• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Grayman

Core407 said:
What effect does 120hz have on gaming? Really curious about this one.
i've played pc shooters at 85 and 100, feels better than 60 but is only so much of a deal. First moving from 60 to 85 the first few rockets I shot in quake felt really really good, then it's just how the game should be played and it seems normal you don't keep the high of having a higher refresh rate for long. It just means that there are less miliseconds before you see stuff on screen and movement would be smoother.

120hz tvs and lcd pc monitors would just give you less headaches i think. both are faked as far as i know and although they are refreshing the screen 120 times a second they are still getting input at 60.

120Hz is just so that 24fps movies run with a consistent frame multiplier. Each frame of movie is on screen for 5 frames of TV. At 60Hz you get this alternating 3:2:3:2 frames thing going on, which some people can see. It has no effect on games, as the consoles all output at 60Hz regardless of what they actually render at.

So its getting a bit late. I'm watching a Lakers game that should last until about 12:30 a.m. Anyone know when we can expect to see the demo up?

jet1911

Dark FaZe said:
So its getting a bit late. I'm watching a Lakers game that should last until about 12:30 a.m. Anyone know when we can expect to see the demo up?

We’re told to expect it up on XBox Live at 2am PST, and between 2 and 3pm PST on PlayStation Network.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Dark FaZe said:

Yakuza 3 demo was around 5:30 am here, so if thats anything to go by then theres 4 hours left.

Raistlin

inpHilltr8r said:
120Hz is just so that 24fps movies run with a consistent frame multiplier.

Actually ... no. Judder-free film is really more of a bonus.

The main incentive for 120Hz LCD's is that they effectively have no blur. The various CE's offer differing methods of deriving the 'new' frames to be interjected (motion-compensated frame interpolation, dark-screen, contrast-adjusted frame repeating, etc) ... but the rational for any of these methods is to reduce 'sample and hold' (the REAL cause of blurring in LCDs, etc) to a level the eye cannot detect.

dralla

the_id said:
Someone, I need a badass dante avatar. please...

oekaki_dante_dmc2.jpg

Grayman

I am guessing that tonight is for LIVE because PSN likes to do their 3-4pm updates, or am i to be led to believe that I can download the demo in 7 hours?

NeonBlade

Banned
I can't wait to download this demo on PSN and post the only sensible impressions on neoGAF. Only my Godly mind can produce such. I know while everyone is busy getting the Vaseline, electrical tape and playgirl mags to have a cock knocking jerk circle over DMC4, I will have to keep a calm head to form an indepth breakdown and pin point every nagging flaw, in a way only Neon can.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Onix said:
Actually ... no. Judder-free film is really more of a bonus.

The main incentive for 120Hz LCD's is that they effectively have no blur. The various CE's offer differing methods of deriving the 'new' frames to be interjected (motion-compensated frame interpolation, dark-screen, contrast-adjusted frame repeating, etc) ... but the rational for any of these methods is to reduce 'sample and hold' (the REAL cause of blurring in LCDs, etc) to a level the eye cannot detect.
If I have seen screen blurring on an LCD at 60fps I haven't noticed it. I'm also disappointed to hear that 120Hz LCDs still poll at 60Hz, but I guess that makes sense, since that is the upper limit of most tv content anyways.

Raistlin

SapientWolf said:
If I have seen screen blurring on an LCD at 60fps I haven't noticed it. I'm also disappointed to hear that 120Hz LCDs still poll at 60Hz, but I guess that makes sense, since that is the upper limit of most tv content anyways.

You don't notice motion blur on fast moving material? Sports, etc.? Or most fast moving games? If I had to guess, I'd say you're just used to it.

As for polling at 60Hz, what would you expect? There isn't anything that goes higher in terms of output ... other than PC's.

Nemesis_

Activision have taken over from THQ as distributor of most major Capcom titles in Australia, while Nintendo also distribute some of their other titles (RE:DS, Phoenix Wright etc.)

I'm just waiting for the U.S. demo, but all of your impressions will hold me over, especially Neon's since his head is on more straight than absolutely anyone else's on the whole entire interwebs -- I mean this guy seems like the fuckin' messiah.

Kyoufu

I've been checking for a few hours now, but something tells me it won't be up for another 5 hours. Didn't they say it'll be in the evening for Japan?

Top Bottom