• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Mugen

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:
So does anyone else feel they are not getting the proper experience out of the game (demo)?

Not being able to do all of these fancy combinations reduces the game to three or four moves washed, rinsed and repeated. I understand that a game will always offer a higher level of expertise, but when the core of this game is combat why make it so inaccessible?

Just because you can't do the fancy combos you see in the video doesn't mean you're not getting proper experience. You can still have tons of fun playing the game and doing whatever your skill level can do, who cares what other people can do. Very few people can do the mad jump cancelling that Tatsumaru Black does.

Madman

Opus Angelorum said:
That's exactly what it felt like.

If anything the demo only really satisfies the long time fans of the series. If I hadn't played any of the previous games I'm not sure I'd like the demo at all.
I only played DMC briefly once before, and I really enjoyed the demo. Anecdotal, but that's my experience.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
C- Warrior said:
The funny thing is, some have complained that the game is still too hard.

When you start the game, the pathway is like this:

TITLE SCREEN:
New Game<------
Load Game
Options

Tutorial
OFF
ON <-----------

Human
"For those who have never played a Devil May Cry game before."

Devil Hunter
"For those who have finished a Devil May Cry game and lived to tell the tale."

(If you choose human, it asks if you want automatic on or off, choosing devil hunter naturally has no such option)

Problem is, some poor sap is going to be like, well -- I finished DMC2!!! So I'll play devil hunter...poor kid.
WHY?! WHY CAPCOM?!

Mugen said:
Just because you can't do the fancy combos you see in the video doesn't mean you're not getting proper experience. You can still have tons of fun playing the game and doing whatever your skill level can do, who cares what other people can do. Very few people can do the mad jump cancelling that Tatsumaru Black does.

I actually noticed that.

I was in the shower and my roomate came and she started playing my DMC4 (bitch...hands off).

Anyway, she said it was cool "floating in the air while shooting was so fun" :lol

Let's just say I didn't bother teaching her Just-EX revving with air canceling mechanics.

Zzoram said:
What is automatic?

The game does the combos for you contextually.

So if you press the slash button while a demon is far away from you, it'll automatically register as a 'streak' special move.

It's dumb, I don't know why Capcom put in there.

And it's literally designed for grandmas.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
otake said:
i really wanted to like this demo...............

i prefer heavenly sword now.
I... really don't wanna argue... I mean, Heavenly Sword is great and all that, but DMC... is DMC, holy crap!

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
C- Warrior said:
The game does the combos for you contextually.

So if you press the slash button while a demon is far away from you, it'll automatically register as a 'streak' special move.

It's dumb, I don't know why Capcom put in there.

And it's literally designed for grandmas.

Casuals... it's Wii fault! NOOOOOOOOO!!!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
otake said:
i really wanted to like this demo...............

i prefer heavenly sword now.
The demo is a terrible introduction to DMC, and this is coming from a longtime fan of the series. If they remove the challenge (like they did in the first level of the demo), they also remove the tension, and that makes the game seem dull and lifeless.

The Stranglehold demo had the same problem, but luckily, you were able to adjust the difficulty after beating it.

I didn't really think that I liked this demo all that much at first, yet I still feel compelled to play through it at least once a day:lol

I don't know if Capcom could ever recapture the magic of that first DMC demo (I think I played it more than I did a lot of full retail games that I've owned) but this isn't the best way to introduce new people to your franchise.

In fact, besides a couple of exceptions, demos so far this gen have steered me more away from purchases than towards them. DMC4 first day for me regardless:D

hteng

Banned
the demo was easy and it was aimed more toward casuals, at the same time it was good enough for hardcore fans because the gameplay was deep enough, just watch the crazy combo vids, they make you look like kids, there is alot of things to experiment in the demo (ie: i never knew there was instant rev, and went back to play it for a few hours trying to figure out how to rev properly).

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
I finally hooked up my 360 and PS3 to the same TV and there are certainly a couple notable differences between the two.

The 360 version has more anti-aliasing, almost no motion-blur (to its benefit, actually), and just runs more smoothly in its nice bright overtone.

The PS3 version's cutscenes do not drop down to 30 fps like the 360's (which play at 30 fps instead of the PS3's 60), the contrast is much higher, there are more jaggies, and there is some weird DMC1-esque motion-blur.

Question: will you be able to adjust the contrast and motion-blur settings on the PS3 version? I ask because, for motion blur at least, the PS3 version looks noticeably worse (IMO) because of the motion blur. Colors have this dreary/fade-ish effect when the camera moves around while the 360 version maintains its bright and smooth look all the time. I'm on the verge of buying the PS3 version, though, because the game plays so much more nicely on the DS3, yet I would still like to inquire if it is actually true that the game will feature control-adjustment options in the retail build.

karasu said:
I wonder if any of the other bosses are as amazing in design as Berial.
I think that snake/flower/woman boss is way more creative than setting fire to this.
20keqaf.jpg

Poigea

I have never played a DMC game before (I have played NG, GoW, and HS) and I really enjoyed the demo. I will definitely be picking this game up, and I will probably pick up DMC 1-3 if I can find that 3-pack before this comes out. The depth and fluidity of the combat is awesome.

Teknoman

I dont understand why people think they cant do fancy combos as well in DMC games. Nearly every combo in the game, no matter how complex looks fancy on screen. Just mix up different attacks and keep moving. It's not that hard. Things get even better when they add the function to change weapons on the fly. Just don't keep doing the same thing over and over and you'll get the "full" experience.

Zzoram

Poigea said:
I have never played a DMC game before (I have played NG, GoW, and HS) and I really enjoyed the demo. I will definitely be picking this game up, and I will probably pick up DMC 1-3 if I can find that 3-pack before this comes out. The depth and fluidity of the combat is awesome.

Ya, I think us DMC noobs liked the demo more BECAUSE it was so supposedly "easy". Having a really hard demo is one easy way to scare off any potential new audience.

I wonder if this game will sell well. More specifically, I wonder if the Xbox 360 audience will adopt this as their "game of the month" hive mind thing, considering that there hasn't really been anything of notice released since November for them.

jett

D-Member
Zzoram said:
Ya, I think us DMC noobs liked the demo more BECAUSE it was so supposedly "easy". Having a really hard demo is one easy way to scare off any potential new audience.

I wonder if this game will sell well. More specifically, I wonder if the Xbox 360 audience will adopt this as their "game of the month" hive mind thing, considering that there hasn't really been anything of notice released since November for them.

Hopefully...but it seems there's not much excitement among the ecksbocks crowd.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
drohne said:
the 360 version has 2xMSAA -- the ps3 version instead blends each frame with preceding ones, creating something very similar to 2xMSAA in static shots, but creating blur and afterimages when in motion

cutscenes in the 360 version are locked at 30fps -- in the ps3 version they move between 30 and 60fps

Those are the two things that are keeping me from buying the easier-to-play-and-more-responsive PS3 version having downloaded both demos. I really hate that temporal AA (or whatever its called) that blends the frames together. It makes the game look much less crisp. Has it been confirmed that this enhancement will be removed in the PS3 retail copy?

Also, the fluctuating framerate in the cutscenes detracts from the game's sense of polish -- will the cutscenes in the final retail version (PS3) be a bit more consistant in terms of framerate (hopefully you will be able to adjust the contrast settings as well?)?

I thought the decision was simple earlier: I'll definitely get the 360 version ...wrong. After playing the PS3 demo, it's much more fun, satisfying, and comfortable to play with the DS3. I hope it's not at the expense of the visuals.

Zzoram

jett said:
Hopefully...but it seems there's not much excitement among the ecksbocks crowd.

Ya, I don't know many 360 owners who are hyped for DMC4. The cheesy story trailers don't help either. If they do a commercial, it should focus on the graphics, combos, and bosses.

I still think this is the first multiplatform game that will sell better on PS3.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Zzoram said:
Ya, I don't know many 360 owners who are hyped for DMC4. The cheesy story trailers don't help either. If they do a commercial, it should focus on the graphics, combos, and bosses.

I still think this is the first multiplatform game that will sell better on PS3.

I love this way of thinking. Regardless of how I'll be puchasing this for PS3, I still... love this way of thinking :lol

I don't think that this will sell better on the PS3 simply because of the numbers out there, but it will be a lot closer than any other multiplatform game.

dralla

Psychotext said:
I don't think that this will sell better on the PS3 simply because of the numbers out there, but it will be a lot closer than any other multiplatform game.

It'll be close in world wide sales, I wouldn't be surprised if the PS3 version gets the edge.

Loudninja

Psychotext said:

Burnout maybe one of those as well

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Loudninja said:
Burnout maybe one of those as well

Doubt it (for both DMC and Burnout), but I'm too lazy to justify what, in my mind, is obvious.

ypo said:
Download these 60 fps videos from here and judge for yourself. To me they reduced the weird blur effect greatly and the framerate is very smooth during cutscenes now.

http://ruliweb.empas.com/data/rulinews/read.htm?num=15980

I would watch it but download speeds are terrible...

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Damn I finally got the hang of the rev system while doing combos in mid stuff. I got to say it is kind of tricky busting out with the third that gives you the BIG red finish. But practice makes perfect already busting out with the S stuff so hopefully with more of the combo list unlocked in the full game I can achieve the all Mighty SSS!

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Awntawn said:
Interesting, post-demo optimizations? ;o

Can someone watch these for me? :D

I can't seem to get any good speeds at all. All I want to know is if the contrast/temporal-AA-motion-blur have been addressed at least a little.

Kyoufu

The comments on the PS3 version's blur is pathetic. I can't believe what I'm reading here. If it bothers you so much, get the 360 version and stfu. I will take blur that I'm not paying attention to because I'm actually focusing on the game instead of hand cramps from the 360 pad.

Anyways, as someone said earlier, to get the full experience of DMC all you need to do is run around and try to mix up your attacks. The great thing about DMC4 will be your chances to do this are greatened with the real time style switching. If you can't do this then forget about it and play something else.

You will find that changing controls in the retail version will make things alot easier, and that the tatsumarublack jump-cancels are actually PRETTY SIMPLE to perform once you actually know how (jump and attack).

DMC is not rocket surgery. There are tutorials on youtube that explain everything.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
C- Warrior said:
Its usually areas where there is no combat that the camera is static. Areas that do have combat the camera can be moved (and better yet, clicked by either tapping lock-on or clicking in the right analog)

I know, but I wish to look around.

LordK

Yeah, the blur on the PS3 version was getting on my nerves. For me, the ps3 version provides a cleaner picture (FAR less shimmering/dot crawling) while the 360 version is more detailed and less blurry looking.

fartblast

Banned
just when im about to give up on this gen i discover this demo out of nowhere in the marketplace, such a goooood game. graphics are what games should look like this gen, seems with a lot of games this gen the graphics are really good in some spots and equally as crappy in others, DMC4 seems to balance these two just fine. for example you have halo 3 that looks pretty good but runs at 30fps and 480p, whereas you have DMC4 running @ 60 fps without the rez cap

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
the motion blur/temporal AA effect is still in the final ps3 version -- i don't want to spoil anything by watching ruliweb's videos, but i posted one of their screenshots several pages back (link), and you can see EXACTLY THE SAME blurring and afterimages. console boosterism is one thing, but it's kind of shitty to sell the ps3 version by touting nonexistent changes in the final release.

i guess we don't know exactly how the final versions will differ from the demos -- there are a couple moments in the demo where ps3 has better shaders, and there may be more in the full game -- but it's safe to say that the AA situation isn't going to change. and the AA situation gives the 360 version the technical edge.

Teknoman

Kyoufu said:
The comments on the PS3 version's blur is pathetic. I can't believe what I'm reading here. If it bothers you so much, get the 360 version and stfu. I will take blur that I'm not paying attention to because I'm actually focusing on the game instead of hand cramps from the 360 pad.

Anyways, as someone said earlier, to get the full experience of DMC all you need to do is run around and try to mix up your attacks. The great thing about DMC4 will be your chances to do this are greatened with the real time style switching. If you can't do this then forget about it and play something else.

You will find that changing controls in the retail version will make things alot easier, and that the tatsumarublack jump-cancels are actually PRETTY SIMPLE to perform once you actually know how (jump and attack).

DMC is not rocket surgery. There are tutorials on youtube that explain everything.

Yup exactly what I was saying earlier. Also as a side note, Virtua Fighter series isnt that hard to be "good" with either. Just pick a favorite character or 2 (or 3 if you're used to the fighting system) and just play with em. Try different combos from the move list or string your own. No game is that hard to have fun with. Same with how people were apprehensive with GOD HAND or the demo to MGS3. Now playing it is just second nature, just spend a bit of time with the real version of the game and you should be good.

Especially when more weapons and moves become availible. You'll be SSStylish'ing in no time.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Kyoufu said:

When you're making a $60 investment of your time, you want to make sure you're getting the most for you money. Some people have problems with v-sync, some have it with Mass Effect's image-grain, and some have problems with this shitty temporal-AA-induced motion blur. For many, these various "quirks" detract from the experience a reasonable amount. Deal with it.

fartblast said:
just when im about to give up on this gen i discover this demo out of nowhere in the marketplace, such a goooood game. graphics are what games should look like this gen, seems with a lot of games this gen the graphics are really good in some spots and equally as crappy in others, DMC4 seems to balance these two just fine. for example you have halo 3 that looks pretty good but runs at 30fps and 480p, whereas you have DMC4 running @ 60 fps without the rez cap

Huh?

Sanjay

is there any way to play the ps3 demo version scaled to 1080p in any way. i have a 1080p hdtv and when i press info it shows up that its at 720p.

Teknoman

fartblast said:
for example you have halo 3 that looks pretty good but runs at 30fps and 480p

Wait what?

Sanjay said:
is there any way to play the ps3 demo version scaled to 1080p in any way. i have a 1080p hdtv and when i press info it shows up that its at 720p.

I remember reading somewhere earlier in the topic that the demo wasnt 1080p compatible, or something to that effect.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Okay, How do you rev attacks? Just a thought...Ive been starting it. I manage to get close to it. I can hit reving about 40% of attacks but Im having trouble finding the excat moment or position

Jirotrom

Kyoufu said:

you get hand cramps on a 360 controller and not the ps2-3 controller?

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
drohne said:
the motion blur/temporal AA effect is still in the final ps3 version -- i don't want to spoil anything by watching ruliweb's videos, but i posted one of their screenshots several pages back (link), and you can see EXACTLY THE SAME blurring and afterimages. console boosterism is one thing, but it's kind of shitty to sell the ps3 version by touting nonexistent changes in the final release.

i guess we don't know exactly how final versions will differ from the demos -- there are a couple moments in the demo where ps3 has better shaders, and there may be more in the full game -- but it's safe to say that the AA situation isn't going to change. and the AA situation gives the 360 version the technical edge.

Ah, that's too bad. I'm not one to be picky about graphical minutiae but this motion-blur effect bugs me. Now that we've established that it's not going anywhere, does anyone know why the temporal-anti-aliasing was employed in the PS3 version?

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Jirotrom said:
you get hand cramps on a 360 controller and not the ps2-3 controller?

The 360's buttons are bit stiffer and have round surfaces that are not ideal for quick button presses. Also, The size, weight, and awkward positioning of the triggers in relation to the buttons (only for DMC; for everything else, I much prefer the 360 controller) contributes to the hand-crampiness.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
shintoki said:
Okay, How do you rev attacks? Just a thought...Ive been starting it. I manage to get close to it. I can hit reving about 40% of attacks but Im having trouble finding the excat moment or position

I would say do after the second hit of any attack right when you will do you second attack rev+hit at the same time I get it almost all the time unless I miss.

Kyoufu said:

lololol

hey i think people saying that they'd get hand cramps from playing this game on a 360 pad are sissies! do all of you complaining about it have little girls hands?!

Top Bottom