• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

ElyrionX said:
So the demo is pretty easy for a DMC veteran. I wasn't even particularly good in DMC1 or DMC3 but I managed to beat Berial quite easily on my 2nd try and reduced him to a quarter of his health on my first.

So the decision I'm facing now is whether to start off on default difficulty when the game arrives or to start off on the harder mode and potentially face hours of frustration. Decisions, decisions.

The demo is on human.

If you beat Berial on your second try you may as well just pop it in Devil Hunter. DMC4 has a n00b friendly checkpoint system, so there is really no worry about dying on a boss 5 or so times.

Darkpen

Banned
waitaminute.... I think he's doing the stinger movement, or as its named for nero, "Streak", but off of ledges so he gets a running start o_O

EktorPR

ElyrionX said:
So the demo is pretty easy for a DMC veteran. I wasn't even particularly good in DMC1 or DMC3 but I managed to beat Berial quite easily on my 2nd try and reduced him to a quarter of his health on my first.

So the decision I'm facing now is whether to start off on default difficulty when the game arrives or to start off on the harder mode and potentially face hours of frustration. Decisions, decisions.

Damn...I envy you. I was able to kill Berial on my 7th agonizing try. : /

Yama

sinnergy said:
Yup either version is good.

But personally I like the technical best version, so ill go with the X360 version.
It's also the same reason why I got Burnout Paradise for PS3, that's also technically the best version, no matter how close they are.
I can't believe people care so muh about a flicker or blur, it's Devil May Cry. Gameplay matters most, play it where the controls fit best. Where you can slide fingers to JC, etc. The rest is barely noticeable, if at all. To each their own, I know... but it can baffle me sometimes just how nit picky some can be, especially with a game like DMC4 which is pretty, but not some graphical powerhouse to begin with.

fabs115 said:
i can get him down to the last 1/8 of energy, but his attacks just seem unreal at the very end, very frustartin

He starts changing his A.I routine.

He'll double-up attacks.

When he yells "fire" and does a palm to the ground, fire pillars come up.

You should simply just run away from Berial at this point. Because he'll also swipe at you with his sword while you dodge his pillar attacks. So it's best to simply run away to avoid both.

Also, utilize this air special attack (R1+Foward+/\) -- ps3 version -- it allows Nero to do a quick chop down attack that gets him out of the air. (sometimes doing too many air attacks can be a bad thing)

a Master Ninja said:
I saw this thread floating near the top right before I booted up the demos and prepared myself for the worst.

I think it's a pretty good sign when the haters have to resort to making their own thread simply because they would be merely lost in the overwhelmingly positive impressions here in the official thread.

It also goes to say that majority of the 4 pages of posts in that thread were users flaming the OP.

God, I wish I can play the game that good. That guy was nailing all the just rev combos.

what are you guys going to config the controls to be? I am thinking of changing the the melee to (xbox 360) X and the pisol to LB. I barley use the pistol only to do one shot to mixup my style and charged shot. I dont know what button to map the exceed though.

Toonami 99 said:
God, I wish I can play the game that good. That guy was nailing all the just rev combos.

what are you guys going to config the controls to be? I am thinking of changing the the melee to (xbox 360) X and the pisol to LB. I barley use the pistol only to do one shot to mixup my style and charged shot. I dont know what button to map the exceed though.

I think you want to keep the pistol to X.

As the game goes on, you'll get more charged shot (press and hold X) upgades, and when you get your Nero Devil Trigger, it advances even farther.

Not too mention Dante has more threatening ranged weapons, such as the shotty and whatever else he picks up.

Berial was hard?

I found that locking on and using the devil arm to fly up to his head avoided most of his attacks. Until he starts doing the fire pillars, you rarely have to even touch the ground.

What are demo digest and bloody palace? Are they going to add replay value?

Demo Digest allows you to watch any cutscene that you've already viewed from the menu without going through the game again to see it.

Bloody Palace is a "tower" consisting of about 10,000 floors (possibly more for this one) and every floor you go up contains a myriad of enemies that you have to overcome. Floors with a number ending in a zero usually contain a boss creature to fight. It's pretty much used to collect red orbs easily and quickly.

jett

D-Member
Looking at the ruliweb vids, "normal" mode is definitely way too easy. Probably tailor-made for the braindead reviewers. Better start in Devil Hunter.

jett

D-Member
Forceatowulf said:
Wow... that boss was pretty lame.

Probably because it's on the easiest difficulty level. I like how nero rips out form his insides though, and how they kept the "mega man mechanic" from DMC3, with you gaining new moves from the bosses. :p

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
jett said:
Probably because it's on the easiest difficulty level. I like how nero rips out form his insides though, and how they kept the "mega man mechanic" from DMC3, with you gaining new moves from the bosses. :p
They also took the whole super powered arm thing and put it in lost planet/dmc4 as well. gotta love it though.

jett said:

Even if it's on easy, the guy playing was pretty close to death.

It seems the boss fights in DMC4 are less endurance and more (you do a lot of damage) and (they do a lot of damage) -- more shorter, explosive type fights.

I can defeat Berial within 2 minutes, but get hit by a couple slashing, a fire pillar or two with an explosion and you can die within 2 minutes as well.

Dahbomb

karasu said:
I wonder if any of the other bosses are as amazing in design as Berial.
I was unable to post something concerning the enemies/bosses of DMC4 but yes, there are bosses in DMC4 matching or surpassing the scale/design of Berial. Silver Giga for one, Bael is an interesting boss fight and Echidna has scale and complexity as well. On a smaller scale we have a really tight/badass fight with the One Winged Dark Knight and the One Eyed Dark Knight. Then we have the couple boss fights with Dante. I think there are few more bosses than that as well.

a Master Ninja said:
Do we know anything about DMC4's "store" yet? Having items increase in price every time you bought one really pissed me off.

I haven't played a DMC game since DMC, but doesn't it only do that at higher difficulties, or if they changed it.. that could be a hinderance for farmers.

Dahbomb

Reviewers are still calling this game too hard... I find that really confusing. I mean why do they even pick Devil Hunter then? Clearly Human is really easy and custom made for people who are not looking for a challenge. I made this insanely clear in my OP, I hope we don't have the same problem here on GAF.

People dissing the demo for being too easy are also part of the problem in my opinion as are the "it looks exactly like better looking DMC3". Well... so does just about every next-gen game out now. Even COD4 plays exactly like all the other COD games with different weapons and settings, how can anyone call that next-gen yet say DMC4 isn't next-gen?

And does everyone else notice that aside from shooters/sports game, every other genre is becoming sort of niche? Like suddenly DMC ONLY appeals to DMC/action fans now where as games like Halo 3 appeal to just about everyone. Things do not bode well for the upcoming Ninja Gaiden 2 with this current mode of thinking among gamers.

Do we know anything about DMC4's "store" yet? Having items increase in price every time you bought one really pissed me off.
Items always go up in price but that's only because they start off dirt cheap. They always have a price ceiling, ie. a price where they stop increasing. And you can refund moves and abilities for more cash which is new to the series.

hteng

Banned
Defuser said:
Ok I managed to IR for the first 2 slash combo but the third is kinda difficult :|

the timings get faster after every rev (ex moves are faster than normal ones), cept for the last strike (4th hit) it is kinda slow. but imo for starters dont rev the first 2 hits, focus on the third, coz after the third hit you can cancel easily into other more powerful moves (high roller especially). The forth hit sucks, it will always knock the enemy back but it is easy to rev because its slow, then you can follow with a revved stinger or something.

I just realized that i somewhat hate the just ex moves. They have the easiest rev timing and because of that i find my self spamming/chaining them too often because of that. Well at least i can still get an A or a B combo going.

jett

D-Member
dralla said:
have any of the reviews talked about the difference in load times?

PS3 version loads faster.

BTW, does anyone remember some people making a big deal about retarded shit like the texture in Nero's sword handle in the PS3 version?

ruliweb_dmc4_ps3_56.jpg

lulz at them. lulz.

jett said:
PS3 version loads faster.

BTW, does anyone remember some people making a big deal about retarded shit like the texture in Nero's sword handle in the PS3 version?

lulz at them. lulz.

Remember when the talk was that only PS3 could do such visuals @ 60fps? lulz at the entire second half of 2005 and 2006. lulz. ;)

Kyoufu

Darkpen said:
waitaminute.... I think he's doing the stinger movement, or as its named for nero, "Streak", but off of ledges so he gets a running start o_O

If you Stinger/Streak from a higher platform onto a lower one you will automatically be able to sprint. Further more, you can jump longer distances if you use Stinger/Streak instead of jump.

jett

D-Member
Shogmaster said:
Remember when the talk was that only PS3 could do such visuals @ 60fps? lulz at the entire second half of 2005 and 2006. lulz. ;)

Lulz indeed. Cut-scenes are locked at 30fps in the 360 port. :p

Top Bottom