• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Kyoufu said:
Yeah I've played both. Both are the same, no input lag on any of them, and naturally I do better on the PS3 controller because of preference. Don't like the right bumper or the face buttons at all.
Saying that, god bless customisable controls. 360 owners shouldn't have a problem if they tweak it.

Same here. The PS3 controller feels much better for a game like this and I've been playing the demo over and over again and no problems with response time. Even the DMC gamer who made the video on youtube (forgot his name) prefers the PS3 controller. That video is where my avatar is from.

I think I might drop by EB tonight around 5pm to see if they have the game.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Since I have been playing the old DMC games on my PS3 (hugs 60GB), I will likely stick with my original plan and get the PS3 version. I really want to have those Home trophies. :D

Sectus

I have to give DMC4 some massive praise for doing a great job with difficulty, balance and replayability.

For casual players there's Human/Easy mode which is generally easy but might be challenging at times, but you can still easily progress as the game will become even easier if you continue after dying.

For hardcore players there's 3 really challenging difficulty levels (the only drawback is that anything higher than Normal isn't unlocked at the start of the game). You might say that using items, or making the game easier after dying, would ruin the difficulty, but the game fixes that in a rather nice way. At the end of a mission you get a big penalty to the score if you used any items or died even once. Which means that if you're playing for an S ranking you have to pretend items don't exist and that dying equals restarting the level.

And regarding replayablity, the game does a good job of replaying missions feel less like a hassle. Absolutely any cutscene can be skipped (even the tiny cutscenes which shows barriers being spawned in a room), and there's no unnecessary dialog or tutorials to bore you to death. It feels very nice you can spend 99.9% of the time having fun and whacking at demons when replaying the game. That last 0.1% is spent on loading times but they're so short it doesn't matter.
I hope the developers of Assassin's Creed and Burnout: Paradise takes a note of this. *This* is how you make a game replayable and fun at all times!

So, yeah, I think the game does a good job of catering to every type of player. It can be pathetically easy for those who don't want a game to be difficult. The game has a wide array of challenging difficulties for those who love a challenge. And it lets players depend on items and retries while encouraging them to not do so.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
belvedere said:
You're out of your mind. B3d proved every one one those "screenshots" to be rigged in some form. Not to mention, an IW dev himself said the same thing, right here on gaf, and another IW employee (his level involvement with development is unknown) reaffirmed his statements at the B3d forums.

He was right about the framerate (which was a bit over exaggerated) and motion blur on The Darkness, but dead wrong about AF and HDR.
No, I was right on about CoD4. I've played both on my own setup and made direct comparisons. There are texture differences between them. Furthermore, if you need a real comparison, Eurogamer DID a direct comparison uses screen grabs (rather than photos) and it was obvious that MOST textures were inferior on PS3. The framerate is also smoother on 360.

I don't recall saying anything about AF and HDR in The Darkness, though. My only complaints were lack of motion blur, slower framerate, and lower resolution. The audio was superior on PS3, however.

I was also right about Turok in that the PS3 version is lacking in texture detail and lighting.

I side with the best version of a game, not the version on my "favorite console". In this case, based on the demos only, the PS3 version of DMC4 is superior. However, it is by such a small margin (unlike the other games) that it hardly matters. Kinda like Burnout Paradise.

Here are two CoD4 shots I had handy that were captured from the game. Unfortuantely, the texture differences go far beyond small things like this. Nearly every major and minor surface in the game has been modified on PS3. Some of them are small downgrades (like 50% resolution loss) while others are much greater. Basically, all of the fine texture detail has been stripped away (from weapons all the way to world surfaces). Why are you attempting to discredit what I've said? People actually appreciate it, you know. I sure as hell would like to know when there is a difference.

Perhaps in the case of DMC4, I was a bit over zealous in that the two versions are close enough that it comes down more to controller preference (which is an opinion).

2001120611760534557_rs.jpg
2001142470236690455_rs.jpg

2001150164137426261_rs.jpg

2001157751032196280_rs.jpg

DenogginizerOS

Sectus said:
nice post

This is what I am beginning to really like about this game. Capcom is really doing a great job this generation with listening to people and giving their games more appeal. It sounds like the purists would have preferred to have the difficult settings unlocked from the outset, but it sounds like burning through this game will not take long on the default setting (if you are a vet). I, on the other hand, will likely welcome the adjustment periosd provided by the easier setting.

Thrakier

DenogginizerOS said:
After playing the demo on X360(component) and PS3(HDMI), I can't deny that the X360 version seems richer and pops more visually. I have a Panasonic 1080P plasma and I am surprised that the X360 version running through component looks better to me. Now, I prefer the controls on the PS3 (especially with the DS3) but I can't help but wonder that this is a preview of how all multiplatform games will end up visually. I think Burnout on PS3 looks much better than X360, but it seems to me that is more of the exception at this point. I am interested if others have had the same experience.

By the way, the lack of 1080P or 1080i upscaling for the PS3 version is lame.

It doesn't look better. It's all about IQ and the Video-Quality! Just change the settings for your PS3 if you need more "pop". But correct Video-Output is not about "Pop" btw! 360 Video-output has too much contrast and is oversharped. It's not better, it's different.

ElyrionX

Some of you are not going to like this:

You cannot, I repeat, you CANNOT assign Exceed to anything other than L2 and R2 on the PS3 pad.

sprocket

Banned
lol are you guys still arguing graphics? That has been concluded wayyy back in this thread.

PS3 - better texture filtering - though makes it look a little blurry.

360 - bad texture shimmer - but higher contrast textures.

/thread.

Kyoufu

DenogginizerOS said:
This is what I am beginning to really like about this game. Capcom is really doing a great job this generation with listening to people and giving their games more appeal. It sounds like the purists would have preferred to have the difficult settings unlocked from the outset, but it sounds like burning through this game will not take long on the default setting (if you are a vet). I, on the other hand, will likely welcome the adjustment periosd provided by the easier setting.

My only fear right now is that Devil Hunter ends up being too easy. Bebpo says SoS is the perfect difficulty minus the enemy placements, which could be bad for a new file.

Kyoufu

ElyrionX said:
Some of you are not going to like this:

You cannot, I repeat, you CANNOT assign Exceed to anything other than L2 and R2 on the PS3 pad.

I figured. I actually thought this would be the case back when I posted about how the L2 button wouldn't work on the Dualshock 2. Analogue buttons FTL :(

Pretty sad too. I was planning on perfect-revs with the L1 button :(

DenogginizerOS

Kyoufu said:
I figured. I actually thought this would be the case back when I posted about how the L2 button wouldn't work on the Dualshock 2. Analogue buttons FTL :(

Pretty sad too. I was planning on perfect-revs with the L1 button :(
Is this a dealbreaker on harder difficulties?

Mrbob

DenogginizerOS said:

No more than a deal breaker than on X360 as using the Left bumper to rev isn't as natural since the stick is so close to the button.

I called Gamestop last night and they said it would be in today. Now whether they have it or not, I'm not sure, I have to call them when I get a chance and see.

Kyoufu

DenogginizerOS said:

Not at all. Its a dealbreaker on all difficulties. :lol :lol

I guess it takes getting used to. I don't think people will care about it after a few hours. I didn't care about it on the demo but it would've been MUCH better to use L1 instead.

Oh well.

sprocket

Banned
ToyMachine228 said:
Sigh...Just went down to search for DMC4 and no one is going to have it until Wednesday. East Coast disadvantage!

yup east coast always gets it a day later unless its a hold till release. :(

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
As usual, Bonus Stage in Queens (last stop N/W trains) has got it, for all you NY Gaffers.

Mrbob

It also depends on what is more comfortable to rev with.

For me revving is much easier with the L2 on the Dual Shock 3 than the left trigger on the 360.

ElyrionX

Mrbob said:
It also depends on what is more comfortable to rev with.

For me revving is much easier with the L2 on the Dual Shock 3 than the left trigger on the 360.

While the triggers on the 360 pad tend to be superior for most games, it does appear that in the case of revving on DMC4, the Sixaxis/DS3 has the superior triggers.

KTallguy

Banned
I think the reason is that you need to have some kind of analog trigger for the revving, so that you have to push it all the way in. If you could just tap it lightly to rev all the way, it might ruin the balance.

Kyoufu

ElyrionX said:
While the triggers on the 360 pad tend to be superior for most games, it does appear that in the case of revving on DMC4, the Sixaxis/DS3 has the superior triggers.

Shane's Burnout review vindicated? lol

sprocket said:
exactly . its an analog function. I dont see who would want it anywhere else after playing the demo so much.

Because instant-rev with a non-analogue button would be so much easier.

Oh wait its sprocket. Move along.

sprocket

Banned
KTallguy said:
I think the reason is that you need to have some kind of analog trigger for the revving, so that you have to push it all the way in. If you could just tap it lightly to rev all the way, it might ruin the balance.

exactly . its an analog function. I dont see who would want it anywhere else after playing the demo so much.

Mamesj

Banned
As I wait for 5 o'clock to roll around, something occurred to me--doesn't the new rev system seem like it might get to be a nuisance? Say you do get good at it-- the idea of hitting "L" in between every attack seems kind of obtuse. it's kind of a mini game like GoW's active reload which is cool on one hand, but on the other, I hope it's balanced so that SSS rank isn't heavily based on your ability to just rev.

Bebpo

Banned
Just get the version you want.

Seriously.

In every multi-thread where the games are close enough that either could be "definitive" based on subjective standards, people who want to buy it on X360 will buy it on X360 and then reason why it's better on their system. People who want to buy it on PS3 will buy it on PS3 and reason why it's better on their system, and the 1% of people who actually want to be objective can figure out which one to get on their own with everyone listing reasons. The demos are available on both systems.

Let's move on with the thread.

Mrbob

Bebpo said:
Just get the version you want.

Seriously.

In every multi-thread where the games are close enough that either could be "definitive" based on subjective standards, people who want to buy it on X360 will buy it on X360 and then reason why it's better on their system. People who want to buy it on PS3 will buy it on PS3 and reason why it's better on their system, and the 1% of people who actually want to be objective can figure out which one to get on their own with everyone listing reasons. The demos are available on both systems.

Let's move on with the thread.

You need to wait a day before everyone has the game first. :D

KTallguy

Banned
Kyoufu said:
Because instant-rev with a non-analogue button would be so much easier.

And it would break the balance of the game if everything was easy. Duh.

Mamesj said:
As I wait for 5 o'clock to roll around, something occurred to me--doesn't the new rev system seem like it might get to be a nuisance? Say you do get good at it-- the idea of hitting "L" in between every attack seems kind of obtuse. it's kind of a mini game like GoW's active reload which is cool on one hand, but on the other, I hope it's balanced so that SSS rank isn't heavily based on your ability to just rev.

If it wasn't there, you'd be doing the same thing as DMC3. It's a great system that rewards hardcore players, but I imagine newbish players wouldn't have to use it to beat the game.

sprocket

Banned
Mamesj said:

revving .. I think .. is an answer to Ninja Gaiden's UTs.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Why is everyone saying the game is coming out tomorrow? Don't scare me! I got my call last night informing me that my copy would be available for pick up today after 5.

Mrbob

ElyrionX said:

I agree. I've been wavering on both versions for the last week but the rev system finally clicked with me today and I did so much better revving between attacks with enemies with the dual shock 3. I had a hell of time trying to do the same thing on X360 managing between the right bumper and left trigger. I know you can change the lock on to the right trigger on the final version but the left trigger on the x360 just doesn't seem as suited to revving. You have to press down longer and harder to get the same effect by just tapping the L2 button the PS3 controller. But whatevez I'm sure some people will master the 360 version and get insane combos.

I just want to pick up the final version today so I can play it.

tribal24

Banned
belvedere said:
Why is everyone saying the game is coming out tomorrow? Don't scare me! I got my call last night informing me that my copy would be available for pick up today after 5.

its today thats why i never go to gamestop and buy games mom and pops stores ftw!

Draft

Revving is not analog, at least not the revving that matters. Who cares how you rev up when you're just standing there? Only instarev counts, and instarev is easier on a button than on a trigger. Period.

That being said, you barely have to brush the trigger to activate the rev. Your reflex will be to press it down entirely, but that is unnecessary. You can actually see me complain about this earlier in this very thread, because my finger would slip while running, lightly touch the left trigger, and Nero would stop dead in his tracks and do a standing rev.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Tiduz said:
im PAL, just got a call my CE PS3 version is in stock, arrives tomorrow at my house ! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Omg omg :D!

KGKK

Banned
Just went to EBgames here in Toronto, Scarborough and they did not have it in yet:( They better get it in before the end of the day, since tomorrow I have no classes and I was kinda hoping to stay in all day playing the hell out of DMC4.

Top Bottom