• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Danielsan

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Danielsan said:
I definitely like him but next time I would like more variety in his moves and weapons. I also want them to properly explain who and what he really is.

Other stuff that is much needed:
-Better music, sorry shootie but your music is garbage
-Needs to be 50/50 Nero/Dante and Dante shouldn't feel like an afterthought.
-Vergil needs to return.
-The game needs a real badguy, not some senile pope figure with a ridiculous laugh.
-No goddamn backtracking
-More devilarms than all games combined, as you promised before Capcom.
-No more than two weapons on the fly switching.
-Hire some proper writers and give the game a proper story (like DMC3) please.
-More bosses, more human size bosses (Credo is my favorite DMC4 boss for a reason).
-1vs1 online battles, Nero vs Dante, Dante vs Vergil etc.. (should work out just like the bossbattles)
-Unlockable costumes
-online Co-op bloody palace
-SOS difficulty should replace Devil Hunter or should atleast be available from the start.
-Beating the game at a higher difficulty should also unlock the crap you get for the lower difficulty stuff. It's not fun playing the game on human after you've already beaten it on Devil Hunter Capcom.
I agree with all of this except Vergil needing to return. I just don't see the point there. It would seem forced if he were to come back as a villain after all he's been through with Mundus. Not to mention he and Dante seemed to reach a sort of peace by the end of DMC3. On the other hand, with Nero on the scene, theres no need for another hero.

Darkpen

Banned
Mefisutoferesu said:
The problem with DMC4's music is it attempts to imitate the other DMC games' music without any context. DMC3's thematic was a crazy party time kid Dante grows up, thus we have hard rock music with touch a soft seemingly meaningful parts interjected. DMC1 had its music set the tone with organ music, which is often associated religiously, acting as a reminder of the gothic setting and whole Angel/Devil concept. DMC4 should have tried to establish its own identity, musically, rather than just imitating its brethren, which forces comparisons out of context and giving the other games an inherent edge.
If you go back through the game, you'll notice the heavy use of the "Shall Never Surrender" song's melody for the sensitive pieces. As for the more heavy metal parts, I think that's probably a byproduct of 3, as you've noted, but I don't find it too terribly surprising. I mean, if anything, Nero's a slightly more sensitive version of young Dante, so it kinda works, thought not as blatantly obvious.

I'm really disliking the three way weapon switch.

I wish Dante was set-up like this:

(PS3 controls)

/\ = Rebellion (always, built in)
O = Gilgamesh or Lucifer (change between these two via L1)
X = Jump
[] = Shoot

L1 = Swap the weapon for the O button. (nice and easy two - way switch, very twitch based)

L2 = Trickster Dash. Simple enough.

R1 = lock-on

R2 = Devil trigger

You might say, what about Gunslinger or Royal Guard? You can incorperate gunslinger into buffered square attacks, much like how Nero does already. And royal guard, well -- the concept of royal guard is pressing a button at the moment of enemy impact, this can be allocated to essentially anything.

Kittonwy

Banned
Danielsan said:
No, DMC1.

This is how you do Devil May Cry music http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZYfb6m7z9s
Not that silly metal shit in DMC3 and 4.

Sad to say but DMC1 still is the number one in the series in my eyes.

I wanna chocolate.
angry.gif

mission 19 in Sos is starting to tick me off, Iam going for the S rank and now berial or Beal kick my ass.

Also mission 4 DMD is killer. Damn you blitz!

Sandman42

Berial STILL kicks my ass on Son of Sparda or higher. I just can't consistantly beat him, even in bloody palace. Despite the fact that I've beaten him 25 times in the demo.

Bastard.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Toonami 99 said:
Also mission 4 DMD is killer. Damn you blitz!
One shot with a lvl 3 charged Blue Rose is enough in DMD, if I remember correctly (of course, this will take him to his berserker mode).

ith3r

Banned
As a newcomer to the series, I feel that I have a fresh, unbiased view that is much more closer to the truth, and man, I'm compelled to share it.

Seriously, CAPCOM dropped the fucking ball with this game, I can hardly express it.

How the fuck do you name your "A" rank fucking "Atomic"?! "OMG Nero, you're so cool with your smooth sword moves. Like, they're totally ehh, hmm, atomic?"

That's an insult, that's what it is! The game is telling me that my combos are like extremely tiny indivisible particles or some shit like that. Fuck that.

It's such an obvious thing, the only possible word for an "A" rank is Awesome.

It's a shame, the game could be a solid 9 affair, but I'll have to take at least 2 points from my personal review. What a shame CAPCOM, what a shame.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yay, SoS beat, halfway through Heaven or Hell now. I'm probably going to go for some S ranks before I jump into DMD. :)

Narag

ith3r said:
As a newcomer to the series, I feel that I have a fresh, unbiased view that is much more closer to the truth, and man, I'm compelled to share it.

Seriously, CAPCOM dropped the fucking ball with this game, I can hardly express it.

How the fuck do you name your "A" rank fucking "Atomic"?! "OMG Nero, you're so cool with your smooth sword moves. Like, they're totally ehh, hmm, atomic?"

That's an insult, that's what it is! The game is telling me that my combos are like extremely tiny indivisible particles or some shit like that. Fuck that.

It's a shame, the game could be a solid 9 affair, but I'll have to take at least 2 points from my personal review. What a shame CAPCOM, what a shame.

In the grand scheme of life, atomic is just a path to stylish.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
ith3r said:

:lol Though they already used Awesome in DMC1... sorry!

gconsole

The people who prefer DMC2 soundtrack to DMC4 really really has a bad taste. After 'The Viper', 'Swipe of the Word', 'Out of Darkness (Prologue)' and 'Shall never surrender', how could any track from DMC2 compete this? DMC4 soundtrack is a lot closer to DMC which remind me of great gothic techno music. That is a lot lot better than anything DMC2 can provide.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I'm have to say...I'm really like Nero's combat more since the game feels made for him compared to Dante. I would have easily said this would have been the best DMC game if they made Nero have 20original levels for himself. And made Dante like vergil was in DMC4...except re-mix the levels around for him and give his own cutscenes then. Kind of like they did except a more so. Bosses are encountered differently and such. They should have made more bosses fights too...like Gloria..I would like to see that:lol

Anyways...how much harder is DMD in this one from SOS?

And I see Naricat at number one on my list for most of the stuff....Until now:lol I beat him on level 9...Yes it made me proud:lol

Yoshichan

shintoki said:
Anyways...how much harder is DMD in this one from SOS?
Dude, it's not even comparable. SoS is a joke, so is Demon Hunter and Human. DMD? Not a joke.

Yoshichan

shintoki said:
Was it as easy as it was on DMC3?
I never tried DMD in DMC3 so I wouldn't know. It's hard though and it's the mode I've had most fun with. Note that Hell and Hell is slightly easier.

Narag

shintoki said:
Was it as easy as it was on DMC3?
DMD in DMC4 is easier than DMD in DMC3. I couldn't even beat Agni & Rudra in the last and I've been destroying this game. :D

Nero's Level 3 charged shot hits stupid hard even in DMD and Dante + RG totally neuters the blitzes.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Seiken said:
I never tried DMD in DMC3 so I wouldn't know. It's hard though and it's the mode I've had most fun with. Note that Hell and Hell is slightly easier.
Hell and Hell is sightly easier?:lol How so...Isn't that where you get hit once your dead?:lol

Narag said:
DMD in DMC4 is easier than DMD in DMC3. I couldn't even beat Agni & Rudra in the last and I've been destroying this game. :D

Nero's Level 3 charged shot hits stupid hard even in DMD and Dante + RG totally neuters the blitzes.
Oh I know about those Charge shots...:lol The level 3 one is ****ing sick.

Narag

shintoki said:
Hell and Hell is sightly easier?:lol How so...Isn't that where you get hit once your dead?:lol

SoS Difficulty + 3 extra lives so you rez on the spot you were knocked down.
That can backfire though as Berial cornered me on my first try and killed me 3 times before I recovered :(

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Narag said:
That can backfire though as Berial cornered me on my first try and killed me 3 times before I recovered :(
So they give you three lives when your playing? Still gonna be tough for me:lol I would have much perferred it on DMC3...Tricksters was heaven ^_^

And I see your high ranked on allot of stuff:lol

Yoshichan

Narag said:
Berials the man!

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Probably been answered a bunch of times in this thread but I cant find it :/
Whats the best way to farm for red orbs and souls? I been doing mission 2 for red orbs (get around like 9000~ on human mode so im around done on that) but souls is being a bitch for me :lol

Having alot of fun on the game...but jeez I suck at bloody palace...barely can get to the first Blitz and it just owns me lol

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Corran Horn said:
Probably been answered a bunch of times in this thread but I cant find it :/
Whats the best way to farm for red orbs and souls? I been doing mission 2 for red orbs (get around like 9000~ on human mode so im around done on that) but souls is being a bitch for me :lol

Having alot of fun on the game...but jeez I suck at bloody palace...barely can get to the first Blitz and it just owns me lol

Bloody Palace is good for orb farming.

C- Warrior said:
I'm really disliking the three way weapon switch.

I wish Dante was set-up like this:

(PS3 controls)

/\ = Rebellion (always, built in)
O = Gilgamesh or Lucifer (change between these two via L1)
X = Jump
[] = Shoot

L1 = Swap the weapon for the O button. (nice and easy two - way switch, very twitch based)

L2 = Trickster Dash. Simple enough.

R1 = lock-on

R2 = Devil trigger

You might say, what about Gunslinger or Royal Guard? You can incorperate gunslinger into buffered square attacks, much like how Nero does already. And royal guard, well -- the concept of royal guard is pressing a button at the moment of enemy impact, this can be allocated to essentially anything.

X-Melee
Y-Style Ability
B-Royal Guard
A-Jump/Roll

RB-Swap Gun
RT-Gun
LB-Swap Melee
LT-Lock On

D-Pad ^- Devil Bringer(Nero goes evil, Dante kills him. or whatever)
D-Pad <- Gunslinger
D-Pad >- Sword Master
D-Pad v- Activate Devil Trigger

R-Stick -Trickster
R-Click -Trickster Teleport(locked on)
L-Click -Taunt

So yeah, there's really only 3 styles, with Royal Guard and Trickster being available at all times, although they would still be upgraded normally. Of course, only two of each weapon. I was originally thinking of just having 2 buttons for each weapon type, but then I'd have to get rid of sword master and gunslinger, and swap LB and B. Select is also open now, so I guess you could put the devil trigger there and have a new style. I guess you could also get rid of the styles and just have Y be Devil Bringer with expanded movesets for the guns(inputs other than just "fire") and melee weapons, but that's no fun. These changes might make Dante a lot more defensible and maneuverable, changing a lot of gameplay assumptions, so some things might change(like AI aggression).

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i don't do a ton of weapon switching when i play dante, but the three-way switch hasn't really bothered me. didn't you guys play any of the dozens of 2d shooters that had similar weapon-switching setups? it's not hard to get a feel for how many taps you need to get to the weapon you want -- it's either one or two

i'm pretty bad at style-switching, though -- that reach for the d-pad throws me off. i'll have to experiment with weird setups...can you move styles to the shoulder buttons? having immediate access to trickster and swordmaster would be pretty cool

Narag

drohne said:
i don't do a ton of weapon switching when i play dante, but the three-way switch hasn't really bothered me. didn't you guys play any of the dozens of 2d shooters that had similar weapon-switching setups? it's not hard to get a feel for how many taps you need to get to the weapon you want -- it's either one or two

For me, usually at least one weapon feels superfluous and I find myself accidentally changing. This was killing me on no damage M18 runs as I'd pull out the wrong gun or whip out lucifer accidentally.

Also, I don't know if anyone brought this up yet but Nero's DT offers a few invincible frames so you can pop it if you're caught in Berial's explosion. If timed right, you won't have any damage taken.

I've finally figured out the negative vibe I have with this game. This game is broken down into missions... but god damn what messy missions these are. No structure. No balance. Sometimes I like re-playing missions in videogames. Uncharted for example. Every mission is not only eye candy, but fun as hell. In DMC4, why the hell would I ever want to re-play level 3 for the fun of it? Missions are set up with crappy puzzles, Too long of boring sections between bosses. etc.

Maybe Capcom should address this in future releases. Puzzle stages should be by themselves or at least in one mission (How fun was it traveling through the castle past the spinning tops on the purple platforms just to come back to them in the next mission... gah).

It's keeping me from playing very long during my sessions with the game.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
I've finally figured out the negative vibe I have with this game. This game is broken down into missions... but god damn what messy missions these are. No structure. No balance. Sometimes I like re-playing missions in videogames. Uncharted for example. Every mission is not only eye candy, but fun as hell. In DMC4, why the hell would I ever want to re-play level 3 for the fun of it? Missions are set up with crappy puzzles, Too long of boring sections between bosses. etc.

Maybe Capcom should address this in future releases. Puzzle stages should be by themselves or at least in one mission (How fun was it traveling through the castle past the spinning tops on the purple platforms just to come back to them in the next mission... gah).

It's keeping me from playing very long during my sessions with the game.

Totally disagree. As will -many- others. Replaying the missions in DMC4 on harder settings and shooting for higher ranks is the crutch appeal of the game, by far.

Especially moreso since you know what to do, so the level becomes more of an arcade-time attack.

What do you mean the missions have no structure? Or balance? Stop using abstract words when you're trying to specifically delineate issues :lol

C- Warrior said:
Totally disagree. As will -many- others. Replaying the missions in DMC4 on harder settings and shooting for higher ranks is the crutch appeal of the game, by far.

Especially moreso since you know what to do, so the level becomes more of an arcade-time attack.

What do you mean the missions have no structure? Or balance? Stop using abstract words when you're trying to specifically delineate issues :lol

What I mean is, they'll have a short mission, then a long puzzley mission with a boss at the end, then a short mission with a boss, then 2 without, another with. I really didn't have fun playing through mission 3 several times. If you're going to break a game down by missions, make each one memorable. You know?

EDIT: and mission 4... *shudder*

I guess another thing is this is the first new gen game I've actually thought about missions I'd be replaying on a second play through and think "meh" (since The Darkness).

I should mention that timed runs and S runs don't do anything for me if the missions aren't fun to begin with.

C- Warrior said:

He's right you know. The pacing, puzzles and how the levels are structured are poorly designed. Sure it gets less tedious once you replay them and know what to do, but it would have been 10x better going through the game again if they were actually good in the first place.

DantesWrath said:
He's right you know. The pacing, puzzles and how the levels are structured are poorly designed. Sure it gets less tedious once you replay them and know what to do, but it would have been 10x better going through the game again if they were actually good in the first place.

I don't know about you, but I'm not sure I'd consider pushing around a bunch of spinning blades to get to a boss fight as something I'd enjoy playing after "knowing what to do". Are you serious with that?

... and that has NOTHING to do with skill.

Narag

MoonsaultSlayer said:
I don't know about you, but I'm not sure I'd consider pushing around a bunch of spinning blades to get to a boss fight as something I'd enjoy playing after "knowing what to do". Are you serious with that?

... and that has NOTHING to do with skill.

Level 4 sours the rest of the game?

DantesWrath said:

Other than the occasional odd ball puzzle (dice game, looking at you) be more specific when you say poorly designed? I thought the various rooms and levels were gorgeous. The game had great continuity from each area to area. Be more specific?

The castle was designed and made perfect sense. No room or anything led to some other random room. There was not any room repetition (like the 3D castlevania games) each room, also contained a unique color tone. For example, the main hall had a bluish tint to it, while the toture chamber in the same castle a nice red hue, and then the outside was a nice dark blue snow.

The pacing was well thought out in a sense that you were being exposed to new enemies, bosses, and abilities throughout Nero's game in addition to new environments as well as story arcs. There are 9 unique boss fights which easily eclipse any other action game released this gen. Not too mention many of which being extremely well designed.

Ultimately, be more specific. I understand the odd-setting puzzle, but what about the level structure was odd? The connection between areas and rooms made sense, the art and tech., behind the visuals of each level was impressive...etc

Narag said:
Level 4 sours the rest of the game?

It's an example. All I tried stating was that I wish the game's missions were a bit more balanced. When I replay mission X, I want it to be as satisfying as Mission Y. I don't like games where I tend to passover missions that disappoint. Someone mentioned the Japanese. I've stated that no amount of "skill runs" would make certain missions "fun" for me.

Again, this was MY negative vibe I was getting from the game.

I love the game guys, just mentioning the one ting that is bugging me about it.

C- Warrior said:
Ultimately, be more specific. I understand the odd-setting puzzle, but what about the level structure was odd? The connection between areas and rooms made sense, the art and tech., behind the visuals of each level was impressive...etc

The 3 Gyro Blades to unlock the arena, thats probably the worst part. Except for the forest, the whole forest level just sucks even if i can do the puzzle perfectly.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
In spite of the above, OH MY GOD, I love this game.

I swear, with each consecutive playthrough of the missions, I like the game better. This is really a fighting game rolled into a game that would be classified as action-adventure.

Last game I had this much fun with: Assassin's Creed. Every time I turn on my PS3, I feel this exuberant feeling of rejoice and anticipation. God, I love this game so much. Of course, I recently beat Mass Effect too, and despite the innovations Bioware offered with their sci-fi epic, I'm afraid I'm going to have to say I like DMC4 a lot better.

It is definitely a super-replayable, action packed, gain-mastery-over-the-mechanics, type of game -- I love that.

Narag

MoonsaultSlayer said:
It's an example. All I tried stating was that I wish the game's missions were a bit more balanced. When I replay mission X, I want it to be as satisfying as Mission Y. I don't like games where I tend to passover missions that disappoint. Someone mentioned the Japanese. I've stated that no amount of "skill runs" would make certain missions "fun" for me.

Again, this was MY negative vibe I was getting from the game.

I love the game guys, just mentioning the one ting that is bugging me about it.
Yeah, nothing wrong with that. No game is perfect though and I think regardless of any game, we'd all have a few select missions we prefer replaying over others.

Few thoughts:

I could really do with a customizable training mode. Someplace to screw around, try out new stuff, and practice without having to worry about time limits or dying.

I've been switching up my controls a bit trying to find something for Nero that works well. I am having a really hard time multitasking with charging BR, timing my exceeds, and holding lock. Doing all three at once usually leaves my fingers in awkward positions. Sucks, it seems like I'm fighting more with managing the controls than with the game's difficulty itself.

I wish there were more boss battles with humanoid opponents ala Credo. Fighting him was pretty intense for me, and enjoyable. Sadly, too many games like this (NG comes to mind) focus on lolhueg bosses, but beating them usually ends up feeling very formulaic.

Completed SoS last night. Hehe, I can see now I'm going to be playing this game for a very long time. Definitely one of my favorite titles this gen so far.

Narag

Ezenzer said:
Few thoughts:

I could really do with a customizable training mode. Someplace to screw around, try out new stuff, and practice without having to worry about time limits or dying.

I've been switching up my controls a bit trying to find something for Nero that works well. I am having a really hard time multitasking with charging BR, timing my exceeds, and holding lock. Doing all three at once usually leaves my fingers in awkward positions. Sucks, it seems like I'm fighting more with managing the controls than with the game's difficulty itself.

I wish there were more boss battles with humanoid opponents ala Credo. Fighting him was pretty intense for me, and enjoyable. Sadly, too many games like this (NG comes to mind) focus on lolhueg bosses, but beating them usually ends up feeling very formulaic.

Completed SoS last night. Hehe, I can see now I'm going to be playing this game for a very long time. Definitely one of my favorite titles this gen so far.

While its not an ideal training mode, the torture chamber offers a lot of leeway for messing around with moves given you can respawn the enemies over and over.

Top Bottom