• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
McBradders said:
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH LASERS!

I hate level 10 XD
thats actually really easy to do, Air hike and tricksters cuts through the lazers. So pretty much...just jump air hike, jump hire hike, and if you think your gonna hit a alzer...trickster. No skill require...just keep doing it till the lazer part for you lol

To be honest, Its pretty easy even if you dont want to do it randomly. Just save up thr tricksters part is all. Took me about 3 tries before I could do it everytime.

Now the Royal..Guardian one...RAWR!!! I hate it >_<

Narag

shintoki said:
thats actually really easy to do, Air hike and tricksters cuts through the lazers. So pretty much...just jump air hike, jump hire hike, and if you think your gonna hit a alzer...trickster. No skill require...just keep doing it till the lazer part for you lol

To be honest, Its pretty easy even if you dont want to do it randomly. Just save up thr tricksters part is all. Took me about 3 tries before I could do it everytime.

That's 12. Its a bit harder with Nero in 10 and I wouldn't even try it without air hike there as its not fun.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Narag said:
That's 12. Its a bit harder with Nero in 10 and I wouldn't even try it without air hike there as its not fun.
You really dont need trickstar, just makes it 10x easier lol

Then which one are you talking about? if its not 12?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
shintoki said:
Now the Royal..Guardian one...RAWR!!! I hate it >_<
Kill the first Mephisto, that SM is super easy!

Seiken said:
Kill the first Mephisto, that SM is super easy!

I got really good with RG in DMC3, but haven't played it in a while. That SM was really frustrating just because I should have been able to do it so much quicker.

Narag

shintoki said:
You really dont need trickstar, just makes it 10x easier lol

Then which one are you talking about? if its not 12?

You have to go through the lasers the first time in 10 then back through them on the way out in 12 iirc.

Kyouji said:
What are you talking about? It modifies the attack properties of certain moves for both Dante and Nero (along with enhancing Devil Buster specials to awesome levels). The only loss is DT Flux, and maybe the weapon-specific enhancements you had in 3.

and 1. I wanna shoot lightning out of my hands.

Danielsan

So I fired up DMC4 again. Got to get through SOS. Finally decided to map the gun to LB, my brain couldn't handle it at first but now it's almost second nature. The only problem left is that my left hand can hardly handle keep LB pressed aswell as revving on LT, can't play too long because it will start too cramp up. Still those level 3 charge shots are mighty handy and have really been bumping my rank up.

I'm now at mission 10 on SOS and I was doing just fine untill Dante. I can't even get past half his lifebar. Anyone have any pointers?

Victrix

*beard*
1) You can lock-on buster grab him out of several of his attack strings, try it from the air

2) Shoot him briefly at close-medium range to get him to counter-shoot, then either combo his ass (if you have a revved blade ready) or buster him. Keep a l1 rev ready at all times, the faster swing will hit him before he can counter-hit you out of E&I counter-fire.

3) Instant rev one charge always, use the pillars for cover, and slow charge to 3 revs before engaging with a buster grab (or swing through counter-fire)

Narag

Danielsan said:
So I fired up DMC4 again. Got to get through SOS. Finally decided to map the gun to LB, my brain couldn't handle it at first but now it's almost second nature. The only problem left is that my left hand can hardly handle keep LB pressed aswell as revving on LT, can't play too long because it will start too cramp up. Still those level 3 charge shots are mighty handy and have really been bumping my rank up.

I'm now at mission 10 on SOS and I was doing just fine untill Dante. I can't even get past half his lifebar. Anyone have any pointers?

Abuse the top of the platform and snatch/buster him when he jumps up or get him into pistolfights and do the same there. Once you get him down, don't be afraid to pop a health item if its close and he's nearly dead too. You can always go back and try for a higher rank after the fact.

Danielsan

Narag said:
Abuse the top of the platform and snatch/buster him when he jumps up or get him into pistolfights and do the same there. Once you get him down, don't be afraid to pop a health item if its close and he's nearly dead too. You can always go back and try for a higher rank after the fact.
I'm sorry but I don't do items. Never have and never will in a DMC game. Besides I'd prefer it if I S ranked the mission (like almost all the other SOS missions) and using an item wouldn't help that cause. :lol I've been trying to buster him but so far it seems to be very hit or miss. Sometimes he manages to escape the buster and initiate asskicking mode with gilgamesh on me. Ooh well, I'll keep on trying, will see what I can do with that platform.

Narag

Danielsan said:
I'm sorry but I don't do items.

I can't fault for you that. I'll admit I have once or twice due to frustration but man, its an expensive prospect. I don't know if its like this in previous games but compared to 3, scoring seems rather lenient at times. Its possible to use items and still S rank a mission.

Danielsan

Narag said:
I can't fault for you that. I'll admit I have once or twice due to frustration but man, its an expensive prospect. I don't know if its like this in previous games but compared to 3, scoring seems rather lenient at times. Its possible to use items and still S rank a mission.
Scoring an S rank is incredibly easy compared to DMC3. Most of that is due to the fact that damage is no longer a factor in your ranking.

Narag

Danielsan said:
Scoring an S rank is incredibly easy compared to DMC3. Most of that is due to the fact that damage is no longer a factor in your ranking.

Was it a transition to a straight scoring system? I recall No Damage was necessary for SS ranking the stuff in 3 and I've been wondering if they changed it to encourage more of a score attack scenario given the leaderboards.

Rimshot

I need to admit something shameful...

I found Uncharted far more enjoyable then DMC4 and I used to love the DMC series. Not saying it isn't any good. Just wasn't up to the standard I expected.

RyuHayate

Rimshot said:
I need to admit something shameful...

I found Uncharted far more enjoyable then DMC4 and I used to love the DMC series. Not saying it isn't any good. Just wasn't up to the standard I expected.

I'm a little confused by this. They're in two different genres. Could it just be that you're a bigger fan of shooters at the moment?

Rimshot

RyuHayate said:
I'm a little confused by this. They're in two different genres. Could it just be that your a bigger fan of shooters at the moment?

I would say both are action/adventures. Uncharted just kept me more captivated into the world / story. As I don't feel the same amount of joy and immersion in the dmc title as the past ones. (I do not count the second game into the series, that was just something horrible i dreamt up while having a nightmare!)

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Narag said:
You have to go through the lasers the first time in 10 then back through them on the way out in 12 iirc.
Oh...I thought you were reffering to the Secret Mission 12....:lol Where you can't use the time stop

Kyouji said:
All this story talk has reminded me why you do not let the fanbase touch the canon, even for something as hilarious as DMC.

Back to the game though. Dante + Bloody Palace = Fuck yeah. Most fun I've had since DMC3's Nevan.

Hey, I didn't think my idea was that bad, dude.

And yes, it was bloody palace where I realized Dante is better than I initially thought during my time with him in the game. I found it easier to take out enemies, though I'm still weaksauce since the damn faust still rapes my time... and the damn blitz... grrr. I need more abilities and higher level moves I guess.

Rektash

Just finished DH mode in 13:41h (started right in DH). Besides some horrible designed missions (3,4,19) the game was great fun. Both Nero and Dante had quite a lot of intresting weapons and skilling possibilities. All in all its the best DMC game for me so far. Hell I can t even wait for SOS, finally mobs with enough HP to drive up the comb'o'meter.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
lol...I did not know about that table trick for Dante fight...But christ. It took all the fun out. Sit up there with a charge shot and just buster him:lol

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
That's my 8:th time beating the game now. The game doesn't seem to lose it's awesomeness o_o...

1x Human
1x Devil Hunter
2x Son of Sparda
1x Dante Must Die
2x Heaven or Hell
1x Heaven and Hell

If only the achievements wasn't so pointless on the PS3-version... I'm only missing 5 of them :(

Bah, I still can't get enough style on Mission 2 for an S in style, Human/DH and SoS, best I managed is an A, a bloody scarecrow hit me as I was bustering another (thanks camera) I can never dodget Berial properly, we'll see if I can when I finally buy enemy step. I did manage to S missions 3 and 4 just now though on SoS.
A Blitz in mission 4, that I was not expecting

Awesome bit in that Brea video, Nero dropkicks the Angel's energy ball back at them.

Sidzed2

Does anyone here agree with my assessment of DMC4?

POSITIVES:

- Amazing cutscenes with unparalleled production values, unusually good voice acting, and often hilarious dialogue.

- A seemingly simple combat system for Nero which allows for staggering depth and finesse with inclusions such as I-Rev, Buster-countering, and interesting character upgrades.

-A pared down but immensely flexible Dante fighting system.

-Often stunning graphically, with sections that display immense technical prowess.

-A perfect difficulty level for normal to average players, with harder and easier levels which ARE ACTUALLY harder and easier in the right degree!

-Decent checkpointing system

-Some of the most ADDICTIVE gameplay I've ever experienced. I cannot put this game down, seriously.

-Great cutscene theatre, library, gallery, etc. Love those sorts of features.

NEGATIVES:

-The well presented story is nonetheless a tiny bit uneventful; the antagonist is not compelling, and there could have been a more tidy way of referencing past games and or addressing Nero's heritage.

-Some areas looked underdeveloped and ropey, namely the Forest levels. The game veers from stunning to average, sometimes in the same level. Doesn't look a patch on Lost Planet or RE5 footage, in my opinion.

-Repetition; while this didn't bug me as much as I thought it would, it comes across as slightly lazy. Considering that every individual environment has about 2 levels set in it, there are really only about 5 actual distinct areas in the game.

- The music in this series has never been as good as it was in DMC1...never. DMC4 is very respectable, though, in this regard. So not reeally a negative.

-Lacklustre additional content

-Jumping mechanics are so lame that it hurts...seriously, make jumping fun, Capcom.

Overall though, the Positives clearly carry more weight. If only this was a bit more polished in terms of content, it would be AMAZING. As it is, it's just REALLY, REALLY GOOD in my eyes. A definite 8.5 out of 10.

Tideas

Banned
CrushDance said:
Any comparison between PS3 and 360 leader boards worldwide? It'd be interesting to see which side is doing better.

Japan wise = PS3

Euro wise = probably even. But we'll find out next week.

America = we'll find out in 3 weeks

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Is there any tips for the final boss when his shield is down...lol.Its frustrating trying to hit him so you can combo him >_<

Yoshichan

Sidzed2 said:
*Huge text that represents the truth*
Wow, this sums DMC4 up. I dislike and like the exact same things, and the score is so accurate it's not even funny.
shintoki said:
Is there any tips for the final boss when his shield is down...lol.Its frustrating trying to hit him so you can combo him >_<
I usually do this:

Great distance from boss. Shoot one of his "lamps". Move back and wait for him to do an attack (hopefully ground attack). Turn on DT. Snatch the targeted "lamp". Snatch the boss. Hit him once (that's twice with DT turned on) and buster him QUICK. That'll make him fall on the grounds.

This worked in DMD and HaH :).

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Seiken said:
Wow, this sums DMC4 up. I dislike and like the exact same things, and the score is so accurate it's not even funny.

I usually do this:

Great distance from boss. Shoot one of his "lamps". Move back and wait for him to do an attack (hopefully ground attack). Turn on DT. Snatch the targeted "lamp". Snatch the boss. Hit him once (that's twice with DT turned on) and buster him QUICK. That'll make him fall on the grounds.

This worked in DMD and HaH :).
...wait...I can buster him to hit him on the ground?....So...

Sidzed2

shintoki said:

Um, my strategy is to keep on the ground as much as possible and just doggedly run after him. Obviously you jump if those dang ground attacks come streaming your way or he shoots those multiple fireballs, but basically keep running after him until he stops and starts to recharge his shield again. At this point, jump up and do a I-REV'ed air combo and you should knock him down just before the shield comes back up.

Victrix

*beard*
shintoki said:
...wait...I can buster him to hit him on the ground?....So...

I didn't realize there was another way to do it once he got low on health - once he started moving fast, the only way I could stop him with his shield down was to buster him. There's another way to make him drop?

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Couple questions:

1. How do you "cancel" moves?
2. How and when do you "buster counter"
3. How do you do that move that you often see in the youtube videos where the guy uses Nero's buster but the enemy remains suspended in the air.
4. Is it me, or can one Instant-rev faster when they're not swinging at an enemy (or I should say, "through" an enemy)
5. How do you take care of the lighting-beast enemies? You cannot attack them with your sword -- how else can you attack them (guns are weak against them)

shintoki said:
Up+Triangle, don't bother running to get him when the shields go down because he'll come to you anyway. I just hit him when he teleported beside me, if I missed he'd regain his shields quick. I think you're supposed to dodge and attack and then DT+O and pummel him.

Worked for me :p

Even for the first fight with "him" it's the same. When the shields go down, don't try and grab him because you'll miss sometimes and get frustrated. better to just run to him and jump over attacks and UP+Triangle to bring him down. He doesn't run away when you're on the ground only when grappling to him.

Yoshichan

dirtmonkey37 said:
You're actually canceling moves all the time. You're just not aware of it :)

/\ (Y), /\ (Y), High Roller = Simple cancel move

Narag

shintoki said:

When its the beginning of the fight, put some bullets into him and he'll guard with Sparda. You can buster him out of this. As the fight progresses, he'll guard melee with Sparda if you're up on him and you'll buster him then.

As mentioned, an air combo can knock his shield down as soon as its regenerated. After the AoE attack while he says something about the savior, one can snatch up to him and use IR attacks to knock the shield down before he's done recovering from this.
When he does his weird teleport sword attack, a level 3 charged shot can knock him out of it if you shoot him before he swings, if not a streak after the swing then a charged shot when he reappears right after can knock him down. The same goes for his teleport swordx2 attack when he gets further down in hp.

If he does the fireball attack, a safe zone is directly beneath him. After the attack finishes, you can just jump up and melee him to knock him down. Another cute trick is counting the attacks on his shield and putting a level 3 charged shot into him right before the shield is knocked down. He'll teleport away shortly thereafter but the secondary explosion can stun him long enough for you to reach him again.

Yoshichan

Narag said:
If he does the fireball attack, a safe zone is directly beneath him.
I said "sweet mother of God"... so much time wasted, trying to dodge his fucking fireball shit!

Narag

Seiken said:
I said "sweet mother of God"... so much time wasted, trying to dodge his fucking fireball shit!

If it makes you feel better, I only learned that after spending 4 hours trying to get into the top 10 on the 360 DH M20 board. :p

The good part is it applies to all difficulties and level 11 too!

Yoshichan

Narag said:
If it makes you feel better, I only learned that after spending 4 hours trying to get into the top 10 on the 360 DH M20 board. :p

The good part is it applies to all difficulties and level 11 too!
Thanks a lot man, this will help me with S-ranking a lot :).

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Seiken said:
You're actually canceling moves all the time. You're just not aware of it :)

/\ (Y), /\ (Y), High Roller = Simple cancel move

Well, in that youtube movie by "brea", he juggled one of the snow-monsters in the air by only performing the first two slashes of the air-combo (Nero) and cancelling the third one somehow. I don't know how he did that, but it was amazing.

He was in the air:

High-roller (or whatever Nero's equivalent of that move is called), /\ , /\ and he kept doing /\ , /\ and never did the third and last "/\" (if you get what I mean). He performed the first two slashes of Nero's aerial combo and somehow cancelled the last slash. How?!?!?

And how do you... *refers back to items 2 - 5 in the last post* :D

dirtmonkey37 said:
Couple questions:

2. How and when do you "buster counter" (I used it for the
last boss
but can you use it in general combat?)
3. How do you do that move that you often see in the youtube videos where the guy uses Nero's buster but the enemy remains suspended in the air.
4. Is it me, or can one Instant-rev faster when they're not swinging at an enemy (or I should say, "through" an enemy)
5. How do you take care of the lighting-beast enemies? You cannot attack them with your sword -- how else can you attack them (guns are weak against them)

Yoshichan

dirtmonkey37, that's the awesome power of jump-cancelling :). There are tons of guides out there how to do it, but really, it requires lots of training. And Brea's simply amazing, it looks so easy to her.

Top Bottom