• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Narcosis said:
So, while everyone bickers about graphics textures and blur, what's up with the gameplay for people who are combo gods? I can manage to just barely hit an S rank in some fights before I kill everything, is anyone here hitting SS and SSS yet or are you finding the enemies lifespans to be too short too?

Tiduz said:
This game has the best taunts in the history of games.

Nero putting his sword to the ground and revving it as taunting (like in the cutscene with dante) is one of the most awesomest and badass things ever.

edit: Vid of ALL nero's taunts in the demo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioIpMkBCbKk

ROFL i dunno if its just me, but his SSS moves Taunt seems like a Power rangers signature move :lol

SSS Rank is in there, he does a power ranger signature move taunt! :lol

jett

D-Member
Takuan said:
I noticed slowdown during cutscenes in the PS3 demo. Nothing significant. What irritates me more is the banding my set shows... it's all over the place, and highly annoying. Fucking LCD technology. It's a Sony KDL32S3000, in case anyone was wondering. I regret having blind faith in this particular product.

That's what you get for investing in a shitty technology. Although thanks to gaffers like you I'm no longer interested in buying LCD tvs. :p

sprocket

Banned
BobTheFork said:
Great, I'm glad your last post in this thread was many pages ago, so we don't have to listen to you now... oh wait

cant sit here and let people spread miss information. and if you have noticed I have not once said the ps3 version looks better. I have been arguing the differences is all.

sprocket said:
cant sit here and let people spread miss information. and if you have noticed I have not once said the ps3 version looks better. I have been arguing the differences is all.
and you still don't get that no one but you cares here.
AND if you argument has any strength, you CAN walk away and its will stand for itself, you wouldn't need to keep 'reminding' people.
Yeah, you didn't say the ps3 was better, you just said people who say the 360 version is better are stupid, boy you slid your opinion under the radar there

Avalon

Might not be the most impressive graphics from a technical point of view, but the game has a really great consistent look. Very clean and 60 FPS (I skipped all the cutscenes, so I didn't see any of the 30 FPS bits), that's how all games should look.

Unfortunately I was bored out of my mind in about 5 minutes.

Takuan

jett said:
That's what you get for investing in a shitty technology. Although thanks to gaffers like you I'm no longer interested in buying LCD tvs. :p
It's hit and miss, I guess. I'm sure there are satisfied LCD owners out there who don't have the problems I do. The 40 inch S3000 looked terrific from what I saw in store, has none of the problems my set has, but it's simply too huge.

Mrbob

Takuan said:
It's hit and miss, I guess. I'm sure there are satisfied LCD owners out there who don't have the problems I do. The 40 inch S3000 looked terrific from what I saw in store, has none of the problems my set has, but it's simply too huge.

Well, the 40" model also uses a better 10 bit panel, while the 32" uses a standard 8 bit panel.

Takuan

Mrbob said:
Well, the 40" model also uses a better 10 bit panel, while the 32" uses a standard 8 bit panel.
That's true, but according to a poster's mathemabilities, an 8-bit panel should theoretically be able to display the entire gamut without issue. Shrug. I'm pretty certain not all 32" LCDs have banding, and they're 8-bit panels, too. Whatever the case, I'm stuck in band city, with no way out, and it sucks.

Nizz

Takuan said:
That's true, but according to a poster's mathemabilities, an 8-bit panel should theoretically be able to display the entire gamut without issue. Shrug. I'm pretty certain not all 32" LCDs have banding, and they're 8-bit panels, too. Whatever the case, I'm stuck in band city, with no way out, and it sucks.
Can you explain the whole banding issue you're having? I'm gaming on a CRT HDTV but I'm interested in getting an LCD. By the way, I loved the demo. Maybe it's because I've stepped away from the Devil May Cry franchise for a long time. Felt like I did when I played the first one...

ravien56

man im getting mad at this demo, i still cant beat berial, am i missing a strategy? i got it down to 1/4 life left, but hes being so cheap at this point, like putting out volcanoes through the ground that i cant avoid...on another note, why is every1 STILL argueing about the graphics?

If somebody would offer an upgrade to my account where I could put people on ignore and not have the option to take them off ignore I would totally buy it. Mainly because I'm convinced that sprocket never has anything worthwhile to say.

mh56 said:
man im getting mad at this demo, i still cant beat berial, am i missing a strategy? i got it down to 1/4 life left, but hes being so cheap at this point, like putting out volcanoes through the ground that i cant avoid...on another note, why is every1 STILL argueing about the graphics?

I don't know what to tell you. I beat Berial while hopped up on tylenol with a 102 fever on my first time with the demo.

Anyway you could try evading when he puts his fist to the ground, since that's when he'll start summoning the volcanoes. Also there's a few healing items lying around inside the houses if you can get Berial to smash into them.

Oh and yeah this forum is pretty retarded sometimes.

mh56 said:

Make sure you use your Devil Arm to throw Berial when his flames go out. It does some hefty damage, and you should be able to get it off at least twice.

Also, people are still arguing about graphical differences because they're retarded.

LJ11

AltogetherAndrews said:
Looks better than I had expected. The 60fps really makes a difference.

Screenshots don't do the game justice, it really looks great in motion.

Love the Devil Bringer. For some reason it feels a little slower than the previous games, but maybe it's just my shitty memory playing tricks on me. Great stuff so far.

Takuan

fps fanatic said:
Can you explain the whole banding issue you're having? I'm gaming on a CRT HDTV but I'm interested in getting an LCD. By the way, I loved the demo. Maybe it's because I've stepped away from the Devil May Cry franchise for a long time. Felt like I did when I played the first one...
I can do better. Here are some examples (looks worse in person):

http://i31.tinypic.com/5n3xph.jpg
http://i26.tinypic.com/n4bibn.jpg
http://i28.tinypic.com/20pskts.jpg
http://i31.tinypic.com/2evyosg.jpg

It's totally fucking distracting having to look at that shit while I play. I don't have any problems of that sort in Rock Band or Uncharted, at least not during gameplay.

LJ11 said:
For some reason it feels a little slower than the previous games, but maybe it's just my shitty memory playing tricks on me.
I felt the same, actually. Nero's sword swinging feels a tad sluggish compared to Dante's in DMC3. Maybe that's a just a character difference.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Berial goes down easy by just jump-grabbing his face with the arm, slashing as you fall and repeating the process until his flames go out(So long as you stay above or near his shoulder height and to the side of his body, his sword slashes will whiff). Once the flames go out, just unlock and grab with the arm to do crazy faceplant damage. Do it again while he is on the ground to punch him across the area for more. Repeat entire process again and he will be dead.

Also, this thread needs more meltdowns and screen comparisons. I want to be convinced that one is clearly superior to the other! Cmon GAF!

Loudninja

Brandon F said:
Berial goes down easy by just jump-grabbing his face with the arm, slashing as you fall and repeating the process until his flames go out(So long as you stay above or near his shoulder height and to the side of his body, his sword slashes will whiff). Once the flames go out, just unlock and grab with the arm to do crazy faceplant damage. Do it again while he is on the ground to punch him across the area for more. Repeat entire process again and he will be dead.

Also, this thread needs more meltdowns and screen comparisons. I want to be convinced that one is clearly superior to the other! Cmon GAF!

No.

The game looks great. Played the demo on both platforms last night and the graphic and sound differences are so slight and minor they are simply not worth arguing about. Seriously.

As someone who has barely played the series before (Played the first game for about an hour years ago and didn't like it), I had no problems whatsoever controlling the game with either controller, although I can see why someone who had played the whole series on a DS2 would prefer the PS3 version. Otherwise, you can't go wrong either way.

As for me? I MIGHT pick it up when it hits $20. These types of repetitive action games just don't grab me, I guess. The Devil Arm is cool. The reason I quit playing the first game was because of a cheap and difficult fire spider boss early in the game. The Berial boss fight at the end of the demo reminded me too strongly of that, since I was unable to beat it after three tries. I don't know. I might give it a shot when it's cheap.

Game looks great for those who like the series, though.

Nizz

Takuan said:

It's totally fucking distracting having to look at that shit while I play. I don't have any problems of that sort in Rock Band or Uncharted, at least not during gameplay.

I felt the same, actually. Nero's sword swinging feels a tad sluggish compared to Dante's in DMC3. Maybe that's a just a character difference.
Wow, I see what you mean now. And that tv is the one I wanted actually! Though I saw a 40" Sony 1080p LCD at BJ's for about the price of the 32" at one of the more famous electronics stores (Best Buy, CC), $1,399.00 or close to that I believe. I think it was the LV line, 40LV something? I'll double check....

I don't have any problems of that sort in Rock Band or Uncharted

It's because in that section of the demo there loads of smooth gradiants, the fog, the sky which are a nightmare for lcd's. And 9 times out of 10 any fancy noise reduction or "image enhancing" techniques on the tv just made the problem worse. Sometimes even plasmas can suffer from it, but that's usually purple banding on a greyscale.

Dr. Zoidberg said:
The game looks great. Played the demo on both platforms last night and the graphic and sound differences are so slight and minor they are simply not worth arguing about. Seriously.

As someone who has barely played the series before (Played the first game for about an hour years ago and didn't like it), I had no problems whatsoever controlling the game with either controller, although I can see why someone who had played the whole series on a DS2 would prefer the PS3 version. Otherwise, you can't go wrong either way.

As for me? I MIGHT pick it up when it hits $20. These types of repetitive action games just don't grab me, I guess. The Devil Arm is cool. The reason I quit playing the first game was because of a cheap and difficult fire spider boss early in the game. The Berial boss fight at the end of the demo reminded me too strongly of that, since I was unable to beat it after three tries. I don't know. I might give it a shot when it's cheap.

Game looks great for those who like the series, though.
Yup same here. I remember my friend brought over the DMC trilogy a while back and I just couldn't get into it.

But like you said the game looks great for those who like the series.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Whoever said the PS3 cutscenes aren't capped at 30FPS was right, they run anywhere from 30-45-60! I'll have a little video up soon showing this.

I like the demo a lot. I haven't really played since the first game (finished it twice) for some reason I just couldn't get into 2&3. Now I'm excited again and will pick this up day 1. :)

Nizz

Hunter D said:
The game is good. Kind of disappointed that Lost Planet looks better.
They're using the same engine for these games, right? I wish they could have gotten Lost Planet at 60fps.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Heres a .gif instead, I don't want to bother Blim with a video :lol

dmc4small.gif

*DONT HOTLINK THIS If you are going to post it somewhere else, REHOST IT

TheDuce22

Banned
Just tried the PS3 version. The 6 axis is better for DMC since the game was originally designed with that layout in mind but there is a noticable difference in the graphics. The 360 version looks much more crisp. I have PS3 over HDMI and 360 over component.

sinnergy

Hunter D said:
The game is good. Kind of disappointed that Lost Planet looks better.

Lost Planet is 30 fps ;)

TheDuce22 said:
Just tried the PS3 version. The 6 axis is better for DMC since the game was originally designed with that layout in mind but there is a noticable difference in the graphics. The 360 version looks much more crisp. I have PS3 over HDMI and 360 over component.

X360 is also sharper here (have both X360 and PS3 HDMI connected), it may not have higher resolution textures, but it looks like it does.

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
sprocket said:
Thats not hypocrisy... I have never once said the ps3 was better looking. Ive only pointed out what others do not want to admit/ do not understand.

sprocket said:
I have both demos.. and IMO all this is just the fact that some 360 die hards can not except the fact of the ps3 having the slight graphical advantage. I am sure I am going to get flamed for that statement. But yeah after this and the burnout thread its pretty clear.

rs7k

Just tried the demo on 360. I had no real interest in the game before, but playing it made me say OMGWTFBBQ many times.

It looks really amazing too. No jaggies, 60 fps, great lighting. Day 1 purchase here.

JeStaH

Takuan said:

I see the same banding on my 360 and I'm using an HD CRT. Maybe it's the game and not the display?

rs7k

JeStaH said:
I see the same banding on my 360 and I'm using an HD CRT. Maybe it's the game and not the display?

I have some banding on my 206BW Samsung LCD monitor. I usually never get any, it's probably the game, but it's too minor for me to care really.

Lightning

Banned
The DMC4 demo did not impress. I do not like Nero at all. I will buy once the price goes down or I can get a cheap used copy.

Definitely not worth full price, imo.

LowParry

Dot50Cal said:
Whoever said the PS3 cutscenes aren't capped at 30FPS was right, they run anywhere from 30-45-60! I'll have a little video up soon showing this.

Yeah, I mentioned that before. PS3 has a weird jump in fps with the cutscenes, but it lacks the aa which gives a it much more of a sharp picture. They're both great looking in terms of a demo. But is there any mention of any changes within the retail version? I thought I read that these demos are from TGS 2007?

Dot50Cal

Banned
CcrooK said:
Yeah, I mentioned that before. PS3 has a weird jump in fps with the cutscenes, but it lacks the aa which gives a it much more of a sharp picture. They're both great looking in terms of a demo. But is there any mention of any changes within the retail version? I thought I read that these demos are from TGS 2007?

Both 360 and PS3 have 2x MSAA. In addition, it appears PS3 has temporal AA applied as well.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Thanks for the comparison dot50cal, that ones pretty clear. Hope they can lock it at 60 fps, looks way smoother.

LowParry

Dot50Cal said:
The demo's of course. I don't know about the retail versions.

Hrm. I mean I am using a lcd tv. They both look great. Just within both demos, the visuals are a little different. PS3 seems to lacking a form of aa but the color is damn good looking. While the 360 has that sort of aa to smooth those edged out but just a small pale of color. The boss fight in particular looks sooooo much better on the PS3.

Takuan said:

The banding is in the game, not your tv. What made you think it was your tv, buyer's remorse?

Top Bottom