• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Yeah, on the latest 1Up Show (first time seeing it) they play a clip of DMC4 in which Nero instant revs 3 bars at once. I had to see it two times to make sure :lol. But anyways, is it that hard to pull off?

Bebpo

Banned
ScissorHands said:
Yeah, on the latest 1Up Show (first time seeing it) they play a clip of DMC4 in which Nero instant revs 3 bars at once. I had to see it two times to make sure :lol. But anyways, is it that hard to pull off?

It's not impossibly hard. Just take whatever portion of the attack where you normally do IR and then cut the time window down by probably 1/6th or something. It seems more than 1 frame, but I'd guess it's under 10.

ezekial45

Banned
I got a few questions Bebpo. If you don't mind:

1. Do proud souls make purchasing things more difficult than in the previous games?
2. How did you like Pandora's Box? Was it difficult to use? Did you ever use it on bosses?
3. How does Nero use the
Yamato? Does he only use it during DT? Or can he switch to it?
4. How do you feel about not leveling your styles anymore. Is it better to have the player just buy the next level? Or did you prefer leveling it yourself.

Finally, Is LDK mode in the game?

Bebpo

Banned
ezekial45 said:
I got a few questions Bebpo. If you don't mind:

1. Do proud souls make purchasing things more difficult than in the previous games?

Well it's actually easier because you can refund what you've bought at anytime and the souls go back into the pool. But it's basically impossible to buy everything in 1 run or more because the higher stuff is ridiculously expensive after inflation from buying other things. Plus you can't farm.

My main dislike about the system is there is little reward for getting high combo ranks each battle. In the old ones you did it because you wanted more orbs as a reward and then you could use them and buy more moves. Now it just helps your overall grade at the end of a level which gives you more proud souls.

2. How did you like Pandora's Box? Was it difficult to use? Did you ever use it on bosses?

It's awesome. It's probably my favorite gun outside the standard pistol/shotgun in a DMC game. I did use it on bosses and it's great in Bloody Palace in those small rooms with the final attack.

3. How does Nero use the
Yamato? Does he only use it during DT? Or can he switch to it?

Really just a plot point and not that much related to gameplay. The DT does use it and you can buy two DT charge moves, but it's mainly a graphical effect going on while you're attacking and not like the real thing.

4. How do you feel about not leveling your styles anymore. Is it better to have the player just buy the next level? Or did you prefer leveling it yourself.

There's just no time for it in Dante's game. He jumps straight into the action and you blow through his levels real quick and its just boss after another. I thought it was fine for the situation. I didn't even bother going with level 3s, since I didn't have enough proud souls. I just did lvl.2 trickster/gunslinger/sword and it still gave a good amount of stuff to work with (I'm not a royal guard player).

Finally, Is LDK mode in the game?

I dunno, I just unlocked the next difficulty, art galleries, bloody palace.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Bebpo said:
Perfect IR just means it'll rev up to 3 bars.

Exceed lvl.2 means you can actually do lvl.2 versions of attacks when you have 3 bars instead of two lvl.1 attacks. Lvl.3 is lvl.3 versions for 3 bars.

And yeah, you can IR during DT and it adds the flame and stuff.

Can you adjust the brightness and contrast in the final game?

Kyoufu

Bebpo, does Dante's Dark Slayer style include everything from Vergil in DMC3SE? I'm talking about Summon Swords (and all of it's moves, the Yamato (and all of it's moves).

As a huge Vergil fan/player, am I going to love DS in this or does it pale in comparison to being able to use the regular 4 styles at the same time? I know that with DS you can practically use 4 weapons at once, right?

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Bebpo said:
nope. Just gotta adjust it from your tv side.

I asked because the PS3 demo is far too dark for viewing -- and if I turn up the brightness on my TV, all of my other games start to look washed-out...

eh.

Bebpo

Banned
Kyoufu said:
Bebpo, does Dante's Dark Slayer style include everything from Vergil in DMC3SE? I'm talking about Summon Swords (and all of it's moves, the Yamato (and all of it's moves).

As a huge Vergil fan/player, am I going to love DS in this or does it pale in comparison to being able to use the regular 4 styles at the same time? I know that with DS you can practically use 4 weapons at once, right?

No. It has like 3 moves :\

Still better than nothing though!

Defuser

Kyoufu said:

No summon swords. Consist of Vergil's combo 1 attack and his aerial attack. But he has 2 new style attacks which consist of him creating a large space with sword cutlines that dish out damage a second later.

Kyoufu

Defuser said:
No summon swords. Consist of Vergil's combo 1 attack and his aerial attack. But he has 2 new style attacks which consist of him creating a large space with sword cutlines that dish out damage a second later.

Yuck :(

Sounds terrible. Bring back Vergil :( :(

I am so sick of looking at this:
15yavti.gif

dolemite

dirtmonkey37 said:
I asked because the PS3 demo is far too dark for viewing -- and if I turn up the brightness on my TV, all of my other games start to look washed-out...

eh.
I had the exact same issues when playing through Component cables. Then I switch to HDMI and "blamo", the darkness gone away and everything looks soooo much better/clearer/brighter.

Defuser

So after completing Devil Hunter mode, I decided to try Human mode and damn....it's way too easy!!!!One buster destroys an enemy......somebody must be really a weaksauce to even play human mode.

Wesker

Some story question for Bebpo:
- Is there a connection between Dante and Nero?
Why they look so similar?

- Nelo Angelo is in the game? References to him?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
C- Warrior said:
After the 7.0 he gave to DMC3, thank god.

But too bad he didn't do the review on EGM that was used on 1up.com as well.

Nobody will know that he awoke to the reality of the awesomeness that is DMC.

He gave DMC3 a 7.0 is he insane?

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Kyoufu said:
Here is some Bloody Palace gameplay as Nero. The ending is pretty funny lol

http://www.stage6.com/user/denosi2007/video/2167571/[dmc4]-Nero-simple-combo
I did not see that ending coming :lol intentional or not it was damn awesome.

Kyoufu said:
And heres some Dante. Dark Slayer is pretty underwhelming :/

http://www.stage6.com/user/denosi2007/video/2167820/[dmc4]-dante-combo
Yes it most certainly is. However every thing else was ACE! Dante's move set is fucking awesome.

I'm quite impressed by how aggressive the enemies are in bloody palace. Very impressed.

maskrider

Anybody finds the secret mission 03 really frustrating ? I really hate that mission. Raise your style without using attacks, who the hell created this fucking mission !

gconsole

Wesker said:
Some story question for Bebpo:
- Is there a connection between Dante and Nero?
Why they look so similar?

- Nelo Angelo is in the game? References to him?

- There is no explaination about Nero origin. Only one thing we know is that he is the demon. I guess Capcom want to keep this for DMC5 or anything in the future.

- There is no Nelo Angelo or Vergil. Not even a single reference.

Kyoufu

gconsole said:
- There is no explaination about Nero origin. Only one thing we know is that he is the demon. I guess Capcom want to keep this for DMC5 or anything in the future.

Nero IS Nelo Angelo. Kinda.

USD

gconsole said:

What? That's bullshit. The only story element that I would care about, and one you'd think they'd mention is totally left out. Ass.

gconsole

Kyoufu said:
Nero IS Nelo Angelo. Kinda.

Where did you get that ? I really really hope the game explain something about Nero but there is none. The closest thing to Nelo Angelo is the angel armor who has the name something follow by angelo.

USD said:
What? That's bullshit. The only story element that I would care about, and one you'd think they'd mention is totally left out. Ass.

Yeah, that's suck. DMC4 is only to introduce the new main character without clear explaination about him. Fortunately the game itself is good and fun enough to make me forget about the story for a period.

Kyoufu

gconsole said:
Where did you get that ? I really really hope the game explain something about Nero but there is none. The closest thing to Nelo Angelo is the angel armor who has the name something follow by angelo.

spoilers if you havent played the game, dont read...

The story doesn't give any background info on Nero's origins, so I'm just going by what we're given. The Order created the "Angelo" demons using Nelo Angelo's soul. Nero is part of those Angelo demons, and just happens to have the same name as Nelo Angelo (Nero Angelo is the correct translation). It doesn't explain how he has the blood of Sparda though. Capcom fails.

gconsole

Kyoufu said:
spoilers if you havent played the game, dont read...

The story doesn't give any background info on Nero's origins, so I'm just going by what we're given. The Order created the "Angelo" demons using Nelo Angelo's soul. Nero is part of those Angelo demons, and just happens to have the same name as Nelo Angelo (Nero Angelo is the correct translation). It doesn't explain how he has the blood of Sparda though. Capcom fails.

Hmm, your reason make sense. I hope Capcom do it on purpose and will let us know more in the future.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Damn Bebpo, thanks a lot for the review. I'm more pumped than ever. This is how you do it, GAF.

Bebpo

Banned
Kyoufu said:
Here is some Bloody Palace gameplay as Nero. The ending is pretty funny lol

http://www.stage6.com/user/denosi2007/video/2167571/[dmc4]-Nero-simple-combo

And heres some Dante. Dark Slayer is pretty underwhelming :/

http://www.stage6.com/user/denosi2007/video/2167820/[dmc4]-dante-combo

Hmm, yeah the one problem with BP being timed is that I'm not entirely sure the enemies have been balanced for both characters. The shadow cape guys go down FAST with Nero, but Dante has no trick to take them out super fast that I've found yet, and like the poster in thel last page said, the eletric lizard guys are more built around Dante's guns and not really made for Nero.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
If I only could move the Rev-bar to another place (just under Nero would be awesome) :(...

Bebpo

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Bebpo, rank Devil Hunter difficulty up against the standard difficulty for DMC3SE.

If DMC3SE on normal is a 10, and on easy is a 1
Nero's game = 5, boss fights = 8
Dante's game = 5, boss fights = 1

Mamesj

Banned
Bebpo said:
If DMC3SE on normal is a 10, and on easy is a 1
Nero's game = 5, boss fights = 8
Dante's game = 5, boss fights = 1

so if you play action games a lot, normal mode will be a breeze...sucks you have to unlock difficulties. That's one thing about DMC and NG that I hate-- I wish I could jump right to the harder modes.

about how many hours is it?

Bebpo

Banned
Mamesj said:
so if you play action games a lot, normal mode will be a breeze...sucks you have to unlock difficulties. That's one thing about DMC and NG that I hate-- I wish I could jump right to the harder modes.

about how many hours is it?

Took me 10 and that was getting an S-rank on time in most stages, though I got lost on a few and got C-rank on time.

A few people said 16 hours. That does seem quite a big difference considering it's a linear game of 20 missions and the A/S-ranking for each is like 20 mins or less.

tetsuoxb

Bebpo said:
Took me 10 and that was getting an S-rank on time in most stages, though I got lost on a few and got C-rank on time.

A few people said 16 hours. That does seem quite a big difference considering it's a linear game of 20 missions and the A/S-ranking for each is like 20 mins or less.

I've had about 10 friend beat it so far. All have fallen in the 9-11 hour range.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
maskrider said:
Full width version of the Two Heroes picture in art gallery (2560x720, click thumbnail to view)

Thanks! Im gonna try and make a wallpaper out of it for myself, really awesome stuff thanks :D

ElyrionX

Y2Kev said:
Er, I meant, how hard is DMC4 on devil hunter vs. DMC3SE on standard difficulty.

DMC4 on Devil Hunter is definitely easier than DMC3 on Normal. Apart from the fact that the enemies are less aggressive, the game tends to hit you with a good amount of green orbs as well.

Bebpo

Banned
ElyrionX said:
DMC4 on Devil Hunter is definitely easier than DMC3 on Normal. Apart from the fact that the enemies are less aggressive, the game tends to hit you with a good amount of green orbs as well.

I don't think it's actually an aggressive thing. In DMC3 I don't remember the normal enemies being all that aggressive and in DMC4 half the enemies aren't, but half like the knights are.

The main difference IMO is the damage scaling. You can take A LOT of hits in DMC4. I don't remember being able to do that in DMC3. Plus like you said there are green orbs a plenty. Also the boss patterns are slower with bigger room and timing windows to avoid the attacks. The hardest fight is probably
Nero v. Dante
because it's the one fight where there aren't these giant signaled slow attacks and you really have to be quick on your feet like the DMC3 Dante/Vergil fights.

ElyrionX

Oh, and something I want to bitch about is the way the proud soul system works. You get a certain amount of proud souls at the end of every mission depending on how well you do during the mission. However, it's just frustrating because the first time you're going through the mission, you tend to do poorly on the amount of time you took to complete it because the puzzles and paths you're supposed to take just aren't intuitive at all. It's a lot of trial and error because the game does a poor job of telling you where to go next. That totally kills your ranking at the end of the mission and you get less proud souls because of that.

Kingpen

Can anyone that has beat it confirm if after you beat it you can go back and play through the story levels with Dante? I know people had confirmed a screen, but no one actually had got it to function as it seemed.

Thanks

Bebpo

Banned
Kingpen said:
Can anyone that has beat it confirm if after you beat it you can go back and play through the story levels with Dante? I know people had confirmed a screen, but no one actually had got it to function as it seemed.

Thanks

You can't.

Dante essentially plays through the same levels in his side anyhow, but they are changed somewhat and you can't go through the normal versions with him.

ElyrionX

Bebpo said:
You can't.

Dante essentially plays through the same levels in his side anyhow, but they are changed somewhat and you can't go through the normal versions with him.

That's news to me.

Something else I need to know. Does Dante and Nero share red, blue and DT orbs? For example, I've already bought three blue orbs for Nero and expanded his health bar. If my the game switches to Dante, will Dante have the expanded healthb as well? Or do I have to refarm red orbs and repurchase everything again for him?

Lightning

Banned
Can you boost your stats by replaying normal mode before going onto the next difficulty level and have carry pn stats? This is after completing the game for the first time.

And how are the PS3 versions load times?

Mugen

Banned
Lightning said:
Can you boost your stats by replaying normal mode before going onto the next difficulty level and have carry pn stats? This is after completing the game for the first time.

And how are the PS3 versions load times?

Yes you can replay normal all you want like a wuss so you can buy all special moves. There are no stats. You only get new or upgraded moves and they carry over to any difficulty. Load times are lightning quick on PS3.

Top Bottom