• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Kyoufu

Jesus christ Brea's demo video makes everyone else look like nubs. He pretty much gets 90% of his hits IR'd. HOW DO YOU DO THIS?!

Bebpo

Banned
Can anyone tell me wtf is going on?

I'm playing the PS3 demo a lot to work on my combos and exceed timings but what's annoying is that if I'm holding R1 locked onto an enemy and I hit him SOMETIMES IT SUDDENLY CHANGES MY LOCK TO SOME GUY ACROSS THE ROOM even though the guy I was hitting is not dead. This happened to me a bunch of times. I have no idea wtf is going on. Can anyone explain?

Kyoufu

Bebpo said:

I'm playing the PS3 demo a lot to work on my combos and exceed timings but what's annoying is that if I'm holding R1 locked onto an enemy and I hit him SOMETIMES IT SUDDENLY CHANGES MY LOCK TO SOME GUY ACROSS THE ROOM even though the guy I was hitting is not dead. This happened to me a bunch of times. I have no idea wtf is going on. Can anyone explain?

Maybe you're hitting L3 by mistake? Doesn't that change target?

edit: yes it does, stop hitting L3! :p

karasu

Bebpo said:

You've got heavy thumbs.

For any UK gaffers,

you can get the Limited Edition DMC4 for 360 for £27.99 on Gameplay using a discount code, if you want it day of release it seems you need to add the £0.99 P&P charge, just ordered mine, all in £29.98, note this won't work on the standard DMC 360 as it's under £30 already.

The PS3 versions are: £39.99 and £44.99 respectively, so would work out at: £34.99 and £39.99.

PC is cheap at £24.99 if you want that one.

Wow, the last time I bought anything off there was 2005 when I got a scart cable.

Discount: 5.00
Minimum Spend: £30.00
Promotional Code: dt7aquwhf
Apologies if I've missed a UK Gaming Bargains thread this would be more suited to?

Man, I've gotten so damn efficient and kicking Berial's ass.

He's a good first boss fight. Especially on easy mode. DMC4 has a good checkpoint system, so evne if he is a bit too hard for non-DMC vets, it should be okay.

Most know this maybe:

but the best way to maximize damage is to knock the lfames off, then use the punch attack on his gut, knock him back, then do it on his face, which will slam him down, and THEN punch him in the gut again. (don't waste time slashing in the mean time).

This way you can get 3 special attacks in one-go.

ezekial45

Banned
Powerslave said:
Uhh why did the OP give himself credit for making the thread in the op?

I'm assuming he made originally made this thread on the IGN boards. Just in case someone accuses him of stealing or something.

C- Warrior said:
What the fuck?

This is probably old.....but goddamn....goddamn.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zTXDGLQmav0

he just-revved the whole fuckin demo. Even the crates n' shit.

Pretty much ridiculously good. And the way he has the ability to mix charged gunshots in while setting up aerial combos all while just-revving simply EVERYTHING is pretty insane. And finishing Berial with a smokin sick style...O_O

Draft said:
Customizable controls are confirmed in the retail version.

confirmed by whom?

Yes there are some are complaints about the right bumper... sorry, nothing to be done about that. Kobayashi and Itsuno have their vision for how the controls are supposed to be. People will get used to it in about 10-15 minutes (that's what we've seen in our testing).

And since no one responded to my previous question about customising the controls, or you just seem to avoid it, i assume you cannot in DMC4, like you could in DMC3, customise the controls.

I'm not answering it because I haven't had the time to play final 360 code, therefore, I have no firsthand experience and I won't guess. Same reason I haven't answered the 1080i/p questions on PS3. I've played loads of the pre-release versions on both platforms but in the course of "normal" play, I've never gone looking for control reconfig options (they simply weren't needed) nor have I messed with resolutions.

when someone working for capcom says shit like that it doesn't fill me with a lot of hope.

Draft

WickedLaharl said:
confirmed by whom?

when someone working for capcom says shit like that it doesn't fill me with a lot of hope.
C-Minus Warrior, who I'm sure knows more about DMC4 than whatever Capcom intern is quoted in your post.

DMC4 has custom controls. The question was asked by an IGN-er who went to TGS 07. I trust them, also -- DMC3 had it. And it's actually crucial to high-level DMC play to alter the controls to pretty strange lay-outs.

Trust me, Capcom USA is essentially worthless, not to sound like a dick, but when it comes to a high budget Japanese game, the producers over there really give two shits about Capcom USA.

If DMC4 360 doesn't have custom controls, ban me -- for life. I really don't care, it's not like anything in 2008 other than (maybe) MGS4 and a few others is all that appealing to me at this moment.

DiddyBop said:
damn,didnt know DMC games were this deep when it comes to gameplay.

It's a damn shame too many people are thinking this.

I like how people think the difficulty, move-list, enemies, are reflective of the entire 15 to 20 hour DMC4 experience.

I honestly do believe demos are a no-go for story based, linear -- 'character build' up type games.

Kyoufu

I tried using my Dualshock 2 (PS2 controller adaptor) for the demo but no luck...everything works apart from L2, which is what I wanted to test :(

Mrbob

Wow revving works much better with the Dual Shock 3.

Sony lessened the resistance on the analog triggers so they are much easier to press now.

Mrbob said:
Wow revving works much better with the Dual Shock 3.

Sony lessened the resistance on the analog triggers so they are much easier to press now.

i can't feel any significant difference between the sixaxis triggers and ones on the ds3.

Dahbomb

DiddyBop said:
damn,didnt know DMC games were this deep when it comes to gameplay.
This may sound like a hyperbole but I trust you it isn't.... The demo represents less than 5% of the actual "depth" in DMC4. Dante's depth in combat blows away anything Nero can do. If Capcom would've included a demo with Dante and all his style plus only like 3-4 weapons, we would be having pages upon pages of discussions about sets up with styles + weapons.

AAK

Dahbomb said:
This may sound like a hyperbole but I trust you it isn't.... The demo represents less than 5% of the actual "depth" in DMC4. Dante's depth in combat blows away anything Nero can do. If Capcom would've included a demo with Dante and all his style plus only like 3-4 weapons, we would be having pages upon pages of discussions about sets up with styles + weapons.

Man, it was hard enough coordinating with 2 devil arms and 2 Fire arms and a single style. I'm pretty sure I can't handle 2 devil arms and 2 Fire arms and 4 styles simultaneously. That is just way too much depth, you'll need Virtua Fighter levels of dedication and time to master it.

I prefer Nero's exceed system.

Dahbomb

Nero's combat has some merit to it. It's like the DMC1 combat taken to the next level. More emphasis on Devil Triggering, timing moves, enemy interaction (for Nero it's with DB) and a more compact movelist that all works together in harmony.

I tried both version and after first 5 minutes, I didn't have much problem with right bumper on 360. May be because this is the first time I'm playing DMC game.

I've been playing through DMC3:SE to prepare myself for DMC4 (boy am I rusty), and just now decided to finally give both the PS3 and 360 demos a whirl.

The first thing that blew me away were the graphics, simply because DMC3 looks so...not great. I know its just the same look we've seen in Dead Rising and Lost Planet, but man do I appreciate it. No matter how good NG2 looks in the end there won't be the same kind of gulf between the visuals in the sequel.

Going in I thought I might not like Nero, but this demo has put my fears to rest that at least I like playing as him. I don't get the hate this game is getting. I think I might be fine if DMC4 is just a refinement of the series.

LowParry

MirageDwarf said:
I tried both version and after first 5 minutes, I didn't have much problem with right bumper on 360. May be because this is the first time I'm playing DMC game.

That's gonna be the case with newcomers. They won't mind either controllers. It's those who've been playing DMC since 1 that will see the issue. It's all down to preference really.

Dahbomb

Going in I thought I might not like Nero, but this demo has put my fears to rest that at least I like playing as him. I don't get the hate this game is getting. I think I might be fine if DMC4 is just a refinement of the series.
Most of the hate appears to be coming from the "mid way" point of the game, where you switch to Dante and apparently replay a lot of the same missions and fight the same bosses (not all obviously). I think that is a valid issue and is the main reason why the game isn't getting the reviews it deserves.

That and some reviewers still think it's too hard (Devil Hunter mode)... :lol

hteng

Banned
ok i'm no reving master but here's a few tips to learn it easily

do stinger (R1 + forward + slash) and helm breaker (in air R1 + forward + slash), the rev frame for these moves are always at the end (recovery animation) and they are easy to catch. get a hang of it first and then move to normal attacks. Since normal attacks are fast and has a very small rev frame it takes a while to get used to it (especially if you wanna pull off a chain of rev attacks) the rev frames are around the middle/end of a slash.

ElyrionX

So the demo is pretty easy for a DMC veteran. I wasn't even particularly good in DMC1 or DMC3 but I managed to beat Berial quite easily on my 2nd try and reduced him to a quarter of his health on my first.

So the decision I'm facing now is whether to start off on default difficulty when the game arrives or to start off on the harder mode and potentially face hours of frustration. Decisions, decisions.

a Master Ninja said:
I've been playing through DMC3:SE to prepare myself for DMC4 (boy am I rusty), and just now decided to finally give both the PS3 and 360 demos a whirl.

The first thing that blew me away were the graphics, simply because DMC3 looks so...not great. I know its just the same look we've seen in Dead Rising and Lost Planet, but man do I appreciate it. No matter how good NG2 looks in the end there won't be the same kind of gulf between the visuals in the sequel.

I didn't know this demo was getting any hate.

In fact, it's probably one of the few rare demo's thats actually a success. (burnout, turok -- not so much).

Capcom did do a terrible job with the demo, no trailer, no dante, no upgrade element that the game features heavily, they gave us a bare-bones new game level 1 nero that's locked on dumbass easy mode.

Luckily the game's core mechanics made up for the idiocy that is Capcom USA, or whoever is invovled with putting the demo together.

AAK

ElyrionX said:
So the demo is pretty easy for a DMC veteran. I wasn't even particularly good in DMC1 or DMC3 but I managed to beat Berial quite easily on my 2nd try and reduced him to a quarter of his health on my first.

So the decision I'm facing now is whether to start off on default difficulty when the game arrives or to start off on the harder mode and potentially face hours of frustration. Decisions, decisions.

Well if you remember, in DMC1, the easy automatic mode was missing way too much of the game. For example, fetishes and frosts were completely removed from the campaigne. And a lot of the really good shadow battles were replaced with the regular puppet fodder. Ever since then I vowed never to play a game on easy ever again. I missed out on way too much. So I really recommend to persevere and go through with the devil hunter mode, just so you can enjoy the game in all the glory that was intended.

Top Bottom