• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 |OT| of daring to defy your savior

Drewsy said:
Haha OK. I just thought I was missing something because I've run into like 10 things asking for this.

Nah, I was like WTF too then I just kept going and... yeah.

oh by the way this game is amazing.

Mrbob

Are my eyes deceiving me, or does it seem like the blurring in the final game isn't nearly as bad as the demo (PS3 version).

It bugged me in the demo, but I barely see it in the final version.

Drewsy

Banned
brandonh83 said:
oh by the way this game is amazing.

Quoted for
jam.gif
jam.gif
jam.gif

Holy crap that friend achievement thing sounds awesome. If anyone wants to add me my PSN name is dvader654. I will have the game tomorrow. Can't freaking wait!

Drewsy said:
Quoted for
jam.gif
jam.gif
jam.gif

I'm serious... I don't even know what it is but I'm loving this far more than the other games, and I'm a huge fan of those. Once I beat the game maybe I'll be able to hone down exactly what makes this one so much better in my eyes. As for now, I just know it kicks ass.

Miami, I'll add you later when I'm done torturing my brain with German homework. my PSN ID is zombiepulse for anyone else I don't have added yet. The more the merrier.

LordK

Mrbob said:
Are my eyes deceiving me, or does it seem like the blurring in the final game isn't nearly as bad as the demo (PS3 version).

It bugged me in the demo, but I barely see it in the final version.

If that's true, then you just made my day. That was the ONE thing that irked the crap out of me. I was going PS3 despite it anyways. But if this is true, I'll be much happier.

drohne said:
i'm surprised that you're going with the ps3 version when you're as sensitive about motion handling as you are -- its persistence effect almost looks like bad lcd ghosting. i'd suggest you spin the camera around in both demos and compare before you decide. also try freezing the image on your tv while moving the camera.

this image comparison shows the difference:
http://yoda.dip.jp/Game/DMC4/DMC4_52_360.png

http://yoda.dip.jp/Game/DMC4/DMC4_52_ps3.png

ugh. these posts keep me second guessing myself. oh well too late now as my order has been placed

To be honest my anticipation went down a bit when the word came in on how Dante was playable for only a few missions and that all he did was repeat the same locations and bosses as Nero.

But now that the game is in most peoples hands and everyone seems to agree its awesome, I am hyped again. One more day till action gaming bliss.

MiamiWesker said:
To be honest my anticipation went down a bit when the word came in on how Dante was playable for only a few missions and that all he did was repeat the same locations and bosses as Nero.

But now that the game is in most peoples hands and everyone seems to agree its awesome, I am hyped again. One more day till action gaming bliss.

as said I'm not very far, so I don't know what I'll think of it later. I'll see how the Dante section goes. but right now? yes. it's asskick awesome.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Tiduz said:
SPOILER:
Nero has white hair, none of the others have, nero looks like dante kinda, none of the others do, Dante and nero 2nd fight is about Yamato, Dante says he would like to keep it in the family, nero says but i need it, dante says fine keep it. this looks like nero is family but doesnt know it himself.

i don't think he is family at all ( it doesn't make any sense what so ever to the story of Sparda and will make a huge plot hole to DMC3's sons of sparda blood to open the door story ) , from what i understand so far , i guess nero is just a copy that the order made from Nelo Angelo's remains (yeah just like Big boss and the three Snakes ) , so Nero got some of Vergil 's DNA ( white hair , Sparda's blood , emoness ..ect) , all the ""angelos"" thingy in the DMC4 is just like the genome soldier and big boss of metal gear series .

I had it reserved in another town (about 20 minutes from here) and I got there at 3:30pm to pick it up, and the employee told me they couldn't sell it until 5:00pm. So I went and had some Gold Star Chili across the street with some friends, we stayed in there as long as possible and damn it was good.

I just wanted to share this story with everyone just in case someone needs an idea for a best-seller.

edit: by the way this game has some incredibly titty animations. Kyrie sorta pushes her arms together at the beginning and her breasts smushed together... it was great

Tiduz said:
SPOILER:
Nero has white hair, none of the others have, nero looks like dante kinda, none of the others do, Dante and nero 2nd fight is about Yamato, Dante says he would like to keep it in the family, nero says but i need it, dante says fine keep it. this looks like nero is family but doesnt know it himself.
But that doesn't explain a FREAKING THING, it's completely random!!!

Totobeni said:
i don't think he is family at all ( it doesn't make any sense what so ever to the story of Sparda and will make a huge plot hole to DMC3's sons of sparda blood to open the door story ) , from what i understand so far , i guess nero is just a copy that the order made from Nelo Angelo's remains (yeah just like Big boss and the three Snakes ) , so Nero got some of Vergil 's DNA ( white hair , Sparda's blood , emoness ..ect) , all the ""angelos"" thingy in the DMC4 is just like the genome soldier and big boss of metal gear series .

See this is sadly more what I was thinking, but more RE... i.e. Nelo Angelo's soul re-encoded his DNA or something, but that's still ridiculous and should be at least slightly hinted at if you're going to do something like that.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Mefisutoferesu said:
But that doesn't explain a FREAKING THING, it's completely random!!!

See this is sadly more what I was thinking, but more RE... i.e. Nelo Angelo's soul re-encoded his DNA or something, but that's still ridiculous and should be at least slightly hinted at if you're going to do something like that.

good point, i hope DMC5 will make everything clearer.

also Gamespot review is up, score: 8.0

The Good
Extraordinary action sequences highlighted by smooth controls and slick animations Nero is a great new character with some terrific new moves Beautiful visuals and incredible cutscenes will constantly amaze you Boss characters are designed well and fun to fight.

The Bad
Environments and boss fights are repeated far too often Puzzles and platforming aren't much fun and chop up the pace too much.

slade

Picked it up today at VGP in Mississauga and sank about six - seven hours into the game. Got up to mission ten with Nero. Cutscenes aren't as awesome as DMC3's but the opening one with
Nero vs. Dante
is great. Especially loved the part where
Dante mocks Nero by mimicking the Red Queen's Rev function with Rebellion.
Anyway, can't wait to get to the Dante part and judging by how many moves I still have to buy for Nero, he'll definately be a very replayable character.

I thought the cutscenes in DMC3 were cool, but they also matched the spunky, less mature Dante. DMC4 is overall somewhat more "mature" and there is no smarmy Dante, and I think the cutscenes reflect that. I don't really need hip cutscenes this go-round.

Mrbob

C- Warrior said:
Your bitch ass better be playing on Devil Hunter.

If you play on Human and start bitching about A.I I'll fuckin kill Itagaki and mail his corpse to you ;)

Mwa hahahahaha.

I am not a DMC pro.

I will work my way up! :D

PS: The Ai sux!

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
For some reason I thought the demo was a lot slower (gameplay wise) than that of DMC3 and DMC. Is this just me? Or does it pick up in the full game?

I'm thinking of getting this.

Salazar

So tonight's entertainment in Australia comes from American political meltdowns rather than DMC4. I almost plunged for Burnout or Lost Odyssey when I checked for DMC - unexpectedly close call.

Tiduz said:
good point, i hope DMC5 will make everything clearer.

also Gamespot review is up, score: 8.0

The Good
Extraordinary action sequences highlighted by smooth controls and slick animations Nero is a great new character with some terrific new moves Beautiful visuals and incredible cutscenes will constantly amaze you Boss characters are designed well and fun to fight.

The Bad
Environments and boss fights are repeated far too often Puzzles and platforming aren't much fun and chop up the pace too much.
Good review, except for the "Nero is a great new character" part!! LOL, like a broken record.

Drewsy

Banned
Mrbob said:
Mwa hahahahaha.

I am not a DMC pro.

I will work my way up! :D

PS: The Ai sux!

Lol, I've never played DMC before, playing on Devil Hunter, and getting straight A's on every mission.

:lol

rockman zx said:
The forest stage is beautiful but at the same time awful because the shadows.So far I love but Nero is meh.

WHAT Nero is awesome

revving the sword, taunting, dropkicking, Hulk-smashing, catapulting, and charging enemies with IR fiery death is the most fun I've had in an action game!

MechaX

Some extremely brief impressions.

Wow. Mission 3 was the longest mission I've ever played in a DMC game.

Ugh. The camera angles in Fortuna Castle suck. I mean really, really suck. Like RE1 suckage.

I actually do like the Proud Soul system.

Knights > Ownage.

So far, I really like the game. But I guess we'll see what happens with the inevitable switch-over occurs.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
just saw the cutscene with SPARDA's sword in it, why take the rouble of rendering that weapon when you cant even use it ONCE?

Capcom are suck fucking teases

Mamesj

Banned
just beat mission 5-- great stuff so far. Nero has a lot of abilities to choose from, which helps make up for the lack of a style system.

clearly inferior to DMC3:SE so far, but I love it anyway.

Bebpo

Banned
Even on SoS, Dante is way too overpowered. With Nero on SoS you have to LEARN the boss patterns 95% perfectly, but Dante can still power through them pretty well with just using the tricks you learned in Nero's fight against them.

But man, starting Dante's levels with his full arsenal fully upgraded = ridiculous fun.

brandonh83 said:
WHAT Nero is awesome

revving the sword, taunting, dropkicking, Hulk-smashing, catapulting, and charging enemies with IR fiery death is the most fun I've had in an action game!

I mean the character, not the combat system for the character.

Narag

I forgot to save earlier so had to repeat the first 4 missions. This wasn't so bad as I didn't like the skill progression i was entertaining. Unfortunately now I've not spent a single red soul or proud soul this time around as I don't want to make a decision I'll regret. :lol

Drewsy

Banned
Narag said:
I forgot to save earlier so had to repeat the first 4 missions. This wasn't so bad as I didn't like the skill progression i was entertaining. Unfortunately now I've not spent a single red soul or proud soul this time around as I don't want to make a decision I'll regret. :lol

You do know that you can refund proud souls at any time, right?

The point is to let loose and have fun with all the different moves.

Narag

Drewsy said:
You do know that you can refund proud souls at any time, right?

The point is to let loose and have fun with all the different moves.

I had no idea! I'll finish this playthrough out this way at least. Its educational!

ram

whoa - reviewing the game must be fucking hard - capcom actually sends an papersheet full of restrictions (and spoilers) with the game. sooo funnnnyyy :lol

It's so hard to stop playing, but I have to get some sleep or work's gonna be a pain tomorrow.

But yeah, the 2nd boss fight
with the toad thing (Bael?) that has the angler fish bait was fucking sweet.

ram said:
whoa - reviewing the game must be fucking hard - capcom actually sends an papersheet full of restrictions (and spoilers) with the game. sooo funnnnyyy :lol

why are there so many restrictions for the review? Anybody who has been checking the official site knows whats going to be in the game. Does capcom really have somthing so special to unlock or do they not want to discourage fans of vergil who isnt in the game.

slade

Bebpo said:
Even on SoS, Dante is way too overpowered. With Nero on SoS you have to LEARN the boss patterns 95% perfectly, but Dante can still power through them pretty well with just using the tricks you learned in Nero's fight against them.

But man, starting Dante's levels with his full arsenal fully upgraded = ridiculous fun.

For DMC5, they need to drop Dante straight into hell so he can take on the four Demon Kings that now rule the place. That might be the only challenge left for him really.

Aladuf

Banned
ahh! I want to play this so bad but the 3 places I tried tonight said that it's released tomorrow, so I have to wait... :(

Chamber

love on your sleeve
brandonh83 said:
WHAT Nero is awesome

Indeed. I was a little afraid Nero might get old but there's a lot of variety there if you know what you're doing.

That said, I can't wait to get to Dante.:D

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
My LE pre-order doesn't arrive till tomorrow at Best Buy, and I avoided the temptation of buying a vanilla version tonight at EB in Chicago, but feck I am dying to play this. FECK!

Top Bottom