• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Piper Az said:
This Live gold exclusivity thing is ridiculous.

To MS - differentiating gold from silver is nice but you should differentiate gold from the PSN as well. Get demos a week early on gold, compared to the PSN, and make silver the same as the PSN...
Demos a week early? Ha, good luck with that.

gkryhewy

jaaz said:
I have a 40" Sony LCD Bravia 2500 series and a 60" Sony SXRD. The SXRD seems to do a better job of upscaling to 1080p, but then again the difference could be do to the larger screen. The difference in the 40" LCD between 720p and upscaled 1080p is negligeable, but still looks better at upscaled 1080p. Specially in Uncharted, deep. :)

My point was that in either case, the content is being scaled (in one case on the PS3-end, and in the other case on your TV-end). If you find there to be a difference, it just means your TV has an inferior scaler to the PS3, which is somewhat surprising in your case, because I thought Bravias had nice scalers.

Teknoman

vilmer_ said:
To older 480p/1080i CRT owners, it is a HUGE deal.

Im probably missing something, but i'll ask anyway. Why would a game being able to upscale to 1080p be a huge deal to older 480p/1080i CRT owners?

Also im glad I lucked out with a 720p capable CRT for cheap awhile back, didnt think CRT's that could output 720p were so...rare.

Jaeyden

Teknoman said:
Im probably missing something, but i'll ask anyway. Why would a game being able to upscale to 1080p be a huge dead to older 480p/1080i CRT owners?

Also im glad I lucked out with a 720p capable CRT for cheap awhile back, didnt think CRT's that could output 720p were so...rare.

Because if it didn't they would have to play the game in 480p. :(

deepbrown said:
6/10 Gamer.tv HARSH

Wow. I have a feeling this game will be a hit with fans but, like DMC3, it will be hit or miss with casual gamers or action game newbies. I think the difficulty of the game will deter people. I personally think it's a cool part of the series and makes the game even more rewarding than if it would just hold your hand the whole way through.

deepbrown

GalacticAE said:
Wow. I have a feeling this game will be a hit with fans but, like DMC3, it will be hit or miss with casual gamers or action game newbies. I think the difficulty of the game will deter people. I personally think it's a cool part of the series and makes the game even more rewarding than if it would just hold your hand the whole way through.
They said it was too easy, puzzles too simplistic, ideas old, enemies not fresh.

They imply many of the ideas are stolen from Ratchet and Clank. :lol

Dark FaZe said:
Eeep. I have to admit I didn't expect words like "simple" and "easy" to be mixed with DMC4.

Yea, same here. Does it specify what mode they were playing on? This is the first I've heard from all the previews and reviews of the game being too easy.

deepbrown

GalacticAE said:
Yea, same here. Does it specify what mode they were playing on? This is the first I've heard from all the previews and reviews of the game being too easy.
They said normal was easy, and Devil mode wasn't that much harder.

I'll try and find you a link.

Dave1988

GalacticAE said:

Here's the review.

Two things:

-This guy doesn't know how to play this game (at least as Dante)
- He can't jump for shit

Dave1988

deepbrown said:
And if he doesn't know how to play it...why is it so easy? That implies that the game isn't difficult enough to make you play the game well.

He's probably playing it on Human. Human is for total n00bs and new to the series. Plus, I doubt he even finished it on Devil Hunter difficulty.

If he's playing it on normal or hard I don't know what to say. Honestly he didn't look to bad and had nearly full health on bosses while the bosses were nearly dead O_O. Of course this doesn't mean a lot as I don't know the reputation of the reviewer, but I find it hard to believe they'd play the game on the easiest difficulty and say this is easy, thats simple, etc.

We'll see when the demo hits how I like it. Although I won't get a real understanding of the difficulty without the full game.

gcubed said:
i think that was kinda his point, since a hard action game didnt really sell well on the xbox.
NG and NGB sold a combined 1.5 Million.

The only console it didn't take off on was the PS3.
But HEY GUYS THIS IS A TOPIC ABOUT DMC4

deepbrown

Dave1988 said:
He's probably playing it on Human. Human is for total n00bs and new to the series. Plus, I doubt he even finished it on Devil Hunter difficulty.
he specifically mentioned Devil mode.

Nemesis_

An interesting reason as to why the European PSN demo will take longer.

To be fair, the SCEE store is about 7 times as complicated as the other stores. They're doing one or two languages at the most, and only a handful of legal jurisdictions. The SCEE one needs to deal with about 8 languages and a whole enormous bunch of countries with different legal systems. Complex!

From Capcom-Europe.com

Which is fair enough, to be honest. Though I must wonder if this means the XBL demo for PAL regions will also be delayed?

Core407

Banned
So which version do you guys think will sell better in each region? Obviously JP will be towards the PS3 but the US and EU?

Core407

Banned
dasupremeone said:
I am so glad that the PSN does not distinguish between gold and silver, any user can download it.....i hope it stays that way

Well there are rumors of a subscription type service for unlimited access to everything.

gcubed

gkrykewy said:
:lol :lol :lol Are you serious?

edit... nm, i dont want to start a NG / DMC war and derail a thread. My point was that the original NG didnt sell in representation to how good it actually was

Teknoman

Jaeyden said:
Because if it didn't they would have to play the game in 480p. :(

I thought that all PS3 games these days were also able to display at 1080i, avoiding that problem entirely. Thats why I didnt see why it would be so important to have 1080p upscale capabilities when their TV doesnt support 1080p in the first place.

Kyoufu

Going to be spamming PSN store furiously for the demo. CANT FUCKING WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, first thing I will be doing in the retail game is changing the controls to allow jump cancelling+shooting simultaeneously. I find the the default control set limiting.

Kyoufu said:
Going to be spamming PSN store furiously for the demo. CANT FUCKING WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, first thing I will be doing in the retail game is changing the controls to allow jump cancelling+shooting simultaeneously. I find the the default control set limiting.

What would be your control set?

gcubed

Kyoufu said:

one major advantage of having a psp. :D I bring my psp to work with me every thursday so i can start downloads early and have them ready for me when i get home, especially if they are going to be hammered like this one will be

Kyoufu

Dark FaZe said:
What would be your control set?

Shoot = L1
Melee = Square

This way you can jump cancel with X and Square easily while also allowing yourself to access to the shoot button to charge/fire summon swords in Dark Slayer style or charge your gun in gunslinger Style.

I can't do these things with the default controls :(

Dave1988

Might as well post what the Polish guy had to say about DMC4 on the X360:

- The graphics aren't impressive when you start. The game starts to shine when you fight the first boss 30 minutes into the game (I'm assuming he's talking about Berial).
- He mentions that Nero's a really laid back guy, moreso than Dante.
- He says that the game is easier (especially with the Automatic mode). Now he'll be able to finish the game (the other games in the series were too hard for him).
- Slowdowns are present, especially in boss fights. It isn't a deal-breaker, though.

Core407

Banned
Teknoman said:
I thought that all PS3 games these days were also able to display at 1080i, avoiding that problem entirely. Thats why I didnt see why it would be so important to have 1080p upscale capabilities when their TV doesnt support 1080p in the first place.

The option is in the SDK but it's up to the developers to use it.

traveler

Not Wario
Dave1988 said:
Here's the review.

Two things:

-This guy doesn't know how to play this game (at least as Dante)
- He can't jump for shit

I don't get these criticisms of, well, criticisms. Games shouldn't be excused because they didn't teach the player how to play; they should be knocked. If it's a mark of good game design to teach the player how to use all the tools at his disposal effectively and in a well-paced manner, should it not also be a mark of bad game design if it doesn't?

Edit: I could understand how DMC veterans could say "Well, this review is less useful to me because the reviewer clearly didn't have the experience I have" though

Dave1988 said:
Might as well post what the Polish guy had to say about DMC4 on the X360:

- The graphics aren't impressive when you start. The game starts to shine when you fight the first boss 30 minutes into the game (I'm assuming he's talking about Berial).
- He mentions that Nero's a really laid back guy, moreso than Dante.
- He says that the game is easier (especially with the Automatic mode). Now he'll be able to finish the game (the other games in the series were too hard for him).
- Slowdowns are present, especially in boss fights. It isn't a deal-breaker, though.

thanks for the info from that polish guy!

twofold

Dave1988 said:

This worries me. While it isn't a deal breaker for some random guy who can only get through the game on easy automatic, frame rate drops on dmd mode might be devastating. Hrm.

Something is wrong when a reviewer is complaining about a game being too easy as it's primary flaw, when everyone else saying if anything, DMC4 is "bitch hard" - quote on quote.

Anyway, nobody cares. The game has already gotten it's shares of 9's and western reviews will be coming soon. Milkman of 1up already said the game is 'mostly awesome' -- don't expect a 10 from 1up, but either a 9 or a 9.5. IGNs Jeff Haynes already spoke well of the game on the podcast, and this leaves gamespot. DMC4 will likely end up with the same avg. as dmc3:se.

Top Bottom