• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Systems_id said:
Dude at EB said he had four extra PS3 copies so I need to be there by 5. Rawk!
PICS PICS PICS.

newsguy

I think people's TV's differ with inputs and such. Like if you have PS3 component or 360 component and the other system HDMI. Point being people are seeing different things on each system. On my TV, 360 component and PS3 HDMI look identical with DMC4. I tried as hard as I could to find differences but found nothing. I'm going with the PS3 version for the DS3.

belvedere

Junior Butler
dark10x said:
From what I recall, the creator never specifically stated anything about anything. He just continued to say that they were roughly equal and that trade-offs were made on each version without ever suggesting what those were (at least on GAF).

Distance texturing is entirely different and deals with the use of anisotropic filtering. The PS3 version seems to use VERY slightly AF, but it certainly isn't an optimal amount.

You're right, he didn't list every single trade-off, advantage or disadvantage, but he did
address the texture resolution issue with blatant clarity.

Calen said:
Saying the PS3 version uses significantly lower resolution textures as a global, blanket statement is not true. This would be one reason I didn't say it. Oh, that and because if I were to enumerate the specific differences and tradeoffs involved in making both consoles run well and look good it would bore everyone to tears, me included. (Edited to add, it would also get me fired.)

Making out like this is some kind of conspiracy of mine to mislead you guys is ridiculous.

Regarding the conveniently selective gun shadow picture.
Calen said:
Except that it isn't different resolutions. The PS3 filtering makes larger, smoother steps with more individual shades in them. If the 360 shot was clearer, you could see that the filtering makes more steps but they're not blended, such that you can see individual blocks of changing color as opposed to a smooth gradient.

The PS3 shadows look softer, in motion, which I personally prefer. The maps themselves are the same size, memory cost, etc. etc.

The "trade offs" that were mentioned appear to be enhanced AF (distant textures, ground textures and objects) for PS3, and a higher quality texture filter for up-close items in the 360 build. There are pictures that seem to back this theory up, but it's convenient that they're left out.

Here's a horrible example, but at least it is one.

PS3 has worse wall textures (on the right) but superior ground textures.

CoD4object.jpg

Here's one of the debates at b3d.

Your pictures made their way to this page too. :lol

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=40887&highlight=cod4&page=15

Edit: We're way off topic. I'm not wasting any more space in this thread. With that being said, I can't wait to pick up my copy of DMC4 tonight. :lol

Sorry everyone. You can thank the selective few for this going so far.

KGKK

Banned
Yes!!! Just picked it up and I even got an artbook with it I did not know about:D Now I just have to wait till 7:30pm to play it. Damn evening classes:(

RyuHayate

Wait, what the hell is going on here?

I've heard people saying that their local Gamestops are selling the game at 5:00 PM while the one I pre-ordered it at tells me that they aren't going to start selling them until tomorrow...

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
RyuHayate said:

I've heard people saying that their local Gamestops are selling the game at 5:00 PM while the one I pre-ordered it at tells me that they aren't going to start selling them until tomorrow...
I went the store today and they said tomorrow... :(

RyuHayate said:

Ya, my friend ran into that problem too. Iam going to check best buy, circut city, and walmat before I go to work tonight.

careksims

I just called my GS in San Diego and they won't have it til tomorrow :( It's always the case. Ship date means nothing. It's always the day after that day >_<

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
dark10x said:
I side with the best version of a game, not the version on my "favorite console". In this case, based on the demos only, the PS3 version of DMC4 is superior. However, it is by such a small margin (unlike the other games) that it hardly matters. Kinda like Burnout Paradise.

i'm surprised that you're going with the ps3 version when you're as sensitive about motion handling as you are -- its persistence effect almost looks like bad lcd ghosting. i'd suggest you spin the camera around in both demos and compare before you decide. also try freezing the image on your tv while moving the camera.

this image comparison shows the difference:
http://yoda.dip.jp/Game/DMC4/DMC4_52_360.png

http://yoda.dip.jp/Game/DMC4/DMC4_52_ps3.png

Baker

Banned
38 more minutes!

Some GS employee had to drive 1.5 hours to Peoria to pick the shipment up.

They must have had a lot of preorders because I don't think they've done that since Bioshock.

Edit: Plus my new living room furniture got delivered this morning. Gaming bliss in the Baker household tonight.

Narag

Home with DMC4 at long last. I'm digging the GS artbook preorder bonus.'

Exceed on 360 is limited to LT and RT as well.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Synless said:
Got mine, and installing now!!!!!! :D :D :D
:lol :lol

EDIT: You're all lying. No pics on the Internet = FAIL.

tribal24

Banned
hmm spoilers i think
anyone know a trick to the dice puzzle i keep rolling right on the freaking yellow its freaking gay-_-

Yoshichan

Synless said:
HOT PIC
HOT PIC

:D :D :D

I'm at 72/100!!!!!!
MORE!

Edit: Wow, I first thought these two were one pic:
24wvwpl.jpg

333izwk.jpg

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Just picked up my art book today, was hoping they'd have DMC4 but as usual they'll get it tomorrow.

The art book is very cool though.

Yoshichan

Drewsy said:
Just got my copy.

2008>2007 already. Eat it game journalists.
PICS! I need it!

Synless

Fucking sweet, it tells you which friends on your list have acomplished on the main menu, Defuser is tearing it up!!!

Whats automatic mode?

Yoshichan

Synless said:
Fucking sweet, it tells you which friends on your list have acomplished on the main menu, Defuser is tearing it up!!!
Yup, it's awesome :D!

Synless said:
Whats automatic mode?
It's crap, skip it unless you want your Nero to do shit by himself.

MajestY

Narag said:
Home with DMC4 at long last. I'm digging the GS artbook preorder bonus.'

Exceed on 360 is limited to LT and RT as well.
can anyone provide pics of the preorder book so that we know what some of us are missing out on?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Synless said:

Whats automatic mode?

does combos for you

Top Bottom