• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

newsguy

Toonami 99 said:
try it with special moves such as high roller, streak, and air raid. you should see the difference.

I don't know what these names mean. I take it high roller is the sword lift which initiates juggling. When would I tap L2, or should I hold it down before I do the move?

I hate the way everything is multiplatform this gen. I'm not sure which version to pick up now. The 360 seems to look a tiny bit better according to some but I prefer the DS3 to the 360 pad. I'm still leaning towards PS3 but I'm not certain.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Tiduz said:
Vikings have good taste in games confirmed :p
:lol They are the Gods, trust me.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I am not sure about my previous FMV comment. After replaying it... I noticed that maybe they are in game cutscenes (like when Belial appears and the bridge breaks down, not the ones like in the beginning when they zoom all over the fountain area). I am now thinking that in those "high end" cut scenes they dropped the FPS to 30 so they could add more effects, post processing and higher poly models. You do notice a difference when Belial appears in the cutscene, then battle against him.... you do notice the poly count was lowered (another model quite possibly) and it lost a shader or two in the process. This is one of those few times I really do analyze the graphics of a game because it seemed interesting.

By the way, Belial owned me again =(. And I was so close too. Any tips? =P.

GuessWho said:
how do you use the move which requires the use of LT? It doesn't do anything i press hold it.

And this. I am a DMC noob, no clue.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
LT charges your sword up for more power, you have to sit and mash it pretty hardcore to light up a lamp(watch the gauge up near the lifebar to see the needle for charging). You'll want to time pushing LT during an attack string to get an auto-charge(up to 3) for faster results. Takes practice.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Relix said:
I am not sure about my previous FMV comment. After replaying it... I noticed that maybe they are in game cutscenes (like when Belial appears and the bridge breaks down, not the ones like in the beginning when they zoom all over the fountain area). I am now thinking that in those "high end" cut scenes they dropped the FPS to 30 so they could add more effects, post processing and higher poly models. You do notice a difference when Belial appears in the cutscene, then battle against him.... you do notice the poly count was lowered (another model quite possibly) and it lost a shader or two in the process. This is one of those few times I really do analyze the graphics of a game because it seemed interesting.

By the way, Belial owned me again =(. And I was so close too. Any tips? =P.

And this. I am a DMC noob, no clue.

For the boss the key is after his flame goes away and he's stunned to devil arm his face, then when he's down do it again to his side. Other than that just dodge before he attacks, or if you get low on health lure him to a building and pick up the green orbs.

And for the rev, press LT and the bar should rise to a certain point then stop. Let go and push it down again, and it'll rise a lot more, just keep doing that and all 3 lamps will fill.

newsguy said:
I don't know what these names mean. I take it high roller is the sword lift which initiates juggling. When would I tap L2, or should I hold it down before I do the move?

streak: R1 + Foward + /\ -- now, at the end of Nero's slide, before he turns his hip to slash - about, tap L2 to just-rev. You'll see that one lamp meter was instantly charged.

non air High roller: R1+back +/\. when nero has his sword pointed up in the air thats when you ex

EX high roller (when you have a light): nero will do a 180 and slam his sword to the ground. Thats when you tap to ex.

High roller to air (holding down /\ or Y):
when nero has his sword pointed straight up tap to ex

EX high roller to air:
nero will do a 180 with his sword in the air, once his sword is pointing away from the enemy, ex.

air raid:
in the air R1+forward + /\
when nero's sword hits the ground, ex. This is the same when you have a light.

It was a good demo. I'm still batting around whether or not I should just deal with the 360 controller or wait for a PS3 to pick up this game.

Danielsan

Toonami 99 said:
streak: R1 + Foward + /\ -- now, at the end of Nero's slide, before he turns his hip to slash - about, tap L2 to just-rev. You'll see that one lamp meter was instantly charged.

non air High roller: R1+back +/\. when nero has his sword pointed up in the air thats when you ex

EX high roller (when you have a light): nero will do a 180 and slam his sword to the ground. Thats when you tap to ex.

High roller to air (holding down /\ or Y):
when nero has his sword pointed straight up tap to ex

EX high roller to air:
nero will do a 180 with his sword in the air, once his sword is pointing away from the enemy, ex.

air raid:
in the air R1+forward + /\
when nero's sword hits the ground, ex. This is the same when you have a light.
Damn the combat abilities in the demo are a lot deeper than I expected. What saddens me is that a lot of reviewers probably never even knew how to use the EX moves during their playthrough.

Kyoufu

I just figured out the visual cue on the Just-revs for High Roller, Streak etc.

Perform High Roller, and press L2/LT when you see the screen shake. Same with Streak or any other special attack.

Guaranteed Just-EX :D

Kittonwy

Banned
Toonami 99 said:
try it with special moves such as high roller, streak, and air raid. you should see the difference.

But like I've said before the reving for the kind of timing it requires, really doesn't give the needed payoff.

Just saw Matt Rorie played the demo on Gamespot Live, and he didn't even know how to use snatch to stay up in the air while battling Berial, I think that's really the problem the game is going to have when it comes to reviews, reviewers simply won't know how to play with skill.

Danielsan

Kittonwy said:
But like I've said before the reving for the kind of timing it requires, really doesn't give the needed payoff.

Just saw Matt Rorie played the demo on Gamespot Live, and he didn't even know how to use snatch to stay up in the air while battling Berial, I think that's really the problem the game is going to have when it comes to reviews, reviewers simply won't know how to play with skill.
Yup reviewers will probably be repeating the same 3 moves/combos the entire game, not knowing all the possibilities that lie underneath.

Yasser

Kyoufu said:

Perform High Roller, and press L2/LT when you see the screen shake. Same with Streak or any other special attack.

*runs to go to try this*
it works!! thanks for sharing this, makes the timing soooo much easier having a visual clue as big as this

Kyoufu

Yasser said:
*runs to go to try this*
it works!! thanks for sharing this, makes the timing soooo much easier having a visual clue as big as this

Yup, now all we need to do is switch L2 to a non-trigger/analogue button to make it easier on our fingers. :D

Danielsan said:
Yup reviewers will probably be repeating the same 3 moves/combos the entire game, not knowing all the possibilities that lie underneath.

Thats where demos come in. You get to figure out for yourself if you like the game or not. Personally i loved it, thats why i paid my pre order in full.

Now onto the more important matters, how many combos does "red queen" (sword?) have? I only figured out the, attack attack delay, one.
Edit: But all in all i am happy that i can get an A combo right at the beginning of the game.

Kittonwy

Banned
Kyoufu said:

I use the rumble to tell, it works pretty well but still not 100%, I think the window could have been more forgiving.
Indifferent2.gif

Yasser

Kyoufu said:
Yup, now all we need to do is switch L2 to a non-trigger/analogue button to make it easier on our fingers. :D
yeah i would much prefer it to be L1 myself, feels weird pressing R1 to lock on and then L2 for the ex. that said, i managed to pull off that cool streak from the trailer where the nero's ranking goes to SSS (i only got to A, then successfully taunted :p)

Danielsan

Yasser said:
yeah i would much prefer it to be L1 myself, feels weird pressing R1 to lock on and then L2 for the ex. that said, i managed to pull off that cool streak from the trailer where the nero's ranking goes to SSS (i only got to A, then successfully taunted :p)
Perhaps someone could create a tutorial video for the just EX moves.

Kittonwy said:

you forgot the RAWR in your post.

Well, I beat Belial in the 10 minute mode. I had like a minute and change to spare. Demo is pretty easy, but I'm warming up to Nero as a character.

Kyoufu said:

I figured it out!

when you attack, at the point of contact you will see a flash of gold, thats when you tap to EX, take the gif for example:

oemwx.gif

notice the shiny gold color after the point of contack, thats when you justEX, all you do is look for the gold and ex. :D

Zzoram said:
As someone new to the franchise (and the genre as well basically), I am quite happy about the demo difficulty. If that turns out to be Easy or Normal, that's fine by me. It sounds like there are 2-3 more difficulties above Normal so I'm sure there's something for the more hardcore players as well.

I got Berial down to 1/5 HP my first try. I'll try again later today. I feel like the demo was just difficult enough for me.

People need to read this.

The demo (of mission 1 of the retail game) is tuned-difficulty wise for players like this. Not for ninja gaiden or devil may cry 3 dante must die youtube combo masters.

LEARN.THIS.

Kyoufu

Toonami 99 said:
I figured it out!

when you attack, at the point of contact you will see a flash of gold, thats when you tap to EX, take the gif for example:

notice the shiny gold color after the point of contack, thats when you justEX, all you do is look for the gold and ex. :D

Yeah thats correct indeed. I find it easier to look for screen-shake though. The gold isn't too clear compared to the other fiery effects.

Kyoufu

Lostconfused said:
About that gif, the ex high roller lands on the second enemy, can you charge during that hit?

Nope, each move only has one tiny window to Just-EX on. It doesn't matter if the move hits 5 enemies or zero, if you miss the window, you won't get the EX.

edit: if you mean can you charge during revved moves, then yes, but as I said, it doesnt matter if the move connects or not.

Yasser

i can't believe i'm poopsocking a demo with the character who, on paper, looks to be the simpler one and have less depth O_O"

Kyoufu, thanks for the heads up on the camera shaking, works perfect for special moves.
now all I need to do is practice and ill get the regular combos down. A video needs to be made for this.

VaLiancY

That fucking slash that he does after you knock his health down to 1/3 always catches me. I'm putting a beating on this dude and then he fucking pulls that shit and I'm done. :lol

It's really a beautiful game and I kind of feel silly about bringing this up but is anyone else kind of disappointed in the texture quality of the cinemas? I kept reading how they were in-engine, similar to how they were in Dead Rising, and while that's certainly true there seems to be a world of difference in the quality of textures being used in DMC4 and those that are in Dead Rising. I suppose some things had to be scaled back to get the game running at that framerate with minimal loading and all but since they're using modified versions of the same engine I guess I was just expecting something a little more similar.

RavenFox

Banned
drohne said:
i know people are sick of the comparison thing, but there are some posts at beyond 3d that explain the effect i was seeing as 'motion blur': http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=33864&page=6

so it sounds like 360 is the way to go, if you have the choice

That depends on certain aspects of the scene. Its not a defect of PS3 hardware but a difference in rendering that capcom opted to go with.[Who knows] 360 also has texture shimmering. Really did you have to sneak in something that is non existant when playing both versions? If your the guy that stops to scrutinize a scene in the middle of some satisfying action then we don't want you in our club. jeez did you even know what temporal AA was before this or you needed a fix from B3D?

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
It's really a beautiful game and I kind of feel silly about bringing this up but is anyone else kind of disappointed in the texture quality of the cinemas? I kept reading how they were in-engine, similar to how they were in Dead Rising, and while that's certainly true there seems to be a world of difference in the quality of textures being used in DMC4 and those that are in Dead Rising. I suppose some things had to be scaled back to get the game running at that framerate with minimal loading and all but since they're using modified versions of the same engine I guess I was just expecting something a little more similar.

DMC4 looks fine as it is, what annoyed me in dead rising was that stutter when an attack landed. Anyways my point is, different games are different games scale/gameplay doesn't exactly match up between the two.

Blimblim said:
25 minutes, 2% of the 360 demo downloaded. I'm so sick and tired of this, The XBL marketplace sucks more and more as new people buy the console. Why am I even paying my gold account?
heheh wanna hear something crazy?

i got a WAY FASTER dl speed from the JP PSN than i ever get from the US one!

also, i got the 360 version of the demo really fast too

gconsole

Hitler Stole My Potato said:

This is true. Capcom tends to balance for loading time and smoothness (framerate) by reduce the graphic in some way. You won't see 10 mins of load time (and reduce framerate) just for the full use of RAM to present the highest graphic quality.

Teknoman

Piper Az said:
wait, wait. I thought the cut-scenes were realtime? They looked realtime too me (a very good one).

The buttons can be rearranged in the retail version.

They are real time. I mean you can zoom in and move the camera around with the shoulder buttons or right analog.

How do you dodge Berial's attack where he stands there, gets all super-fiery, and then charges at you?

I tried rolling and running but neither seemed to work. Am I just doing it wrong, or is there another way?

ezekial45

Banned
Digital Limit said:
How do you dodge Berial's attack where he stands there, gets all super-fiery, and then charges at you?

I tried rolling and running but neither seemed to work. Am I just doing it wrong, or is there another way?

If theres good distance between the two of you, then running works. Thats what i do whenever he does that.

Kyoufu

Digital Limit said:

I just dodged it now with a dodge roll to the left.

The trick is to take advantage of the invincible-frames (i-frames) given by jumps and rolls. So if you time your roll you will get away clean.

Any time, a boss from a DMC game has a slow but poweful "i'm charging an attack to fuck you up bitch" type move, it's best to evade roll (r1+left/right+X) last millesecond possilbe.

The benefit of rolling as opposed to jumping away is that you have invisible frames.

Best OP Ever.. Thanks!

I had always thought the game was running at 30 but the 60FPS is a VERY pleasant surprise. I am much more enthused about this game now.

Kyoufu

BlacKMaRK said:
wait, how do you do that move in the gif?? i dont know what ex is....

The gif went exactly like this:

R1+O/B -> /\ / Y then L2/LT -> left stick back + /\ / Y

After the grab, a Just-EX was performed on the first attack, with the high roller EX hitting both enemies.

To perform a Just-EX, time the L2/LT button inbetween a sword slash (practice the timing).

Danielsan

Well I just placed my pre-order for the CE. It was €60 which is the standard price for normal editions over here, not bad if you ask me. Can't wait till Feb 8 :)

Top Bottom