• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

BlacKMaRK

Banned
Kyoufu said:
The gif went exactly like this:

R1+O/B -> /\ / Y then L2/LT -> left stick back + /\ / Y

After the grab, a Just-EX was performed on the first attack, with the high roller EX hitting both enemies.

To perform a Just-EX, time the L2/LT button inbetween a sword slash (practice the timing).

thnx alot. ill have to try this out.

deepbrown

Kyoufu said:
The gif went exactly like this:

R1+O/B -> /\ / Y then L2/LT -> left stick back + /\ / Y

After the grab, a Just-EX was performed on the first attack, with the high roller EX hitting both enemies.

To perform a Just-EX, time the L2/LT button inbetween a sword slash (practice the timing).
Dang I need that in English.

R1+Circle, Triangle then L2, left stick back + Triangle. Hmm.

Atrus

Gold Member
Is it possible to gain more than one charge in a Just-Ex? I think I'm caught up with it's use but it seems that from the way it's set up, you can't miss a Just-Ex at all in order to finish a whole Exceed combo. (red flames from second swing to finish)

Kyoufu

Atrus said:
Is it possible to gain more than one charge in a Just-Ex? I think I'm caught up with it's use but it seems that from the way it's set up, you can't miss a Just-Ex at all in order to finish a whole Exceed combo. (red flames from second swing to finish)

Not in the demo, and I dont think in the game either. Each attack gives only one charge.

VaLiancY

I did /\ /\ + EX after that and out of no where Nero did some flurry attack like Dance Macabre in DMC3. I have to get it down again, I may have did something else to do but I must do it again. It was awesome.:lol

i've never been a huge devil may cry fan so i was not hyped for this at all. in fact, i've only ever played dmc1 and didn't really get what all the hype was about. however, just finished my second run through of the demo after reading Dahbomb's tips on page 17 of this thread and i am now a believer! this game sports all kinds of bad-assery. i'll be picking this up on the 5th for sure.

dralla

VaLiancY said:
I did /\ /\ + EX after that and out of no where Nero did some flurry attack like Dance Macabre in DMC3. I have to get it down again, I may have did something else to do but I must do it again. It was awesome.:lol

it was probably /\ /\ EX [pause] /\ /\ /\ /\. he spins the sword around wildly after the pause

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
RavenFox said:
That depends on certain aspects of the scene. Its not a defect of PS3 hardware but a difference in rendering that capcom opted to go with.[Who knows] 360 also has texture shimmering. Really did you have to sneak in something that is non existant when playing both versions? If your the guy that stops to scrutinize a scene in the middle of some satisfying action then we don't want you in our club. jeez did you even know what temporal AA was before this or you needed a fix from B3D?

i've got both consoles, and i want the better version -- as i imagine a lot of us do. i've played each version of the demo several times -- mainly for the fun of it, not that i should have to prove my enjoyment of games -- and i went to b3d to talk about the differences i was seeing. the gist of it is this: texture resolution is the same in both versions. the filtering differs slightly. 360 has 2xMSAA, ps3 has this 'temporal AA' instead -- it blends each frame with the preceding one, producing something very similar to 2xMSAA in static shots, but blurring moving images

the practical difference is pretty subtle -- it took a day and several inaccurate conclusions before people figured it out -- but the MSAA makes the 360 version technically superior. some of us care, and we're better off making our decisions on the basis of this accurate information rather than the initial misconceptions -- and actually, if i catch your tone of butthurt console advocacy aright, it turns out that the ps3 version isn't as far behind as people believed at first.

jett

D-Member
All right you petty little bitches, Ruliweb has put up a bunch of new HD movies from the final version of DMC4 (PS3 edition). I dunno what kind of capture equipment they have, but damn if it doesn't kick the ever living shit out of everyone else:

http://ruliweb.empas.com/data/rulinews/read.htm?num=15980

Oh yeah, the movies are also 60fps.

ruliweb_dmc4_ps3_27.jpg

ruliweb_dmc4_ps3_19.jpg

ruliweb_dmc4_ps3_25.jpg

ruliweb_dmc4_ps3_56.jpg

ruliweb_dmc4_ps3_00.jpg

TEH AWSUM.

Kyoufu

jett said:
All right you petty little bitches, Ruliweb has put up a bunch of new HD movies from the final version of DMC4 (PS3 edition):

TEH AWSUM.

Oh my. I'm going crazy, I NEED THE FULL GAME NOW!

TheDuce22

Banned
Ill probably end up with the 360 version despite the controler. I paid all this money for HD equipment, I want the best possible graphics.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Y2Kev said:
Holy awesome at the Nero bow :lol

This game oozes (awfully) awesome personality

i couldnt agree more, the taunts are simply too awesome. now lets hope ruliweb works cause im dying to see these vids:eek:

Edit: Just as i thought, dl wont start :'(

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This game is so fun.

I just beat it within the 10 minutes. I'm so happy, lol, I S'd every major combat setpiece.

FirewalkR

This is so fucking complex and awesome and rewarding when you actually start to know what you're doing. Thanks Dahbomb for the awesome tut. This game is mine day 1. :D

jaaz

jett said:
All right you petty little bitches, Ruliweb has put up a bunch of new HD movies from the final version of DMC4 (PS3 edition). I dunno what kind of capture equipment they have, but damn if it doesn't kick the ever living shit out of everyone else:

Wow, it could be my imagination, but those vids look better than the demo. Either they improved the graphics since the demo or that is a $10k+ HD video capture card... :lol

ravien56

Toonami 99 said:
I figured it out!

when you attack, at the point of contact you will see a flash of gold, thats when you tap to EX, take the gif for example:

oemwx.gif

notice the shiny gold color after the point of contack, thats when you justEX, all you do is look for the gold and ex. :D

i love you toonami^^ its so easy to time it now, but the screen shaking, i dont understand...

TheClimaxan said:
I went from being mildly excited about this game, to straight geeking out.

Yeah. Ever since I paid off the CE of the game, and played the demo and listened to most of the soundtrack... it just feels like a winner, straight up. And the story has me very intrigued and I love shitty romance stories in games so yeah I'm psyched :lol

Man, I'm like polar opposite from ya'll. I was really excited for this game and the demo's left me spinning my wheels. The combat's fine enough, but the empty environments really get to me.

EktorPR

I can't kill the fiery boss (Buriel). :( Been killed 6 times, the second one being the closest I got to anhilate it for good (only a 1/4 health bar left). Any tips other than the usual "run, dodge, lure him to the buildings for green orbs"?

Kyoufu

EktorPR said:
I can't kill the fiery boss (Buriel). :( Been killed 6 times, the second one being the closest I got to anhilate it for good (only a 1/4 health bar left). Any tips other than the usual "run, dodge, lure him to the buildings for green orbs"?

Aerial rave the back of his head until the flames are down. You can remain airborne for as long as you like by using a combination of jumps and snatches (grabs). When the flames are down, grab his head and then when hes down hit him a few times followed by another grab.

His attack pattern is really predictable so dodging his attacks shouldn't be a problem.

jvalioli

I really wish this demo wasn't timed.

I think I'm finally starting to "understand" the combat in this game. I can't do all the combos properly, but I'm learning. But I think it is going to be really awkward playing Dante though. I use grabs way too often.

Ektor: Use the grabs(no RB) to prevent it from attacking and to stay in the air. Like, Kyoufu, combination of grabs and those long distance pulls(RB) will usually keep you safe.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I hadn't even THOUGHT of using the devil bringer to pull enemies back up to the air after a high roller and aerial rave.

holy shit this game is pure gold

EktorPR

Oracle Dragon said:
I loved the demo but I'm scared to commit to the full version... I finished DMC, but I sucked so very, very bad at DMC3.

That's my main fear in my head right now. DMC was great balancing its difficulty...never played 3, but from what people tell me, it was an ordeal trying to finish it.

I finished Ninja Gaiden (Xbox), but that had a great (read: forgiving) cover system, unlike this. We'll see.

Hey Dahbomb, I noticed a number of dead images/links in the opening, so I rehosted everything and fixed some stuff (replaced gif, replaced compressed IGN screens, replaced logos, corrected some typos, among other things). Here's the new code (will edit when posted):

EDIT: [removed]

Top Bottom