• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Xplay Review said:
Most players will find the automatic mode easier to manage and less frustrating because it uses the sword button to launch a variety of attacks..

You fuckin dipshits, if you play the game on EASY AUTOMATIC ON, of course it's going to be repetetive since you aren't doing any of the special attacks :lol

LowParry

I didn't look back on previous pages cause I didn't want to see any spoilers, but there any audio impressions with the PS3 version? Lossless? Yes yes?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Defuser said:
Great game, the combat are one step forward but in general the gameplay is a step backward.Check my previous post(review) for it.

ok. :D

I cannot believe I'm going to buy this game tomorrow. Its been like what, 2 years waiting for it, I am so excited.

striKeVillain! said:
Oh shit. Wtf am I supposed to do with my life now?!?

Amercian Capcom game manuals ALWAYS gets the short end of the stick. I thought Lost Planet for the 360 was going to end that, guess not.

Spruchy

Dont get me wrong im not one of those guys who will cry that one of their favorite games gets an 8.5 or some shit buttttttttttttt....

I like how Shane B gave heavenly sword a 9 and DMC4 a 8.5 when he pretty much says in the 1up video review it sets the bar for other action games.

Good stuff.

WrikaWrek

Banned
I think anyone can agree on one thing. Although Nero looks cool, his fac/hair should be different.

Really, lose the white hair cmon, and do a different haircut, something more daring.

I think Capcom kinda lost a chance here to really make a character visually distinct enough that it could actually challenge Dante.

Too bad.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Lol, I got the game...and I love it ^_^ Three levels done. Would be still playing but I gotz the headache:lol ...need to remember to eat these days ^_^

Anyways few things

Either I got much better or Reving is allot easier. I'm hitting it many more times now. Ditto with combos, just in the 2nd level. I got to SS's. And I'm seeming be able to get mid C-B for just a single mob.

Sound...I DON KNOWZ I HAVE NO SOUNDS!!! *cries over not being able to here Dante*

Subtitles...Oh Yea!!!

Graphics...Dante's *****in Belt is 10x more awesome lol. Also...really really hot...like really!!!

I manage to snag two artbooks also hehe.

And well...all fine and dandy on the western front

I snagged mine at 6:00 at the EB near my house, and it was the last copy they had for non reserves (or so they said, I don't ever believe that shit).

The girl behind the counter was nice enough to give me the DMC4 mini artbook, which is surprisingly a hard cover. Considering the manual is in black and white, I'd definitely keep your eye out for the art book -- it's pretty swank.

I'm currently now watching election results as the game installs. la la la...

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
C- Warrior said:
You fuckin dipshits, if you play the game on EASY AUTOMATIC ON, of course it's going to be repetetive since you aren't doing any of the special attacks :lol
If this game was on easy automatic with the same difficulty as the demo I would definitely understand some of the negative comments in the reviews. In fact, it would be downright boring. DMC just isn't DMC unless it can kick your ass.

Defuser

Systems_id said:
I'm thinking I like Nero even more than Dante. Fighting those Knights was a blast.
yeah, I did a stinger move with Dante then I realized I can't snatch the enemies for more combos.

From a review blog:

Here's a theory - DMC4's game world feels like it was built from the ground up for Nero, with bosses and level design tailored to his Devil Bringer attacks. Perhaps Capcom, at some point through the game's development simply thought they couldn't release it without having fan favourite Dante playable at some point. And so, rather than redesign the game, they had our stubbly anti-hero thrown into environments and facing enemies that weren't designed to get the most out of him.

It's a crying shame, because with a little more effort, DMC4 could have been a genuine contender for 2008 game of the year. As it is it's a brilliant, addictive, just plain cool hack and slash action game which goes some way to bringing the series back to its initial lustre. There are some high quality contenders to the throne - the God of War and Ninja Gaiden series' spring to mind - but there's something uniquely appealing about DMC. Capcom has done nothing to make it more appealing for those who have passed on the series in the past, has been very brave with its decision to replace Dante with Nero, and, in many areas, been extremely slack in terms of game design, but, on the whole, DMC4 will leave fans with a smirk the great demon hunter himself would be proud of.

They basically say that if Dante wasn't even in the game, and they just focused on a Nero a bit more the game would easily be a contender for GOTY 2008. (at least for action genre).

C- Warrior said:
From a review blog:

Here's a theory - DMC4's game world feels like it was built from the ground up for Nero, with bosses and level design tailored to his Devil Bringer attacks. Perhaps Capcom, at some point through the game's development simply thought they couldn't release it without having fan favourite Dante playable at some point. And so, rather than redesign the game, they had our stubbly anti-hero thrown into environments and facing enemies that weren't designed to get the most out of him.

It's a crying shame, because with a little more effort, DMC4 could have been a genuine contender for 2008 game of the year. As it is it's a brilliant, addictive, just plain cool hack and slash action game which goes some way to bringing the series back to its initial lustre. There are some high quality contenders to the throne - the God of War and Ninja Gaiden series' spring to mind - but there's something uniquely appealing about DMC. Capcom has done nothing to make it more appealing for those who have passed on the series in the past, has been very brave with its decision to replace Dante with Nero, and, in many areas, been extremely slack in terms of game design, but, on the whole, DMC4 will leave fans with a smirk the great demon hunter himself would be proud of.

They basically say that if Dante wasn't even in the game, and they just focused on a Nero a bit more the game would easily be a contender for GOTY 2008. (at least for action genre).

hmm....makes enough sense

....this blows, I have to wait till tommorow to grab my copy =(

Drewsy

Banned
Man, the upgrading part is so overwhelming. I've been at the first golden god or whatever for the past hour trying to decide what to buy. (I've never played a DMC game before)

I think I'm gonna go with Streak.

neojubei

AgentOtaku said:
hmm....makes enough sense

....this blows, I have to wait till tommorow to grab my copy =(

Tomorrow is almost here so it isn't so bad. I should have taken tomorrow off from work.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
C- Warrior said:
From a review blog:

I interpreted that as them saying they didn't play up to Dante's strengths, and just copy-pasted him into levels meant for Nero. I also thought they could have used Nero's devil bringer for some platforming challenges, like in Super Magnetic Neo.

Mrbob

Heh.

Loaded up DMC4 while Bebpo was playing and not only did the game give me a small pop up window saying he was online playing the game, but it gave me a listing of all his accomplishments too. Now I can see what I'm up against! :D

Bebpo

Banned
Got to playing as Dante on SoS. Some of the stuff in end Nero SoS is pretty frustrating and evil.

Electric lizard in a tiny cage!!? Fuck you. Seriously.

Mrbob said:
Heh.

Loaded up DMC4 while Bebpo was playing and not only did the game give me a small pop up window saying he was online playing the game, but it gave me a listing of all his accomplishments too. Now I can see what I'm up against! :D

Yeah, I really like the little pop-up at the start telling you what achievements/levels your friends have got to while you were gone. I hope this is something that's been integrated into the OS now and future games will have it as well.

SapientWolf said:
I interpreted that as them saying they didn't play up to Dante's strengths, and just copy-pasted him into levels meant for Nero. I also thought they could have used Nero's devil bringer for some platforming challenges, like in Super Magnetic Neo.

yeah...thinking about it now...the fundemental "assets" were done for DMC4 for awhile weren't they? ....didn't they just spend all of that extra time tweaking EVERYTHING....so I can't really buy into Dante just being "copied and pasted" into the later levels

neojubei

Mrbob said:
Heh.

On the PS3 version? Sweet.

brandonh83 said:
THIS GAME IS SO FUCKING AWESOME

I am all colors of jealousy right now. Enjoy your game.

In my experience (just beat the second boss) this is my favorite entry so far. Of course I'm not that far yet but holy shit it is so good.

disclaimer: I'm a DMC1 guy, though I love DMC3 as well.

tribal24

Banned
fucking shit -_-
god freaking credo is difficult wtf i olny have 1000 red orbs cant even buy health lol
so far the game is amazing though especially the jungle just this part i been stuck on for like 30 mins

Bebpo

Banned
tribal24 said:
fucking shit -_-
god freaking credo is difficult wtf i olny have 1000 red orbs cant even buy health lol
so far the game is amazing though especially the jungle just this part i been stuck on for like 30 mins

Dodge -> Streak -> Buster -> repeat. When you dizzy him use DT before Buster for a cooler animation and more damage

It is pretty easy so far (playing on DH) though I've had a few close calls. I'd say the next difficulty level up would provide the most fair challenge to me since I'm not spectacular at these games.

Mrbob said:
Heh.

Your bitch ass better be playing on Devil Hunter.

If you play on Human and start bitching about A.I I'll fuckin kill Itagaki and mail his corpse to you ;)

tribal24

Banned
Bebpo said:
Dodge -> Streak -> Buster -> repeat. When you dizzy him use DT before Buster for a cooler animation and more damage

yeah im doing that its just that the strike where he slashes the ground keeps freaking hitting me, what breaks the sheild faster is it regurlar attacks or exceed? seems to me that exceed causes it to turn red though

neojubei

C- Warrior said:
Your bitch ass better be playing on Devil Hunter.

If you play on Human and start bitching about A.I I'll fuckin kill Itagaki and mail his corpse to you ;)
:lol :lol :lol

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Mefisutoferesu said:
So, I need this explained to me again...

Why is it again the Nero gets Nelo Angelo's soul and has the blood of Sparda and has some weird growth on his arm? I mean, Agnus explains that he used Yamato to channel demon souls so that he could basically make Devil Steroids, but why Nero and if Angus and Credo are both "angelos," I refuse to believe it's just a general use of Angel == Angelo when we have "Nero Angelo," then don't they also have a part of Vergil, so don't all of them possess the blood of Sparda? So why does Yamato only react to Nero, why is Nero the only one without a transformation, and why does he have the Devil Bringer and... I just don't get it, this is a gaping maw of a plot hole, unless I missed the connection, which is why I'm asking.

SPOILER:
Nero has white hair, none of the others have, nero looks like dante kinda, none of the others do, Dante and nero 2nd fight is about Yamato, Dante says he would like to keep it in the family, nero says but i need it, dante says fine keep it. this looks like nero is family but doesnt know it himself.

Top Bottom