• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
DMC4SE was number 18 in NA PSN's top sellers in July.

It's also on sale right now for $18.99. All of us pretty much already have it, but the sale should give it a nice sales boost in August.

Seyavesh

dmc series sale?
clearly another sign
vxRAwo8.gif

Dahbomb

Where are them DMC5 rumors? I remember around this time in 2010 we were getting DmC rumors..

Does anyone think capcom might show DMC5 at the Sony tgs event 2 weeks prior?
We still a bit far from TGS, hardly any rumors for most other games as well.

Also Capcom has been holding down the leaks really well lately. People thought the SFV roster had been leaked but that ended up being not true. If they can keep SFV character roster in check then I doubt we will be seeing leaks for DMC5.

Seyavesh

i've been wondering...
what if instead of dmc5 the new dmc is actually a dmc1 remake? it feels like dmc1 dante has been showing up for quite a bit now in other stuff

like, i'd assume it's just folks using his most iconic look but i feel like that's actually his dmc3 one

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Udon provided parka blogs with an advance copy of DMC3142...

http://www.parkablogs.com/content/book-review-devil-may-cry-3142-graphic-arts

Which begs the question, why the delay? To release alongside the DMC5 announcement of course!

i've been wondering...
what if instead of dmc5 the new dmc is actually a dmc1 remake? it feels like dmc1 dante has been showing up for quite a bit now in other stuff

like, i'd assume it's just folks using his most iconic look but i feel like that's actually his dmc3 one

People still consider his DMC1 costume the most mainstream and least offensive costume. It's about as neutral as you can get, and that's why you end up seeing it everywhere. That's always been the case.

I would be fine with a DMC1 remake, but I also kind of feel like it's a wasted opportunity. I don't really know if it's necessary.

Dahbomb

I would play it of course but it's not really that necessary at this time.

Chances are that if they do remake it then they would try to make it as much like DMC3/DMC4 as possible (for series consistency sake) which would mean that they might lose some of the charm that was exclusive to DMC1.

I think DMC5 is the most obvious course of action here. It's ripe for the plucking.

Coda

I would play it of course but it's not really that necessary at this time.

Chances are that if they do remake it then they would try to make it as much like DMC3/DMC4 as possible (for series consistency sake) which would mean that they might lose some of the charm that was exclusive to DMC1.

I think DMC5 is the most obvious course of action here. It's ripe for the plucking.

I would much rather have a DMC game where either you can play as multiple protagonists or like a side story featuring Lady. Or a co-op campaign with Dante and Lady would be gnarly.

I'm no DMC lorefriend so I don't know if it's plausible at all but I want more rivalry between Dante and Vergil. Preferably both being playable too.

Playing as Vergil in this game is the most fun I've had with this series.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'm no DMC lorefriend so I don't know if it's plausible at all but I want more rivalry between Dante and Vergil. Preferably both being playable too.

Playing as Vergil in this game is the most fun I've had with this series.

I have zero doubts that Vergil will be playable in future games. At this point, it's tradition. As for bringing him back into the story? They could easily come up with a plausible way for him to return. Most fans wouldn't bat an eye at it.

1) Since it was brought up on another thread, (and I can't link to outside forums).
Found this a several years back. DMC4 Pachislot. Pretty hype.

2) We hit 100 pages. HYPE! Almost beating the GameCube appreciation thread!

3) Hype ...again. Bumping this in case anyone still wants to join in.
MoYXpnK.png

(Yes it was made in paint)

Here is our chance for a NeoGAF Collaboration CMV.
If you're unsure of what one of these is, here is an example. Much like that, I wanna make a video featuring all of you. A video that will showcase the very best of what the NeoGAF DMC4 community has to offer.

FAQs
Q) Who can enter?
A) Only members within the NeoGAF community. No outsiders.

Q) I want to enter. How many videos can I submit?
A) 3. Each player has a limit of 3 videos that they can submit. This means you can submit 1 video if that's all you can come up with. I want as many people to be featured as possible, even it means you have one combo section lasting 20 seconds.

Q) What are the character restrictions?
A) None. This is a completely open CMV. If you wanna use Super Nero on Normal speed fighting Basilisks on HaH difficulty, by means do. Most people will play on Turbo DMD, but again, this is completely open. Have as much fun as you can on a difficulty, stage and/or character setting that suits you. You can submit 3 Nero combo videos, or 2 Vergil and 1 Dante. Just so long as it's a maximum of 3.

Q) What are the enemy restrictions
A) Any enemy that you can combo and make look interesting to style on. This usually means no bosses but if you can make a boss fight interesting or can combo them, do so.

Q) What are game restrictions?
A) I know a lot of you here are PC players, so please no debug menu combos. Feel free to use costume modes or any cosmetic changes. Just nothing that changes the way the game runs(This really only applies to PC players)

Q) How long should my video(s) last?
A) It's a bit hard to say but I think any single combo video that lasts over 60 seconds is a bit much. Imagine we have a 10 minute video and one of your videos 1/10 of the length. I'm not saying don't make them long or that 60 seconds is too much, but make them brief and concise.

Q) What can I use to record? Quality settings?
A) For us console plebs we can use the built in Game DVR that the Xbox One and PS4 have. Or you can use a capture. For PC players, you can use any software you like.
As for quality, please make it as best as possible. 720p minimum or at least a quality that doesn't look like we're in 1995.

Q) Who will edit this together?
A) Me (BumblebeeCody/Mariotaz/Taz(real name).

Q) I have my 1/2/3 combo(s), how do I submit them?
A) Upload your video file to a file hosting website such as Mega or Media fire. Send me a PM and I'll download it so I edit it.

Q) How much input do I have on the creation of the video?
A) As much as you can offer. Even though it'll be me making the CMV, if you have a recommended song you think would be cool or you want certain text to appear and represent you(plug your Twitch/YouTube channel in the credits) then let me know. I'll be doing updates just to let you all know how it's going too.

Q) Aren't you just doing this for your own YouTube?
A) The idea is that once I've finished editing the video, I'll provide everyone with a download link so they can download it and upload it to their own channel too. It's for everyone to show off :)

Q) OK So what's the deadline for my submission?
A) You from now (August 4th) to (August 31st) to submit your video(s) to me.

Note:
1) Work hard on this. I wanna see some sick combos. Combos that you spent hours on to perfectly refine. Just for a few 30 second clips I've spent 5 or so hours on. I'm not saying you have to do the same, but you have a month to really up your game and make some special.
2) I wanna see as many people participate. Even if I only get 2 other people submitting combos, that's fine by me(easy editing then). But if we get a decent amount of people showing off their tech, that'd be awesome :)
3) Have faith in your own abilities. Basically, don't get put off by the higher pro players out there. This is a video for us and by us. Submit a combo video you're happy with regardless of other peoples skill.
4) Be creative. Experiment as much as possible with your character(s)
5) Have fun

Son Of D

i've been wondering...

It's something that's crossed my mind admittedly. Especially with the 15th anniversary of DMC being next year. However I feel that Capcom are more likely to just put the PS3/360 collection on PS4/XB1/PC instead of a full DMC1 remake with DMC5 being later in 2016 or early 2017.

I need some help/tips/whatever.
Everywhere I go I hear that Vergil is OP, but I honestly have an easier time with Nero, Dante and Lady. Are there certain moves or techniques that are OP?
For the record, Im an average player. I looked up the just frame judgment cut, which I hear is OP, but it is ridiculously hard to do. At least for me it is.

Maybe its OP for people who know what theyre doing, but not to average players. It almost cancels itself out.
Or maybe Im just missing something. If theres any youtubes videos that will help me get better with Vergil, thatd be cool to know about. Thanks.

Everywhere I go I hear that Vergil is OP, but I honestly have an easier time with Nero, Dante and Lady. Are there certain moves or techniques that are OP?
For the record, Im an average player. I looked up the just frame judgment cut, which I hear is OP, but it is ridiculously hard to do. At least for me it is.

Maybe its OP for people who know what theyre doing, but not to average players. It almost cancels itself out.
Or maybe Im just missing something. If theres any youtubes videos that will help me get better with Vergil, thatd be cool to know about. Thanks.

Vergil can cancel anything, can put ridiculous pressure on bosses and most enemies, and a number of his moves apparently have invincibility frames or something.

The game is still overall easier with Nero because of how much damage Charge Shot 3 and Buster do, I'd say.

Dahbomb

Are you maxed out with Vergil?

There are three things that makes Vergil powerful even for a new player:

1) You can spam Summoned Swords while attacking. It's free damage added to all of your attack. Just map the Shoot button to a shoulder button so you can spam with ease.

2) Vergil's attacks at full Concentration bar are really powerful. Especially moves like Lunar Phase which can lob health off of enemies really easily.

3) Teleport cancel. Just about any action you do can be canceled into a teleport which means Vergil can always be on an enemy. You are also invulnerable while teleporting so you can be in someone's face, teleport to evade and keep the pressure. The cancel property allows for a wide array of combat properties and it's pretty easy to exploit. The common stuff is doing something like Rapid Slash through Angelos then cancel the recovery to appear right behind them to hit their vulnerable spots.

Seyavesh

are you using his summon sword formations and devil trigger?
this sounds obvious, but both of those things when his concentration is maxed out make him do bonkers damage, especially the forward+shoot hold formation (shooty swords)
don't be afraid to do them literally 100% of the time as vergil's meter build is super high

if you're having trouble keeping concentration up, just launch an enemy and then stand there for a second. vergil's concentration bar skyrockets whenever he's near an enemy and standing still and will max out in about 2 seconds if done so.

I have not been paying attention to the concentration bar or using devil trigger. At all. I figured I could just do it without them.
Hmmm. I might be an idiot.

Ill go and give it a shot. Ive been stuck on fighting some blitzes in ch. 4 for a while now.

Thanks guys.

Seyavesh

I have not been paying attention to the concentration bar or using devil trigger. At all. I figured I could just do it without them.

Ill go and give it a shot. Ive been stuck on fighting some blitzes in ch. 4 for a while now.

Thanks guys.

are you talkin' about in the first fight?
try using the top in that room to clear 'em out, it's basically there only for that purpose

with blitz i just use a lame strategy and do shooty swords (when shield is down) + spiral swords (when shield is up) + regular summon swords nonstop while mashing on teleport to match with them so they can never hit me
the post below's heavy rain swords + level 3 beowulf charge also ends those encounters nearly instantly once you have their shield down

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

You've already seen Chaser's video tutorial I'm guessing?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF16RaBq9V4

For beginners, Vergil just does so much damage. He can end most encounters by simply doing Rapid Slash over and over again, and canceling the recovery into teleport each time. It will stunlock most enemies until death. Combine it with summon sword formations and he's untouchable.

His fully charged Beowulf moves in high concentration (lvl3) do absurd damage to bosses. If you're having trouble with a boss, just use Heavy Rain Swords to freeze them, then fully charge a Beowulf attack.

Thanks guys.

For Blitzes in general, his sword formation that fires forward, blistering swords, removes their lightning armor very quickly. Utilize that. Once they're dearmored, just charge up that Beowulf.

Dahbomb

Yeah burn that meter. Devil Trigger + Spiral Swords (forward formation) + Lunar Phase = Monstrous damage on anything.

If you manage to get a charged hit of Beowulf off in max concentration while in DT it can one shot just about anything in the game (and take half life on bosses in DMD mode).

Legendary Dark Knight mode is really just not fun and doesn't seem well thought out.

This is becoming especially clear during that start of mission 5 with all the Mephistos (flying cloaked things). It takes an annoyingly long amount of time to kill them with either spamming the devil bringer on one and killing them one at a time, or charging up a level 3 shot and hopefully getting them in a mob. Ugh..

Golnei

Legendary Dark Knight mode is really just not fun and doesn't seem well thought out.

This is becoming especially clear during that start of mission 5 with all the Mephistos (flying cloaked things). It takes an annoyingly long amount of time to kill them with either spamming the devil bringer on one and killing them one at a time, or charging up a level 3 shot and hopefully getting them in a mob. Ugh..

The mode isn't really balanced around Dante and Nero; seeing as it was more of an afterthought in the original game. It's a lot more enjoyable when using Vergil, Trish and Lady, since they were designed with LDK in mind from the outset - it's still more of a bonus side thing rather than the intended encounter design, but their focus on crowd control makes things much less awkward.

gunbo13

3) Hype ...again. Bumping this in case anyone still wants to join in.
Are you allowing debug combos?

Vergil is OP because he is OP. Every enemy/boss is an absolute joke when you master his skill set. He even has OP counter moves for every enemy.

Scarecrows - teleports cancels, melee pressure
Frosts - sword storm
Assault - rapid slash
Gladius - judgement cuts
Mephisto & Faust - sword pressure, spiral swords, aerial rave, judgement cuts
Angelos - use rapid slash to get behind blancos then kill. For altos, use drive or beowulf cancels.
Blitz - drive cancels and sword pressure
etc...

For bosses, just rushdown and use your teleports to stay safe. They are jokes as well. You can always just abuse beowulf.

He has zero weaknesses and his power makes combos challenging.

Seyavesh

Are you allowing debug combos?
Q) What are game restrictions?
A) I know a lot of you here are PC players, so please no debug menu combos. Feel free to use costume modes or any cosmetic changes. Just nothing that changes the way the game runs(This really only applies to PC players)

i'm currently in a rut w/ my trish gameplay- can't find any real combos that satisfy me because enemies melt too quickly for the fun JC pandora gimmick to work on 'em for a cool manner or i don't understand how to get them to not flip out of my combo
that and i'm still at a loss for finding stuff that makes trish's general gameplay flow with more variance as i get this same-y feel from most of the other trish footage i've seen and i'm tryin' to avoid that, especially on an aesthetic level

BadWolf

REmake 2 officially confirmed to be in development.

I don't want to get my hopes up for TGS but I'm getting my hopes up for TGS.

Sesha

Now that TLG, FF7R, Shenmue 3, Nier 2, DQ11, Mafia 3, RE2R and others are all real, and Blizzard is talking about the possibility of Warcraft 4, it's just a matter of time before DMC5, Chrono Break, Half-Life 3, and more get announced.

I think it's pretty clear that all those pipe dream games had to pay tribute before the greatest game of all time could be revealed..
DMC5

GuardianE made it to the top 5 again.
All right people, the Lady submissions are in, the Top Five has been selected, and the vote begins now. Hit the jump to watch and vote!

The Bianco and Alto Angel enemies featured in this fight are some of the most mobile enemies in the game in contrast to the relatively immobile Lady, who only has a couple of tools for quick repositioning, and very few defensive options. Nevertheless, this round brought us some interesting applications of her moveset; look out for slick and creative evasive maneuvers, some aerial melee with jump canceling, and some devastating—and frankly bizarre—parries.

Voting Deadline: Friday, August 14th at noon (PT).

Mr. X
GuardianE
Leo Omega
GarudaPSN
IKevinX
Capcom Unity

gunbo13

GuardianE has my vote. I automatically eliminate submissions that do silly reflect attacks that blow up your prey. That's the cowards way.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
GuardianE made it to the top 5 again.

Capcom Unity

Yay! Wow, this round was slim pickings. Lady just has real problems dealing with Angelos stylishly. Juggles or launchers that work for most other enemies just don't work on Angelos. UT, I definitely think you deserved to be in there after watching all of the entries. :( I'm not a fan of reflect kills, either.

Here's a better look at the Lady taunt-dodge from a failed attempt I had. I wish it was a little more obvious in the entry I selected, but hopefully I got the idea across:

JgpAhEY.gif

I thought it was kind of neat. It was hard trying to find stylish things for this round that you could do consistently given the Angelos' patterns. :(

I probably didn't get in due to my potato quality. I'd hope that I got the pizza box for PS4 for better quality recording :( Its probably fine. Thanks guys ;___;
Yay! Wow, this round was slim pickings. Lady just has real problems dealing with Angelos stylishly. Juggles or launchers that work for most other enemies just don't work on Angelos. UT, I definitely think you deserved to be in there after watching all of the entries. :( I'm not a fan of reflect kills, either.

Here's a better look at the Lady taunt-dodge from a failed attempt I had. I wish it was a little more obvious in the entry I selected, but hopefully I got the idea across:
I thought it was kind of neat. It was hard trying to find stylish things for this round that you could do consistently given the Angelos' patterns. :(
Huh. I thought it was kinda off that some of my attempts of the shoe tying taunt to dodge had more leniency. Didn't think it was that taunt was that good.

Are the reflects always instakills? I never actually done it. Its way more fun to dodge em.

Nice entries it's just a shame it was this area. Lady can combo scarecrows really well. Biancos are probably the worst. :(
Nice stuff anyway.
Dunno who to vote for

Vergil next :D

gunbo13

Taunt dodge is nice. Where is the link to UT's robbed submission?

I'm prepped as best as I can for Vergil. I'm only going to have a few hours to cap so likely that will make my chances slim to none.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I probably didn't get in due to my potato quality. I'd hope that I got the pizza box for PS4 for better quality recording :( Its probably fine. Thanks guys ;___;

Huh. I thought it was kinda off that some of my attempts of the shoe tying taunt to dodge had more leniency. Didn't think it was that taunt was that good.

Are the reflects always instakills? I never actually done it. Its way more fun to dodge em.

How are you currently recording? I actually thought the quality was fine. It cut off sort of abruptly, but the quality didn't affect me.

The taunt has really limited uses as a dodge. Not only is it slow, it's move dependent. In most cases, the flying stinger that the Biancos did in your opening can't be low profiled. It's on a move by move basis, as some moves looks like they should hit (like the shield bash or Altos charging slash) but don't.

The ball reflects are pretty much always instant kills and bump you up to S style. There are rare circumstances where I've seen one angelo survive or something, but it's not that common. I think the ball also freezes them in place, so even if they survive, you can just pick them off.

Also, you did Maximum Ground Zeroes in your video, which I think is one of the more interesting things Lady has. No one else did that except me, and that shit is tough to do on Turbo.

I do really badly against Frosts as Vergil. I don't know how to avoid their ground pound other than running away, since Vergil doesn't have a double jump and Trick Up isn't an adequate substitute.

Seyavesh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3ckIogX0tQ

this dude's trish combos, damn they're so nice!
they maximize the hell out of her limited moveset and flow so quickly + naturally

also you can just jump to avoid the ground pound from frosts, it basically doesn't have an aerial hitbox and isn't active for very long. as long as you're off the floor when the ice pops up you'll be fine even if the ice is clipping right through you.

ShinMaruku

I do really badly against Frosts as Vergil. I don't know how to avoid their ground pound other than running away, since Vergil doesn't have a double jump and Trick Up isn't an adequate substitute.

Use Ifrmaes in roll and jumping. Also try to stop them from starting the bullshit with a well place stinger. Vergil's stinger is a great stopping move for a great many things with proper timing.

gunbo13

they maximize the hell out of her limited moveset and flow so quickly + naturally
Fake debug though. But still good to watch to find tech.

I like using the lightning like stairs and canceling her pull with what I believe is the pistol.

EDIT:
OK, I figured I have done mostly everything Vergil. What is the hell is this?
cIuT8p.gif

I get the intertia JC but how is the backward movement possible?

EDIT2:
I'll have to test air stinger into swords I guess. Some crazy physics going on there.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

they maximize the hell out of her limited moveset and flow so quickly + naturallyu.

That's so sick! I appreciate combos that look like they're designed around the characters' unique strengths, which I think you do as well. This video really plays into how important positioning seems to be for Trish. She has long distance persistent straight vertical and horizontal hitboxes in cardinal directions and diagonally with the lightning dive kicks, so it allows her to basically set up a variety of intricate juggles from a distance.

I wonder why he was using basilisks at the beginning?

Right now I'm using OBS to record my 480p 60fps gameplay as a 780x438 video then I upscale the video so I can upload at 60fps on youtube.

Maybe they DQd you because of that? I would hope that they wouldnt. I really didn't notice that it was originally recorded at 480p!

Seyavesh

I get the intertia JC but how is the backward movement possible?

EDIT2:
I'll have to test air stinger into swords I guess. Some crazy physics going on there.

i believe he is doing air stinger-> enemy step backwards->swing yamato and letting the intertia off vergil's jump carry him away
kinda like how you see him do lunar phase->JC back-> DT guns as trish and she starts flyin away

edit:
see:
http://webm.host/0f1b4/

Top Bottom