• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Dahbomb

C- Warrior said:
Check out 1up.com week long featureo on DMC4.

they have tuesday's video up - shows Dante using Yamato. Goddamn it looks awesome.
Is that on their "Evolution of Dante video"? Checking it out right now. I don't think they are supposed to show that yet, Yamato + Dante is heavily embargoed. Some guy posted shots of it being used but it got taken off the Internet thanks to Capcom.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Dahbomb said:
Is that on their "Evolution of Dante video"? Checking it out right now. I don't think they are supposed to show that yet, Yamato + Dante is heavily embargoed. Some guy posted shots of it being used but it got taken off the Internet thanks to Capcom.

*HURRYS TO 1UP BEFORE ITS TAKEN DOWN*

Has capcom brought Nevan back btw? If so ill make sweet love to my gamedisc.

edit: Dante's DT bar seems to deplete using Moves instead of time now? When he does Stinger it seems it used the bar up way quicker, or am i going crazy?

Dahbomb said:

It seems 1up as the exclusive on pretty much damn near everything with DMC4. Including the early review.

Dahbomb

C- Warrior said:
It seems 1up as the exclusive on pretty much damn near everything with DMC4. Including the early review.
Yeah that would explain it. 1up's review is going to be the first US online review so they had the rights to the embargo.
Dante's DT bar seems to deplete using Moves instead of time now? When he does Stinger it seems it used the bar up way quicker, or am i going crazy?
Happened in DMC1 as well. Using moves that are enhanced by DT causes the DT to go down even faster. It's a balancing mechanic.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Dahbomb said:
Yeah that would explain it. 1up's review is going to be the first US online review so they had the rights to the embargo.

Happened in DMC1 as well. Using moves that are enhanced by DT causes the DT to go down even faster. It's a balancing mechanic.

Thats actually pretty cool, played dmc1 to death but forgot about that, DMC3 didnt use it right? Maybe thats why i forgot, Anyways good that its balanced, more of a challenge :)

Dahbomb

Yeah DMC3 didn't use it except for Nevan's Air Raid/Vortex.

Just saw Dante use Judgement Cut with Yamato... BAD ASS!!! Next-gen JC am here total! :D

Dave1988

2iqfq0n.gif

2qbvuvo.gif

2v34sr9.gif

It's kinda hard to see but after Dante uses Judgement Cut the Yamato disappears from his hand.

307oi1k.gif

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Dante... holy shit.

JRW

So I downloaded the demo on both consoles and noticed PS3 version has an annoying motion blur effect ... 360 version looks sharper overall as well. Anyhow the game is nice ill be picking this one up (on 360).

JRW said:
So I downloaded the demo on both consoles and noticed PS3 version has an annoying motion blur effect ... 360 version looks sharper overall as well. Anyhow the game is nice ill be picking this one up (on 360).
cool thanks im glad we could get back to this topic thumbs up to you dude

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
badcrumble said:
cool thanks im glad we could get back to this topic thumbs up to you dude

Draft

So how does real time style switching work? I can't figure where the buttons for it go.

Assuming the controller has 4 face buttons and 4 buttons on the shoulders:

Face buttons: jump, slice, shoot, special
shoulder buttons: lock on, special, switch melee, switch ranged

What buttons switch styles? Furthermore, do you still have to pick 2 styles/weapons at the golden statues or between levels, or do you have access to all of them at once?

kbear

Anyone know the length of the game? maybe a review mentioned it. I dunno if i can blow another 60 bucks on a sp only title.. unless it's quite long

Draft said:
So how does real time style switching work? I can't figure where the buttons for it go.

Assuming the controller has 4 face buttons and 4 buttons on the shoulders:

Face buttons: jump, slice, shoot, special
shoulder buttons: lock on, special, switch melee, switch ranged

What buttons switch styles? Furthermore, do you still have to pick 2 styles/weapons at the golden statues or between levels, or do you have access to all of them at once?
Other stuff has been answered - as for weapons, it seems you can actually have 3 ranged and 3 melee equipped at once (but you've no longer got a two-way rotation like Vergil had - just one switch button that you may have to tap twice to rotate to one of the three weapons).

It sounds like Dante will only have three ranged weapons, but you'll have to equip a set of three melee weapons.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
drohne said:
b. the second description of 'temporal AA' pasted in here describes the effect as it's implemented on newish ati pc graphics cards -- the ps3 version of dmc4 is just blending frames with jittered versions of preceding frames

c. my god it's difficult to establish a simple fact on gaf. i think i give up

I think that there may be some misunderstanding regarding my previous technical posts, which i thought were quite logical and simple even for the layman, but perhaps there were some ambiguities.

Some of you clearly are very interested in the effect and its more logical description rather than just relying on names and jargon which mean little, so i supplied some of my time to explain the concepts and some key ideas and what I know, which can be interesting for people interested in image quality problems and for the technologically inclined.

To the rest who are not so interested, pls skip this post.

okay,to get this straight, I will explain aliasing properly from the ground up.

Television Pixels and Jagged Edges

Television pixels are made up of squares. real life Images are not, and have a a smooth continuous representation.

Now, computers' brain (ie, the microchip) cannot imagine something continuous. To compensate, they calculate the appropriate colours only at certain points, usually at the corner of one of the squares of pixels, and the entire pixel would be lit up according to the colour at a single corner.

This has problems, because sometimes, certain objects, especially far away ones, are smaller than the size of a pixel, so you have (in the real image) colour variation across the size of the pixel, which is not captured. Hence, certain tiny details appear as jarring blocks. These are what you call aliasing.

Removing the Jagged Edge Conventionally

The usual methodology to solve this is to take more samples. What this means is that the computer will choose two different points across the pixel and calculate their colours and average them out. This outputs a colour that is the average of 2 points rather than just at a single corner, which is slightly more accurate. There wouldn't be additional detail, as the pixel is still lighted up using only one colour. But the transition from adjacent pixels would appear smoother. This, logically, is usually done at 2 opposite corners of the square pixel. This is what you would call 2x anti aliasing. 4x simply denotes that the computer would calculate at 4 corners of the square pixel instead.

As you would therefore notice, 2x anti-aliasing would mean that the computer would have to calculate the colours at 2 times more points, and 4x AA would mean 4x more points. This means a lot more information to process and store, which is why the process can be expensive. Usual AA techniques are simply slight variations of this greater principle.

Another Method - Temporal Antialiasing

now, temporal anti aliasing employs a slightly different technique. It uses the fact that our eyes tend to merge images that are 1/12 of a second apart. Contrary to popular belief, this does not imply we cannot observe increased fluidity at higher frames, it simply implies that the eyes naturally blend detail from the preceeding frame to the next, so some details are carried over. This is called visual inertia, and is the reason why we don't see out televisions as scan lines but full images.

now the whole idea of AA is to sample the colour at 2 corners of the pixel. Since at 60 frames per second, the images are only 1/60s apart which is 5 times less than 1/12 of a second, we can just calculate the colour at one corner for 1 frame, and in the very next frame, we calculate the colour at the other corner. Our eyes would mix the 2 images and and produce an average automatically as 2 different colours are flashed almost simultaneously. But this is exactly the same effect as 2xAA!! And this is exactly the same effect introduced in ATI card to improve image quality.

I am sure you have experienced this before. If you have a wheel of red, green and blue, spin it fast enough and it would look white!!!

To illustrate, look at this picture:

IMG0007769.jpg

now, this is from ATI, so they assume you would already have 2xAA minimum enabled. At 2xAA, one frame would have 2 corner's colour calculated and averaged, and in the next frame, the other 2 corner's colours would also be calculated. Combined, the effect would be similar to 4xAA. On the PS3, what they do is to skip the AA part and just calculate one corner in one frame, and the other corner in the next frame. So you get 2xAA instead of the 4xAA in the diagram above. It is that simple.

Motion and Image

Now, you all now that the effect used above works great for static scenes. What about motion? well, the idea is that in motion scenes, the colour calculated for in the previous frame would have moved to another pixel already before the next frame. This means that the colour would blend in with the colour in the new frame even though it isn't there anymore! But wait! If you consider that even if you emply standard 2xAA instead of TAA, in motion the colours in those images would ALSO have moved while the next frame is beling calculated! That means your eyes are blending together and produces 2 averages of colour instead, since the 2xAA image is already averaged out for you. But the averages usually do not differ by much even if you average again. It is hard to explain this, but the net result should be an almost imperceptible difference in the viewed image when on a television screen. In any case, the eyes cannot perceive detail well for objects in motion (you just try to catch the number plate of a ferrari). Conclusion? In motion, they would look almost the same. Which is why ATI includes it in its software - because it improves overall image quality.

What they did in DMC4

Well, the technique they used is just as i described above, and it is also the same idea for the option in ATI's videocards. One point of contention would be that for the PS3, the folks at B3D claim that the frames are actually blended (or averaged out) by the processors themselves, which is strange, and the concept above does not clearly indicate a need to do so. ATI themselves do not appear to have employed this extra step, from what I know.The net result of this is that the colours would carry over a few frames into the future. For example, in the 1st frame, lets say, yellow is calculated, in the 2nd frame, brown is calculated, and the average is yellow-brown, the 3rd frame, say green, would mix with yellow-brown and average out to green-yellow-brown, and this would carry on for a few frames. The net result of this could be a streaking effect or motion blur. This may, or may not be intentional, as streaks tend to represent speed in images. This, however, is easily avoidable simply by switching off the blending of frames.

This is from the 1up side tab in the weeklong DMC4 blowout:

"and some clever level design that wouldn't be out of place in a Zelda game,"

What? Are they just exaggerating a lot or does this game have good puzzles? I have not heard anything about that.

EDIT: Nevermind should have just read the preview first, OMG best game ever!

Tiduz

Eurogaime
kbear said:
Anyone know the length of the game? maybe a review mentioned it. I dunno if i can blow another 60 bucks on a sp only title.. unless it's quite long

15-20 hours. Not counting how many times you died :lol

ask whomever posted those screens on gfaqs if the game will do 1080i/p on ps3. this is assuming they originated from there of course (they probably didn't).

maskrider

WickedLaharl said:
ask whomever posted those screens on gfaqs if the game will do 1080i/p on ps3. this is assuming they originated from there of course (they probably didn't).

May be someone from HK posted them.

Japanese PS3 version was available on 30 Jan (GMT+8, Hong Kong time), and Asian version will be available on 31 Jan, I was too busy today, will probably get it tomorrow (I mean 31 Jan).

Tiduz

Eurogaime
WickedLaharl said:

nope, his words when asked about source of screens: Got them from Shinchuang of Bahamut.

No idea what hes talking about :lol

maskrider

Tiduz said:
nope, his words when asked about source of screens: Got them from Shinchuang of Bahamut.

No idea what hes talking about :lol

I think he means from the very popular Taiwanese forum, called Bahamut, which many people from Greater China (Taiwan, Hong Kong and China) visits there (I'm also a member there).

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
dralla said:
Dante's combat makes Nero look so tame in comparison. I want to play as Dante all the way through :[

And by the looks of it to do some crazy looking shit we are going to have to burn our hands to get the real power! Oh man that shit just looks sick!

Zzoram

Tiduz said:
15-20 hours. Not counting how many times you died :lol

This is also the type of game you replay on a higher difficulty setting after you hone your skills on your first run through.

I really want to know what sort of differences DT will add to Gunslinger/Royal Guard. Swordmaster I'm guessing will be along similar lines to how regular attacks, and no idea when it comes to regular gun attacks.

Mamesj

Banned
Why does this game have real time weapon changing in it? Real time weapon change is a thing of the past. I completely dismiss DMC's gameplay. It should be faster, more about finesse...they should do something like have a timer for each fight, one that you compete against. Maybe some dismemberments. Then it would be the perfect game.

Congrats on highlighting the spoiler box.

Draft

Do you still buy stuff with red orbs, or is all commerce done through the proud souls? That's a lot of stuff to buy.

ezekial45

Banned
Tokubetsu said:
Damn, do you know the rate? I'm guessing 1 red orb is not equivalent to 1 proud soul :lol ='(

I'm don't know the exact percentage, but i recall seeing a vid of the mission end screen. The player had acquired 4475 red orbs and he received 895 proud souls from that.

Dave1988

ezekial45 said:
I'm don't know the exact percentage, but i recall seeing a vid of the mission end screen. The player had acquired 4475 red orbs and he received 895 proud souls from that.

So five Red Orbs for one Proud Soul.

Top Bottom