• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
brandonh83 said:
I like the 360 analog sticks for FPS. That's about it. I think the PS3 analog sticks are far superior for action/adventure titles.
This is correct.

And what's going on with C-Warrior?

karasu

Himuro said:
DMC3 is piss easy enemy and boss wise. When I fought Beowulf the first time, I didn't get HIT. I just parried all of his attacks. Once I got to Beowulf, most bosses I beat the first time I fought them, and on top of that, I didn't get hit ONCE.

NowI just don't believe you.

Artie

So does anybody know if February 5th is the ship or release date?

I don't want to walk into the store on Tuesday and them not have it :lol

LowParry

Vyse The Legend said:
Well, the bitch fest started because people were saying that Nero makes the game feel a lot like DMC1, which saddened many people and caused others to bash DMC3. So, your love for DMC4 will depend on whether or not you are a DMC1 guy or a DMC3 guy.

Is it safe to say that I liked all three games? Sure 2 was a shame but still, it's DMC :D Can't say much for the anime though. What a let down.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Artie said:
So does anybody know if February 5th is the ship or release date?

I don't want to walk into the store on Tuesday and them not have it :lol
Just call'em :)

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Incase anyone does not know. Gamestop and EBgames are giving out the artbooks to those that pre-ordered now. So quanities as they say are limited.

CcrooK said:
I believe it's shipped.

I hope not.

Yoshichan

I can't wait anymore! 5 more days and I'll be bragging about my DMC4 t-shirt. Fuck the haters.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Himuro said:
DMC3 is piss easy enemy and boss wise. When I fought Beowulf the first time, I didn't get HIT. I just parried all of his attacks. Once I got to Beowulf, most bosses I beat the first time I fought them, and on top of that, I didn't get hit ONCE.

i doubt that

yea i know, your words, my words, but i dont believe it

Tiduz

Eurogaime
I beat it with my NES Joypad, SSSB (Super Secret Stylish Badass) rank, With one hand, while playing guitar with my feet.

True story.

Clevinger

Tiduz said:
I beat it with my NES Joypad, SSSB (Super Secret Stylish Badass) rank, With one hand, while playing guitar with my feet.

True story.

Amateurs...

I beat it on DMD mode using the controller with nothing but my erect penis.

Yoshichan

neojubei said:
What t-shirt?
The first 600 people who pre-order the game at my video game store (Game in Sweden) gets a DMC4 t-shirt for free. I'll be taking pics of it when I get it.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Seiken said:
The first 600 people who pre-order the game at my video game store (Game in Sweden) gets a DMC4 t-shirt for free. I'll be taking pics of it when I get it.
I want a poster and a Tshirt...I LOVE DANTE *Cries*

hteng

Banned
damn those lightning lizards, i'm having trouble killing them with nero (especially in bloody palace), his gun sucks and thats the only way to break that annoying electric barrier, anyone has a better solution? I've playing son of sparda and they friggin comes out as early as mission 3.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
hteng said:
damn those lightning lizards, i'm having trouble killing them with nero (especially in bloody palace), his gun sucks and thats the only way to break that annoying electric barrier, anyone has a better solution? I've playing son of sparda and they friggin comes out as early as mission 3.

STOP PLAYING THE GAME

IM IN NOTH AMERICA :(

Dahbomb

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol @ C-Warrior.

He is REALLY pulling shit out of his ass to defend DMC4 now, not that the game really needs defending but the statements coming out of C-Warrior concerning DMC3 are just RIDICULOUS. Had he just talked about the enemies it would've been fine but he went on to diss the weapons. Um... let's see just about everyone who has gotten SS ranks on DMC3 at DMD mode says that every weapon/style aside from Doppelganger has full merit in the game in a particular combat situation.

Nevan - I can't believe someone who is a supposed DMC fan who knows his shit would diss Nevan. Nevan is almost essential for DMD play. It can be used as a shield against Enigmas to get instant SSS plus the Reverb Shock acts like a shield + juggle launcher. The Jam Session also is amazing crowd control as is Feedback/Crazy Roll WITH amazing Style points. The giant Scythe attack off of Swordmaster rapes Cerberus and Leviathan, or most big sized boss fights. Nevan on Swordmaster also brutally murders Geryon with both the Scythe attack and Crazy roll in between his carriage and rump. Nevan is also the ONLY weapon that can petrify Bloodgoyles. Sure it is a very unorthodox weapon but so is something like Lucifer in DMC4. It doesn't make them any less useful.

Artemis - Anything outside Gunslinger, admittedly its useless. On Gunslinger, again it becomes ESSENTIAL. In fact when I do my GS runs I always have my Artemis in handy. Against Vergil it is the only weapon that can do massive damage to Vergil while he is in his recovery phase (charge the Multilock during the combo and when he staggers, release Multilock). Multilock also does SOLID damage to most bosses AND is bufferable with every command. You can use it as combos as well and its high power output makes it a very good option in DMD mode. Against Hell Vanguard it is rapa-ton. The list goes on and on, Artemis' damage out put on GS with the Multilock move is absurd.

Spiral - Spiral is the weapon of choice that comes right after Kalina Ann most of the time in terms of the secondary weapon for E&I. It has the best range in the game as compared to Kalina Ann which has a poor range. Spiral on GS isn't too hot, but with every other style it works very well. It knocks back enemies and allows for safe damage PLUS style gain from a far. Quickly cancelling from E&I to Spiral will do safe far damage. I am personally not a big fan of Spiral because with it some CHEESY tactics can be performed against some bosses (Beowulf and Cerberus come to mind) but equipped with RG, you can RG cancel + Spiral shoot some bosses to death! Spiral also makes short work of the shitty enemies in DMC3, like Bloodgoyles, Enigma, Soul Eaters and is very effective against Fallens as well.

Dahbomb

Sorry for DP, internet messed up.

Oh and back to DMC4: IF you are a fan of action games, then DMC4 is your game. Stop with this "if you like DMC3 then you might like DMC4 or vice versa with DMC1". The game is great, play it.

Interestingly, the weapons and DT mechanics in DMC1 were in ways a lot better than DMC3's because they melded well with the various enemy types better.
DT mechanics were better in DMC1 and so were the enemies, but DMC3 weapons were not superfluous. If anything, I would say that DMC1's weapons list was on the weak side where you basically had 2 Devil arms and 3 Firearms (Nightmare Beta was vanilla weapon at best). DMC3 had OTF weapon switch plus it gave you the options of Styles to amplify your movelist. It is not even up for debate because this was settled when the first DMC3 demo hit the players hand... DMC3 beats out DMC1 in terms of raw combat, combos and weapon set ups by a mile. Now as far as enemy interaction/combat is concerned, DMC3 is on the low side but it balances it with a lot of really solid boss fights. In DMC1 you had 4 bosses that you fight 3 times each and that still resulted in less boss fights than DMC3 had.

And to this day, still is the benchmark of overall depth, atmosphere, challenge, and style in an action game.
:D
Maybe the benchmark of Atmosphere but DMC3 has it beat in everything else.

But the bottom line is -- if game A has 10 weapons (but 5 are useless) and game B has 5 weapons (but all 5 have a good ways of depth) -- then, you necessarily can't fault game B without playing it yourself. This isn't a numbers game, at which game has more or less. It's what becomes more applicable to the style of game and the enemies and bosses given.
That's a fine debate, now let's relate it to DMC4.

We have Nero and Dante.

Dante has 4 Devil arms, 5 Styles and 3 Firearms, one of which can transform into 7 more firearms. All of these options available at one time on your finger tips. Now Dante's DT has been enhanced as well, making every move have very different properties with DT moves to boot.

Nero has one melee arm, one Firearm and one grapple mechanic built in. His melee weapon has the ability to perform Just frame like mechanics with Exceed (similar to Dante's RG). His Devil Trigger enhances Nero by giving him Doppelganger like mechanics WITH different moves. His DT has a different devil arm and a different firearm (his DT throws curved blades at enemies when you tap []).

Obviously the numbers favor Dante, but how can we say for sure that Nero will have more depth than Dante? People who have played the game don't seem to say otherwise either.

hteng said:

Excellent!

It's good to know enemy placements change on harder difficulty settings. That's one of the things I liked about DMC1 (in regards to the Shadows in the hallway).

Try using charged shot?

Dahbomb said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol @ C-Warrior.

Nevan - I can't believe someone who is a supposed DMC fan who knows his shit would diss Nevan. Nevan is almost essential for DMD play. It can be used as a shield against Enigmas to get instant SSS plus the Reverb Shock acts like a shield + juggle launcher. The Jam Session also is amazing crowd control as is Feedback/Crazy Roll WITH amazing Style points. The giant Scythe attack off of Swordmaster rapes Cerberus and Leviathan, or most big sized boss fights. Nevan on Swordmaster also brutally murders Geryon with both the Scythe attack and Crazy roll in between his carriage and rump. Nevan is also the ONLY weapon that can petrify Bloodgoyles. Sure it is a very unorthodox weapon but so is something like Lucifer in DMC4. It doesn't make them any less useful.

Artemis - Anything outside Gunslinger, admittedly its useless. On Gunslinger, again it becomes ESSENTIAL. In fact when I do my GS runs I always have my Artemis in handy. Against Vergil it is the only weapon that can do massive damage to Vergil while he is in his recovery phase (charge the Multilock during the combo and when he staggers, release Multilock). Multilock also does SOLID damage to most bosses AND is bufferable with every command. You can use it as combos as well and its high power output makes it a very good option in DMD mode. Against Hell Vanguard it is rapa-ton. The list goes on and on, Artemis' damage out put on GS with the Multilock move is absurd.

Spiral - Spiral is the weapon of choice that comes right after Kalina Ann most of the time in terms of the secondary weapon for E&I. It has the best range in the game as compared to Kalina Ann which has a poor range. Spiral on GS isn't too hot, but with every other style it works very well. It knocks back enemies and allows for safe damage PLUS style gain from a far. Quickly cancelling from E&I to Spiral will do safe far damage. I am personally not a big fan of Spiral because with it some CHEESY tactics can be performed against some bosses (Beowulf and Cerberus come to mind) but equipped with RG, you can RG cancel + Spiral shoot some bosses to death! Spiral also makes short work of the shitty enemies in DMC3, like Bloodgoyles, Enigma, Soul Eaters and is very effective against Fallens as well.

Nevan is useless. Get over it Dahbomb. So is Spiral. And so is Artemis.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
C- Warrior said:
Nevan is useless. Get over it Dahbomb. So is Spiral. And so is Artemis.

You need to watch this NicoNico video then. DMD-difficulty, no upgrades and no Style level-ups; this player uses Nevan & Beowulf along with Quicksilver to finish off Vergil 3.

Tell us how Nevan is useless after that.

Dahbomb said:
Milkman vindicated.

After the 7.0 he gave to DMC3, thank god.

But too bad he didn't do the review on EGM that was used on 1up.com as well.

Nobody will know that he awoke to the reality of the awesomeness that is DMC.

Bebpo

Banned
Alright, finished it on Devil Hunter. Took me a little over 10 hours. I finished the first half of the game (which meant I'd covered all the locations/screens) in ~6 hours; so it's roughly the size of Lost Planet but with 2 runs. In today's high development cost environment I guess this is what is the norm. Will be interesting to see if RE5 is actually 12-15 hours of original content, or my guess is that it'll be an 8-10 hour game with a ton of RE backtracking to make it 15-20.

Lemme see:

Graphics: Sometimes the game looks INSANELY GOOD (aka, certain cutscenes) to the point where I had to check to make sure it wasn't FMV. Other times the game looks fucking terrible (Nero's run through the forest; the contrast is all washed out and is HDR lighting gone wrong so instead it's like no lighting and just the horror the horror; plus it's the only part of the game where you get framedrops from 60fps -> something lower). Most of the times it looks passable. The enemy models and character models are excellent, but the environments have their ups and downs with a good amount of ugly and a few rooms of gorgeous. 60fps is essential and for 95% of the game they pull it off, so I'm happy. In the end I don't play action games for their visuals so whatever. 7.5/10.

Sound: Uhh, it's DMC. The only thing I'll mention is that in the cutscenes the voices seem mixed pretty low and music/se adjustment doesn't effect it >_<

Story: I don't get what all the pre-release spoiler lolz was about. I didn't notice any plot twists or anything in the game that would put people up in arms. It's a typical stupid action game story. Nothing better, nothing worse. It doesn't have the cool cast of DMC3, but it's not horrible like Lost Planet. All the cutscenes in Dante's side were awesome and worth watching. A few of the Nero ones were good, most of the Nero ones were lame because Nero is lame anime emo boy.

Gameplay
Playing as Nero is awesome. While the first few levels SUCK because you have no moves and no money, once you start getting the normal moves he definitely feels like the advancement of the base DMC combat. The instant revving is the best feature in the game and makes fighting with Nero always fun. The timing is really loose on IR so that even folk like me who can't pull of 1 frame Guilty Gear stuff or Akira's 1 frame knee in VF can pull off IR 90% of the attacks. For that small group of super hardcore who looove the 1 frame, the game has a seperate small window IR that boosts your rev to 3 bars instead of just one. The combo videos of great players pulling off a 3 bar IR every attack and doing non-stop lvl.3 flame attacks should be enjoyable. The devil bringer is really good, though maybe it's slightly overpowered as seen in the demo boss fight with Berial. Basically instead of having to jump over certain boss attacks you can just grab the boss. But most bosses have a move to swat you out of their face if you keep hanging on.

As has been said many times in the thread, Nero's weakpoint is just that he gets no weapons at all the entire game and his move upgrades are basically just lvl.2 versions of attacks seen in the demo with a few more combos and seperate attacks. It's a bit of a shame, but the enemies and bosses are built around Nero's abilities and each enemy/boss will require players to make good use of the arm/IR to find the enemy weakness and take them out quick.

Dante is pretty awesome but not balanced in the slightest. During your few hours with Dante you will decimate every enemy and boss in 1/5th the time Nero can (outside of 1 enemy type which seems to be a pain for Dante). This is mainly due to Gilgamesh + DT = ungodly damage. But the rest of his weapons are really good as well. All the weapons in the game that Dante gets are useful and fun. The real-time style changing is great as well.

Bosses are fantastic. All of them are pretty much DMC quality and much better than pretty much every other action game in the industry. The patterns are slightly easier than DMC3, but, you'll still die once or two or three times to get all the patterns down, and then once you have them all down you can beat the boss with SSS ranks without getting hit if you're in the zone. The boss count is a little low, but considering the quality of the bosses and the lack of good action games in general these days, I'm happy with what we got.

Stages are average to bad. Some parts are confusing and some people will find themselves backtracking the wrong way because they're lost, other times the camera angles suck, and then the dice game at the end is a far worse version of the hall of mirrors from DMC3. There is a lot of running across the environment to the next area and you don't even get run as a default (which is a slow run even when you get it) and when you do get it it takes a few seconds to kick in. Obviously they did the few second bit so you couldn't just burst out a run on a boss and avoid all their attacks with ease, but honestly I think the best solution would have been to just make a smaller scale in terms of environments so you don't have to run these long screens. The generally weak stage design is one reason I think a lot of players will stick to bloody palace after they finish the game instead of replays of the main game.

Replay value is good since the core combat of Nero & Dante is excellent. I wish there was a pure boss rush mode (like using stage select in DMC3 to the boss rush stage; the one in DMC4 won't work as well) since the boss fights are the highlight of the game and combat. Bloody Palace should keep most people busy and occasional replays of the main game on higher difficulties are there for those that want to do it again.

Overall: The game plays very, very good and the action is always satisfying. When you play as Nero you'll want to play as Dante after a while since Nero is a terrible character storywise, but then when playing as Dante at first you'll feel the pains of not being Nero and not having IR/DB since Nero is a great character gameplay-wise. But then you'll start really enjoying Dante who is an awesome character both story and gameplay-wise. Both characters play very differently and have different approaches to each enemy type/boss. The ultimate game would obviously be a merging of the two characters gameplay-wise into an ultimate Dante and just play as him the whole time.

Unfortunately despite how good the combat is and how fun the game is when you are in the fight, the game is loaded with flaws and bad design decisions. These don't make the game bad and don't take away that feeling of fun you'll have when you play each level, but they do bring the excellence down a bit and make you think on how amazing the game could've been with a few changes here and there.

On a scale where DMC1 is a 9/10, DMC2 is a 6/10, DMC3 is a 10/10, DMC4 is an 8.9/10 to me.

Bebpo

Banned
Dahbomb said:
What about Nero's DT?

It's alright, though faaaaar less powerful than Dante's DT. It doesn't really change up his gameplay enough to count it as a new weapon IMO. Just good for certain spots when you need it. I didn't mess around with it a ton though.

I really wish Nero could have at least used
Yamato has a normal sword with the DMC3:SE movelist. Would've given Nero just the amount of variety he needs for the game length
. It's also interesting that R2 does nothing for Nero. I do wonder if they'll do an SE and give him some swords.

Kyoufu

Bebpo said:
Gameplay
Playing as Nero is awesome. While the first few levels SUCK because you have no moves and no money, once you start getting the normal moves he definitely feels like the advancement of the base DMC combat. The instant revving is the best feature in the game and makes fighting with Nero always fun. The timing is really loose on IR so that even folk like me who can't pull of 1 frame Guilty Gear stuff or Akira's 1 frame knee in VF can pull off IR 90% of the attacks. For that small group of super hardcore who looove the 1 frame, the game has a seperate small window IR that boosts your rev to 3 bars instead of just one. The combo videos of great players pulling off a 3 bar IR every attack and doing non-stop lvl.3 flame attacks should be enjoyable. The devil bringer is really good, though maybe it's slightly overpowered as seen in the demo boss fight with Berial. Basically instead of having to jump over certain boss attacks you can just grab the boss. But most bosses have a move to swat you out of their face if you keep hanging on.

Oh my god, are you serious? Thats fucking awesome! Comparing it to the regular 1 bar rev timings on the demo, how difficult is it to pull off?

Bebpo

Banned
Kyoufu said:
Oh my god, are you serious? Thats fucking awesome! Comparing it to the regular 1 bar rev timings on the demo, how difficult is it to pull off?

I if I stand still and just do a normal swing I can do standard IR 100% of the time. If I try for the super IR I can do it about 1/5 or maybe 1/10 times. Pulling it off mid-combo in the heat of battle?

...hahahahaha

I'll leave that for the expert players :p

hteng

Banned
Kyoufu said:

depends on your luck/timing, i pull off perfect revs like 1/3 of the time, treat it like a bonus. Its very entertaining when you blow some poor scarecrow off the ceiling with a level3 high time.

sometimes the long combos might back fire as the enemies that don't stagger can counter it easily while you are performing it.

Kyoufu

Bebpo said:
I if I stand still and just do a normal swing I can do standard IR 100% of the time. If I try for the super IR I can do it about 1/5 or maybe 1/10 times. Pulling it off mid-combo in the heat of battle?

...hahahahaha

I'll leave that for the expert players :p

Well I could never pull off that 1 frame bullshit in VF5 with Akira either so I'm probably going to fail at this too :(

But I'm glad you can do this. Tell me, if you fail to get the 3 lights, is there a guarantee that you'll get the 1 instead? If both timings are close enough that is.

Also have you changed the controls at all? I'm wondering if Rev (L2) would be better suited to the L1 button.

Bebpo

Banned
Note it's also REALLY costly to buy:

--Perfect IR
--Exceed lvl.2, Exceed lvl.3

Towards the end and on replays you'll be able to mess around with it, but don't expect to be pulling off lvl.3 moves much in the first run. You can buy all that probably by 1/2 through the game or earlier but then you have no money for moves, which are kinda more important :p

Kyoufu said:
Well I could never pull off that 1 frame bullshit in VF5 with Akira either so I'm probably going to fail at this too :(

But I'm glad you can do this. Tell me, if you fail to get the 3 lights, is there a guarantee that you'll get the 1 instead? If both timings are close enough that is.

Also have you changed the controls at all? I'm wondering if Rev (L2) would be better suited to the L1 button.

Yeah, if you fail you just get 1 light so no big deal. And no, I didn't change the controls. With normal IR I do perfectly fine with L2.

Kyoufu

Bebpo said:
Yeah, if you fail you just get 1 light so no big deal. And no, I didn't change the controls. With normal IR I do perfectly fine with L2.

Cool, thanks. Should make the practicing less frustrating knowing you atleast got 1 light.

What is the difference between Perfect IR and the Exceed Level 2/3?

And can you use IR during DT with the new attacks?

Bebpo

Banned
Kyoufu said:
Cool, thanks. Should make the practicing less frustrating knowing you atleast got 1 light.

What is the difference between Perfect IR and the Exceed Level 2/3?

And can you use IR during DT with the new attacks?

Perfect IR just means it'll rev up to 3 bars.

Exceed lvl.2 means you can actually do lvl.2 versions of attacks when you have 3 bars instead of two lvl.1 attacks. Lvl.3 is lvl.3 versions for 3 bars.

And yeah, you can IR during DT and it adds the flame and stuff.

Top Bottom