• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
hm...putting lock-on on L1 seems like it would produce the same problems. i'll try it though, thanks

Narag

drohne said:
hm...putting lock-on on L1 seems like it would produce the same problems. i'll try it though, thanks

Actually I left lock on r2 and used the middle finger to control it, index nearly always charging the shot on R1 so it held the controller steady for my setup. L2 feels right for the rev/exceed mechanic. L1 was left as a DT for me.

Its all personal preference but I've enjoyed trying to be helpful in this thread.

burgerdog

SnakeXs said:
96th floor.

96th fucking floor and a pair of giant bladed chickens got me.

2 hours.

Goddamnit. =|

I've cleared bloody place, but the attempt before I won I died to the 3 chickens and a blitz cause I ignored the chickens :lol

Anyway, question: For the orb / proud soul achievement that requires 1 million of each, do you need to have said amount at once, or is it accumulative total(so the ones you spent actually count as well)?

burgerdog said:
I've cleared bloody place, but the attempt before I won I died to the 3 chickens and a blitz cause I ignored the chickens :lol

Anyway, question: For the orb / proud soul achievement that requires 1 million of each, do you need to have said amount at once, or is it accumulative total(so the ones you spent actually count as well)?

What you spent counts.

Narag

burgerdog said:

Accumulative. If you want your proud soul total, just sell everything back. Its just shy of 300k when you've bought all moves.

And what the hell are the chickens? I feel like I'm missing out on something. :lol

burgerdog

Narag said:
Accumulative. If you want your proud soul total, just sell everything back. Its just shy of 300k when you've bought all moves.

And what the hell are the chickens? I feel like I'm missing out on something. :lol

It's the enemy that Dante plays baseball with in the meeting room in mission 12. I like to call them rollie pollies for some reason, though >.>

edit:
Thanks guys.

Narag

burgerdog said:
It's the enemy that Dante plays baseball with in the meeting room in mission 12. I like to call them rollie pollies for some reason, though >.>

edit:
Thanks guys.

Ahh, I think my best BP attempt was the same room you lost your previous one. One of them DT'd and just murdered me :p

hteng

Banned
oh wow that stage was painful, 3 giant scarecrows (chickens) and 1 blitz, all can DT after a while. But try to put them togather, or at least position yourself so you can see them all, their throwing blade and spinning charges are surprisingly accurate and does good damage. The blitz is just there to annoy you, it should not hit you if you have decent reflexes but kill those chickens first, always! don't let them throw blades at you.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
I must be good at hand gymnastics. With Nero especially, I have no issue holding square and pressing O.

With my left hand crossing over.

Yeah, I'm hardcore.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
just got to level 62 on bloody palace, and got taken out by a suciding blitz :(

if my hands weren't completely numb and i wasn't supposed to be asleep three hours ago, i'd totally do another run

<3 dmc4

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Anybody got any advice on how to use Dante's different styles in an efficient way? I mean, right now I'm mostly using swordmaster and spinning Rebellion on them and not so much more. I'm not really sure how to work the other ones good.

Yasser

ItsInMyVeins said:
Anybody got any advice on how to use Dante's different styles in an efficient way? I mean, right now I'm mostly using swordmaster and spinning Rebellion on them and not so much more. I'm not really sure how to work the other ones good.
i'm far from being an expert but i personally find going from swordmaster with rebellion equipped to darkslayer pretty easy to do and effective e.g after a few hits with /\, hit right on the d-pad and press O 3 times

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Well, I just beat Hell and Hell... uh... yeah, it was fun :)

Been waiting since before the game came out for my GAF account.

I've been playing off and on lately, but last night I played mission 4 on SoS. I was expecting the blitz to be out on the balcony where he was for Dante, so needless to say I was surprised when he appeared after I killed the frosts. I got blitzpwned the first time (you have to time the L3 charge shots more than I thought). But the second time, I ended up killing him and getting an S the mission.

Played mission 5 on SoS, that mephisto/frost room was pretty tough.

two observations:

1. Anyone else think it is MUCH easier to get an S on a mission here than 1 or 3?

2. Does everyone know that during a DT DB animation you can continuously hit shoot and score some extra chip damage with the phantom swords?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Darkpen said:
wow, really? What was that like?
It was awesome overall. The part where half my tooth fell of is another story though.

Yes, I'm being serious now. I can take pics if you demand >_>. And no, I didn't actually HIT my cheek, I was rather straining myself too hard :(

Dyno

Finished it this weekend. Despite the great fighting, visuals, and overall polish I walked away a bit disappointed.

Reusing the levels the way they did was cheap. Fighting bosses two and even three times is also cheap. Both factors totally destroy any replayability the story mode has. Bloody Palace isn't personally doing it for me, I just rather play another game. I gave up endless fighting when I stop playing Centipede and Galaxian.

So why did they reuse so much bloody material? I have a theory: they had to in order for the game to fit on the standard DVD for the 360. I would be curious to learn the size of the game, how much space it takes up on a 360 disk and how much it takes up on a PS3 Blu-Ray disk.

Yoshichan

Dyno said:
So why did they reuse so much bloody material? I have a theory: they had to in order for the game to fit on the standard DVD for the 360. I would be curious to learn the size of the game, how much space it takes up on a 360 disk and how much it takes up on a PS3 Blu-Ray disk.
:D

Dyno said:

So you think that extra material would be free to develop? Usually a game has a time/monetary budget and you fit the development of said resources into that. I doubt the disk space had anything to do with it.

Dyno

Seiken said:

I know I risk being burned with the hellfire but I'm throwing it out there hoping that someone with more knowledge than me can support or disprove my theory. I wouldn't know where to look when it comes to finding out total game size in Gigabites, or if that's even relevant.

I'm fine with games reusing some stuff here and there but this game went way, way over the line of decency. For example...

The jungle part was beyond shit in this regard. Nero went through and broke a bunch of stuff, ensuring that no one could travel through it again. One would think they would just let that level die but no, instead purple clouds of teleportation allow them to milk this dried-out heffer even more. It was simply shameful.

Dyno

forgeforsaken said:
So you think that extra material would be free to develop? Usually a game has a time/monetary budget and you fit the development of said resources into that. I doubt the disk space had anything to do with it.

Running with your theory, why then did Devil May Cry 4 take so much time and money to develop, to the point where it became a good idea to make us play the same game twice, whereas every other game I've purchased this gen doesn't have to resort to this kind of nonsense?

Dyno said:
Extra content that will appear on it?
Dyno said:
Running with your theory, why then did Devil May Cry 4 take so much time and money to develop, to the point where it became a good idea to make us play the same game twice, whereas every other game I've purchased this gen doesn't have to resort to this kind of nonsense?
You play through somewhat similar areas with different characters. Also, blitz only appears twice on DH and thats in Dante's levels.

burgerdog

The 1mil proud soul achievement is total ass, if you only have around 300k by the time you buy all your moves ;/ I've logged about 40 hours so far and that only got me 300k? No way I'm going to play this for ~120 hours to get that achievement.

Lostconfused said:
Well when the special edition comes out that would disprove that theory wont it.

Why would they do some dumb shit like that? The only reason they made an SE for DMC3 was because the continue system was bullshit and they had no way to patch PS2 games. And even then they only did it because 3 was going GH.

akachan ningen said:
Why would they do some dumb shit like that? The only reason they made an SE for DMC3 was because the continue system was bullshit and they had no way to patch PS2 games. And even then they only did it because 3 was going GH.
This game is severely lacking in unlockable content. I know maybe i am just blind to this whole but Dante is an extra character argument. But whether be it a special edition or DLC, i expect capcom to be selling extra content for this game.

Lostconfused said:
This game is severely lacking in unlockable content. I know maybe i am just blind to this whole but Dante is an extra character argument. But whether be it a special edition or DLC, i expect capcom to be selling extra content for this game.

Well obviously it would be DLC.

Junpei Heat

prodystopian said:
Been waiting since before the game came out for my GAF account.

I've been playing off and on lately, but last night I played mission 4 on SoS. I was expecting the blitz to be out on the balcony where he was for Dante, so needless to say I was surprised when he appeared after I killed the frosts. I got blitzpwned the first time (you have to time the L3 charge shots more than I thought). But the second time, I ended up killing him and getting an S the mission.

Played mission 5 on SoS, that mephisto/frost room was pretty tough.

two observations:

1. Anyone else think it is MUCH easier to get an S on a mission here than 1 or 3?

2. Does everyone know that during a DT DB animation you can continuously hit shoot and score some extra chip damage with the phantom swords?

Yes and yes.

Dyno said:
Somewhat similar? Why are you being so charitable with your descriptions?

With Dante you fight on the city streets and with Nero you fight on the balconies. :D

Honestly, the bosses feel very different when you fight them the second time. Mission 19 is just lame.

Yoshichan

akachan ningen said:
With Dante you fight on the city streets and with Nero you fight on the balconies. :D

Honestly, the bosses feel very different when you fight them the second time. Mission 19 is just lame.
Oh yeah... in Hell and Hell, the street battle with Dante was pretty damn intense. Seriously, wow.

Am I missing something when I DB the knights? In the DMD mission 5 video it looks like Nero revs it longer than I remember doing when I play. Maybe it just seems shorter because I am thinking about my next move. Is there some combo you can do after hitting O for the buster on the knights?

Top Bottom