• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
memecomplex said:
The banding is in the game, not your tv. What made you think it was your tv, buyer's remorse?
A lot of TVs DO indeed cause such issues. It's very common.

It may be the game in this case, but that isn't always the case. I believe the PS3 menu itself can suffer from pretty serious banding on a lot of panels.

Kyoufu

karasu said:
It sure is fun playing with this Rev stuff!

Meh, its either the L2 button or my lack of skills because I find the revving too much work for little reward ;(

I think I'm going to change it to L1 instead. Analogue trigger for fast timing is wrong imo.

Kittonwy

Banned
Kyoufu said:
Meh, its either the L2 button or my lack of skills because I find the revving too much work for little reward ;(

I think I'm going to change it to L1 instead. Analogue trigger for fast timing is wrong imo.

Reving is too much work for me as well, having to time it with each slash and not having just-release-type pay-off is kind of meh.
Indifferent2.gif

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Dot50Cal said:
Both 360 and PS3 have 2x MSAA. In addition, it appears PS3 has temporal AA applied as well.

Don't tell people that! They still want to have one superior version so we can keep this thread going for 10 more pages on just how it looks! :D

sprocket

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Reving is too much work for me as well, having to time it with each slash and not having just-release-type pay-off is kind of meh.
Indifferent2.gif

You do know you can get a full power block by only revving 3 times. at first I was trying to to mash the trigger as fast as I could. That is not how it works. Not saying thats your problem. Just getting that out there for the people who may be doing it wrong.

Kyoufu

sprocket said:
You do know you can get a full power block by only revving 3 times. at first I was trying to to mash the trigger as fast as I could. That is not how it works. Not saying thats your problem. Just getting that out there for the people who may be doing it wrong.

Yes we know you can get your Exceed up to 3. Whats your point?

Our point is that these ultra-tight timings required during a combo don't really pay off unless you want to look cool.

Any info on the scores?

BTW a bit off topic but this has always confused me. Why is the japanese demo of DMC4 completely in English? How do they play the game with a foreign language, I see this with a bunch of Japanese games as well, there are english words thrown in all over the place.

Kittonwy

Banned
sprocket said:

I use just-ex, I get a full block, it's just constantly having to time it that annoys me. It takes practice but I just don't necessarily appreciate the low level of pay-off for the work I'm putting in.
Indifferent2.gif

Kyoufu said:

You know you can hold down L2 and it'll charge up a lot, I'm just saying this because at first I was tapping L2 very quickly and it took forever to fill it up. Stupid me. Then I learned that holding it down fills up a greater section of each lamp. I don't know if you knew this or not.

edit: wow seems like sprocket beat me to this, I'm on the ball today gents

Kyoufu

MiamiWesker said:
Any info on the scores?

BTW a bit off topic but this has always confused me. Why is the japanese demo of DMC4 completely in English? How do they play the game with a foreign language, I see this with a bunch of Japanese games as well, there are english words thrown in all over the place.

Because software is coded to use the default language used by your system's settings. So if your system's language is set to English, the demo/game will be in English too if the game has that language.

If you set your system's language to Japanese, the demo will come out in Japanese.

Kyoufu said:
Because software is coded to use the default language used by your system's settings. So if your system's language is set to English, the demo/game will be in English too if the game has that language.

If you set your system's language to Japanese, the demo will come out in Japanese.

Thats so awesome, thanks. :D

Kyoufu

brandonh83 said:
You know you can hold down L2 and it'll charge up a lot, I'm just saying this because at first I was tapping L2 very quickly and it took forever to fill it up. Stupid me. Then I learned that holding it down fills up a greater section of each lamp. I don't know if you knew this or not.

edit: wow seems like sprocket beat me to this, I'm on the ball today gents

Erm, we're talking about Just-revs, where you press the L2 button during an attack to recieve a bulb to use for your next attack.

I think you guys are just holding it down burst by burst, which is slow and well, useless during a fight.

(If I'm misunderstanding something, correct me please)

Loudninja

Kyoufu said:
Erm, we're talking about Just-revs, where you press the L2 button during an attack to recieve a bulb to use for your next attack.

I think you guys are just holding it down burst by burst, which is slow and well, useless during a fight.

I push the trigger 2 times for one burst

spwolf

Dot50Cal said:
Heres a .gif instead, I don't want to bother Blim with a video :lol

*DONT HOTLINK THIS If you are going to post it somewhere else, REHOST IT

what was the conclusion here?

-------------

p.s. this shit is da shit. Now I can not watch animated movies anymore. Watching Open Season in HD - woa at bad water effect and woa and really bad rock textures.

Kyoufu said:

Nah you're right, my mistake.

Kittonwy

Banned
Kyoufu said:

LOL. I was going to get mad but I just laughed at being treated like a noob.
Indifferent2.gif

Y2Kev said:
I can't get the exceed button down right. Someone help. :)

depends on the combo or move you do.

try focusing on the justEX after the finishing the first combo
(Y = triangle)
Y,Y,Y,Y on the last triangle wait for nero to slam his sword on the ground thats when you EX.

someone else mentioned this, I think it was C-warrior.
streak: R1 + Foward + /\ -- now, at the end of Nero's slide, before he turns his hip to slash - about, tap L2 to just-rev. You'll see that one lamp meter was instantly charged.

non air High roller: R1+back +/\. when nero has his sword pointed up in the air thats when you ex

EX high roller (when you have a light): nero will do a 180 and slam his sword to the ground. Thats when you tap to ex.

High roller to air (holding down /\ or Y):
when nero has his sword pointed straight up tap to ex

EX high roller to air:
nero will do a 180 with his sword in the air, once his sword is pointing away from the enemy, ex.

I forgot what the other special move was called,
in the air R1+forward + /\
when nero's sword hits the ground, ex. This is the same when you have a light.

regular combos are tricky to ex every hit, because neros swings are faster. All I know is they usually work after he swings his sword. I wish I had video to help.

Kyoufu

Loudninja said:
What the hell? :0

Welcome to Exceed! The technique is called Just-EX. Press L2 at the right time when swinging and your lamp will fill up once. Try /\ -> /\ -> L2 or just /\ -> L2

Like I said, too much effort :(

Kittonwy said:
LOL. I was going to get mad but I just laughed at being treated like a noob.
Indifferent2.gif

You're the last person I would treat like a noob, you're Resistance bat-shit insane in ways I'll never comprehend.

Kittonwy said:
I use just-ex, I get a full block, it's just constantly having to time it that annoys me. It takes practice but I just don't necessarily appreciate the low level of pay-off for the work I'm putting in.
Indifferent2.gif

Same here, its a pain to get it going consistantly and I dont see much of a payoff. But doing it when you are doing an areial rave is much easier, you can almost just bash the button and it will work, so I basically leave it for that only.

Loudninja

I cannot imagine how crazy Pandora box will be
Welcome to Exceed! The technique is called Just-EX. Press L2 at the right time when swinging and your lamp will fill up once. Try /\ -> /\ -> L2 or just /\ -> L2

Like I said, too much effort :(

Yeah :(, I did that like 100 times .... not really

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Who the fuck's idea was it of mapping lock on to the Xbox360's RB Button? Hell my finger hurts!

I liked the game, Belial owned me but I will get back at him. Seems like a solid 8 game, maybe a high 7 depending if I can change the lockon to RT at least, but I will return later to play more of it. Also, I was bothered by the FMVs.... they are obvious. Should have gone with in-game cutscenes.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Kyoufu said:
It takes 3 pushes though.

But thats not what Kittonwy and I are talking about. Look at how its used here:

oemwx.gif

Holy shit it's going to take me a lot of practice to bust out with that! Hell that shit is crazy.

Piper Az

Relix said:
Who the fuck's idea was it of mapping lock on to the Xbox360's RB Button? Hell my finger hurts!

I liked the game, Belial owned me but I will get back at him. Seems like a solid 8 game, maybe a high 7 depending if I can change the lockon to RT at least, but I will return later to play more of it. Also, I was bothered by the FMVs.... they are obvious. Should have gone with in-game cutscenes.

wait, wait. I thought the cut-scenes were realtime? They looked realtime too me (a very good one).

The buttons can be rearranged in the retail version.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i know people are sick of the comparison thing, but there are some posts at beyond 3d that explain the effect i was seeing as 'motion blur': http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=33864&page=6

This kind of temporal AA/blur is a very, very old technique, long before shaders. It's not an extra, it's a compromise: apparently they didn't have the resources to do 2xMSAA in a single 60Hz frame on the PS3, so they just render it raw and jitter the next frame for an amortized approximation.

The thing is, this trick only works for static scenes with a static camera, since it's stretching out the operation over several frames. Otherwise you tend to get a blurred mess.

so it sounds like 360 is the way to go, if you have the choice

newsguy

I don't understand all this rev BS. Once in a while I get a rev in during a combo but it doesn't do anything cool. Anyway, I finally killed the fire beast in the timed demo. I'm not amazing at action games so for me this was a neat accomplishment. I loved that boss, I devil armed the shit out of his head which caused an awesome faceplant.

Firestorm

How did I miss this was out. Only just found out on Penny Arcade's newspost.

PA: Hopefully you had time to grab the new Devil May Cry demo, taking an opportunity to put the new Devil Bringer to use
Me: wait wat?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Swedish LEVEL (awesome magazine) gave DMC4: 9, 9, 9

newsguy said:
I don't understand all this rev BS. Once in a while I get a rev in during a combo but it doesn't do anything cool. Anyway, I finally killed the fire beast in the timed demo. I'm not amazing at action games so for me this was a neat accomplishment. I loved that boss, I devil armed the shit out of his head which caused an awesome faceplant.

try it with special moves such as high roller, streak, and air raid. you should see the difference.

Top Bottom