• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Nemesis_

I heard that in addition to the Red Queen and Blue Rose, Nero will only also receive the
Yamato
though it won't be a permanent weapon.

Furthermore, does Gilgamesh, Lucifer, Pandora all count as Devil Arms? Or are there weapons also included? (I'm talking Ebony, Shotgun, Grenade Launcher etc.)

Loudninja

Nemesis556 said:
I heard that in addition to the Red Queen and Blue Rose, Nero will only also receive the
Yamato
though it won't be a permanent weapon.

Furthermore, does Gilgamesh, Lucifer, Pandora all count as Devil Arms? Or are there weapons also included? (I'm talking Ebony, Shotgun, Grenade Launcher etc.)

The full game features tons of new weapons; almost one in every level, for both Nero and Dante. And they're all upgradeable.

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3165619

Tiduz

Eurogaime
omg you guys.

Was this already said?

The 1up article states you can upgrade nero's SPEED as well, faster running!

and:
1up said:
PS3 versus Xbox 360.The differences are negligible. The 360 has 'load times,' according to some, since it loads off the DVD. But these load times amount to barely noticeable 3 or 4 second loads between areas, while the PS3 version cuts the gap down to a couple seconds. The flipside is that the PS3 requires an initial install on to the harddrive. While this is only an inconvenience at the start, it may become an issue as the PS3 harddrives become smaller (new units arrive in the 40g flavors, while the 80g models are dwindling by the day) and PS3 owner's games collections become bigger. Who wants to delete and reinstall games? The graphics are virtually indistinguishable, but if it makes your life better to hear it, the PS3 doesn't do the screen 'tearing' thing the 360 occasionally does.

What the 360 doesn't do, however, is drop a wireless Bluetooth signal, which is what happens fairly consistently on PS3. There's nothing like being in the heat of battle when Nero or Dante suddenly stops doing what you want him to. Of course, if this happens once or twice a mission, that'd be the maximum, but that's more than enough for anyone. The Xbox 360 version also has the benefit of enabling force feedback from the very start, although this function will eventually work with the PS3 when the Dual Shock 3 comes here later this year. The Motion Sensor functionality is all but useless in the PS3 version, though. The game will support 720p on both PS3 and Xbox 360. Essentially, there's no reason to favor one over the other, and if you have both systems, go with whichever controller you feel more comfortable with. That's what we'd do.

Source:http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?pager.offset=0&cId=3165619

i remember EvilLore hates tearing Im no fanboy, but if you have both consoles and ABSOLUTELY hate even the slightest of tearing get the ps3 version. This is obviously from the final version, and it sounds like an honest preview to me. so pick your destiny.

Tiduz said:
What the 360 doesn't do, however, is drop a wireless Bluetooth signal, which is what happens fairly consistently on PS3. There's nothing like being in the heat of battle when Nero or Dante suddenly stops doing what you want him to. Of course, if this happens once or twice a mission, that'd be the maximum, but that's more than enough for anyone. The Xbox 360 version also has the benefit of enabling force feedback from the very start, although this function will eventually work with the PS3 when the Dual Shock 3 comes here later this year. The Motion Sensor functionality is all but useless in the PS3 version, though. The game will support 720p on both PS3 and Xbox 360. Essentially, there's no reason to favor one over the other, and if you have both systems, go with whichever controller you feel more comfortable with. That's what we'd do.
Wth? oO Is this a problem with the game or is 1Up just trying too hard again? This NEVER happened to me. Not once.

Loudninja

Tiduz said:
omg you guys.

Was this already said?

The 1up article states you can upgrade nero's SPEED as well, faster running!

and:

Source:http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?pager.offset=0&cId=3165619

i remember EvilLore hates tearing Im no fanboy, but if you have both consoles and ABSOLUTELY hate even the slightest of tearing get the ps3 version. This is obviously from the final version, and it sounds like an honest preview to me. so pick your destiny.

LOl, I bolded the same things you did :lol

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Metalmurphy said:
Wth? oO Is this a problem with the game or is 1Up just trying too hard again? This NEVER happened to me. Not once.

Me neither, but i live in PAL land, use Wifi myself and other shit, NEVER had a dropout, dualshock 3 didnt have dropouts either, so i think its a USA Problem only?

Loudninja said:
LOl, I bolded the same things you did :lol

Great minds think alike! :p

Nemesis_

The full game features tons of new weapons; almost one in every level, for both Nero and Dante. And they're all upgradeable.

There's 21 missions. I notice he said almost too, and that means close to 21 weapons? That's insane if true!

Dahbomb

Just some clarification. Nero only gets one extra weapon aside from Blue Rose and Red Queen which is the
Vergil's katana the Yamato
. Dante on the other hand gets a lot more weapons, I think the first German review referred 12 weapons. There are some returning weapons as well, plus Dante gets an additional 5th style as well (
Dark Slayer
).

Thing is that the nature of how these weapons are acquired is unknown. Some say there are actually unlockable weapons received only for beating Devil Hunter mode and above.

Nero gets a handful of new abilities, and his Devil Trigger mechanic is something to VERY MUCH look forward to. Would people like a video of the DT or would that be too spoilerific?

Hell I will post it anyway!

Darkpen

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
it happens to some people. They just need to reset their controller, but eh.

Are custom tracklists possible on the PS3? No, right? That's also a big reason for me to get the 360 version, because if the demo is any indication, the music is god awful.

glaurung said:
Psst, don't irritate the fanboys.

You just talked to Loudninja about fanboys. :lol

Loudninja said:
I am just saying, the game does not have online...

It isn't just about playing games online, it's about being still being integrated with your online community no matter what game you are playing.

Kyoufu

You can upgrade Nero's speed? Holy crap. How does that even work?

Movement speed or attack speed too? I always thought his attacking speed was a little on the slow side to compensate for the Exceed system. If I can boost his running speed, I will be very very happy.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
beermonkey@tehbias said:
360 version for me, so I can have access to my (larger) friends list and cross-title messaging/invites.

Of course, I'm sure nobody really wants to hear this, but at least I have both systems, unlike some people who have to tell us what they are buying. :lol

I have both systems too. And I'll have to get the ps3 version because of the controller. The dual shock 3 is excellent for this type of game.

Dahbomb said:
Just some clarification. Nero only gets one extra weapon aside from Blue Rose and Red Queen which is the
. Dante on the other hand gets a lot more weapons, I think the first German review referred 12 weapons. There are some returning weapons as well, plus Dante gets an additional 5th style as well (
Dark Slayer
).

Thing is that the nature of how these weapons are acquired is unknown. Some say there are actually unlockable weapons received only for beating Devil Hunter mode and above.

Nero gets a handful of new abilities, and his Devil Trigger mechanic is something to VERY MUCH look forward to. Would people like a video of the DT or would that be too spoilerific?

Oh please please please give me Cerberus, Agni&Rudra, Nevan, and Beowulf with Vergil's moves.

neojubei said:
I have both systems too. And I'll have to get the ps3 version because of the controller. The dual shock 3 is excellent for this type of game.

As I've posted before, everybody is going to have their own priorities and there's no right or wrong answer as to which is the best system for a given person and game.

I'm not telling other people what they should buy and nobody else should either. I can choose the 360 version and you can choose the PS3 version and we can both be 'right'.

It's a shame the PC version isn't coming out for a bit.

Dave1988

beermonkey@tehbias said:
As I've posted before, everybody is going to have their own priorities and there's no right or wrong answer as to which is the best system for a given person and game.

I'm not telling other people what they should buy and nobody else should either. I can choose the 360 version and you can choose the PS3 version and we can both be 'right'.

Wait, isn't the PC version released the same day as the PS3/360 versions?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
badcrumble said:
Oh please please please give me Cerberus, Agni&Rudra, Nevan, and Beowulf with Vergil's moves.

I'd rather have beowulf one of the coolest looking weapons of the game.

beermonkey@tehbias said:

Yup no wrong version to get. both are right choices.

neojubei said:
I'd rather have beowulf one of the coolest looking weapons of the game.
I said Beowulf. Also, Dante already has gauntlets, it's just that they're unlikely to have some of the awesome moves that Vergil had with Beowulf, instead opting for past Dante moves.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Dahbomb said:
Dark Slayer
).

Holy sweet mother of God, I watched it... WOW!

cgcg

X360

These load times amount to barely noticeable 3 or 4 second loads between areas,

PS3

the PS3 version cuts the gap down to a couple seconds. The flipside is that the PS3 requires an initial install on to the harddrive. While this is only an inconvenience at the start, it may become an issue as the PS3 harddrives become smaller (new units arrive in the 40g flavors, while the 80g models are dwindling by the day) and PS3 owner's games collections become bigger. Who wants to delete and reinstall games?

A lot of justification there for longer load time. :lol

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
beermonkey@tehbias said:
You just talked to Loudninja about fanboys. :lol

It isn't just about playing games online, it's about being still being integrated with your online community no matter what game you are playing.

Lol, I was going to say the same thing:lol Its nice being able to play any game and connected to everything else. Like Steam ^_^ In general...its just plain better:lol

Quick Question: For the 360 version of the game can you reconfigure the controls? I disliked how the lockon was put to the topr trigger in the demo which is crummy. I rather switch it with the rev button.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Oldschoolgamer said:
I can't wait to see an epic combo done like this. :lol

Can you imagine someone doing their crazy combo shit while juggling multiple enemies in the air because of the devil bringer?

my brain asplode

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Y2Kev said:
Can you imagine someone doing their crazy combo shit while juggling multiple enemies in the air because of the devil bringer?

my brain asplode

Hell yea. Someone juggling like 4+ demons in the air, switching targets constantly, while doing that rev shit on each and every one of them. Its going to be damned awesome.

Awntawn

drohne said:
a. the ps3 version's motion blur is not additional processing -- it's a computationally cheap substitute for MSAA

b. the second description of 'temporal AA' pasted in here describes the effect as it's implemented on newish ati pc graphics cards -- the ps3 version of dmc4 is just blending frames with jittered versions of preceding frames

c. my god it's difficult to establish a simple fact on gaf. i think i give up
I'm willing to believe you, I already would if aside from the AA, all other factors were even. The problem is though, they're not. The fact that the 360 version looks cleaner on my screen is visible, however the different shader effects are visible as well, as is the framerate in the cutscenes, and the tearing (ever so slight, but present).

My question, not argument, is why would they choose to sacrifice performance on the "technically superior" version to add AA and make the image more crisp if they were able to downgrade it and match the performance of the "technically inferior" version?

I'm not trying to argue, because I'm sure you're more knowledgeable on the subject than I am. I'm just wondering what the cause is for what I'm observing, because it seems wierd and doesn't make much sense. I figured someone like you could answer that for me.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Metalmurphy said:

Had it with my two Sixaxis controllers at launch, but the DS3 solved this issue. Not one drop and I've played through Uncharted and a bit of Paradise.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Awntawn said:
I'm willing to believe you, I already would if aside from the AA, all other factors were even. The problem is though, they're not. The fact that the 360 version looks cleaner on my screen is visible, however the different shader effects are visible as well, as is the framerate in the cutscenes, and the tearing (ever so slight, but present).

My question, not argument, is why would they choose to sacrifice performance on the "technically superior" version to add AA and make the image more crisp if they were able to downgrade it and match the performance of the "technically inferior" version?

I'm not trying to argue, because I'm sure you're more knowledgeable on the subject than I am. I'm just wondering what the cause is for what I'm observing, because it seems wierd and doesn't make much sense. I figured someone like you could answer that for me.

i'm hardly any kind of technical expert, but i can tell you this much: the 360 graphics card's eDRAM offsets the bandwidth cost of MSAA, making it easier to implement. it's safe to assume that capcom couldn't get the ps3 version to do MSAA at their performance target, and so went with a computationally cheaper alternative.

the AA is the biggest technical difference between the two versions -- the 360 version is doing that much more work per frame. but that doesn't mean that the 360 version has to be technically superior in absolutely every respect. it's possible that processing costs associated with MSAA account for the screen tearing and the 30fps cutscenes -- but that's just an uninformed guess. and i really have no idea why the 360 version is missing the shader on the frosts.

newsguy

I'm getting the PS3 version. I played both and the DS3 just feels right. Besides, my PS3 needs something other than blurays or it's going to forget it plays games. BTW during gameplay both games look identical. I tried to look for things but anyone saying they see a difference needs to join the armed forces as a sniper.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
newsguy said:
I'm getting the PS3 version. I played both and the DS3 just feels right. Besides, my PS3 needs something other than blurays or it's going to forget it plays games. BTW during gameplay both games look identical. I tried to look for things but anyone saying they see a difference needs to join the armed forces as a sniper.

Ah so true, so true indeed.

Top Bottom