• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Drewsy said:
LOL, I'm not going to dig out my camera.

Hell, I'm not even going to play it! Shower here I come. :lol
You're installing the game, right?!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Drewsy said:
Nope, xbox 360 version.

Muhahahahahhaha.
Is it true that the loading times are unbelievably long?

I kid, I kid!

Yoshichan

Synless said:
Cut-scenes are pretty damn smooth so far.
Keep us informed! Do it!

RyuHayate

OMFG, this sucks so hard. I'm really happy for those of you who got it, but it's been on my mind all goddamned day and now I can't even fucking play it!

I hate life sometimes. I really do.

Synless

Seiken said:
Keep us informed! Do it!
Just got done with the intro with dante, Badass. I love this series. I'll post impressions later, I have a test and a paper to write so I won't have any time to play until tonight.

ngwwh0.jpg

Crappy cell phone camera pic but you already know how good it looks!! :D

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
belvedere said:
PS3 has worse wall textures (on the right) but superior ground textures.

CoD4object.jpg
I did not create those pictures that were floating around.

You are confused on what is going on in that pic, however. The quality is shit, for one, but the reason the PS3 texture APPEARS better is simply because it has more black element to it. The texture itself (the cracked ground) is significantly higher resolution on 360 (that specific texture). It looks very different (and blocky) on PS3, but it creates a false illusion of additional detail at a distance due to the extra amount of black pixels within it. It looks "bumpier" on PS3, but it is not higher resolution.

It seems that people were basing their opinions on just a few random shots, but that's not fair. If you really sit down and play, you'll find that textures were reduced on the whole. Not EVERY texture, mind you (some are the same), but a huge selection of them. Notice how the developer made mention of that fact? He's right in that some textures ARE the same in both versions, but more often than not, changes were made. Whether large (surfaces) or small (textures on hands and clothing).

drohne said:
i'm surprised that you're going with the ps3 version when you're as sensitive about motion handling as you are -- its persistence effect almost looks like bad lcd ghosting. i'd suggest you spin the camera around in both demos and compare before you decide. also try freezing the image on your tv while moving the camera.

this image comparison shows the difference:
http://yoda.dip.jp/Game/DMC4/DMC4_52_360.png

http://yoda.dip.jp/Game/DMC4/DMC4_52_ps3.png
Oh I know, but I also realize that the effect used on PS3 is exactly what was present in DMC1 and 3. They used a very similar blurring technique. It basically makes the game feel very much like Devil May Cry as that has always been there.

Mrbob

Defuser and Y2Kev give me your PSN names?

Wait maybe I have you on my PSN list already Y2Kev I forget sorry not home to check! Dark10x I'll take yours too. I like to see how much I get owned by gaffers.

DeadGzuz

Banned
dark10x said:
You are confused on what is going on in that pic, however. The quality is shit, for one, but the reason the PS3 texture APPEARS better is simply because it has more black element to it. The texture itself (the cracked ground) is significantly higher resolution on 360 (that specific texture). It looks very different (and blocky) on PS3, but it creates a false illusion of additional detail at a distance due to the extra amount of black pixels within it. It looks "bumpier" on PS3, but it is not higher resolution.

I hate to quibble, but it the texture filtering that is different on the ground. The PS3 uses AF more often than the 360 (it's cheaper). You cannot make a texture look less blurry by adding black pixels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anisotropic_filtering

In 3D computer graphics, anisotropic filtering (abbreviated AF) is a method of enhancing the image quality of textures on surfaces that are at oblique viewing angles with respect to the camera where the projection of the texture (not the polygon or other primitive it is rendered on) appears to be non orthogonal. Like bilinear and trilinear filtering it eliminates aliasing effects, but introduces less blur at extreme viewing angles and thus preserves more detail.

Bebpo

Banned
Mrbob said:
Defuser and Y2Kev give me your PSN names?

Wait maybe I have you on my PSN list already Y2Kev I forget sorry not home to check! Dark10x I'll take yours too. I like to see how much I get owned by gaffers.

Yeah I need your tag and Dark10x/Y2Kev as well.

dark10x

DeadGzuz said:
I hate to quibble, but it the texture filtering that is different on the ground. The PS3 uses AF more often than the 360 (it's cheaper). You cannot make a texture look less blurry by adding black pixels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anisotropic_filtering
I know that, but it isn't that the texture looks less blurry, it's simply somewhat more harsh looking in its appearance. The texture itself is much lower in resolution. The PS3 version does not take advantage of high quality AF, however, as you can see in the shot I posted on the previous page. Different textures look different when viewed from the same angle.

This case isn't a matter of filtering. That is a terrible pic to base anything on as well. I've seen them both in action on the same TV and I've compared that exact level.

Yeah I need your tag and Dark10x/Y2Kev as well.
My PSN name is "dark1x".

Synless

does anyone else in here have the game so far? I'm loving it so far, I need to get off though but it's so hard once you get into it.

dark10x

Bebpo said:
Your friends list is maxed >_<

Sony really needs to update the list to 99 in one of these updates.
OK, I've cleared out a few that I did not recognize. You should be able to add it now.

So, I need this explained to me again...

Why is it again the Nero gets Nelo Angelo's soul and has the blood of Sparda and has some weird growth on his arm? I mean, Agnus explains that he used Yamato to channel demon souls so that he could basically make Devil Steroids, but why Nero and if Angus and Credo are both "angelos," I refuse to believe it's just a general use of Angel == Angelo when we have "Nero Angelo," then don't they also have a part of Vergil, so don't all of them possess the blood of Sparda? So why does Yamato only react to Nero, why is Nero the only one without a transformation, and why does he have the Devil Bringer and... I just don't get it, this is a gaping maw of a plot hole, unless I missed the connection, which is why I'm asking.

DeadGzuz

Banned
dark10x said:
I know that, but it isn't that the texture looks less blurry, it's simply somewhat more harsh looking in its appearance. The texture itself is much lower in resolution. The PS3 version does not take advantage of high quality AF, however, as you can see in the shot I posted on the previous page. Different textures look different when viewed from the same angle.

This case isn't a matter of filtering. That is a terrible pic to base anything on as well. I've seen them both in action on the same TV and I've compared that exact level.

You cannot really comment on what resolution that texture is after it's been through mip-mapping, it a lower resolution version of the original. You are arguing the original is higher res, but that's kind of irrelevant when talking about textures far away. I think it's all about texture filtering there is nothing else that can explain the difference when talking about mip-maps at extreme angles.

I think it's an impossible stance to argue the PS3 has a lower resolution texture and is less blurry. You cannot unblur something by adding contrast or black pixels. You can unblur a mip-map using AF, it is about the only explanation that makes sense.

They kind of discuss this here, you are even quoted on the previous page. The consensus is better base textures on 360, AF on the PS3. This is not controversial and the evidence backs it up.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=40887&page=18

FYI:

Each bitmap image of the mipmap set is a version of the main texture, but at a certain reduced level of detail. Although the main texture would still be used when the view is sufficient to render it in full detail, the renderer will switch to a suitable mipmap image (or in fact, interpolate between the two nearest, if trilinear filtering is activated) when the texture is viewed from a distance or at a small size. Rendering speed increases since the number of texture pixels ("texels") being processed can be much lower than with simple textures. Artifacts are reduced since the mipmap images are effectively already anti-aliased, taking some of the burden off the real-time renderer. Scaling down and up is made more efficient with mipmaps as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mipmap

WrikaWrek

Banned
So i'm hearing you play the game twice...but with different characters each time basically.

True? We're going to be doing the same shit with Dante that we did we Nero?

Chemo

Glad I decided to get the regular version... those limited cases are disgusting. Thanks for the pics either way, guys.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
WrikaWrek said:
So i'm hearing you play the game twice...but with different characters each time basically.

True? We're going to be doing the same shit with Dante that we did we Nero?
When you switch to Dante, you start from the level you just reached with Nero and go back to the beginning of the game.

So it looks like I will be able to get DMC4 tomorrow. Wish I could have got it today but it's not available in NY yet. I have tomorrow off after 5 classes but then I have to work for 3 days straight. Should get to play quite a bit tomorrow though:D

Mrbob

What is the gamers saving club membership?

I don't have a circuit city near me.

Is it 10 percent off all gaming purchases for a year?

Kingpen

Basically they make you pay 20 bucks up front to get 10% off of videogames for a year from them. Only worth it if you plan to buy all your games from them. I would never do it myself since I utilize the trading system frequently at game stop.

Kingpen said:
Basically they make you pay 20 bucks up front to get 10 off of videogames for a year from them. Only worth it if you plan to buy all your games from them. I would never do it myself since I utilize the trading system frequently at game stop.
You know trading games in to gamestop comes out to being much more expensive...

Top Bottom