• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
EverSoTrendy said:
How the hell do you jump cancel. Hell I didn't even know there were cancels in DMC. WOW.
You're doing cancels in DMC all the time. Without knowing it.

hteng

Banned
EverSoTrendy said:
How the hell do you jump cancel. Hell I didn't even know there were cancels in DMC. WOW.

snatch the enemy before it drops to the ground and jump off it, rinse and repeat, its difficult to do though

if anyone wants Nero's falcon punch

23qxs38.gif

Kyoufu

EverSoTrendy said:

Press attack followed by a jump and voila, a jump-cancel where your moves are reset (provided you make contact with an enemy). So you can continuously perform the first slash of an Air Rave over and over provided you press jump after the hit.

You can do this with any move that is either airborne to begin with or takes your feet off the ground, like Dante/Nero's Helm Breaker.

I find it much easier to JC when I switch the melee button to Square, which is closer to the jump button.

For IR (instant-rev) timings, I used this combo guide on GFAQs to help me on one, credit goes to Ninja99.

What is Exceed?

Exceed is a technique exclusive to Nero that allows him to charge the attacks of Red Queen, his sword, for greater damage and in some cases enhanced or additional effects. It is represented in-game by the round meter, properly called the EX-Gauge, to the left of the health bar in the upper left corner of your screen. Tapping LT/L2 will cause Nero to rev the motorcycle handle on the Red Queen and begin to fill the EX-Gauge. Once fully charged, a Lamp will alight on top of the EX-Gauge. There are three Lamps in total, and the fastest way to fill one with standard revving is to hold and release LT/L2 three times. This process should take a little under three seconds. A filled Lamp allows Nero to perform one and only one Exceeded, or EX-, attack.

What is Instant Revving?

Instant Revving, or IRing, is the technique that will allow you to use the Exceed system to its full potential. It involves instantly filling the EX-Gauge, thereby lighting a Lamp without delay. This is accomplished by timing a press of LT/L2 at a predesignated point during any attack. When performed correctly, Nero's blade will flash, you will hear a short high-pitched pneumatic sound accompanied by a brief revving, and a Lamp will light up.

Mastering the Instant Rev

Achieving fluency with IR requires that the player become sensitive to the subtle rhythm of his or her button inputs. This means, paradoxically, that during combos you must pay more attention to your own hands than the screen until you develop an intuitive grasp of the necessary timings. Visual cues are the second key element of successful IRing, particularly for single-hit attacks, so I will refer to them extensively. To benefit from these you will obviously need to pay very close attention to the screen. It's up to you to maintain a healthy balance of both these methods. Our ultimate goal is to gain the ability to consistently IR Nero's every attack, such that each hit is bolstered by the power of Exceed.

Preparation

I recommend that you reduce the volume of your television to avoid distraction, because feeling and hearing your controller is important to getting the proper timing down. To practice these timings stay in the first area of Executioner, or clear the Frosts from the field a bit further in. The bridge to Berial is another decent spot for practice. Which one you should choose mainly depends on which camera view you prefer.

Notations

The most straightforward way I can think of to illustrate the concept of rhythmic input is to display the notation of each attack or combo using spaces to indicate the correct timing for each rev. To this end I present the following notation key:

+ - press the buttons/directions on either side of this symbol at the same time
~ - press the buttons/directions on either side of this symbol in immediate sequence, but not together
: - I will use this symbol for spacing. The time it represents is relative, but it should make perfect sense once you start putting my notations into practice
f - press the left stick in the direction Nero is facing
b - press the left stick in the direction Nero's back is facing
R - rev; LT for 360 players, L2 for PS3 players. A quick tap of this button is all that's needed to IR
A - attack; Y for 360 players, Triangle for PS3 players. As with revs, use quick taps of this button
[] - the button(s) within these brackets should be held
(lock) - denotes an attack that must be performed while holding the lock-on button; RB for 360 players, R1 for PS3 players
(air) - denotes an attack that must be performed while airborne

Now then, on to the moves. This won't be uniformly structured. For some attacks a simple description of its visual cues will suffice, while more complex ones will require the rhythmic notation described above. In all cases, however, I will list how the normal version of the attack is performed.

Streak - (lock) f+A

Rev just before the blade completes its arc and stops behind Nero's body. This simple timing is made a little more complicated by the attack's variable range. If an enemy or obstruction is not immediately in front of Nero, he will rush forward before delivering the slash. Remain collected and avoid revving until the end of the animation.

EX version: Timing is faster than the standard version. Rev the moment Nero's spin faces him left. This occurs directly after the fiery slash; roughly in the middle of the move's full animation.

High Roller - (lock) b+A

Rev at the peak of the arc, just before Nero tilts the blade down to refasten it to his back. You'll most likely try to rev too early at first, but you should be able to adjust for this with a bit of practice

EX version: Slower timing. Rev right before the Red Queen taps the ground at the end of the attack.

Rising High Roller - (lock) b+[A]

Rev at the peak of Nero's jump, a moment before he puts away the Red Queen.

EX version: Faster timing. Rev just before Nero's head points down and the Red Queen points behind him, just after he reach the peak of his jump.

Split - (air) (lock) f+A

Rev as Nero's blade touches the ground. The easiest timing of all the attacks in my experience.

EX version: Virtually identical timing, though Nero's fall is a bit faster.

Combo 1 - A::A::A::A

Standard first slash: A:::R~A:R~A::R~A::::R

This is, to my mind, the single most important combo to learn to IR. Once you've mastered this one, none of the other combos should give you much trouble because you will have understood much of what you need to know about rhythmic input in order to adapt it to other IR timings. While memorizing this combo's timing, I found it necessary to count it out to avoid confusing myself with the rapid button inputs. I broke it down like so: one (A:::), one-two (R~A:R~A::), three (R~A::::)...four (R). I also had to actively fight against my instinct to press A before R.

I recommend learning this one in pieces as I did. Practice until you can get A::R~A:R~A to come out consistently. This is by far the easiest portion of the combo to IR. The short delay before revving the first slash gives way to a nice even rhythm with the inputs for the next two. Next, incorporate the third R~A, which is the really tricky part. The correct timing for this third rev is extremely close to that of the previous two, yet there is an additional tiny, barely perceptible delay. It's so slight that if you actively try to slow your timing you'll likely botch it. Instead, try lifting your finger from the rev button after the second R~A. Experiment with the distance at which you do so until it creates the desired effect. Finally, add the last R. The delay on this one is positively massive in comparison to the previous timings. For this reason it's quite easy once you get the hang of it.

As for visual cues, bear in mind that I encourage you to stick to the rhythmic input method alone until you're reasonably comfortable with it. It's an invaluable technique. That said, here they are. First slash, rev as the sword scrapes the ground. The delay is probably a tad longer than you'll expect. Second slash, rev in the middle of the animation, or just after this point. Third slash, same as the second, but more difficult to judge because of its horizontal trajectory. Fourth slash, right as the sword makes contact with the ground, before you see sparks.

EX first slash: A::R~A:R~A::R~A:::R

I'm sure this doesn't look like a huge difference to you, but the faster first slash can make the timing for the rest of EX-Combo 1 feel significantly off. In actual fact, you really just have to adjust for the shorter startup time. It's really hard to go by the visual cue since the attack's so fast, but you need to rev right in the middle of the slash.

Combo 2 - A::A::::A::A::A

Standard first slash: A::R~A:R:::A:R:A:R:A:RA::R

Not bad, except for the third slash, which will probably throw you for a bit if you've been practicing Combo 1 up until now. You'll notice the necessary delay between the second and third slashes is significantly shorter when the second slash is successfully IRed. Visual cues for the first two slashes are identical to those of Combo 1. Slash three, which is actually a pair of rapid vertical slashes, is revved midway through the second of the two. Four, near the end of the slash. Five, midway through Nero's spin. Six, as the animation is winding down, just before the Red Queen comes to a stop.

EX first slash: A::R~A:R:::A:R:A:R:A:RA::R

I have nothing to add here, since the beginning of this combo is the same as that of Combo 1.

Aerial Rave - (air) A::A::A

Standard first slash: (air) A::R~A:R:A

Not too bad if you're used to Combo 1. The timing for the first and third revs is a tad long. Watch out for that.

EX first slash: (air) A:R~A:R:A

Arguably easier than the standard first slash version, because the timing of the first rev is more consistent with the rest.

I think that's a wrap. If you find any areas of this guide lacking (as you most assuredly will, because I threw this together on less than a few hours' sleep), please speak up so I can address them in additional detail. I'm kind of zonked, so I might have glossed over something important.

I can now IR all the combos 7/10 times, the aerial raves are the tough ones for me ;(

pswii60

jett said:
Lulz indeed. Cut-scenes are locked at 30fps in the 360 port. :p

When the camera pans out to show a new scene, environment or setting, in various parts of the demo, the framerate is locked at 60 on the 360 port, but stutters on the PS3 version. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. No "lulz" required.

pswii60 said:
When the camera pans out to show a new scene, environment or setting, in various parts of the demo, the framerate is locked at 60 on the 360 port, but stutters on the PS3 version. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. No "lulz" required.
The Playstation 3 demo is probably an older version.

Probably. But it's not like it matters. They look the same when in motion.

RiZ III

Does the Special Edition come with the art book or was that just a limited time thing? The dude at my gamestop was kind of clueless.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I still can't find my way out of the first area. I stand on the circular plinth in the church and see the "clue" but I can't jump there or get up there. What do I do?

Kyoufu

Stinkles said:
I still can't find my way out of the first area. I stand on the circular plinth in the church and see the "clue" but I can't jump there or get up there. What do I do?

Go down the stairs, examine the blue skull thingy and get the Grim Grip ability.

Stinkles

Kyoufu said:
Go down the stairs, examine the blue skull thingy and get the Grim Grip ability.

I got that first - I was able to use grim grip to grab the blood through the gate at the top of the stairs - do I use that to grab the "clue" gold thing?

Draft

Stinkles said:
I got that first - I was able to use grim grip to grab the blood through the gate at the top of the stairs - do I use that to grab the "clue" gold thing?
Gotta stand on the platform and hold R to target.

Kyoufu

Stinkles said:

I'm not really sure where you are at by your description actually lol

Circular plinth as in the blue stone object that you need to activate by constantly striking?

edit: yeah use R1 to lock on for Grim Grip, but I thought that was obvious (hint screen comes up after getting it :p)

Stinkles

Draft said:
Gotta stand on the platform and hold R to target.

Ah! I didn't know target worked on anything cept bad guys.

I like this a lot so far.

Camera is super aggravating. "I have camera control, wheeeee!" then suddenly, "NO CAMERA CONTROL FOR YOU!!!!"

RyuHayate

Stinkles said:

Camera is super aggravating. "I have camera control, wheeeee!" then suddenly, "NO CAMERA CONTROL FOR YOU!!!!"

Try Executioner mode, too. I guarantee the fun you have with it will increase significantly without worrying about how much time you have left.

burgerdog

I'm not having any problems with the 360 pad for this game and I played the previous 3 on PS2. I only have a 360 atm so I'm getting it for that, if I had a ps3 I would get it over the instant load, not the controller ;o

Has Capcom said anything about downloadable content? I assume it's going to happen, but have they explicitly stated they'll continue to support the game after release with new weapons, stages, enemies, etc?

Artie

Thanks for the guides about revving, I FINALLY beat Berial using that.

Can't wait to switch the trigger with the bumper, though :lol

Dave1988

a Master Ninja said:
Has Capcom said anything about downloadable content? I assume it's going to happen, but have they explicitly stated they'll continue to support the game after release with new weapons, stages, enemies, etc?

IIRC none are planned at the moment.

jett said:
Probably because it's on the easiest difficulty level. I like how nero rips out form his insides though, and how they kept the "mega man mechanic" from DMC3, with you gaining new moves from the bosses. :p

The funny thing is, some have complained that the game is still too hard.

When you start the game, the pathway is like this:

TITLE SCREEN:
New Game<------
Load Game
Options

Tutorial
OFF
ON <-----------

Human
"For those who have never played a Devil May Cry game before."

Devil Hunter
"For those who have finished a Devil May Cry game and lived to tell the tale."

(If you choose human, it asks if you want automatic on or off, choosing devil hunter naturally has no such option)

Problem is, some poor sap is going to be like, well -- I finished DMC2!!! So I'll play devil hunter...poor kid.

So does anyone else feel they are not getting the proper experience out of the game (demo)?

Not being able to do all of these fancy combinations reduces the game to three or four moves washed, rinsed and repeated. I understand that a game will always offer a higher level of expertise, but when the core of this game is combat why make it so inaccessible?

Dave1988

Opus Angelorum said:
So does anyone else feel they are not getting the proper experience out of the game (demo)?

Not being able to do all of these fancy combinations reduces the game to three or four moves washed, rinsed and repeated. I understand that a game will always offer a higher level of expertise, but when the core of this game is combat why make it so inaccessible?

Because some decisions made by Capcom are really, really dumb.

neojubei said:
If he did all hell is going to break loose. Milky is Itagaki's right hand press-man.

Milky and Itagaki are off-record good friends. I personally don't see anything wrong with that being the reason why Itagaki would rather go to him for interviews and such, it only makes sense. If I were a producer I'd rather be interviewed with somebody who actually knows a little about my work.

Anyway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYeq2gtKCyU

DMC4 really needed a Halo 3 'record yourself' system. You could just imagine all the combo vids uploaded. Goddamn, anyone who knows game programming, is an update possible to achieve this? Or is it just too much of a large product update to consider in an patch?

Opus Angelorum said:

In truth, the demo is a taste of a less than ten minute mode, and a boss fight mode.

So what they give you should keep you distracted for such duration. For the full version, naturally -- there are RPG elements in which you build up your character, change characters and the like.

I personally feel, that Capcom USA did a terrible job selling the demo, nothing -- no combat videos, no mention of Dante, old-ass demo that while with updated code, is essentially the TGS 2006 demo.

If the core-gameplay to DMC4 wasn't as interesting and as fluid as it is -- this demo would be a disaster like the burnout and turok demos.

Stinkles said:

Its usually areas where there is no combat that the camera is static. Areas that do have combat the camera can be moved (and better yet, clicked by either tapping lock-on or clicking in the right analog)

Zzoram

C- Warrior said:
The funny thing is, some have complained that the game is still too hard.

When you start the game, the pathway is like this:

TITLE SCREEN:
New Game<------
Load Game
Options

Tutorial
OFF
ON <-----------

Human
"For those who have never played a Devil May Cry game before."

Devil Hunter
"For those who have finished a Devil May Cry game and lived to tell the tale."

(If you choose human, it asks if you want automatic on or off, choosing devil hunter naturally has no such option)

Problem is, some poor sap is going to be like, well -- I finished DMC2!!! So I'll play devil hunter...poor kid.

What is automatic?

C- Warrior said:
If the core-gameplay to DMC4 wasn't as interesting and as fluid as it is -- this demo would be a disaster like the burnout and Turok demos.

That's exactly what it felt like.

If anything the demo only really satisfies the long time fans of the series. If I hadn't played any of the previous games I'm not sure I'd like the demo at all.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
i really wanted to like this demo...............

i prefer heavenly sword now.

Top Bottom