• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
oh my god I finally S ranked/finished Bloody Palace my hand is killing me

Dante caught me in a combo near the end and I didn't have enough to devil trigger, I got so scared. :lol

Narag

prodystopian said:
How did GoW (a PSP game) get stickied on four pages and this thread can't get stickied?

If you read through this and the Turok thread, you'd see why.

Congrats, Papercuts!

Tom's Hardware just put up there review of the game.

http://www.tomsgames.com/us/2008/03/04/devil_may_cry4/

Reviewer played a bit of DMC1 but nothing since, so he considers himself a newcomer. I actually agree with most of what he says.

Tom's rating
8.5/10

Edit: In case you guys don't follow Yahtzee and Zero Punctuation, he did DMC4 this week:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/zeropunctuation/3001-Zero-Punctuation-Devil-May-Cry-4

Funny as usual. And he takes the same shots at the game as everyone else for the most part.

Hesemonni

Banned
ASDKLASDHweasdalkseqwkjeSDÖLKÖAk321!!

FUCK : !"W3ö1231

ldAKdjp

Fucking Dante.

He just single handidly destroyed my fun with this game. I feel about the same as with Murai few years back in Ninja Gaiden. There just something with not being able to block that just doesn't feel right.

I fucking hate this game.

And one button combo system is from roadkill skunk's maggot infested rectum.

...I'm off to bed.

Beat BP today it was a blast. Dante had me worried at the end but I had a full 30 min to mess with him. Narag barley beat your rank. #378

Add me to the sad "I can't beat Burial in Bloody Palace" crew. I've got there twice now once as Nero, once as Dante, and died both times. Had plenty of time left, just died. Son of Sparda is giving me some trouble as well. I guess I suck:lol

Ronin

Already sank 46 hours into this. Love it to death. Just got to Credo on DMD and holy shit, this is like the best fight ever.

ToyMachine228 said:
Add me to the sad "I can't beat Burial in Bloody Palace" crew. I've got there twice now once as Nero, once as Dante, and died both times. Had plenty of time left, just died. Son of Sparda is giving me some trouble as well. I guess I suck:lol

Just be patient and defensive when you get to him. It's kind of hard to change your tactics when you get to him after going balls to the wall on levels 1-19 but once I took a breath and just treated him like a regular story-mode boss fight I beat him on the first try.

He was straight ass-raping me before that though ;)

P.S. I did not appreciate the fucking Blitz per level after you beat Berial Capcom!

MechaX

Darkpen said:

Wow.. That makes Dante 2 look really bad. But that's more due to the Devil Bringer than anything else (I only used snatch during Dante's pretty obvious vulnerable frames, use a combo accordingly, and hope he didn't use the shotty to break up the Style meter).

Due to the lack of vids on the subject, I would love to see a Dante vs. Dante fight in BP. Mostly because without the Devil Bringer, the fight would be epic (and hopefully ridiculously hard) on Vergil 3 DMD proportions.

Hesemonni said:
ASDKLASDHweasdalkseqwkjeSDÖLKÖAk321!!

FUCK : !"W3ö1231

ldAKdjp

Fucking Dante.

He just single handidly destroyed my fun with this game. I feel about the same as with Murai few years back in Ninja Gaiden. There just something with not being able to block that just doesn't feel right.

I fucking hate this game.

And one button combo system is from roadkill skunk's maggot infested rectum.

...I'm off to bed.

Then stop trying to block dumbass, evade, teleport, dash, roll, royal block -- you have more than enough defensive options.

And DMC4's one button system allows the game to avoid "dial me a combos" that falter so many other action games. It's intuitive, simple, and moves for multiple weapons are easy to master since you don't have to memorize fuckin XYXYXYXYYYXYXYXYXYXYYYY button sequences.

def sim

I'm still in my first playthrough on Devil Hunter and I'm on mission 15.

Beating all the bosses again with Dante is hells of easy. I guess I have a bit more playthroughs before I get DMD mode.

At the pace I'm going, Ninja Gaiden 2 will be out. Still, I'm having a whole lot of fun with the game.

Well, I just finished Devil Hunter tonight. I thought it was a fantastic game, and the different fighting styles of both Nero and Dante really added to the experience. I thought that it would be tough to go back to Dante without the Devil Bringer, but it turns out that I'm just plain better with him, and switching between Swordmaster and Trickster made my day.

One thing that wasn't really apparent for me was the difficulty, so it's time to tackle SoS. I got through missions 1 and 2 with an overall A ranking, but I'm expecting much trouble coming my way very soon. We'll see if I even get to DMD, let alone beat it.

Sidzed2

Ronin said:
Already sank 46 hours into this. Love it to death. Just got to Credo on DMD and holy shit, this is like the best fight ever.

Credo is without doubt the highlight of the game.

The character design is amazing, the music is cool, the visuals/setting are beautiful, and the fight itself is tense and tactical but not infuriating and one-sided like Dante.

It's ironic that this is the ONE boss that doesn't get repeated - it's the best one!

I also love how the music sounds like Nelo Angelo's battle theme and the floating swords he sends out are almost EXACTLY like Nelo Angelo 3's!

*hugs Credo*

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
I really really miss dante. On mission 10 or so and I feel so limited with nero, because I haven't been scoring too well at the end of missions (I like to take my time and explore things to find secret missions/hidden red orbs) so my move set isn't that big. I get SSS combos now and then and have no problem beating missions but i just feel sucky compared to how i felt in dmc3 :(

by the time i get dante i'll probably have lost my dante skills i had in dmc3 and feel sucky with him.

Game is good so far though.

C- Warrior said:
And DMC4's one button system allows the game to avoid "dial me a combos" that falter so many other action games. It's intuitive, simple, and moves for multiple weapons are easy to master since you don't have to memorize fuckin XYXYXYXYYYXYXYXYXYXYYYY button sequences.

Though I don't agree with the guy you were trying to refute this I find to be bullshit. Yes you can custom combo, but there's a most efficient way to get the job done (as with fighters) and that's the combo you should always be using in that situation. Also in decent "dial a combo" games you won't need to memorize much because the button input itself will tell you what you're going to get, beyond that I'd say it's easier to remember a 20 move long list than get down instant rev timings for the Red Queen ;) I'd say getting jump canceling or royal blocking down perfectly will take the same amount, if not more effort.

Sidzed2 said:
Credo is without doubt the highlight of the game.

Gotta love how he's the only one you fight once...

def sim

I don't know, I liked 3 a whole lot.

The backtracking in DMC4 tarnishes it a bit. I'd say 3->4->1---->2 would be pretty accurate to me.

Vaxadrin

Banned
BeeDog said:
Quoting myself for some help here. Haven't played the game at all since that post (since I should be busy studying for two exams ugh), so really would like some help before I get back to it.

Last boss strategy:

I'm assuming you're talking about fighting Sanctus in the wierd looking room, not the giant statue as dante. It took me a few tries, but here's essentially what I did.

Keep locking on & grabbing him, this will pull you towards him. Then, just mash Y or Triangle in mid-air to break his shield. He will fall on the ground. Then, DT and hit him with the biggest combo you can, ending in a buster. The buster will end his vulnerability and send him into a series of attacks again. When you get his health low, he will berserk and be a bitch to hit. All you can really do is keep dodging his attacks, and hopefully get in a few quick hits on him. Hope this helps.

Sidzed2

brandonh83 said:
So after a month am I still the only one that thinks this is by far the best installment?

I think that as a total package it is the best DMC game.

The original holds a very big place in my heart, but you cannot deny the superiority of the combat system in DMC4.

I think in terms of visual beauty, control, and accessibility this is by far the best.

For me, DMC1 was simplistic but had great enemy designs, art direction and atmosphere.

DMC2 was just Pffff.

DMC3 was too hard for its own good and basically hated the more casual player. Plus it was a tad ugly in terms of art design.

DMC4 is lacking in level design and diversity of content, and its atmosphere isn't the gothic marvel that DMC1's was, but the tightness of the controls, the depth, and the accessibility make it the best allrounder.

Ferrio

Banned
Vaxadrin said:
Last boss strategy:

When you get his health low, he will berserk and be a bitch to hit. All you can really do is keep dodging his attacks, and hopefully get in a few quick hits on him. Hope this helps.

Wrong
You can just buster him right as he's about to hit you, and you'll own his ass

def sim

aw

I wanted to fight
Credo as Dante.
I know he's
dead
and all, but they could pull off some tacky shit like
zombie/reborn/whatevs Credo
and it'll fit in the story just fine.

I just got to
Dante's
level too (does that really need a spoiler tag?). I REALLY miss the Devil Bringer :( That really added a lot to the combat for me.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
rance said:
aw

I wanted to fight
Credo as Dante.
I know he's
dead
Wow, like an ass i highlighted this.

no one to blame but myself.

raYne

ThirstyFly said:
I just got to
Dante's
level too (does that really need a spoiler tag?). I REALLY miss the Devil Bringer :( That really added a lot to the combat for me.
3/4ths of Dante's stuff put together aren't anywhere near as usefull as Nero's Devil Bringer and Buster. I really hated playing as him (Dante) to be honest, but I got over it.

Key is to stick to Swordmaster and Rebellion and mix the guns based on each fight. The, when you're comfortable enough, you can start adding the rest of the arsenal to the mix.

raYne said:
3/4ths of Dante's stuff put together aren't anywhere near as usefull as Nero's Devil Bringer and Buster. I really hated playing as him (Dante) to be honest, but I got over it.

Key is to stick to Swordmaster and Rebellion and mix the guns based on each fight. The, when you're comfortable enough, you can start adding the rest of the arsenal to the mix.

K, thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind. I was thinking of using Trickster as my main style so I could use the dash to chase after guys I knock away and kind of make up for the Snatch that way.

Papercuts

Well, after beating Bloody Palace there's nothing left but S ranking.

DMC4005.jpg

I still have a lot to go, but I should finish Human tomorrow. I'm actually surprised that S ranking some of these is kinda hard, I come up short on style because I just rev too much and everything dies before I can do much, but it's like a reflex for me now. :lol

raYne said:

Yeah, sticking to swordmaster until you feel comfortable fighting without snatch and buster seems to be the best thing, then after that you can start doing some crazy stuff.

Drewsy

Banned
C- Warrior said:

I actually find it a lot easier to remember button combinations (with the occasional timed button press thrown in) a la Ninja Gaiden as opposed to having to be constantly conscious of timing in DMC4. Having to think about combo timing on top of constant instant rev timing is wrecking me. Throw in jump canceling and I fall apart.

There's nothing like it when you do manage to keep it together mid combo, though. :D

BeeDog

Vaxadrin said:
Last boss strategy:

I'm assuming you're talking about fighting Sanctus in the wierd looking room, not the giant statue as dante. It took me a few tries, but here's essentially what I did.

Keep locking on & grabbing him, this will pull you towards him. Then, just mash Y or Triangle in mid-air to break his shield. He will fall on the ground. Then, DT and hit him with the biggest combo you can, ending in a buster. The buster will end his vulnerability and send him into a series of attacks again. When you get his health low, he will berserk and be a bitch to hit. All you can really do is keep dodging his attacks, and hopefully get in a few quick hits on him. Hope this helps.

Thanks! Also thanks to Ferrio for the small addition.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
dante 2 is an absolute bastard on dmd. i've finally got a reliable way to beat him with no items, but that level's annoying too, and i've yet to put it together for an s-rank :/

Narcosis

Papercuts said:
Well, after beating Bloody Palace there's nothing left but S ranking.

I still have a lot to go, but I should finish Human tomorrow. I'm actually surprised that S ranking some of these is kinda hard, I come up short on style because I just rev too much

I actually think it's harder to S rank missions in Human than it is in Devil Hunter. I've been going for S ranks and find in Human the No item and No Damage boosts are what typically what redeems my attempts when I only A rank the Style and Orb collecting categories.

atomico

Narcosis said:
I actually think it's harder to S rank missions in Human than it is in Devil Hunter. I've been going for S ranks and find in Human the No item and No Damage boosts are what typically what redeems my attempts when I only A rank the Style and Orb collecting categories.

agree. only played half the Human missions, but for most fights, I'd *barely* get an A (or B 3/4 :p). Enemies just died too fast

Papercuts

drohne said:
dante 2 is an absolute bastard on dmd. i've finally got a reliable way to beat him with no items, but that level's annoying too, and i've yet to put it together for an s-rank :/

I usually just jump above him then airhike, if he starts a combo I snatch then do a roulette into another snatch and buster. Sometimes I can nail him with charge shot 3, DT, run right up and buster him then run over and buster again right when he recovers. Once you get the strategy it's a lot easier than it sounds. If it just wasn't for his shotgun ruining crucial moments for me... :lol

I originally got a D on mission 10 DMD until I started replaying it on SoS, DH, and H for S ranks and it was then I actually formed a strategy and applied it to DMD, so I would try out a few different strategies and see what works best.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
just s-ranked it -- your strategy helped, thanks. and yeah, i guess he's got patterns like any other boss, though they aren't obvious at first

Tenks

Just popping in here to say I beat the game on normal mode. It is by far the most 'enjoyable' DMC experience so far, though I will say I think I liked DMC3's insane difficulty a bit more. I'm playing thru again on Son of Sparda mode and already it seems like it'll ramp up to DMC3 level in terms of difficulty. I can't wait! I loved this game; I'm recommending it to everyone I know!:D

Darkpen

Banned
rance said:
aw

I wanted to fight
Credo as Dante.
I know he's
dead
There's always bloody palace D:

Dahbomb

DMC4 Combo video trailer - Nothing

As the title says this is just an extended preview of what is to come in terms of combos in DMC4. It is still worth a watch for some crazy set ups the player performs for Dante. Nero's combos were lacking aside from a couple, he has more potential than just what is shown and so does Dante.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Dahbomb said:
DMC4 Combo video trailer - Nothing

As the title says this is just an extended preview of what is to come in terms of combos in DMC4. It is still worth a watch for some crazy set ups the player performs for Dante. Nero's combos were lacking aside from a couple, he has more potential than just what is shown and so does Dante.
Really good stuff! keep them coming.

Just beat the game on Devil Hunter. Awesome, awesome game.

I messed up with 30 seconds left during the credits mini-game though :(
Tried again and did even worse. I want the secret ending but man, the last boss fight is just so annoying and you have to redo it every time. I might replay on Human just for shits and giggles, does that make the credit mini-game any easier?

QCF Punch

Neo Member
ThirstyFly said:
Just beat the game on Devil Hunter. Awesome, awesome game.

I messed up with 30 seconds left during the credits mini-game though :(
Tried again and did even worse. I want the secret ending but man, the last boss fight is just so annoying and you have to redo it every time. I might replay on Human just for shits and giggles, does that make the credit mini-game any easier?

I had trouble with this at first as well. For the most part, the demons will move to wherever Nero is, not to Kyrie, so stay away from Kyrie and if they get close to her, use Snatch. Kyrie should yell or give some kind of cue if they get close, but don't chance it since you may not have enough time to react.

bill0527

I just got this game 8 days ago, I've been playing about an hour a day and I'm up to mission 15. I've been playing this series since the first one. I beat the first one and enjoyed it. I hated the second one and thought it was trash. I enjoyed the third one at first, but I had the non-special edition and the combination of lack of save points, me getting my ass handed to me, lack of save points, getting killed at a boss bottle only to have a 20 minute run back where I have to fight everything again, then die at the boss again, then do it all again, lack of save points....yeah I ended up hating it.

I'm enjoying the 4th one for the most part, but there are some things that just annoy the ever-loving fuck out of me and I may not even finish it. The constant backtracking and not sure of where I'm supposed to go next fucking blows. I'm finishing most these later missions with a time score of D. I think it was the 8th or 9th mission, where you have to go across Ferris Falls into the forest, where I actually backtracked all the way to the beginning of the game because I didn't know where to go next. Sure, they may show you a cut scene, but in the case of Ferris Falls, I hadn't actually been to that area yet. The map would have been no help because I didn't know I was supposed to go that area.

There needs to be some kind of indicator that lets you know at least some general direction of where to go. At the very least, give those of us who are past the time to get anything better than a D on the time score, some indicator of where to go. If the game knows that I've taken too much time, then at least give some help out.

I'm enjoying the action part of the game, but honestly, I've never been a hardcore DMC player and this 4th edition of the series, once again seems to really reward the hardcore player. Capcom is extremely stingy with the achievements in this one, and you're only going to get the best moves, if you do a lot of playthroughs of the game and up your difficulty. I'm playing in normal mode and it seems I'm at the point with both Nero and Dante, where I've gotten just about all the moves I can with the limited amount of skill points I'm being given at the end of each mission. And its not a whole lot. Since I've only got 5 more missions, I won't be able to get enough skill points to unlock much of anything else.

Top Bottom