• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Kyoufu

Himuro said:
I just don't understand why Capcom opted to replace the main character who's apart of the series identity. It's not like Raiden or Zero replacing their respective leads, no, they mostly play the same.

But this...

this is retarded.

Just wait til the plot kicks in and THEN YOU'LL BE ASKING QUESTIONS LOL

Mrbob said:
Poor C Warrior is getting gang banged.

Perhaps we should get back to talking about DMC4. Just a couple more days!

Why? Just because I'm saying more useless weapons is the same thing has not having them at all?

Or that I feel DMC1 was a better game than DMC3?

DantesWrath said:
And you call yourself a DMC fan :|

Again? Why.

Just because Nevan, Sniper thingy, and Artemis was useless?

DMC3 had tons of weapons sure, but only about 70% of them had any purpose. The other ones were either too niche for most gamers.

Himuro said:
Agni/Rudra, Ebony/Ivory, and Beowulf are really the only weapons you need in DMC3. I found most of the weapons not suitable to my style at all.

Thank you.

LowParry

C- Warrior said:
Why? Just because I'm saying more useless weapons is the same thing has not having them at all?

Or that I feel DMC1 was a better game than DMC3?

The same thing can be said about NG. Useless weapons all around. Either way it's there. How you want to play is the big question. It's your style of play. Your choice on what to use. Options = better.

CcrooK said:
The same thing can be said about NG. Useless weapons all around. Either way it's there. How you want to play is the big question. It's your style of play. Your choice on what to use. Options = better.

No, I disagree.

One of the reasons I've grown to hate the RPG genre is due to their over-dependance on options. Equip this, equip that, alter this, alter that, sphere board this, license board that, hex -frame this and that...YET THE GAME IS STUPIDLY easy. One of the thigns that bothered me in Mass Effect is all that micro-managing bullshit.

Give me one up weapon, give me one combo, but just give me fun, varied, interesting bosses and enemies. Like Castlevania Symphony of the Night. A game which had tremendously enjoyable combat.

Not only did DMC3 have useless weapons, but it also had useless enemies. Those Dhallahans or whatever they were called, Gigapede, Leviathan, Doppleganger, etc.

Now, DMC3 was easily the 2nd best action game of last generation (only losing out to DMC1) but you have to admit, some of the shit in DMC3 wasn't necessary.

All the pointless things in DMC3:

Artemis
Nevan (fuck you, I still say Nevan)
Kalina Ann
Sniper
Soul Eaters
Leviathan
Gigapede
Doppleganger
Dullahans
Hell Gluttony (the ones that puke, whatever they are called)
Hell Coffins (the ones that had coffins and spawned enemies)

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
What is going wrong with this thread? Why is everyone attacking C-warrior? He is a DMC fan like everyone else here.

Himuro said:
Agni/Rudra, Ebony/Ivory, and Beowulf are really the only weapons you need in DMC3. I found most of the weapons not suitable to my style at all.

ME 2.

neojubei said:
What is going wrong with this thread? Why is everyone attacking C-warrior? He is a DMC fan like everyone else here.

ME 2.

People have this misconception that more weapons is better than fewer yet more purposeful weapons.

That, and they can't admit to the fact that Nevan and many other weapons in DMC3 were pointless.

C- Warrior said:
People have this misconception that more weapons is better than fewer yet more purposeful weapons.

That, and they can't admit to the fact that Nevan and many other weapons in DMC3 were pointless.

I dunno man, killing undead with a guitar is never pointless.

It is however, stupidly awesome.

Different weapons are more favorable in certain situations. If you played around with them you'd have seen that, but instead you chose to brute force your way through with the 1st few you got. Thats all fine and dandy, but thats like playing megaman with only the original buster, and not using any of the 8 robot bosses powers because you cant be assed to try them.

I found myself using every weapon in the game at some point except artemis, because i played mostly swordmaster and trickster, and artemis didnt fit my playstyle for that run.

And as far as symphony of the night goes, just stop bringing that up now, because if you wanna talk about pointless weapons, well castlevania is the game to talk about.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Wasn't Kalina Ann the strongest gun in the game? It was was more useful than E&I, the Shotgun, and any other gun Dante carried. Nevan, when used correctly built up the style meter far quicker than any other devil arm did. o_O

And, its funny that you mention Sotn, when it had a far larger amount of useless weapons than DMC3 could dream of. The only thing you really needed was the Jewel Knuckles and the Holy Rod. Combat wise, Alucard might have had only one sword strike animation per weapon, but, it had most of them had alt attacks, and he could wield two of them at the same time, so long as they didn't need two hands. If anything, Sotn started the trend of having a gazzilion options at your disposal. Lol.

I do agree with you about DMC3 though. Don't get me wrong, I think its a fun game, but, DMC was much better because it didn't have the useless A.I., and the atmosphere was so damned good. Same reason that I like the Onimusha games a tad bit more than 3. Thats neither here nor there.

Restricting options isn't the way to make a game difficult. Switching up the enemies, and making them actually pose a threat, is the way to go. I don't care about weapon counts, hell, Shinobi is one of my favorites. Hotsuma could have had thirty different weapons of varying strength, and it still would have been hard, because of its core mechanics.

comrade

C- Warrior said:
No, I disagree.

One of the reasons I've grown to hate the RPG genre is due to their over-dependance on options. Equip this, equip that, alter this, alter that, sphere board this, license board that, hex -frame this and that...YET THE GAME IS STUPIDLY easy. One of the thigns that bothered me in Mass Effect is all that micro-managing bullshit.

Give me one up weapon, give me one combo, but just give me fun, varied, interesting bosses and enemies. Like Castlevania Symphony of the Night. A game which had tremendously enjoyable combat.

Not only did DMC3 have useless weapons, but it also had useless enemies. Those Dhallahans or whatever they were called, Gigapede, Leviathan, Doppleganger, etc.

Now, DMC3 was easily the 2nd best action game of last generation (only losing out to DMC1) but you have to admit, some of the shit in DMC3 wasn't necessary.

All the pointless things in DMC3:

Artemis
Kalina Ann
Sniper
Soul Eaters
Leviathan
Gigapede
Doppleganger
Dullahans

Dude Greed's(what you call Hell Coffins) were awesome. I think it's mission 14 or 17 or so where there are 3 greed's in a room equaling endless Sloths to practice combos on.

Edit: Wrath's should be on that list though. The dumb enemy with the giant explosive sack on his back.

p.s. Nevan and Spiral are awesome.

Lightning

Banned
C- Warrior said:

Yeah, we don't admit incorrect assumptions passed on as facts in a feeble attempt to defend and mask the shortcomings of DMC4. That about sums up your entire baseless argument.

maskrider

Not spoiler I think, no story elements nor plots, just about Story Theater, I got Epilogue 01 in the Story Theater after clearing Human, I'm playing Devil Hunter now, passed Mission 11.

I wonder if there is Epilogue 02 (or more).

The bottomline is that DMC 4 is disappointed because it not only did not deliver what was promised it did not deliever what we expected at ALL! Total failure.

brandonh83 said:
I like the 360 analog sticks for FPS. That's about it. I think the PS3 analog sticks are far superior for action/adventure titles.

And I'm on the opposite spectrum. I think the Playstation line of controllers are utter shit and the only genre they are good for is puzzle games.

Z3F

Banned
Himuro said:
DMC1 does a lot better than DMC3, but at the end of the day I had much more fun with DMC3.

At least DMC1 isn't piss easy.

Don't most people agree that DMC1 was pretty easy compared to DMC3?

C- Warrior said:

Some people make the assumption that weapons are without purpose because they're too stupid to look for them.

Feck, Artemis was probably my favorite weapon with gunslinger, far from useless.

Mamesj

Banned
C- Warrior said:
Oh you A.D.D kids.

A good combat system is not the "amount of combos d00de ozmygod" that one can pull off. This isn't marvel vs. capcom. It's about enemy interaction, about each attack and move having a distinct purpose.

A lot of shit in DMC3 felt useless. Entire weapons, I wouldn't even use.

HA! "DMC isn't about combos." Now I know you're completely full of shit. How else do you build up the style meter with doing tons of free form combos? Is it any coincidence that the weapons you use are the ones with the most combo potential? Even DMC1 was all about crazy stylish combos. This is an amazing 180 man :lol

As I said before, Castlevania Symphony of the Night probably has the best combat system of any action / adventure game, yet Alucard can really only do one sword slash? Why...I'll let you figure it out.

:lol :lol :lol

I thought for a while that you were a fellow GAF action game aficionado, though I disagree with you a lot. But this? I suppose all the other Castlevania games are equally amazing too because they have an attack and a sub-weapon? P.S. everyone can beat that game with their eyes closed. It's a great game, but not because of its "combat system."

Mugen

Banned
C- Warrior said:

Nevan is pointless? Nevan is a high skill weapon and in the hands of a master will completely decimate anything. Only somebody severely lacking in understanding DMC3's battle mechanics would make such a preposterous claim.

Vagrant

Nevan is great for crowd control and keeping a high style meter. Not to mention it is just fun to use. Spiral is useful if you cancel its recovery frames. With E&I canceling it can not only kill things fast but you'll even get decent style buildup too. Kalina Ann is great for knocking down enemies and quickly annihilating smaller stuff like blood goyles, and soul eaters. It can even be useful during bosses, I imagine the end of mission 19 would be pretty annoying if you didn't bring along Kalina Ann.

I found all three of these weapons useful during recent attempts at getting high ranks in DMD mode. If you're just going for the single most useful setup, why aren't you using Beowulf? Beowulf kills just about everything stupidly fast. Hell, why not just Killer Bee everything to death if you don't care about combos?

MechaX

C- Warrior said:
Artemis
Kalina Ann
Sniper
Soul Eaters
Leviathan
Gigapede
Doppleganger
Dullahans

Personally, I found all of the weapons quite useful. Artemis is pretty much godlike given some Gunslinger expertise and some control input rearranging (Seriously, just look at a Gunslinger vid). I mentioned in another topic that Enigmas (Arrow guys) pretty much break the game on higher difficulties, but Nevan is pretty much the surefire way of not losing a chunk of health to them. That, and Nevan's moves have insane crowd control, gives tons of Style points, and does a fair enough amount of damage. Spiral is good when gun-cancelled by E&I. And I mean very good.

Kalina Ann, despite its missile only going two feet and it being utterly useless in regard to additional Gunslinger moves, does the most damage out of any FA. And canceling it with E&I racks up damage quite fast, more so than any other FA.

Despite the bad rap you're getting in this topic.. I can't help but agree with your enemy list. Soul Eaters, Reapers, and Dullahans (Pre-Bloody Palace) were, in my opinion alone, some of the worst enemies ever encountered in a DMC game (Yes, I'm including DMC2). Gigapede, Leviathan, and Doppleganger were pretty horrible bosses in their own right (Hell, Capcom could have done much more with Doppleganger than they did), and it doesn't help that nearly every Hell type has a "Slow scythe swing" attack with probably one other move.

Pterion

So finally played the demo from XBL. I can understand why pretty much every 360 owner I know is excited about it, but it's just not my cup of tea. Funny, considering how much I enjoy similar beat-them-up games.

AAK

Z3F said:
Don't most people agree that DMC1 was pretty easy compared to DMC3?

DMC1 Normal was only easier than DMC3 normal only because Yellow orbs were actually provided rather than having use orbs to buy them. Solely because of that, DMC3 was slightly harder, but DMC1 had the more challenging boss fights and enemies.

DMC1 Hard was much more harder than DMC3 hard.

DMC3 DMD was just plain insane though.

Mamesj said:
I thought for a while that you were a fellow GAF action game aficionado:lol :lol :lol , though I disagree with you a lot. But this? I suppose all the other Castlevania games are equally amazing too because they have an attack and a sub-weapon? P.S. everyone can beat that game with their eyes closed. It's a great game, but not because of its "combat system.":lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Calm down, are you calm? Can you stop laughing by yourself in front of you computer like a raging dumbass?

Symphony of the Night has a good combat system because the enemy types and enemy placement mechanics was very well though out.

Interestingly, the weapons and DT mechanics in DMC1 were in ways a lot better than DMC3's because they melded well with the various enemy types better.

DMC3, most of their weapons fit this bill, rebellion, e and i, coyote, beowulf, agni and rudra, but many others were simply superfluous.

Stop taking what I'm saying and applying them to exaggerated or irrelevant points.

LowParry

C- Warrior said:
Calm down, are you calm? Can you stop laughing by yourself in front of you computer like a raging dumbass?

Symphony of the Night has a good combat system because the enemy types and enemy placement mechanics was very well though out.

Interestingly, the weapons and DT mechanics in DMC1 were in ways a lot better than DMC3's because they melded well with the various enemy types better.

DMC3, most of their weapons fit this bill, rebellion, e and i, coyote, beowulf, agni and rudra, but many others were simply superfluous.

Stop taking what I'm saying and applying them to exaggerated or irrelevant points.

Well...yeah. Castlevania has a good combat system. Simple and easy to use. Although you're talking about the 2D combat system right? Not the 3D? They're pretty different between the two. But still, I don't get where you're getting at with your rants/complaints. Is there something wrong with having too many weapon selections?

Bebpo

Banned
Hey defuser, what was your strat on the
Nero v. Dante
fight? I thought it was a really good fight, though
I'm not sure if my strategy falls into cheap or just good strategy.

I would tap square to get him to shoot then do a snatch -> buster which would result in the cutscene and I wait and if he's left open I do a combo or if he wins I roll out or if I knock him away, I just do nothing further.

Then I just repeat that the whole match. If he gets close I throw out a snatch and roll to the side as he goes for the stinger and then do a snatch -> grab right out of the roll while he's ending his stinger animation and do what I do above.

CcrooK said:
Well...yeah. Castlevania has a good combat system. Simple and easy to use. Although you're talking about the 2D combat system right? Not the 3D? They're pretty different between the two. But still, I don't get where you're getting at with your rants/complaints. Is there something wrong with having too many weapon selections?

I said Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. That was a 2d game. Was there some 3D symphony of the night I'm not aware of?

No, there is nothing wrong with having too many weapon selections.

But the bottom line is -- if game A has 10 weapons (but 5 are useless) and game B has 5 weapons (but all 5 have a good ways of depth) -- then, you necessarily can't fault game B without playing it yourself. This isn't a numbers game, at which game has more or less. It's what becomes more applicable to the style of game and the enemies and bosses given.

That's why I keep alluding to the DMC1 vs. DMC3 debate.

DMC3 had more of everything. It was just a cluster-fuck of more, more and more. More enemies, more bosses, more weapons, more styles, more difficulty, more craziness, more cheesiness.

But again, I -- along with others feel that DMC1 was better than DMC3. And to this day, still is the benchmark of overall depth, atmosphere, challenge, and style in an action game.

Vyse The Legend said:
Unlockables:

Sons of Sparda (Hard)
Dante Must Die
Heaven or Hell
Hell or Hell

Super Dante
Super Nero

Bloody Palace
Art and such

What was Shane (in the 1up video review) and the Australian ign review alluding to "a replay secret that will make everyone want to go back again." Something they couldn't talk about?

Understandably, the concept of super nero / super dante is a lot more appealing than it was in dmc3 considering from the vids the devil trigger system in dmc4 seems to be a lot more fleshed out (like it was in dmc1), but I don't thats just it.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
MechaX said:
Despite the bad rap you're getting in this topic.. I can't help but agree with your enemy list. Soul Eaters, Reapers, and Dullahans (Pre-Bloody Palace) were, in my opinion alone, some of the worst enemies ever encountered in a DMC game (Yes, I'm including DMC2). Gigapede, Leviathan, and Doppleganger were pretty horrible bosses in their own right (Hell, Capcom could have done much more with Doppleganger than they did), and it doesn't help that nearly every Hell type has a "Slow scythe swing" attack with probably one other move.
Enemy design is a really overlooked aspect of games like this. I've yet to see it mentioned in any preview or review of DMC4. It's the main reason I find DMC1 an extremely fun game to play to this day despite it's limited mechanics and why I didn't have as much fun with DMC3 as others fans of the series did. Granted, the combo system was out of this world but Blood Goyles, Soul Eaters, Enigmas, The Fallen and demonic chess pieces are about as fun to fight as the demonic tanks and goats in DMC2.

C- Warrior said:
What was Shane (in the 1up video review) and the Australian ign review alluding to "a replay secret that will make everyone want to go back again." Something they couldn't talk about?

No idea, but that's all the strategy guide had listed, according to people around the interwebs. I recall Shane simply saying that using Pandora's Box made him want to replay it again.

Ken Masters said:
what is this? and I guess the first things you mentioned are just difficulties, and what's super ____ ?

Super Dante/Nero is just infinite Devil Trigger.

Bloody Palace is an arena-type level with like 999 floors where you fight packs of monsters of increasing difficulty. In DMC4, though, there is a time limit which you can extend by killing monsters quickly and stylishly.

anyword when DMC4 special edition comes out with extra missions + more?

seeing how DMC3 got that treatment.............at a cheaper price, I wonder if I should just hold out

Ken Masters said:
anyword when DMC4 special edition comes out with extra missions + more?

seeing how DMC3 got that treatment.............at a cheaper price, I wonder if I should just hold out

In an interview Kobayashi mentioned no plans for DLC or a re-release.

Although if there were to be one -- I'd guess it'd be a year or year and half from now.

It's also important to note that only DMC3 received a re-release, and that the concept is an exception (not a norm) to the DMC series. The director, also mentioned the only reason for a re-release was because of how hard DMC3 (USA) was, not so much because they -wanted- to add extras.

LowParry

Well anyway. Seeing that the thread's been derailed to a bitchfest of DMC1 vs DMC3...where does that leave 4 in all of the mess? Better? Worse? Okay? 4 seems to be averaging out a good clean score of between a 8.5 to 9 score. That seems pretty solid for a DMC game. I guess all this appriciation just went to hell from before, and now...yeah...

Narag

CcrooK said:
Well anyway. Seeing that the thread's been derailed to a bitchfest of DMC1 vs DMC3...where does that leave 4 in all of the mess? Better? Worse? Okay? 4 seems to be averaging out a good clean score of between a 8.5 to 9 score. That seems pretty solid for a DMC game. I guess all this appriciation just went to hell from before, and now...yeah...

At the very least its better than the system vs system/DMC vs other game shit that was earlier.

CcrooK said:

Well, the bitch fest started because people were saying that Nero makes the game feel a lot like DMC1, which saddened many people and caused others to bash DMC3. So, your love for DMC4 will depend on whether or not you are a DMC1 guy or a DMC3 guy.

Vyse The Legend said:
Well, the bitch fest started because people were saying that Nero makes the game feel a lot like DMC1, which saddened many people and caused others to bash DMC3. So, your love for DMC4 will depend on whether or not you are a DMC1 guy or a DMC3 guy.

I'm a both guy.

Zophar said:
Ditto. How should I feel about this game or do I need to actually play it and form my own opinion instead of making the internet tell me what I like?

Yes, play it yourself and judge.

Just know that the game is 3/4s DMC1 and 1/4 DMC3.

Top Bottom