• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Ezenzer said:
Few thoughts:

I could really do with a customizable training mode. Someplace to screw around, try out new stuff, and practice without having to worry about time limits or dying.

I've been switching up my controls a bit trying to find something for Nero that works well. I am having a really hard time multitasking with charging BR, timing my exceeds, and holding lock. Doing all three at once usually leaves my fingers in awkward positions. Sucks, it seems like I'm fighting more with managing the controls than with the game's difficulty itself.

I wish there were more boss battles with humanoid opponents ala Credo. Fighting him was pretty intense for me, and enjoyable. Sadly, too many games like this (NG comes to mind) focus on lolhueg bosses, but beating them usually ends up feeling very formulaic.

Completed SoS last night. Hehe, I can see now I'm going to be playing this game for a very long time. Definitely one of my favorite titles this gen so far.

Agreed.

Here's what helps me with the timing aspect of the combos: you odn't need to hold R1(or RB) all the time. I never press the shoulder button when I'm instant-revving (performing EXCEEDS) but when I need to perform high-roller, or something of the like, I tap it for a second and then resume slashing away without touching it.

C- Warrior said:
Other than the occasional odd ball puzzle (dice game, looking at you) be more specific when you say poorly designed? I thought the various rooms and levels were gorgeous. The game had great continuity from each area to area. Be more specific?

The castle was designed and made perfect sense. No room or anything led to some other random room. There was not any room repetition (like the 3D castlevania games) each room, also contained a unique color tone. For example, the main hall had a bluish tint to it, while the toture chamber in the same castle a nice red hue, and then the outside was a nice dark blue snow.

The pacing was well thought out in a sense that you were being exposed to new enemies, bosses, and abilities throughout Nero's game in addition to new environments as well as story arcs. There are 9 unique boss fights which easily eclipse any other action game released this gen. Not too mention many of which being extremely well designed.

Ultimately, be more specific. I understand the odd-setting puzzle, but what about the level structure was odd? The connection between areas and rooms made sense, the art and tech., behind the visuals of each level was impressive...etc

I think I sensed sarcasm from him. I don't think he was actually agreeing with me.

But I can give you the definition of what I mean.

I like randomly selecting missions in games that allow me to do so and just going through it having a ball. I feel that I have to be choosy in DMC4. Spinning blade platforming mission with Dante? No thanks. Dice game? Neh.

All in all, I guess I feel the good moments are layered in with boring (my opinion) sections that I'd prefer to do without. I loved the short-lived running from Echidna while she was breaking through the platforms. There should have been more WOW moments like that.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Narag said:
While its not an ideal training mode, the torture chamber offers a lot of leeway for messing around with moves given you can respawn the enemies over and over.

What's the "torture chamber"?

In mission 3, where you need to grapple your way across the hall with the spiked ceiling... just drop down into the water (blood?) filled room you came in from.

Darkpen

Banned
The problem with playing DMC4 on a first-time run, on anything other than human difficulty, is that it's pure gaming masochism. The DMC series does not represent the greatest pacing that gaming has to offer, nor the most intuitive controls and game design (and enemy AI). I actually felt some of the things you're describing much more during my first time ever playing the first DMC game, which was my first PS2 game.

Ninja Gaiden, on the other hand, as far as combat was concerned, was far more intuitive. I mean, sure, the game serves your ass on a plater about 20 times during the first/second mission alone, but it also teaches you to not fall into habits and to mix things up, that guarding isn't always a good thing because your enemies can grapple you, and that you need to be swift like a true ninja. By the time you get to the end of Ninja Gaiden, you feel like a bad ass motherfucker.

By the time you get to the end of DMC4, you feel like the game hasn't told you all of its secrets, and that's where the game fails.
(How the fuck are you supposed to figure out that you can buster the other hand?! You can go through the entire game without ever bustering incoming projectiles, and the final boss forces you to do it to finish the damn game! If I didn't have the internet, I would've probably been stuck there for the longest time until someone told me.)

Narag

Darkpen said:
By the time you get to the end of DMC4, you feel like the game hasn't told you all of its secrets, and that's where the game fails.
(How the fuck are you supposed to figure out that you can buster the other hand?! You can go through the entire game without ever bustering incoming projectiles, and the final boss forces you to do it to finish the damn game! If I didn't have the internet, I would've probably been stuck there for the longest time until someone told me.)

What's worse is that counts against No Damage so if you screw it up after your best performance ever, its all for naught!

Narag said:
While its not an ideal training mode, the torture chamber offers a lot of leeway for messing around with moves given you can respawn the enemies over and over.

Wow, thanks. I hadn't considered this at all.

dirtmonkey37 said:
Agreed.

Here's what helps me with the timing aspect of the combos: you odn't need to hold R1(or RB) all the time. I never press the shoulder button when I'm instant-revving (performing EXCEEDS) but when I need to perform high-roller, or something of the like, I tap it for a second and then resume slashing away without touching it.

I've altered my controls so much I'm not sure what RB originally was. But I think I know what you're referring to. Once I find a layout that feels comfortable and get use to it, I shouldn't have a problem. But at the moment I think I prefer Dante simply because I don't have to worry about pulling off exceeds.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Darkpen said:

nero talks about his hand at the end of the preceding cutscene, and then there's a long, suggestive zoom on his hand before the fight starts. i think that last fight was a lame and minigamey way to end things, but it gives you enough hints.

Darkpen

Banned
Narag said:
What's worse is that counts against No Damage so if you screw it up after your best performance ever, its all for naught!
actually, I've managed to pull it off first try during one of my several "oh, I'll play mission 20 just for fun since Sanctus has retarded AI," and then when it got to that part, I was like "Damn! I actually pulled it off first try :O"

But then, of course, I failed saving Kyrie, and just restarted that mission because I got pissed :(

Narag

Darkpen said:
actually, I've managed to pull it off first try during one of my several "oh, I'll play mission 20 just for fun since Sanctus has retarded AI," and then when it got to that part, I was like "Damn! I actually pulled it off first try :O"

But then, of course, I failed saving Kyrie, and just restarted that mission because I got pissed :(

Does that even count towards final score?

I hate this subject. Just fucked it up haha

Darkpen

Banned
drohne said:
nero talks about his hand at the end of the preceding cutscene, and then there's a long, suggestive zoom on his hand before the fight starts. i think that last fight was a lame and minigamey way to end things, but it gives you enough hints.
yeah, know what I did? freaking snatch. Or more specifically, I just dodged that hand, over and over and over again, while bustering the one that slams down.

Mojovonio

Banned
So to expand more.

I think I just really fucking hated playing as Nero.

I played all 3 DMC games, and especially 3.

I remember beating 3 then playing GoW and think how hollow it felt because it lacked the style DMC had.

I feel the same way playing DMC4 now. It just feels so dated, and I'm over it.

It this subtle numbness of repetition throughout the whole game. Sure, you have combos that work on some enemies better than others.

But, you play the same 5 levels 2x. The same bosses 2x. You hear THE SAME FUCKING COMABT MUSIC all the time.

I just didn't feel like I wanted to gain anything more after beating the game the first time. And I was very VERY surprised by that, having beaten DMC3 3 times in a row in 1 week.

Oh well. Here's hoping God of War 3 delivers.

Narag

#1 Total on Human had 48 million points on the XBL leaderboards as he somehow managed 47 million points on M11. What a waste.
And I finished 7k points behind #1 at #6 on the M20 board while finishing S ranks on human :(

Pizawle

Neo Member
I completed it a few nights ago. As my first experience with the series, I was definitely satisfied. It provided some great moments and fun gameplay. Still, I think it's a notch below it's main competitors, God of War and Ninja Gaiden.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
I think I sensed sarcasm from him. I don't think he was actually agreeing with me.

But I can give you the definition of what I mean.

I like randomly selecting missions in games that allow me to do so and just going through it having a ball. I feel that I have to be choosy in DMC4. Spinning blade platforming mission with Dante? No thanks. Dice game? Neh.

All in all, I guess I feel the good moments are layered in with boring (my opinion) sections that I'd prefer to do without. I loved the short-lived running from Echidna while she was breaking through the platforms. There should have been more WOW moments like that.

Well, there are going to be missions that are better than others. That's true for all games.

Pizawle said:
I completed it a few nights ago. As my first experience with the series, I was definitely satisfied. It provided some great moments and fun gameplay. Still, I think it's a notch below it's main competitors, God of War and Ninja Gaiden.

As people have continuously urged in this thread many times, DMC shines on it's harder settings. Play the game on son of sparda, and everything fits together. They can't have son of sparda as default since that's too hard for the casual gamers, but with a beefed up character, going through it again and maxing everything out with moves not being a stylistic choice but now a combat necessity, I'd like you to come back and say "it's a notch below god of war" -- fuck that.

Darkpen

Banned
C- Warrior said:
As people have continuously urged in this thread many times, DMC shines on it's harder settings. Play the game on son of sparda, and everything fits together. They can't have son of sparda as default since that's too hard for the casual gamers, but with a beefed up character, going through it again and maxing everything out with moves not being a stylistic choice but now a combat necessity, I'd like you to come back and say "it's a notch below god of war" -- fuck that.
lol, its a junior, go figure. I was actually going to make a post quoting him, but I just really don't feel like it. I mean, how messed up do you have to be to think GoW is better than DMC? I mean, really. Yeah, its different kind of game, but let me ask you, outside of dodging, and, say, the platforming sections, what skill is there? Its a fun game, but it certainly isn't visceral.

The problem with DMC is that it shines only to the hardcore who'll play missions over and over again to get those S ranked mission scores. Its fun comes through having enemies with stupid AI, but your character having a wide array of motions. In terms of combat, its really what would happen if a 2D capcom fighter was turned into a single-player 3D action game (while, say, Ninja Gaiden is a 3D action game that has the same depth as 3D fighter, but isn't). If I were to wedge GoW into this analogy, its really just a 3D action game, there's nothing to really compare it to. The combat isn't terribly deep, and you press buttons to look cool.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Pizawle said:

I'm sorry, but no. Ninja Gaiden is not better than DMC. In fact, I hate Ninja Gaiden :p After playing Sigma... blarg, I can't see how any of it is good. DMC is superior in every category.

Kagari said:
I'm sorry, but no. Ninja Gaiden is not better than DMC. In fact, I hate Ninja Gaiden :p After playing Sigma... blarg, I can't see how any of it is good. DMC is superior in every category.

Jesus Christ, dude.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
No sarcasm.

C- Warrior said:
Other than the occasional odd ball puzzle (dice game, looking at you) be more specific when you say poorly designed? I thought the various rooms and levels were gorgeous. The game had great continuity from each area to area. Be more specific?

The castle was designed and made perfect sense. No room or anything led to some other random room. There was not any room repetition (like the 3D castlevania games) each room, also contained a unique color tone. For example, the main hall had a bluish tint to it, while the toture chamber in the same castle a nice red hue, and then the outside was a nice dark blue snow.

The pacing was well thought out in a sense that you were being exposed to new enemies, bosses, and abilities throughout Nero's game in addition to new environments as well as story arcs. There are 9 unique boss fights which easily eclipse any other action game released this gen. Not too mention many of which being extremely well designed.

Ultimately, be more specific. I understand the odd-setting puzzle, but what about the level structure was odd? The connection between areas and rooms made sense, the art and tech., behind the visuals of each level was impressive...etc
I don't deny the architectural beauty of the levels, they're gorgeous. But it's the way they were designed, some of the levels, specifically the forest and inside the castle levels, are messy and all over the place. A door here, a door there, 3 doors on the second floor, a crack in the center, a ledge on the side... And they just drop you there expecting you to know exactly where to go. That confused the hell out of me on my first play through. And don't get me started on the forest level, that was even worse.

The pacing, especially the backtracking parts with Dante, didn't help it either. I can't remember how many times I said to myself "where the fuck do I go next?" only to realize after going through every passage in every level that there was a hidden warp passage that had appeared under the bridge. It's like basically: enter forest with 3 different ways to go through, fight (fun part), go through some more confusing places, get item thingy, go back, guess which way to take and pray you don't get lost, end mission. Such horrid pacing. That's what you get from booting Kamiya from the team Capcom.

The game does a poor job of structurally designing the levels to make the player say "ok now I know I need to go to this room or this way in order to proceed". I mean, it is a linear game after all. I never had those issues with DMC1 or the God of War games, almost all their levels were intelligently put together and made sense. The puzzles and platforming in those games were actually fun, and it was thoroughly satisfying to roam from room to room, unlike in DMC3/4, which felt more like hindrances obscuring your way from the good parts.

Of course, those problems are only present on your first play through, most if not all those annoyances disappear the 2nd or 3rd time you play the game and all become a non-issue for me. But it would've been that much more fun to replay the levels if those aspects were actually well made in the first place.

burgerdog

Still haven't done Human mode :lol Ah, well, I'll get around to it. DMC4 is full of so much win it's not even funny.

dmc4ln1.jpg

My roommate has the PS3 CE and he up to mission 10. I noticed that he didn’t buy any crucial upgrades (streak, split, blue and purple orbs) So I asked him "how the hell did you get that far with out purchasing critical upgrades?"

his response: "I figured I wait till the last boss to buy everything." :lol
I had to show him the critical stuff he needed and that he can return proud souls. He also had trouble with credo. (Of course your going to have trouble if you actually don’t upgrade your moves and health) I showed him just how fun it was to mess around with Credo with streak at least.

He beat DMC1 and hasn’t finished DMC3, but I swear its like he’s a total noob

btw does anyone know where I can get Beal, Credo, and Agnus boss BGM music. I dont understand why their not in the damn OST.

lupin23rd

What are the best ways to get rid of the Alto Angelos (gold angels), and the best way to beat that "boss" where you have to toss the blades back at the glass Agnus is standing behind? Dodging the lightning stuff seems to be a problem although maybe it's being knocked back to the ground every time I try to stand up.

Son of Sparda is kicking my ass :(

burgerdog

lupin23rd said:
What are the best ways to get rid of the Alto Angelos (gold angels), and the best way to beat that "boss" where you have to toss the blades back at the glass Agnus is standing behind? Dodging the lightning stuff seems to be a problem although maybe it's being knocked back to the ground every time I try to stand up.

Son of Sparda is kicking my ass :(

Stand in the center platform to avoid the electricity.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive

i thought you had to stay in the air to avoid the electricity :(

i was pulling some TOTALLY NEEDLESS 'jump, fire guns, use calibur, air hike, shoot some more' bullshit

well, that'll come in handy for dmd

Atrophis

drohne said:

i was pulling some TOTALLY NEEDLESS 'jump, fire guns, use calibur, air hike, shoot some more' bullshit

Same :lol

Danielsan

Man this morning I decided to give Bloody Palace a real go (while listening to the 1up yours). I came so close but alas it was not meant to be. One hour and fourty minutes lost. Floor 84 destroyed me by bringing 2 Blitzes at the same time. There were several other floors that had me on the brink of death, especially the floors that had those goddamn landsharks and infected flowers enemies. I also noticed on the later floors that enemies started DTing, not good. :lol

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
AllGamer said:
@burgerdog

How long did it take to beat the Hell and Hell Mode?
It took me 16 hours.

Dave1988

drohne said:

I'm ashamed to admit that I did too.

Kweh

Now I'm playing as Dante, I'm struggling to adapt to play well with him. Nero's devil arm sling grab thing was great for newbie's like me.

Llyranor

Question re: 360 achievements. Do those obtained for finishing missions apply for lower diffs as well? Eg. If I finish the game in Devil Hunter mode, do I get the achievements for finishing on Human? I strive for a good challenge in my games, so starting with the lowest diff sounds like it could be a chore for me.

Danielsan

Kweh said:
Now I'm playing as Dante, I'm struggling to adapt to play well with him. Nero's devil arm sling grab thing was great for newbie's like me.
Right now the devil arm is even the biggest thing that makes it hard to play as Dante. After having placed the gun to LB I find myself missing Blue Rose chargeshot lvl 3 the most.

Zzoram

Llyranor said:
Question re: 360 achievements. Do those obtained for finishing missions apply for lower diffs as well? Eg. If I finish the game in Devil Hunter mode, do I get the achievements for finishing on Human? I strive for a good challenge in my games, so starting with the lowest diff sounds like it could be a chore for me.

You have to beat Human to get those achievements even if you did Devil Hunter first. Human will be really easy once you've beaten Devil Hunter, so you could probably speed run through it, or if you want, take your time and try to find all the blue orb fragments and secret missions, since the levels will be easier to finish.

Llyranor

Zzoram said:
You have to beat Human to get those achievements even if you did Devil Hunter first. Human will be really easy once you've beaten Devil Hunter, so you could probably speed run through it, or if you want, take your time and try to find all the blue orb fragments and secret missions, since the levels will be easier to finish.
Urg. Thanks.

I'll still start with Devil Hunter. I don't want to spoil my first playthrough with a too easy difficulty (I'd rather it be overly difficult).

Halfway through SoS and tried BP. Got killed by Berial. I know I didn't lose to him on SoS. He did seem more aggressive with about the same life as SoS. BP will be quite a challenge.

Narag

prodystopian said:
Halfway through SoS and tried BP. Got killed by Berial. I know I didn't lose to him on SoS. He did seem more aggressive with about the same life as SoS. BP will be quite a challenge.

Bosses in BP have SoS vitality but DMD AI, or at least something far more aggressive than SoS AI.

Narag

Danielsan said:
Whoever thought secret mission 9 would be "fun" should get his head lobbed off. I just can't do it.
Staying airborne and away while knocking them back with the coyote seems the way to go. Its aggravating as hell!

Danielsan

Narag said:
Staying airborne and away while knocking them back with the coyote seems the way to go. Its aggravating as hell!
Yup but somehow I always manage to land on some random slashing bastard... I fucking hate these enemies...

Dave1988

Danielsan said:
Yup but somehow I always manage to land on some random slashing bastard... I fucking hate these enemies...

Try the mission with Pandora. Really, that weapon is a friggin' lifesaver.

Ash_69

This game is amazing. The boss battles are real boss battles that make you crap yourself when you first see them and actually take some beating. The last few bosses have actually been a bit of a test for me. I'm up to the old cunt that goes inside that poncy bubble shield.

Also lupin23rd, since I've just done the mission where you fight a load of those gold angel/knight things I have a tip on how to beat them.
Use streak to get close and start slashing. As soon as the Alto puts his shield up to block your attacks, simply jump over his head so your behind him and use your buster. The first buster will probably break the shield, the second will German suplex him then boot him in the face. When he's down, make sure u keep on slashing. After doing this twice, you'll pretty much of beaten him.

Top Bottom