• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Dahbomb

Probably old.

20080125.jpg

eso76

I finally had the chance to try both version and i'm inclined to believe your setup makes a huge difference.
On my 720p 3lcd rptv sony bravia the ps3 (which generally benefits considerably from hdmi connection) looks like ass, plain and simple.
Awful, awful, awful IQ, it honestly looks exactly as though the console was connected through poor video-composite cables; blockiness, blurriness and color artifacts ahoy.
X360 version looks like 1000 times crisper and cleaner.
Someone here states the opposite, and believe me, even the biggest sony fanboy wearing the rosest tinted glasses wouldn't be able to force himself into saying this after witnessing what i saw, that's why i believe it depends mostly on your setup; i noticed it's often the case with ps3, with games looking perfectly crisp&clean for me being called a jagged mess by someone else.

What is this Motion Blur in the PS3 version? It's not mentioned in the demo how to perform such attack! Or is it an advanced technique? And most importantly, does it allow (or prevent) me from increasing the Style bar?

mr_nothin

Banned
ScissorHands said:
What is this Motion Blur in the PS3 version? It's not mentioned in the demo how to perform such attack! Or is it an advanced technique? And most importantly, does it allow (or prevent) me from increasing the Style bar?
underconstruction8li.gif

"GOOD JOB!"

TheDuce22

Banned
ypo said:
Yea I don't understand his claim that temporal AA is inferior to 2x AA. I mean for one it effectively doubles amount of AA you get. So 2x temporal AA is effectively 4x spatial AA, 4x TAA is effectly 8x regular AA and so on. Not to mentioned the high performance requirements for temporal AA which are at the minimum 60 fps with Vsync enabled. How is that inferior?

Whats not to understand? The PS3 version is blurry compared to the 360 version. If you have both consoles use your two eyes and see for yourself. Or you can sit here and argue against something that fucking obvious to anyone who has played them both for more than 30 seconds.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
TheDuce22 said:
Whats not to understand? The PS3 version is blurry compared to the 360 version. If you have both consoles use your two eyes and see for yourself. Or you can sit here and argue against something that fucking obvious to anyone who has played them both for more than 30 seconds.

If I'm not mistaken, DMC1 used this exact technique to artificially enhance the AA.

Teknoman

ScissorHands said:

5 bucks says Suda51 names some of the special attacks/modes in his next game "Motion Blur" and "Framerate".

Kyoufu said:
Don't even try to make it seem like the irrelevant blur is a deal-breaker to anyone but yourself.

complete and utter bullshit. it is relevant and plenty of people are complaining about the blur around the web and praying that there is an option to turn it off in the retail build.

Loudninja

The DMC4 demo is weaksauce, but the full game isn't. It's true. The demo that launched on Xbox Live and the PlayStation Network was but a mere sampling of the combat riches that await you.What it doesn't do is reflect just how action-packed the full game is. In actuality, it's basically the E3 demo featuring the first boss, Berial, and doesn't do the final game justice. The full game features tons of new weapons; almost one in every level, for both Nero and Dante. And they're all upgradeable.

PS3 versus Xbox 360. The differences are negligible. The 360 has 'load times,' according to some, since it loads off the DVD. But these load times amount to barely noticeable 3 or 4 second loads between areas, while the PS3 version cuts the gap down to a couple seconds. The flipside is that the PS3 requires an initial install on to the harddrive. While this is only an inconvenience at the start, it may become an issue as the PS3 harddrives become smaller (new units arrive in the 40g flavors, while the 80g models are dwindling by the day) and PS3 owner's games collections become bigger. Who wants to delete and reinstall games? The graphics are virtually indistinguishable, but if it makes your life better to hear it, the PS3 doesn't do the screen 'tearing' thing the 360 occasionally does.

What the 360 doesn't do, however, is drop a wireless Bluetooth signal, which is what happens fairly consistently on PS3. There's nothing like being in the heat of battle when Nero or Dante suddenly stops doing what you want him to. Of course, if this happens once or twice a mission, that'd be the maximum, but that's more than enough for anyone. The Xbox 360 version also has the benefit of enabling force feedback from the very start, although this function will eventually work with the PS3 when the Dual Shock 3 comes here later this year. The Motion Sensor functionality is all but useless in the PS3 version, though. The game will support 720p on both PS3 and Xbox 360. Essentially, there's no reason to favor one over the other, and if you have both systems, go with whichever controller you feel more comfortable with. That's what we'd do.

danwarb

ypo said:
Yea I don't understand his claim that temporal AA is inferior to 2x AA. I mean for one it effectively doubles amount of AA you get. So 2x temporal AA is effectively 4x spatial AA, 4x TAA is effectly 8x regular AA and so on. Not to mentioned the high performance requirements for temporal AA which are at the minimum 60 fps with Vsync enabled. How is that inferior?
Apparently there's no AA in individual frames on PS3. Instead, successive frames are shifted so you get what looks like 2xAA with a static scene, and blur or double vision with motion.

Like this: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1122321&postcount=180

sinnergy

karasu said:
Odd. We've been looking at direct feed screen grabs of this game for months now and none of them have ever looked as butt ugly as what's in that thread.

Could have been X360 sreens for months or PC as menioned above ;)

Anyway the PS3 version doesn't have AA, it's as simple as that. It uses a trick to achieve roughly the same result as AA. I wouldn't be bothered about it as a PS3 owner.

The blur isn't a extra for PS3, it's for making up the lack of AA.

karasu

Mefisutoferesu said:
PC version. Capcom aren't innocent lambs, you know.

But some of those screens were listed as either PS3 or 360. An the game looks nothing like that on my set. It looks like the screens that you're saying were from the PC version! @_@

Rolf NB

sinnergy said:
Yes there is, it's a side effect for using a trick for AA on PS3.
But you are partly right, it's not a intentional blur by the devs.
Wrong. You don't understand the technique. It rides on the inertia of the display. It does not introduce blur, and there is no blur.

edit: that's what ATI's TAA works like. I don't know why I should believe DMC4 uses this. It does not, as far as I'm concerned.
PS: there is no blur.

Stillmatic

The demo is clear, not blurry at all and features minimal jaggies on my set. (PS3 version through HDMI - RGB Full)

I guess it just comes down to what type of set you're using, along with how you've configured it.

Blur is the wrong word, it's an effect that only happens when nero bursts into a run, certain attacks, in cutscenes with the puppet monsters. Berial coming through the monolith and when nero puts out the fire with his sword.

FFS i don't know why i'm bothering, it looks most similar to the explosions in lost planet.

maskrider

fizzelopeguss said:
Blur is the wrong word, it's an effect that only happens when nero bursts into a run, certain attacks, in cutscenes with the puppet monsters. Berial coming through the monolith and when nero puts out the fire with his sword.

FFS i don't know why i'm bothering, it looks most similar to the explosions in lost planet.

I'm not negative on that, it is a kind of blur to enhance the smoothness.

Berial apperance is also similiar, the blur is added on every other frame.

Awntawn

So the 360 version has a more orthodox AA approach in smoothing the jaggies and producing a .5% sharper image at the cost of .5% more screen tearing. It also has a different method of filtering textures which makes them seem to pop out a slight bit more at the cost of the slightest hint of of shimmer.

And omg load times, but omg mandatory install, and omg crappy face buttons and handcramps but omg extra money for rumble and protection from bluetooth dropouts.

Each person has enough reasons for getting it for the system of their choice without feeling like an idiot fanboy making the wrong decision, isn't that enough? Between all the tradeoffs, I'd say there is no definitive version as there has been for most multiplatform games the past. What's all the pissing about?

Rolf NB

maskrider

bcn-ron said:
All geometric edges are perfectly sharp. There is no blur.

If you're looking at the balcony handrail, congratulations! You have just discovered a filtered texture being used in conjunction with alpha testing.

Well, I am no 3D expert nor I pretend to know anything about that, but the end effect is a blur like output on every other frame, I found it the time I took my screens (for myself) that sometimes it is blurrier and sometimes sharp from my uncompressed 720p video captures.

Rolf NB

maskrider said:
Well, I am no 3D expert nor I pretend to know anything about that, but the end effect is a blur like output on every other frame, I found it the time I took my screens (for myself) that sometimes it is blurrier and sometimes sharp.
Why thank you. Don't call it blur. It's texture filtering. It's the same thing that makes your texture details not jump around and shimmer as if you were playing a first-gen PS2 game. If the average gaffer wouldn't be irritated by the term used in an unknown, more general context, I'd tell you that this is anti-aliasing. Blur is not anti-aliasing. Blur implies destruction of detail, and even if you don't know that, you should know that it carries a negative connotation.

There is no blur in DMC4.

bcn-ron said:
Why thank you. Don't call it blur. It's texture filtering. It's the same thing that makes your texture details not jump around and shimmer as if you were playing a first-gen PS2 game.
So why does that particular screen look so lacking in detail compared to the 360 version we saw? Surely it's not a good idea to filter the textures to such an extent that it looks as though it's had vaseline placed over the lens?

maskrider

bcn-ron said:
Why thank you. Don't call it blur. It's texture filtering. It's the same thing that makes your texture details not jump around and shimmer as if you were playing a first-gen PS2 game. If the average gaffer wouldn't be irritated by the term used in an unknown, more general context, I'd tell you that this is anti-aliasing. Blur is not anti-aliasing. Blur implies destruction of detail, and even if you don't know that, you should know that it carries a negative connotation.

But it happens every other frame, do you mean the filtering is different on every other frame ? The usual effect of texture filtering is rather consistent from what I saw before (other 3D games, mostly on PC that I can play around texture filtering options).

I do know the concept of AA, I use the word 'blur' (the laymen's way, which happens to be too sensitive in this context) to point the difference of the clearness of the textures under the handrail on every other frame.

This is suppose to be my last question on that, I raised that because people seems to be still talking about it. I'll stop posting anything related to graphics in this thread.

edit: I don't post the frames for console comparisons, I am just curious on why some screens are not as clear as the others on the same scene

FightyF

Banned
bcn-ron said:

I haven't played the PS3 version, but in the 360 version there is motion blur in the cutscenes (that run at 30 fps). MT Framework, the engine that's used for this title as well as Dead Rising and Lost Planet, is definitely capable of motion blur.

I have yet to dload the PS3 version to compare visuals...but this talk of "blur" seems really odd. I'd like to see it for myself.

As far as what version to get, if I do get it, I think I may go with the 360 because I was playing the demo over and over with a custom Lordi soundtrack...and it fucking kicks ass.

I was playing Lordi's Get Heavy album...and I'm not joking when I say that the game feels very empty without it.

Maloney

Did anyone find the 360 version easier?

I got beaten by Berial twice on the PS3, I then switched to the 360 version and beat him first time.

As for comparisons, I found the graphical differences negligible. The only thing that bugged me was the PS3’s transition screen when you go through a door. I liked the 360’s better.

Nice demo though, I haven’t placed DMC since the first game and wasn’t too interested in this one, but I really enjoyed the demo. I will probably go for the 360 version due to rumble (I have no idea when the Dualshock pack will be released in the uk).

Oh, my PS3 has crashed twice whilst playing the demo, anyone else experience that?

Loudninja

The Jer said:
This demo has given me faith that this game will be like DMC3: awesome.
I'm so excited for this game.

1up got me 100 times excited

The DMC4 demo is weaksauce, but the full game isn't. It's true. The demo that launched on Xbox Live and the PlayStation Network was but a mere sampling of the combat riches that await you.What it doesn't do is reflect just how action-packed the full game is. In actuality, it's basically the E3 demo featuring the first boss, Berial, and doesn't do the final game justice. The full game features tons of new weapons; almost one in every level, for both Nero and Dante. And they're all upgradeable.

knitoe

I was having hard enough time between PS3 or X360.

Decided to order PS3 SE & DS3 (for load times), but as I continue to read this thread about X360 having achievements and better..., I am wavering again. :lol

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
okay, a lot of people are misinformed, so to clear that up and stop the arguing once and for all...

Psychotext said:
So why does that particular screen look so lacking in detail compared to the 360 version we saw? Surely it's not a good idea to filter the textures to such an extent that it looks as though it's had vaseline placed over the lens?

For your information:

During the texture mapping process, a 'texture lookup' takes place to find out where on the texture each pixel center falls. Since the textured surface may be at an arbitrary distance and orientation relative to the viewer, one pixel does not usually correspond directly to one texel. Some form of filtering has to be applied to determine the best color for the pixel. Insufficient or incorrect filtering will show up in the image as artifacts (errors in the image), such as 'blockiness', jaggies, or shimmering....

Anisotropic filtering

Anisotropic filtering is the highest quality filtering available in current consumer 3D graphics cards. It evolved because both bilinear and trilinear filtering sample a square from the texture, which is only correct if the viewer is looking at the texture head-on. This results in blurriness when the textured surface is at an oblique angle - a very common case is the floor as it recedes into the distance. Anisotropic filtering corrects this by sampling in the correct trapezoid shape according to view angle. The resulting samples are then trilinearly filtered to generate the final color.

source: wikipedia

Shimmering does not show up in screenshots, that is why you need a video comparision to be accurate. Screenshots are naturally advantageous to the 360 in this case. In this case, you are actually complaining (!!!) about an extra graphical feature that the PS3 has but not the 360, which makes no sense at all.

bobbytkc said:
Shimmering does not show up in screenshots, that is why you need a video comparision to be accurate. Screenshots are naturally advantageous to the 360 in this case. In this case, you are actually complaining (!!!) about an extra graphical feature that the PS3 has but not the 360, which makes no sense at all.
But that's the thing... having played both versions now I didn't actually notice the shimmering. I did notice that the output didn't look as crisp though.

Sounds like I should be glad that I didn't notice the shimmering. :lol

Loudninja

knitoe said:
I was having hard enough time between PS3 or X360 version to get.

Decided to order PS3 SE & DS3 (for load times), but as I continue to read this thread about X360 having better..., I am wavering again. :lol

It comes down to the controller you prefer

sinnergy

It played the same for me with both controllers, button layout is also the same.
But because I have gotten Paradise for PS3, ill be getting DMC4 for the X360 to also boost my gamerscore.

Dahbomb

sinnergy said:
It played the same for me with both controllers, button layout is also the same.
But because I have gotten Paradise for PS3, ill be getting DMC4 for the X360 to also boost my gamerscore.
You already said this twice in the thread previously. Also, no one is going to be using DMC4 to "boost their Gamerscore" unless they mean get like 200 points at the most. I have seen the Achievement list for DMC4, unless you are a pro at it you will be trying to get the Achievements for over 200 hours.

I mean it's stuff like "S rank King of Hell mode with both characters" to get 50 points or "Get 1 million Red Orbs" to get 50 points. :lol For those that aren't in the know, King of Hell is above Dante Must Die mode and is said to be near impossible to beat let alone S rank.

Oh and this 1up preview is really really good. Very good job Milky! :D

Top Bottom