• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Seiken said:
dirtmonkey37, that's the awesome power of jump-cancelling :). There are tons of guides out there how to do it, but really, it requires lots of training. And Brea's simply amazing, it looks so easy to her.

Oh. That's one of the four moves that I haven't bought as Nero yet. Hehe. It came in handy in the demo but I never actually saw its purchase to fruition.

I'll have to get that. Just a few more proud souls. Oh my God, this game is addictive. The last time I enjoyed a game like this was, oddly enough, with Viva Pinata. I would go on the internet and research secrets and tricks on how to attract and mate the exotic pinatas :D. Viva Pinata's game design was so nuanced and rooted in personal discovery. The more time you put in, the more tricks and secrets you'd learn.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
shintoki said:
also, anything of that boss I can buster or snatch?
Mission 20 boss? You can buster or snatch everything :eek:

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
dirtmonkey37 said:
Couple questions:

2. How and when do you "buster counter"
3. How do you do that move that you often see in the youtube videos where the guy uses Nero's buster but the enemy remains suspended in the air.
4. Is it me, or can one Instant-rev faster when they're not swinging at an enemy (or I should say, "through" an enemy)
5. How do you take care of the lighting-beast enemies? You cannot attack them with your sword -- how else can you attack them (guns are weak against them)

Anyone?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
You can only buster counter some stuff.
Credos
spear, for instance.
3. How do you do that move that you often see in the youtube videos where the guy uses Nero's buster but the enemy remains suspended in the air.
No idea :(. Seems to be some sort of jump-canceling though.
4. Is it me, or can one Instant-rev faster when they're not swinging at an enemy (or I should say, "through" an enemy)
I don't know about faster... probably a bit easier though!
5. How do you take care of the lighting-beast enemies? You cannot attack them with your sword -- how else can you attack them (guns are weak against them)
You mean the Blitz? Charging your Blue Rose (three times) is your best friend in this game! By the time the Blitz' stops teleporting back and forth, you'll have a lvl 3 charged shot ready :).

slade

If this is what I think it is and not some advanced move then it depends on the situation. The two most obvious situations where you'll need this move on higher difficulties is the 1st fight with Sanctus when he goes into the statue and sends his fist crashing down and in the last fight when he uses Sparda to charge at you. If you time the Buster right, then you'll be able to do major damage to him.

You mean where he holds the enemy after the Buster? You just need to hold the Buster button. O on the PS3 version.

If you get the timing down, you can do it at any time. For me, it's easier when I'm up against enemies.

Yeah, you need to use guns to strip away their lightning shield. If you buy charged shot level three for Nero, you should be able to strip away their shield fairly quick. After that, just Devil Trigger and buster them while building up another charged shot.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
slade said:

If this is what I think it is and not some advanced move then it depends on the situation. The two most obvious situations where you'll need this move on higher difficulties is the 1st fight with Sanctus when he goes into the statue and sends his fist crashing down and in the last fight when he uses Sparda to charge at you. If you time the Buster right, then you'll be able to do major damage to him.

You mean where he holds the enemy after the Buster? You just need to hold the Buster button. O on the PS3 version.

If you get the timing down, you can do it at any time. For me, it's easier when I'm up against enemies.

Yeah, you need to use guns to strip away their lightning shield. If you buy charged shot level three for Nero, you should be able to strip away their shield fairly quick. After that, just Devil Trigger and buster them while building up another charged shot.

Seiken said:
You can only buster counter some stuff.
Credos
spear, for instance.

No idea :(. Seems to be some sort of jump-canceling though.

I don't know about faster... probably a bit easier though!

You mean the Blitz? Charging your Blue Rose (three times) is your best friend in this game! By the time the Blitz' stops teleporting back and forth, you'll have a lvl 3 charged shot ready :).

Thanks guys. The only problem I'm having now is trying to instant-rev as quickly as I do when I'm not attacking enemies. I can do it 100% of the time when attacking enemies (or almost 100%) but it's always a tad slower.

If I could describe it with nonsensical sounds...

Without enemy:

swooshSWOOSHSWOOSHSWOOSH (really, instant-revving is so second nature to me that the speed at which I can perform the maneuver is frightening...when I'm not dealing with enemies).

With enemy:

swoosh, swoosh, swoosh, swoosh

Hehe, the above seems like a child's reaction to the whole system. :D

Dahbomb

1. How do you "cancel" moves?
2. How and when do you "buster counter" (I used it for the last boss but can you use it in general combat?)
1) Cancelling is so simple that you don't even realize that you are doing it. Check out my post on the first page (scroll down to my 2nd post where I have tip, tricks and advice). There is a detail account of cancelling in DMC.

2) Buster counter is just for interrupting moves against certain enemies. Against bosses it is very rare and the only other example I can think of is against Credo and Dante. Against Credo, when he tosses his lance you can sword parry it (slash at it as soon as it is about to hit you) and then at the final blow you can Buster it to grab it and toss it back at Credo which is effectively a counter. Against Dante you shoot at him at close range and then quickly use Buster to counter him, which is actually a pretty cheesy tactic personally speaking. After that it initiates a sequence of Nero and Dante slashing each other as you should already now.

3) It's Aegis Shield ability that you get from beating Credo. You simply perform Buster and hold down O.

4) Well there is like a 2 frame delay when you connect with an enemy so yea...

5) Nero or Dante? With Nero you need to save up your DT and abuse L3 shots (that's Demon Charged shots charged to the 3rd level where your arm glows red). You can also charge your Summoned Swords during your Devil Trigger which results in a lot of swords tosses at the demon. There is also this X-slash move you can do with the DT that has a lot of wind up but if it connects you can take off its shield. When its shield is removed, it's easy pickings from there.

Dahbomb

Lightning said:
Would the Blitz be the hardest non boss enemy ever in a DMC game? I think so. Fuck man. I don't recall any standard enemy giving me such trouble in trying to avoid them.

And any way of combating the lizards when they get infected with that plant and start insanely flying all over the screen?
Blitz I would rank somewhere around the Shadow/Hell Vanguard range but Shadows were pretty easy one on one when you knew their weaknesses... it's when you had to fight like 3 Shadows in a small room on DMD when shit hit the fan. I would believe that fighting 3 Blitz at once in a small room would probably be harder than 3 Shadows.

Thing about HVG was that all they had was a stong stamina and fairly difficult to avoid teleport moves. In a group of 3 they are devastating, when all of them are DT'd they are impossible to beat no matter how good you are (because every microsecond they are teleporting and slashing you.

Against the Chimera the Pandorra is a great option, especially the Omen move. Massive rapage. With Nero... lulz good luck whore out L3 shots I guess. Using Dante in Bloody Palace makes me realize the level of strategic set up used between weapons and enemies in DMC4, a far superior one than what was in DMC3. Every Pandorra Box formation has a certain usage against certain enemy types with the same going for Styles and weapons. Trickster against Berial is GODLY especially with that enemy hike ability (running up Berial's torso!).

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Dahbomb said:
1) Cancelling is so simple that you don't even realize that you are doing it. Check out my post on the first page (scroll down to my 2nd post where I have tip, tricks and advice). There is a detail account of cancelling in DMC.

2) Buster counter is just for interrupting moves against certain enemies. Against bosses it is very rare and the only other example I can think of is against Credo and Dante. Against Credo, when he tosses his lance you can sword parry it (slash at it as soon as it is about to hit you) and then at the final blow you can Buster it to grab it and toss it back at Credo which is effectively a counter. Against Dante you shoot at him at close range and then quickly use Buster to counter him, which is actually a pretty cheesy tactic personally speaking. After that it initiates a sequence of Nero and Dante slashing each other as you should already now.

3) It's Aegis Shield ability that you get from beating Credo. You simply perform Buster and hold down O.

4) Well there is like a 2 frame delay when you connect with an enemy so yea...

5) Nero or Dante? With Nero you need to save up your DT and abuse L3 shots (that's Demon Charged shots charged to the 3rd level where your arm glows red). You can also charge your Summoned Swords during your Devil Trigger which results in a lot of swords tosses at the demon. There is also this X-slash move you can do with the DT that has a lot of wind up but if it connects you can take off its shield. When its shield is removed, it's easy pickings from there.

Thanks, this is probably the most thorough response. I remember you from the IGN forums back in the day, dahbomb.

Do you, assumably a high-level DMC player, feel there is somewhat a slower rhythm when instant-revving with an enemy? I ask because I'm trying to determine the reason for my constant faltering when it comes to doing IRs on enemies as opposed to just swinging the sword through the air (which results in faster swings and quicker IRs).

doicare

Dahbomb said:

I always thought i was doing a level 3 charged shot with nero when i held down the fire button and the gun glowed blue. I've seen some videos where the gun glows red and the shot is more powerful, how do you do that move?

doicare said:
I always thought i was doing a level 3 charged shot with nero when i held down the fire button and the gun glowed blue. I've seen some videos where the gun glows red and the shot is more powerful, how do you do that move?
Just hold the button down longer, it'll go from blue -> purple -> red. Level 3 will also give an extra explotion after a while.

Dahbomb

dirtmonkey37 said:
Thanks, this is probably the most thorough response. I remember you from the IGN forums back in the day, dahbomb.

Do you, assumably a high-level DMC player, feel there is somewhat a slower rhythm when instant-revving with an enemy? I ask because I'm trying to determine the reason for my constant faltering when it comes to doing IRs on enemies as opposed to just swinging the sword through the air (which results in faster swings and quicker IRs).
You know when you strike an enemy and that golden streak comes out? That is the hit box of the enemy. It slows down your strike (obviously since striking through thin air is quicker than striking through enemy body) and it affects your timing. But for me I find it easier to rev with enemies because it is a larger window after you strike the enemy. You just have to get used to it.

Also I am not a high level DMC4 player yet, I am just a high DMC player in general. EX mechanics are new to me as well, I am trying to learn them myself before making definitive judgments on it.

Rimshot said:
I would say both are action/adventures. Uncharted just kept me more captivated into the world / story. As I don't feel the same amount of joy and immersion in the dmc title as the past ones. (I do not count the second game into the series, that was just something horrible i dreamt up while having a nightmare!)

A lot of people who've never played DMC before seem to enjoy DMC4.

I think the intitial impact has dropped.

But there is one thing Uncharted can't keep up with and that's playing it on harder difficulties, mastering it, going for the ranks, making the off the wall combos and becoming more effecient, that mindset in gameplay for DMC4 is incredible.

Some games make stronger replay values and over lasting value a better impression than the first initital run-through.

DMC4 is a toy son, not a one-time experience or roller coaster.

doicare

Danne-Danger said:
Just hold the button down longer, it'll go from blue -> purple -> red. Level 3 will also give an extra explotion after a while.

Hahaha, i'm currently up to dante must die mode and i've got s ranks on all the other difficulties whilst generally being ranked in the top 100 yet i didn't know about this basic move :lol.

doicare said:
Hahaha, i'm currently up to dante must die mode and i've got s ranks on all the other difficulties whilst generally being ranked in the top 100 yet i didn't know about this basic move :lol.
Haha, but that's a good thing right? Smooth sailing from now on. ^^

Anyway I've already showered this game with praise but I've come to realize a fatal flaw (while replaying), mission 18
(the Giant)
, that piece of shit is just broken, slow and fucking boring. Doesn't fit with the rest of the game at all.

Yoshichan

Lince said:
I miss some kind of boss battle practice mode ala Metal Gear with some customizations
Oh that would be absolutely awesome. DLC please Capcom!

Danne-Danger said:
Anyway I've already showered this game with praise but I've come to realize a fatal flaw (while replaying), mission 18
(the Giant)
, that piece of shit is just broken, slow and fucking boring. Doesn't fit with the rest of the game at all.
Yep. It was like a bad cop of GoW. You don't need to imitate, fellas.

Narag

shintoki said:
is there any way to upload your scores to the leader board? like Im missing a ton of them:lol

AFAIK you have to do it when you complete the level, you can't upload them at a later date.

Danne-Danger said:
(the Giant)

It should've been one of the shorter levels on a replay. On DH, its like an 8 minute level once you learn the layout of the cannons or
if you just attack the hands directly to knock it down without the cannons.

Darkpen

Banned
maskrider said:
I have never thought that she is so easy to control.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm2387853

edit: I posted the way to register and watch in some pages before (may be 13x-14x).

BTW, devil2000's DMD Mission 9 no damage SSS run

http://www.mediafire.com/?8z1xn2sm92x
woah, wtf, you can get echidna to just stop attacking?! Damn that's so cheap, but makes the whole fight so less epic :( But awesome nonetheless

DantesWrath said:
Was this posted?

Brea's "mini" combo vid

http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=19Zh8in7doM

Some of the stuff she pulls off are sick.
Wait... is that "brea" brea? The brea? The Japanese dude who, for a while, was in the top 10 for almost everything in the world leaderboards for the PS3 version of DMC4?

Mojovonio

Banned
So yeah.

I beat it on human, got halfway through Devil Hunter and brought it back.

I don't know, the game just doesn't appeal to me as it used to. It all just feels really tedious after a while.

Making you back track didn't bother me when I heard it and when I first had to do it. But playing it the second time was torture.

I may pick it up when its discounted, but right now, there's way too many games to play.

Darkpen

Banned
Brea is a girl's name, yes, but do we even have confirmation on that at all?

Hint: Brea is Japanese. Do you really want to take that name-gender relation at face value?

Oneself

Mojovonio said:
So yeah.

I beat it on human, got halfway through Devil Hunter and brought it back.

I don't know, the game just doesn't appeal to me as it used to. It all just feels really tedious after a while.

Making you back track didn't bother me when I heard it and when I first had to do it. But playing it the second time was torture.

I may pick it up when its discounted, but right now, there's way too many games to play.

I feel pretty much the same... :( maybe I should trade it too....

Oneself said:
I feel pretty much the same... :( maybe I should trade it too....
I thought I might feel this way about starting SoS, but I did the first 4 levels last night and I didn't feel that for one second, I'm now intrigued to see how the enemy configurations are different on all the levels. Also, its a different experience playing through when your already mostly upgraded.

Aske

slidewinder said:
Yep. It was like a bad cop of GoW. You don't need to imitate, fellas.

I don't think it was. A lot of people cite GoW as the inspiration for the statue battles, but it always struck me as a throwback to the Mundus fight in DMC1.

It seems like after every new DMC release, I find something to miss about the original. After two runs of DMC 4 (Devil Hunter and SoS), I'm slowly concluding that for me, DMC1 still remains the most solid game of the franchise. The combat of DMC4 is sublime, but the repetition makes the level design feel shockingly slapdash after a little while. DMC1 was ever changing, and the pace was perfect. Backtracking was always sufficiently varied, and fighting the same bosses three times felt like fresh encounters rather than a series of repeats. I can't help but feel like the DMC4 team nailed the combat, the enemies and the artwork; and then totally dropped the ball when incorporating these elements into the overall flow of the game.

DMC4 is still the best of the three sequels by a huge margin and like DMC3 it's a legendary game in its own right, but I'm still waiting for a new DMC that totally eclipses the original.

vpance

Whats the best way to hit the knights consistently when they charge at you? Will any attack do if timed right? For Dante and Nero.

RyuHayate

black_13 said:
I'd say the soundtrack is the worst in the series. I mean I liked more tracks in DMC2 than this. DMC3 is the best overall.

DMC1 had the best battle music. I get chills every time I listen to Lock n' Load.

I loved the tracks for the Vergil fights in DMC3, too.

Yoshichan

black_13 said:
I'd say the soundtrack is the worst in the series. I mean I liked more tracks in DMC2 than this. DMC3 is the best overall.
No, no, no. This is wrong, sorry.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
The only things keeping this game from DMC1 levels of perfection is the music which is nearly as dreadful as the stuff in DMC3, an abundance of platforming and some screw ups in level design. I think it's easily the 2nd best game in the series.

Going forward with the series I just hope they keep both Nero and Dante as the main characters. The variety you get between the two is really amazing.

I beat the game on whatever the hardest level you could do when you start was (I guess normal) and other than the 19th level, it was awesome. Ending was pretty badass and I dont know what other people thing about Nero, but I like him and hope he ends up in future DMC games.

Danielsan

Linkzg said:
I beat the game on whatever the hardest level you could do when you start was (I guess normal) and other than the 19th level, it was awesome. Ending was pretty badass and I dont know what other people thing about Nero, but I like him and hope he ends up in future DMC games.
I definitely like him but next time I would like more variety in his moves and weapons. I also want them to properly explain who and what he really is.

Other stuff that is much needed:
-Better music, sorry shootie but your music is garbage
-Needs to be 50/50 Nero/Dante and Dante shouldn't feel like an afterthought.
-Vergil needs to return.
-The game needs a real badguy, not some senile pope figure with a ridiculous laugh.
-No goddamn backtracking
-More devilarms than all games combined, as you promised before Capcom.
-No more than two weapons on the fly switching.
-Hire some proper writers and give the game a proper story (like DMC3) please.
-More bosses, more human size bosses (Credo is my favorite DMC4 boss for a reason).
-1vs1 online battles, Nero vs Dante, Dante vs Vergil etc.. (should work out just like the bossbattles)
-Unlockable costumes
-online Co-op bloody palace
-SOS difficulty should replace Devil Hunter or should atleast be available from the start.
-Beating the game at a higher difficulty should also unlock the crap you get for the lower difficulty stuff. It's not fun playing the game on human after you've already beaten it on Devil Hunter Capcom.

The problem with DMC4's music is it attempts to imitate the other DMC games' music without any context. DMC3's thematic was a crazy party time kid Dante grows up, thus we have hard rock music with touch a soft seemingly meaningful parts interjected. DMC1 had its music set the tone with organ music, which is often associated religiously, acting as a reminder of the gothic setting and whole Angel/Devil concept. DMC4 should have tried to establish its own identity, musically, rather than just imitating its brethren, which forces comparisons out of context and giving the other games an inherent edge.

Top Bottom