but for the 1mil red orbs achievement, Do I need to have a 1mil in my possession or a million overall? Like can I spend them now...>_>:lol
i'm pretty you can spend them; i bought a bunch of purple and blue orbs till i had almost none left yet still got one of the achievements

Dave1988

Finished the game today on Devil Hunter. Very awesome game, but it needs more Dante and less level repetition. I feel like it's DMC3 SE all over again: Nero for everyone due to the game being designed around him and Dante for the more advanced players. Oh well, I hope DMC5 will be designed to incorporate succesfully both Dante and Nero's gameplay.

Top Bottom